Mothering Forum banner

Baby shampoo recs

2K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  Tari Mithrandir 
#1 ·
I put this in family safety because of the risk of possible carcinogens in mainstream baby products....I had read a little here and there about it before, but it just now hit me(as I was looking for stuff to put on my registry for my in-utero babe) that I've been washing my 3 yo's hair/body with Parents Choice, and I don't think I'm going to do that anymore.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decently priced baby shampoo? I'm considering this one, but not sure if we can continuously pay that much for shampoo, even if it is a big container....

why does it seem like all the affordable stuff is always what's bad for us?
Ugh.

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
I'm considering this one, but not sure if we can continuously pay that much for shampoo, even if it is a big container....
That's what we use. The nice thing about it is a little goes a long way. One of those big containers lasts us forever, so it's not too bad as far as cost goes.

ETA - That is a really good price too. Best I've seen actually.

#4 ·
I ordered California Baby via the internet, as it was not available locally. We went through less than 2 bottles in DS' first year. The use started to speed up when DH started to use it as his shampoo/body wash. I put a stop to that!

#8 ·
I use California Baby too. I like the scent of the one you linked, but I think the scent it is a little strong. It has a lavender EO scent, which is very nice, but for my little one, I prefer the unscented one.

http://www.californiababy.com/super-...sh-8-5-oz.html

I also like their sunscreens, for times we need to use sunscreen. I try not to use sunscreen, but all day in the sun like pools, beach, soccer tournaments, etc, their sunscreen is rated as one of the least toxic.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?comp_id=268

#13 ·
I use the Sappo Hill oatmeal soap. It's so gentle and just smells clean - not like perfumes or herbs. I only spot clean DD and only wash the fringes of her hair when it's too milky or has too much food in it. I usually just rinse DD w/ water filtered by a bath ball to remove chlorine.

I originally washed her hair about 2x per month with the Cal Baby stuff, but that was too much and it really dried her hair out and caused it to be a tangled, frizzy mess. Plus, I didn't really like the smell of the Cal Baby wash.

#15 ·
we've been using the Method baby stuff- or Kiss my Face for my bigger kid...sometimes the California baby, or Burts Bees, or YEs to Carrots.

I know not all of these are the BEST choice, but I feel better about them than Johnson's or whatever, yk? I basically buy whichever ones are on sale at our grocery/target - our grocery is GIGANTIC like a general store.

They only get their hair washed about 1x a week too - with baths on an as needed basis (more in the summer, 1x a week in the winter) Usually no soap at all.

#16 ·
You don't need to wash a baby's hair almost ever. Water should do the trick. We've switched to Dr. Bronner's for everyone and everything (don't use peppermint though - too stingy). I only wash the kids' heads once a week maybe, if that. Butts and feet are the only other things that require soap.

#17 ·
We also use California Baby (I prefer the unscented, super sensitive line) and it does last a long time. It's concentrated so you only need a little dab. You can even dilute it with water.

We also love Dr. Bronner's soaps. I love the baby mild shikakai for body wash for myself and it can also be used as shampoo.

We also don't wash the LO's hair very often. I would say about once a week with anything other than water. They are boys, and their hair is rather short, though.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
I put this in family safety because of the risk of possible carcinogens in mainstream baby products....I had read a little here and there about it before, but it just now hit me(as I was looking for stuff to put on my registry for my in-utero babe) that I've been washing my 3 yo's hair/body with Parents Choice, and I don't think I'm going to do that anymore.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decently priced baby shampoo? I'm considering this one, but not sure if we can continuously pay that much for shampoo, even if it is a big container....

why does it seem like all the affordable stuff is always what's bad for us?
Ugh.
Yes to california baby super sensitive line and Yes to that particular site! Have had very good experiences w/both!

gl
hth

#19 ·
Our family used CalBen's natural soaps for everything around the house. Their prices are great, they're very upfront about ingredients and it's all great stuff.

From birth we've used the shampoo on our babes, diluted by half for easy rinsing. Lasts a really long time!

#20 ·
We're using the Burt's Bees at the moment, until it runs out. Then I will be deciding between the Calif. Baby and the Burt's again... We have the regular size Burt's bottle (13 oz or around that) and have been using it since last November, and we still have half the bottle left (and we use it for hair and body, only need a tiny dab).
GL with your choice!

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
I ordered California Baby via the internet, as it was not available locally. We went through less than 2 bottles in DS' first year. The use started to speed up when DH started to use it as his shampoo/body wash. I put a stop to that!

I am impressed with your frugality! DH thinks a bottle a week is acceptable.
: I would tell him how much it costs, but then he would know how much it costs!

#23 ·
We use California Baby too, and like the others said, a little goes a long way. I have four kids and we go through 3 smaller bottles in a year's time - that's only about $30. And that's also using it as both bodywash AND shampoo.

Burt's Bees got sold out to Clorox, and quite frankly I don't trust 'em anymore. Cosmetic Database has them in the moderate hazard categories, whereas CA Baby is low hazard. So we stopped using B's Bees.

#24 ·
Does anyone just use handmade soap???

I am looking at making my own for baby if I don't need a seperate shampoo for a while.

Note: I have been making soap for years so I know what I am doing in those regards

Quote:
Burt's Bees got sold out to Clorox, and quite frankly I don't trust 'em anymore. Cosmetic Database has them in the moderate hazard categories, whereas CA Baby is low hazard. So we stopped using B's Bees.
I so agree!!!!! It is so sad when the little guys who do good things go the way of big companies.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.