Going no-shampoo!! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 356 Old 12-26-2004, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
on friday, i washed with dr. bronners almond castille soap... and while my hair still doesn't feel greasy, my head ITCHES... i just did a warm water "wash" and an acv rinse, so i hope that will help. my hair feels nice though.

i used olive oil soap a few times before i got the bronners... and i think that actually might have worked better... anyone else have a similar experience?? i have fine medium length hair that tends to get greasy after a day (with regular poo).

the bs did NOT work for me at all... my hair was limp and greasy.
#332 of 356 Old 12-26-2004, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm so glad I found this thread (and figured out what you were talking about. When I saw previous "no poo" threads I wondered if you were all constipated or something.)

We just started the Feingold Program, which eliminates certain synthetic additives as well as natural salycylates from both foods and personal care products. Most shampoos contain the no-no additives and/or the natural salycilates, and only a handful are in the Foodlist and Shopping Guide.

I could not beleive how EXPENSIVE the Feingold-approved shampoos are!!!!

I came in here looking for some recipes for natural shampoos.

Now, I know I can play around with my own hair, and my 3yo would gladly switch to bathing with just plain water (he'd rather not bathe at all, but that's not a realistic option for a kid who's still in diapers and likes to wipe snot all over his face )

I'm actually feeling a lot less guilty now about how infrequently I've managed to bathe my kids this past week For myself, I've stopped using shampoo because the scents were irritating me- I've been using glycerine soap to wash my face and hair (which still turns into a greaseball after a day) and using small amounts of palm oil as a conditioner (it does make my hair look greasy though, maybe I'll try olive oil next time.) I've found that the palm oil is GREAT as an after-bath moisturizer as well as for chapped lips!

How do I go about natural shampoos/no shampoos for a 10yo pre-pubescent who's just starting with the body odor thing? How about an 8yo pre-pubescent who's incredibly sensitive to such things as soap in her eyes and whos hair is usually a sticky, tangled mess?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#333 of 356 Old 12-26-2004, 08:21 PM

goatlady (love the name btw) day one I noticed an improvement, but thought I was just imagining it. By the end of the week -- practically nil!

I love being shampoo free -- I'm slowly converting my co-workers

Gabba Gabba Hey!
#334 of 356 Old 12-26-2004, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyLittles
on friday, i washed with dr. bronners almond castille soap... and while my hair still doesn't feel greasy, my head ITCHES... i just did a warm water "wash" and an acv rinse, so i hope that will help. my hair feels nice though.

i used olive oil soap a few times before i got the bronners... and i think that actually might have worked better... anyone else have a similar experience?? i have fine medium length hair that tends to get greasy after a day (with regular poo).

the bs did NOT work for me at all... my hair was limp and greasy.
**update**

well, the warm water wash + acv rinse made my hair worse. it doesnt feel all that bad, but it LOOKS stringy and my scalp still itches. back to the drawing board!!
#335 of 356 Old 12-26-2004, 09:44 PM

I used Dr. B's (diluted) a couple of times and I also had the problem with scalp itching, plus it just dried it out too much.....I had the scalp itchies for about a week or so until it just quit. I don't know why it was doing that unless it was just an adjustment of the scalp skin.
#336 of 356 Old 12-26-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom
I used Dr. B's (diluted) a couple of times and I also had the problem with scalp itching, plus it just dried it out too much.....I had the scalp itchies for about a week or so until it just quit. I don't know why it was doing that unless it was just an adjustment of the scalp skin.
so is this normal, and will it go away?? can i keep using the bronners, or do you think that maybe bronners + my head = don't mix?? it definately got my hair nice and clean and kept it that way much longer than detergent shampoo...

i am thinking of trying the terressentials stuff too... anyone have an experience with that stuff??

thanks
#337 of 356 Old 12-27-2004, 11:27 AM

just tried it. My dh is going to die. LOL He can't stand the smell of vinegar and I used about a tsp and my bathroom smells. Hopefully that smell will be gone in 8 hours. Heres another reason to do bs and acv. When my shower drain gets clogged what did I use to unclog it...bs with hot hot water and then vinegar. LOL Now my hair is still wet but it wasn't any harder to detangle today then yesterday. My hair used to be able to go every other day with washing and I'm using the cheapie suave and having to wash daily because of oily yucky scalp. Here's to hopefully going back to not washing every single day. I"m so glad this thread is here. Thank you ladies.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#338 of 356 Old 12-27-2004, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyLittles
so is this normal, and will it go away?? can i keep using the bronners, or do you think that maybe bronners + my head = don't mix?? it definately got my hair nice and clean and kept it that way much longer than detergent shampoo...

i am thinking of trying the terressentials stuff too... anyone have an experience with that stuff??

thanks
Wish I could answer, but I stopped it as it was too drying for me. I'd say unless you are breaking out, if you like it, keep using it for a week or so and see what happens....
#339 of 356 Old 01-09-2005, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
bump

"What will you do once you know?"
#340 of 356 Old 01-09-2005, 08:14 AM

For scalp problems - itching or flaking, you can try adding a drop or two of rosemary eo to the rinse.

Remember that your scalp has been used to having to produce extra oil to cope with being shampooed out every day (or fairly often anyway). When you stop, it doesn't suddenly stop producing this extra oil. It can take a number of weeks (4-6) to settle down depending on what alternative you are using and how often you are rinsing it.

The best is to try and stretch out the number of days in between wetting it at all or the effects are not as good. Try going 2 days then 3, and eventually stretch it out to a week - with thick long hair you can go longer in between than with fine short hair.

Scalp massage is also good for improving the hair quality, especially if you are finding your hair is dry. Once a day tip your head right over and massage your scalp in small circles (not rubbing the scalp but really massaging it).

After the first few weeks, it's worth trying anything new at least a few times before you decide whether it's working for you or not.

And remember those eggs for conditioning - I haven't been brave enough yet, but haven't really needed them either - 9 months no-poo.

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

#341 of 356 Old 01-09-2005, 09:37 AM

dinade,
My DH doesn`t like the smell of vinegar either. I rinse with lemon juice or citric acid. I get the powder at the drug store and just mix it with warm water.

I love no poo!
Kathryn
#342 of 356 Old 01-09-2005, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcenciel
Remember that your scalp has been used to having to produce extra oil to cope with being shampooed out every day (or fairly often anyway). When you stop, it doesn't suddenly stop producing this extra oil. It can take a number of weeks (4-6) to settle down depending on what alternative you are using and how often you are rinsing it.
And remember those eggs for conditioning - I haven't been brave enough yet, but haven't really needed them either - 9 months no-poo.
It took my hair 5 months to go from daily shampooing to 1X per week washing. I tried the egg a few times. I liked it except for having to pick cooked egg bits out of my hair. I just couldn't pour cold water onto my head to rinse it out. (BTW -- I also never manage to go swimming because of the water being too cold. I like hot water.)

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#343 of 356 Old 01-09-2005, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK, I've been "no shampoo" for a few weeks now. I'm still washing my hair daily or it turns into a greaseball (I either use soap or a small amount of baking soda.) I'm not washing it the same way though- no longer scrubbing to get all the oil off my scalp (which I used to think was "essential") but I just use enough soap to get rid of the greasies on the visible part of my hair.

One thing I have noticed is that I no longer need to use conditioner- the ends of my hair are staying nice and soft. And, I have noticed that I've been able to skip a day occasionally. Is this a sign that my scalp is healing and I'll be able to wash my hair less often in the future?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#344 of 356 Old 01-11-2005, 04:11 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and that it has been one year since i've been no 'poo!!! VERY exciting. my 2yo dd is also 'poo free, and soap free as well.
my routine varies depending on if i have to go out or to meetings, but in general i "wash" my hair w/ bs and a vinegar rinse every 4-5 days. in between i rinse w/ just water.

so glad that i found this thread way back when.

#345 of 356 Old 01-11-2005, 06:50 PM

First I wanted to thank all of you for bringing this to my attention. I always thought that the reason my daughters hair looked so good was from nursing. And was dreading the end of nursing and her beautiful hair! But now I see its cuz it is rarely washed! So I started this, and was helped by my obsessive buying of handmade soap. Turns out about a month ago I picked up a shampoo bar for oily hair thinking that maybe I will use it one day. So I started using that, it has only been about a week, but I have only washed my hair with it twice, and no greasies so far. I started using the bar on my face too, since that is also oily. So now I scrub my hair, never realized how clean it could feel with just a water scrub and when I wash my face I just do my hair line a little and I am good! It's amazing! So you know I used to be one that had to wash their hair everyday and it still looked oily at night. The weird thing is that my hair actually looks darker! But now I am having a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I don't think I can use that bar on my face, it is getting splotchy and itchy. I used to use the gerber baby soap, but don't want to use that know since I have been enlightened. So does anyone know what to do with oily dry itchy skin? Thank you again, this post has changed my life!
#346 of 356 Old 01-11-2005, 08:44 PM

nak i read about someone using organic coconut oil as a facial cleaner. i'll have to see if i can find it.

read here
and here
#347 of 356 Old 01-11-2005, 09:25 PM

Jumping on this band wagon I am now on day three with no shampoo...a HUGE deal for me, as I used to wash it w/shampoo everyday. My hair is like many others here...fine and becomes oily quickly. I bought a boar bristle brush, and I like it even though it doesn't seem to go all the way through my hair. Maybe it's because my hair is thick--fine strands but LOTS of it!

I have decided to go no 'poo on my little ones, too. I'm sure I will be back here looking for support. I'm not telling people IRL about this until I see how it goes.

Think I'll try the baking soda and ACV rinse tonight
#348 of 356 Old 01-11-2005, 11:16 PM

I made my first attempt at washing with baking soda and ACV a few days ago. But I made a big mistake: I used way too much ACV!! I didn't realize that it's supposed to be diluted.

Ever since, my hair has been dull, dull, dull! Stringy, too. What should I do???
#349 of 356 Old 01-12-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyer
I made my first attempt at washing with baking soda and ACV a few days ago. But I made a big mistake: I used way too much ACV!! I didn't realize that it's supposed to be diluted.

Ever since, my hair has been dull, dull, dull! Stringy, too. What should I do???
I'd try doing a plain water wash with your next shower. Just lots of warm water and a good scalp massage.
#350 of 356 Old 01-12-2005, 06:14 PM

nak
here's a bunch of great recipes. i haven't tried the shampoo one.

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/383
#351 of 356 Old 01-12-2005, 06:38 PM

how inspiring. i had read some recipes for dry powder shampoos, no water. they recommended dousig scalp with a little powder and brushing out with a natural fiber comb or brush outside.

some of the suggestions were

each on their own

salt coarse

cornmeal (leaves hair really shinny)

orrisroot powder (extra brusing but leaves hair with a violet scent)

massage chosen powder into scalp, leave on for 15 minutes.

brush outside until powder comes out.

im going to try the baking soda and apple cider vinegar rinse.

honey for light hair, molasses for dark, apply in shower rinse throughly for natural conditioner. my sister tried this and said it worked great.
#352 of 356 Old 01-12-2005, 06:44 PM

vnjw: you have it listed that you are in hawaii.

kukui nut oil, is one of the best oils for balanicing your skin, especially sensitive facial tissue. kukui nut tree is everywhere in hawaii i thought and people sold simple products of it their.
#353 of 356 Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 AM

First hair wash w/o shampoo today...bs and acv rinse...hair looks great
#354 of 356 Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 AM

I jumped off the wagon (the shampoo wagon, that is) this weekend. Here's what I learned so far:

Thursday: used sodium laurel sulfate-free, pthalate-free, and "cone" free shampoo as normal

Friday: decided to just do a water-rinse while in the shower and see how long I could go without using shampoo. Wore a hat, because I felt self-conscious.

Saturday: tried an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. My hair loved it and I haven't had softer hair in the shower. Had a good feeling about it.

Later Saturday: My hair was SO greasy it never really looked like it dried. Kept a hat on all day, and even slept in one at night so I wouldn't ruin my pillowcase!

Sunday a.m.: Washed with Baking Soda mixed with water. I applied it with a squirt bottle with a pointy tip like hairdressers use when applying color, so I could get my scalp, not just the hair. Then rinsed only the ends with ACV mixed with 4 drops essential oil (I used Auracacia's Purify). Best day yet. My hair was fluffy, NOT greasy and smelled wonderful!

From what I've read online, there is really a trial and error period for everyone, and each person will have to come up with their own system that works for them. the most helpful thing I found was located at:

http://web.mac.com/jfmori/iWeb/nz/No...xperiment.html

It is a blog with photos of a woman's No-Poo experiment. It was very encouraging and helpful.

Good luck to you all!

GloriLynn
#355 of 356 Old 04-28-2008, 03:06 PM

Reading a bit more about it I think I will keep trying. My hair seems dry but yet still oily, if that makes sense. Dry and stringy, not attractive.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#356 of 356 Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM

Finally went no-poo. I'm 6 days in. How often can I use bs/ACV? I was really shocked how well it worked!!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page