Going no-shampoo!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 356 Old 01-25-2004, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spyiispy, thanks for the herbal hair helpers. now i know what to whip up to keep me lookin' gorgeous!

today is day #6. my hair feels awesome. for the first time in as long as i can remember my head doesn't itch. last monday i used baking soda and did and apple cider vinegar rinse. hair and scalp felt better afterward. clean, not slimy. i have just been rinsing with warm water when i shower and did another apple cider vinegar rinse in the middle of the week. i used some evoo yesterday and just left it in to see how it would feel and wore a head scarf. today it feels pretty good but i'll rinse the oil out when i shower. i should have done this a long time ago!!!
#62 of 356 Old 01-25-2004, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

e-v-o-o......lol...you aren't, by chance, a Rachel Ray, 30-Minute Meals fan, are ya?? I'm glad you're doing so great with the no-poo thing. Its awesome, isn't it! Was going to write more.....but nummies can't wait!! NAK....

Lisa
#63 of 356 Old 01-25-2004, 02:44 PM

The conditioning mixture I used was a mixture of 2 whole eggs and 4 TBS olive oil. You wrap your hair in plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.

I'll warn you...it's drippy!! And make sure you rinse EXTREMELY well; otherwise you're going to end up with real oily looking and feeling hair (I haven't done it a 2nd time, so I don't even know if rinsing extremely well will help).

I've just started using a water/white vinegar mixture to spray on my hair in the mornings to get it wet so I can freshen it up (I have permed hair). I have a small squirt bottle that I fill with water and add less than a tablespoon of vinegar to. It's working great to make my hair look and feel conditioned

My scalp's been itchy too, but it ALWAYS is, so that's nothing new. I'm guessing it'll stop after another week or two. I'm definitely going to try tea tree oil mixed with the baking soda next time though.

Oh, and the 100% boar bristle brush is amazing at making your hair look soft...and it doesn't make it frizzy! I can't believe it considering any other brush with lots of bristles (as opposed to an airbrush, etc) would frizz my hair out horribly. They make different styles of the brush though: some for fine, thin hair & some for thicker hair. WalMart even carries some (ours only has some for fine, thin hair though). Sally's Beauty Supply has a good selection.

And, my hair is looking/feeling much thicker...AND...my curls are much more pronounced and bouncy!!

I'm lovin' it

Antonia
#64 of 356 Old 01-25-2004, 03:23 PM

I really like this idea, I am a curly top that conditions and maybe washes once a week. I just rinse out daily and mist with water and evoo to keep the frizzies at bay.

My question is --- does baking soda or vinegar lighten your hair? I don't want it to. I have very very dark red hair (almost black) and I like it that way. I actually use sunblock on it when I am going to spend more than an hour outside to keep it from lightening.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#65 of 356 Old 01-25-2004, 03:30 PM

DAY 1
count me in! this is so exciting. I was just thinking the other day I wish I didnt need shampoo or conditioner and TA-DA! I dont. Im already a bit greasy.
great idea.
#66 of 356 Old 01-25-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:
does baking soda or vinegar lighten your hair?
Ya know, now that ya said that...

I haven't dyed my hair in about a year. I used to dye it blond and I'm naturally brown. But yesterday I thought it looked a little lighter and just attributed it to having DS/BFing as I do everything weird that has happended to my body in the past year or so:

I don't really want it lighter though. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Day 8 for me! Although if I go anywhere I may have to wash it. It doesn't look gross but it feels a bit greasy. Any other shampoo ideas? Not sure I want to use BS now
#67 of 356 Old 01-25-2004, 06:49 PM

Wow what a neat thread! I have very sensitive skin/scalp. I have tried just about EVERY shampoo out there and they all rip my scalp to shreds. The conditioner isd no better....it gives me bad build up; probably because I have really thick hair and it can't rinse out very well.

I washed my hair yesterday and I think I am going to try this and see. I have plenty BS and ACV so I am excited to see how it will do! I am really excited to see if this works. From the sounds of it, it does!

Also, my ds has had cradle cap his whole young life (Monday he will be 1!). I do not wash his hair much because he does not have much......:LOL! I think I will see if it goes away if I just rinse him with warm water.

All this talk of ph and acidic reminds me of chemistry class.....only this is waaaay more interesting! :LOL

Officially on Day 1

Emily

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#68 of 356 Old 01-25-2004, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nym
Now what would one put in a rosemary rinse and a tea tree oil rinse? Just water and the EOs?
Yes - a few drops of of Eo mixed with a bunch of water.

M

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#69 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 01:51 AM

I tried a couple of ACV rinses a month or two ago and noticed right away that it stripped the colour out of my hair. I pay a lot of money to get it the colour I like and hide all the grey and its a complicated process of blond/brown foils and a honey brown semi permanent over the top. When the semi wears off I dont like the harshness of the blond foils as Im naturally a mid brown and so are my eyebrows!

So no BS or ACV for me, I'm really just interested in improving the health of my hair, it was a big thing for me to switch a few years ago from washing every day to every second day and if I can stretch it out to a week with only conditioner washing I'll be happy. My hairdresser has always told me that once a week should be ample.

Its 4 days since I washed my hair with conditioner, and about 10 since I've used shampoo. Its not noticeably greasy but it isnt as shiny as normal.
#70 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 04:16 AM

So I did a bs wash with an acv rinse, but is there anything I can do to make the vinegar smell better? I hate the smell of vinegar, and teh acv makes my stomache sick...what do you think? Is there an eo I can add to it that would be okay?

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#71 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 11:50 AM

have you tried dluting it? i too hate the smell and that helped a little bit.

i don't find that it smells for very long after though. but, i do blow dry and brush it while doig so. maybe that helps get the smell out. dunno.
#72 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 02:42 PM

lol shampoo is baaad. I crossed over today! Good thing, I'm just about out of shampoo and haven't bought more to replace it, hopefully if this works out I won't have to, won't that be nice!
I just used a little bit of baking soda, and my scalp is itching today too! Is it the baking soda, or detox? I do miss that "squeaky clean" that your hair does after you've rinsed out all the shampoo, will our hair ever squeak again? :LOL
Lisa, yes I'm awfully laid back. (but I'm working on that )
#73 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 03:11 PM
nym

Now what is the difference between ACV and just regular vinegar? Why should we be using one over the other? Is there some kinda properties that the ACV has that the regular doesnt?
#74 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 03:22 PM

such a good question. i just do what i'm told.

shannon
hasn't washed her hair with shampoo since 1/17 (maybe i'll put that in my sig:LOL )
#75 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 05:55 PM

I've just been using regular vinegar, seems to do the trick.

I'm day 5, no shampoo, done the b.s. once and every night I give it a rinse.
Its not oily or greasy or stinky yet......
#76 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 06:12 PM

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing the differences between ACV and white vinegar. I've been using white just because it's all I have

After almost a week I broke down and shampoo'd with conditioner (that Hair & Mane stuff...or whatever it's called). It doesn't have anything in it that ends with -cone and my hair looks and feels exactly as if I shampoo'd with shampoo! The bad side to that is that it's lost the bounce and body it had...just like it does when I shampoo with shampoo :

So, while shampoo'ing with conditioner will work, I think I'm going to try to stick with BS; otherwise, my hair is too lifeless.

Antonia
#77 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well, guys....I am certainly no expert...but...white vinegar is distilled to remove the color and increase its shelf life. The heat involved in this process destroys the living enzymes and the end result is long lasting lifeless vinegar with little value for health. White Distilled Vinegar also contains acetic acid, which is detrimental to the health of the body. This acid is known to rapidly destroy red blood cells, interfere with digestion and contribute to liver and intestinal problems. Since our skin (including our scalp) is like a million tiny little mouths....one of the things, besides returning my hair to its normal balance of oils, that I'm trying accomplish is keeping sodium lauryl sulphates and other detrimental chemicals from getting into my system, via health/beauty products . I wouldn't use white vinegar in any skin products I might mix up....and I feel the same about using it on my scalp for the same reasons.
Phew!

Follow all that?? LOL

For anybody with itchy scalp......this IS normal....but you can alleviate it with some peppermint or tea tree oil in your baking soda paste. I'm really getting alot of good info from everyone! Keep posting!

Lisa
#78 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say also that I don't think white distilled vinegar is evil......its got plenty of good uses, particularly in cleaning....but I just wouldn't cook with it, or put it on my skin...

Lisa
#79 of 356 Old 01-26-2004, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyiispy
Well, guys....I am certainly no expert...but...white vinegar is distilled to remove the color and increase its shelf life. The heat involved in this process destroys the living enzymes and the end result is long lasting lifeless vinegar with little value for health. White Distilled Vinegar also contains acetic acid, which is detrimental to the health of the body. This acid is known to rapidly destroy red blood cells, interfere with digestion and contribute to liver and intestinal problems. Since our skin (including our scalp) is like a million tiny little mouths....one of the things, besides returning my hair to its normal balance of oils, that I'm trying accomplish is keeping sodium lauryl sulphates and other detrimental chemicals from getting into my system, via health/beauty products . I wouldn't use white vinegar in any skin products I might mix up....and I feel the same about using it on my scalp for the same reasons.
Oh.......my.........

Well, that makes packing for our move a little bit lighter!! LOL

Antonia
#80 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 03:05 AM

Thanks for this great thread. I never even considered going "no shampoo" but in the last 2 weeks, I've noticed my hair has been in HORRIBLE shape (so dry and frizzy and wild) and was wondering WHAT?!?!? could I do next!?!?! I've been following this thread.

Thanks to this thread, I haven't washed my hair for about a week (just rinse with water) and I cannot believe how much better my hair has been. Simply amazing. Not to mention the money I'll save on "organic" : shampoo & conditioner.

I haven't washed my DS's hair with shampoo either, and he's just fine. Of course, I'm not telling DH this... he'll just add it to the list of other "nutty" things I do.

Like the rest of you, I too have been wondering about the chemicals in it... so I'm very happy to delete this from my list of things to put on my body - especially since I'm pregnant (I haven't used nail polish or had a pedicure in 2 years.

I haven't done the vinegar rinse (and glad I didn't) because I wanted to research it first. I remember my mom rinsing my hair with beer as a child. Anybody else? Eggs? DS would LOVE rubbing an egg in my hair during a shower. That would fun. And I can't see the harm in an egg.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#81 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Tanya......that's what led me to this point. After my pregnancy with baby #2, my hair has steadily gotten worse and worse. The split ends were just unbearable and even though I cut it from really long to just below my shoulders....it just didn't look "healthy." This has really really helped. I'm loving reading everyone else's experiences too....

Lisa
#82 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 04:23 AM
nym

That is good to know about the regular vinegar! I never knew any of that. I just use it for cleaning.

I rinsed with water today, and I notuce that my hair is feeling great until about an inch from the ends. I imagine that this is from split ends. I should get that trimmed off. I am going to get some ACV for my next wash with bs, but that is not until Saturday!
#83 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 01:12 PM

OK...on day 10 or so of no washing. I've done the BS and ACV and have been happy until about yesterday. I used both and my hair was a bit icky after. It's mainly the back and it doesn't really look bad, just feels kind of gross. Greasy I guess. But only at the roots. I want to wash it. But I don't want to wash it.

Help. What do you think I should try? Any thoughts?

I bought some rosemary EO and want to try it but I don't want to make it worse.
#84 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 01:43 PM

I have been reading through these wonderful posts and am about ready to try this. The only problem I foresee is this: I work out every day. The first thing I want to do when I get back is jump in a hot shower and drench myself. I also sweat a lot from the exercising...so my head is going to look like a greasy mess after the first day! I'm not sure if I will be able to stand it.

:
#85 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 02:05 PM

SAge Ribbon-
You may be pleasantly surprised. i've used baking soda once this week, otherwise just a hot shower. i'm going on 8 days (?) w/ no shampoo, and a tad of conditioner and /or olive oil at the ends.

SMPH-- is the AVC rinsing out all the bs do you think? or did you use enough bs in the back area? hmmm. i have been using really hot water just to rinse my hair and i wonder if that is helping get the oils out. so far i've used bs just once in the last week. the rest of the days i just use hot water. see above. :LOL
let us know if the rosemary helps.

#86 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mona
SAge Ribbon-
You may be pleasantly surprised. i've used baking soda once this week, otherwise just a hot shower. i'm going on 8 days (?) w/ no shampoo, and a tad of conditioner and /or olive oil at the ends.
Do you get your hair wet every time you shower, or are you trying to keep it dry?

This just occurred to me.

#87 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Shannon......are you using enough baking soda?? I don't measure it....but its a good "handful" Probably about 4-5 Tbsp and I really vigorously massage it through, paying particular attention to my scalp. This was how several hair stylists showed me how to wash my hair. They all said to put the "shampoo" at the roots, never on the ends, because rubbing the shampoo on the ends of the hair roughed up scales on the hair shaft, making it appear dull. The lady who I originally got this idea from went through a period of "ickiness" too.....so far, I haven't had that. The rosemary EO should help with the oiliness, if you want to get rid of it. You can either just dump a few drops into the baking soda paste....OR....put it with your ACV rinse. If it were me....I'd put it with the rinse.

Sage Ribbon....I don't think you'll have any problem getting your hair clean with the BS and a nice hot shower. We are so conditioned (lol...pardon the pun) to believe that suds=clean, when that is just not the case. The sudsing agent in shampoo is NOT what makes your hair have that "squeaky clean" feeling. Actually, the squeaky clean feeling is not normal....we were meant to retain some natural oils, not have them all stripped away. Let us know how this works for ya. You might want to include some rosemary in your rinse, if you're worried about excess oil.

You go Mona!!

Lisa
#88 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Sage.....forgot to say.....go ahead and drench yourself! I get my hair wet everytime I'm in the shower (albeit this is normally every other day, if I'm lucky). With two little ones, showering more than once a week is a *good* week! LOL

Lisa
#89 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 02:47 PM

Well then I am totally in!
I officially "washed" my hair for the last time last night. I can't even shower at this point (for today) because I am already dressed. The bean is finally napping and I'm not about to use her nap time to take a shower.

So I am going to load up on the baking soda when I go to the store today. I'm not sure about the apple cidar vinegar rinse. I worry about my eyeballs. heehee.

My DH will be so happy if I choose to continue this. He's a cheap b*st*rd but it makes him very happy about my continued crunchiness.

your sister in greasiness,
Jen
#90 of 356 Old 01-27-2004, 02:48 PM

Lisa~~I definitely think I'm using enough BS. But perhaps not rubbing it in enough. I think today I will try the rosemary rinse alone and go from there. Or maybe after the BS. I just don't want to over use the BS, KWIM?

I'm going to dinner tonight with my parents and a bunch of their church friends. I just don't want to be greasy. Other wise I wouldn't care at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page