Going no-shampoo!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2004, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
on the TV subject- we don't have any tv. i mean, we have tv's, but only for watching dvd's.
I LOVE this.
whoops, gotta go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2004, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

nym.....don't beat yourself up! I used shampoo on my little ones ( albeit natural ones....but still shampoo) til 2 1/2 weeks ago when I stopped and they're 3 and 1. I do think our bodies are meant to be able to take *some* toxins.....but in this society, we just overload the system with bad stuff. As far as lotions & potions....I have two books that have great ideas/recipes in them: Natural Beauty at Home and Natural Beauty for All Seasons, both by Janice Cox. Just a sampling of some of the recipes in there....pineapple body seltzer, body and bounce beer shampoo, alligator pear lotion, orange peel scrub, etc... She also has a website: www.janicecox.com I really enjoy these books when I'm in the mood to experiment. (she has a pretty effective deodorant powder recipe in the books).

ChildoftheMoon.....I've noticed that overshampooing my hair would make it straight and lifeless. It has got MUCH more bounce and curl now than when I was using shampoo. I bet you'll get your curl back.

Madrone.....I hope we can inspire and encourage one another through this thread too! Just curious....when you did your month and a half of no shampoo....were you washing with BS or just plain water?? You can do it!!! Stick with it.....and if you're tempted to give up...please post!

SMPH.....I know just what you mean! It IS cold ! I used an egg today to follow the BS wash. I left it out a bit to warm up to room temp and that felt sooo much better.

amber....good luck with the move. Let us know when you get
settled, okay?

Oceanmomma and Indigo......I rinse the BS out with water, then do the ACV rinse. THEN rinse again with lots of lukewarm water. Just my regimen......

Gotta run...baby waking....

Lisa
Old 01-28-2004, 07:24 PM

I'm onto what is potentially day 13 without poo. Things get a bit hazy with the kids these days so I can't count too well! I'd been 6 days without washing with poo when I tried the BS last week. What I like about it is it is quite seemless ie it's not like I've suddenly gone all greasy & smelly coz I am making a stand for crunchiness. My hair is actually better!

On the subject of herbs, I remembered a lady I met many years ago with beautiful waist length hair. She told me she put this herbal mixture on her scalp every new moon as it had stopped growing at bra strap length. She reckoned it took about 4 months to work. It was an equal portion of rosemary, southernwood & burdock root solarised in olive oil. Altho' I reckon vodka or vinegar would be just as good & be heaps easier to get out without poo.

Co-incidentally I found some coarse milled burdock root when I was cleaning the cupboard today & I Know where to get some southernwood. Rosemary is easy. So I now have another hair project
Old 01-28-2004, 07:26 PM

On other products, I once used the rock for deodorant, but stopped quite a few years ago. I sometimes use arrowroot powder on my underarms when I'm going through a particularly strong smelling time. Tossed the make-up that one of my high school teachers bought me (back in high school) when baby proofing before DS's birth. I had barely ever used it and it was really old, so I tossed it. I use aloe vera in my hair as a gel when I want to look nice. Started doing that five or so years ago. I have a nice selection of essential oils that I wear as perfume if I want to smell nice. I developed an allergy to Estee Lauder perfume while in grammar school and that list has just been growing ever since. Because of the respiratory problems, I've been giving away perfumes that I receive as gifts for the past 10 years at least. I use quite a bit of jojoba oil and witch hazel. And a calendula ointment that I make. That serves as nipple cream and diaper rash ointment. Shampoo is really the only place that I'm stuck on commercial personal care products. But this time, I will be successful at giving it up! Hmmm. Well, I do buy soap because I've never gotten up the courage to make it. In the states, it was baby bonner's and here it's an olive oil soap that I buy at an organic food co-op. I would need a group of women for a little party in order to try it at first, and since I don't have friends here, I don't think I'll make an attempt and keep giving the person who makes this soap a couple of euros each month.

On TV, I really wish we didn't have one. We sold ours in the states when DS was a few months old because I didn't like how he turned his head towards it. We just used our DVD player on the computer when we wanted to watch something. Here, the house that we are renting had a TV in it. The move was really stressful, and I think we sometimes turned it on in order to not talk to each other since we couldn't seem to not argue for a while after the move. Now DS turns it on constantly. I hate it. I really want to get rid of it. We really want to move and when we do, we are not buying a TV.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
Old 01-28-2004, 07:39 PM

spyiispy - we cross posted. When I went through my try before without shampoo, I was trying to get it less greasey with herbs. Rosemary and burdock were both in my herb routine. I also know I tried making something to try to wash it with that I put coconut oil in and that was horrid. I will never try that recipe again. I had to warm it up before I could use it and then getting it out was really difficult. Maybe I just really screwed up in the making of it and if I had done it correctly, I would have gotten something that was decent. I hadn't heard of baking soda, so I didn't ever use it. I did get some saponora seeds and thought I would plant it to harvest the roots, but I never got the area where I wanted to plant it cleaned up and I wouldn't have had a harvestable plant before I gave up anyway. Maybe someday I'll have someplace to plant again and will get some more seeds to start harvesting it eventually. Once again, that won't help me in this attempt though.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
Old 01-28-2004, 10:55 PM

Old 01-29-2004, 02:37 AM

Great thread!

We're TV free (on and off for 10 years - on for a video now and then)- but I'm sick so I'm being bad and hauling it out of storage for the kids so I can survive tomorrow.

I'm going to go no poo! Scared of the ACV rinse- that stuff can burn but baking soda I can do. I have super thick hair and its pretty long so this might be interesting...

I just did my weekly shampooing (long thick dry hair can't take more than once a week) so I'll wait until next week...

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 01-29-2004, 02:42 AM

DH says tonight (after me saying something about no shampoo/no nail polish anymore) "yeah...i was telling some people at work about your mission to get rid of the chemicals in the house. but i didn't tell them about no shampooing." I said "I'm washing it...just not with poo!":LOL He didn't even know what i was washing with! He tells me his boss' sister sells some products called Arbusomething. Anyone heard of it? I don't really care. I told him it was cheaper and easier for me to make the stuff myself. And then he declared his love for me once again. Because I'm a cheapie

I'm having a rabmling kind of night. And I want pretty toes again. How can I make them pretty?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:05 AM

SMPH ~ About the pretty toes...just get yourself a really nice buffer, let them grow (just a touch) so that the whites show, file them nice and round and then buff, buff, buff like crazy and you'll have the nicest shiney toes around without the polish
Old 01-29-2004, 04:16 AM

You can dye your toe & finger nails with henna. It will have to grow out, not wash off tho'. The afore mentioned book in the shed has a recipe for the dye.

I mentioned the no poo thing to dh. After I'd got him to check out my hair. He thought I'd been using new expensive poo :LOL When I told him he went Just don't stop using deodorant Poor guy is still getting over my mama cloth
Old 01-29-2004, 05:21 AM

OK...about the TV we gave it up completely for new years last year. That lasted for 7 mos then we moved and had free cable so we watched some at night, that lasted for 3 mos 'tll we moved back where we were originally (does that make sense? Sorry it's late )Anyway, now we will watch it maybe 2 hours a week or so. Usually weekend nights after the kiddo goes to bed, so that like 11:00:

Giving it up was really nothing. The shows just kept getting stupider and stupider until I was like why are we wasting our lives like this? Problem is now I've got this computer addiction

I have taken up knitting and dying and playing with DD with no distractions.

We have never let DD watch TV (she's 2). Ok, maybe a little when all I did all day was nurse:LOL . She doesn't even have videos though DH tries pushing for them every once in a while. I swear it's making her smarter and more creative than if she were wasting her precious time staring blankly at the tube.

Sorry, back on topic about the hair.....today it certainly looks healthy. This is day 7 with nothing but water. 2 problems though...I have this crazy cowlick in my bangs that I've always managed to tame before. I keep wetting it to get it to go down but it keeps popping back up.

Also, my forehead is starting to break out a bit. Guess I've got to do the baking soda thing but I was really trying not to. Oh well...
Old 01-29-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oceansummer
Problem is now I've got this computer addiction
Me, too.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:31 PM

bellee~~I thought about the shiny thing. I guess I need to go get a buffer.

Quote:
You can dye your toe & finger nails with henna.
Very interesting. Never knew this. I don't usually care about the fingernails, just the toenails. And even now it's not as "big of a deal" to me since it's Winter. But, it'd be easy to experiment with the henna now. Where can I get henna? What is it's original form?

Do we know the name of the book or are we waiting for you to get into your shed?:LOL

Quote:
Problem is now I've got this computer addiction
Yes. We spend more time up here than on the boob tube. And even this week we seem to be getting better. DH is building his own Tivo so we can watch the programs we want to when we want to. It's turning out pretty cool so far.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:12 PM

So is there any reason it wouldn't work to mix up a bigger batch of bs and water to keep in the shower in a big bottle? What's the ratio of acv diluted with water?

PS the boys lives are tv free, and mostly video free for ds1 (just nature videos from the library for something special)
Old 01-29-2004, 04:15 PM

I used a little almond oil on the ends and it seems to have helped a bit. However, I'm not sure about the smell. It's not strong, I've just never really been a fan.

Any other light oils out there with a better scent? Or perhaps I could add TTO to it too?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:26 PM

ja mama~~I was wondering the same thing about the BS. I wonder if it loses anything.

For the ACV, I just add a little water. Maybe 1/4 of the amount to ACV. I don't measure anything anymore. Today I used it stright because I washed in the tub with head upside down so no getting it in my eyes. Yesterday I swallowed some. Yum.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:41 PM

I have long hair, I never blowdry it, rarely condition it(maybe once every 2 weeks) and I never use styling products. I do shampoo every few days about 2 times a week. The rest of the time I either don't get it wet or give it a good brush through. I do get the itches sometimes, but I think that is winter dry scalp more than anything.

Can I go completely free of anything? I think the baking soda or vinegar would be a bit of a pain but I don't like using shampoo etc either.

As for my kids, Eliza I don't shampoo at all, just wipe her scalp with a wet washcloth. Daria I shampoo about once a week, the rest of the time I either wash with water or leave it alone. Her hair is so pretty and shiny. If I do use shampoo it's a tiny bit and usually when she has food in her hair.

Alex gets a shampoo once a week or so. But he sweats alot in his sleep and plays alot outside so I wonder if he can go 'poo free without being stinky?

My kids hate having their hair washed eventhough I use kid friendly supposed to be tear free crap..is there something in them that stings anyway?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:53 PM

I found the book listed on Amazon. The one I have is still in the shed I think we're getting some sheep this weekend so I won't be able to get dh to look in the shed. But it is on my to do list

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details

The henna is just the type of powder you buy to do mehndi with.

I'm off to the hairdressers next week to get my split ends cut off. Plan A is to wash my hair with BS that very morning & then just get them to dampen it down when they cut it
Old 01-29-2004, 08:10 PM

Old 01-30-2004, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by andrea88
Yup! My hair weighs a ton! its an odd feeling....

This is going much better than anticipated...
Perhaps I spoke too soon, because this morning, when I went to shower (I don't know what day this is of NO POO - 6, 7?) the top of my head felt SO HEAVY and OILY and GROSS!!! So I rubbed some of my Clear Glycerin soap on top just to "help" it a little.

So now I'm beginning to doubt this was a good idea. Can someone explain what the heck is going on??? It doesn't smell so good either (when I rub my hand on the top of my head).

But... it does look much better than it did prior to my experiment.

Baking soda can someone explain to me why it's good to wash your hair with it??? TIA.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 01-30-2004, 03:42 AM

Ya know, about 12 years ago, I used to use a Shampoo Bar of Soap. It wasn't soap, it was shampoo... it was really great... and I can't remember the name of the company, but I think they are out of business because I haven't seen it on the health food shelves in years.

I found 2 companies online:

Grammy Bear Vegetable Shampoo Bar
Quote:
Our soaps are chemical free, natural and organic. They are made without animal products, detergents, sulfates, surfactants, alcohol or sugar solutions. Vegetable Shampoo Bar Ingredients: saponified oils (coconut, apricot kernel, avocado, castor, jojoba, olive), spring water, shea butter, liquid silk, rose water, grapefruit seed extract, tocepherol, ground chamomile, natural fragrance and essential oils.
Staiano Soap Bars (3 bars for $9.50) - Shampoo Bars VS. Commercial Shampoos

Man, the comparison list is scary!!!! One is so sci-fi unnatural and the other is 100% natural!

Staiano Shampoo & Soap Bars - I just ordered fragrance free Calendula Soap ($7 to ship to the West Coast).

Quote:
Bar shampoo gently cleans without stripping all the natural oils from your hair, leaving it healthy and shiny. You may never want to use bottled shampoo again.
Hmmm, Burts Bees sells one - $6.00 per bar
Burts Bees Rosemary Shampoo Bar

Sun Feather Shampoo Bars

I may just have to give up on this experiment (I don't know enough!) and try the shampoo bars again.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 01-30-2004, 01:37 PM

Well this is day 9, washed my hair with bs last night for the second time, and its feels awesome!!!!!!
omg, its nicer than it ever has been before.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:05 PM

Day four for me, and my hair looks so nice, feels thicker! I did the bs and acv yesterday. I have been wetting my hair every day. The biggest difference I have noticed is that I can actually comb my hair when it is wet out of the shower! Before, no matter how much conditioner I used, my hair was so hard to comb through when wet, my hair would just break and snaggle. Hooray. My hair is not very oily, but I have noticed the smell is changing, not really in a bad way, just not the fresh soapy smell I am so used to. Going to use the bs I have with lavender oil and tto in it next time, it smells yummy.
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Old 01-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Still loving it. Not greasy at all and not itchy at all. I have been using BS and white vinager (what I had around) and the vin seems to make my hair really nice!

My hair looks awesome and my scalp feels better than it has in years! What a great thread! Thanks!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mona
bfis--- where do you get that shampoo bar?
Sorry so long in replying! I forgot to subscribe to thsi thread!

I get most of my body care stuff (and my henna, the Caca Rouge ) from LUSH . I used to live in Vancouver and they had three shops in town, but now I am in AB and I have to drive to Banff . I LOVE LUSH!!!! Just get yourself a catalogue and browse thru, you'll be addicted! The only minus is if you dont have a shop in town i think the shipping is pretty steep They make everything preservative free as possible (using natural preservatives) and have a lot of vegan-friendly products.

They make a shampoo bar called Soak and Float bar which is made with Cade oil. It works well for problem scalp but I couldnt handle the smell of the cade oil. I use the Angels On Bare Skin lavender facial scrub, the Cosmetic Lad moisturizer, the Gentle Lentil shampoo and Veganese conditioner if my hair is really flyaway (as a leave in, I just smooth it on the ends). I also like the natural deodorants, I use the Aromaco and the Aromorant (patchouli or sandalwood ). I love their lip balms, and almost all the soaps. OMG the soaps are heavenly! My faves are Bohemian (faint lemon scent), Honey Waffle (with real honeycomb), Demon In The DArk, Red Rooster, and so many more. Right now the Rock Star soap dd picked is working really well on my face, even though it smells like candy. Their bath bombs are soooo nice.

I am thinking I may need to hit LUSH agian soon! I did a big spree before I moved and I need some more bath bombs

now I am going to read the last two pages of this thread!
Old 01-30-2004, 04:37 PM

WAH! I just went to LUSH to copy the ingredient list from the Gentle Lentil and it's not listed!!!! I am so bummed!

Anyhoo, the Trichomania is very similar, though a bit richer. I wasn't as fond of the Trich because it smells like coconut, but it was a very nice shampoo.

Quote:
Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Creamed Coconut (Cocos Nucifera), Glyceryl Stearate (&) PEG-100 Stearate, Cocoamide DEA, Lecithin, Perfume, Vetivert Oil (Vetivera Zizanoides),
And here's where you can find out what that means:
Cosmetic ingredient dictionary
Old 01-30-2004, 06:06 PM

BNM ~ be weary of that shampoo, it has more thrn one cancer causing agent in it

So today I'm going to use BS, do I make it into a paste? Or a thick liguid or does it really matter? I'm going to add some TTO to it cause I bet that'll feel heavenly
Old 01-30-2004, 06:10 PM

I make it into a thick liqiud. I tried a paste and it all ended up on the floor it seemed.:

I didn't do anything to it today and it's kind of blah. I can't believe I'm coming up on 2 weeks of no poo! I'm gonna have a no poo party!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:24 PM

I have been following the conversation for a few days now. it has really struck a chord- i have never liked a shampoo for more then a couple of weeks and perhaps this somehow relates to it being the wrong product for hair. i am now building up to 72 hours. my hair feels a bit greasy, and the bs is not working too well- i cannot work the paste through my hair and a more diluted form seems not enough efficacious.

but i have found a middle eastern soap available where i am, in europe, called savon d'alep royal. it is made from olive oil and laurel butter (?). and it is recommended for shampooing 1-2 times per week, among other things. the brand is "El Melaki". a search for Savon d'Alep Royal and El Melaki turned up some french online retailers and descriptions in french. but it must be somewhere in the states... [just did search for soap aleppo and american sites are coming up] i will try it tomorrow morning.

and with my dd, 5 months old, having skipped the shampoo in her last bath, the cradle cap is basically gone.

this has been a bit of an epiphany, although like others, it seems, i still search for an alternative.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:21 PM

I have not washed my 4 year old's hair in two years. She has curly hair, and I read an AWESOME book called "Curly Girl" that says to cleanse, just don't shampoo. She gives lots of cool recipes for mists, sprays, etc. It is an inexpensive book, I 100% reccomend it to anyone with curly or wavy hair.
I have not tried the ACV though. I want to put her in the tub and try it right now! LOL
Karen

User Tag List