Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is two parts:

First, Dr. Mercola:

Has anyone tried this sunscreen?

Dr. Mercola claims in his article here that this spf 50 sunscreen of his received a rating of "1" from EWG. But I can't find the product on the Cosmetics Database anywhere.

I contacted customer service about this via chat. All she could tell me is that the product would under the manufacturer's name, and it is a "private labeled product from a manufacturer the Dr works with." She could not give the name but the also said "the product will soon be listed under the Mercola name."

The only 3 reviews I can find for the product are on Dr. Mercola's website, of course.

Can anyone give any info? The ingredients look great (if you scroll to the bottom of the page in the article linked above you can click on the label images to fully read them) and as for the price, it's about $16 for the 8 oz SPF 30 bottle , and $17 for the 5.4 oz SPF 50.

Now the second part:

I am really going crazy with trying to get natural sunscreens here. From the Cosmetics Database, I've narrowed it down to Badger, Vanicream, California Baby, or UV Natural. They are all so pricey. I think Dr. Mercola's is pretty comparable.
(I look at the sunscreen list, not just the regular list. This will give you a health hazard score, a sun hazard score, and then a regular score. The 5 labels I just listed all have low health and sun hazard scores (3 and under), so the regular scores are all 0 or 1.)

One of the good things about getting a cheap sunscreen is that I won't hesitate to slather it on. But cheaper = more chemicals.

The more natural, higher safety rated sunscreens are so much more expensive and so I think most people tend to skimp on those.

My idea is to spend some time in the sun everyday without sunscreen first, so the kids and I can get Vitamin D and other good benefits. But now that the warm weather is here, the kids are going to want to be outside more often, and so I want sunscreen for the rest of the time. Our local pool is open and we want to go there occasionally. We do try to stay inside midday; since the little ones still take a nap, that works out nicely.

I know that we can get the UV clothing but that will take time to buy for all 5 of us. We have hats and sunglassees but you can imagine they don't stay on the kids very long. I guess I have to look at these more natural sunscreens the same way as organic food. More pricey, but better for you. And so I'll have to budget accordingly.

Okay, I guess that was partly a rant on the second part there, but I'd love to hear your own thoughts and ideas on that. ETA: Any votes on the sunscreens I've listed here would be great. Actually, I think I'll make a separate poll and post for that...

Thanks all. I know it's a long post, so I appreciate the looks and any responses.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replying to my own post

UPDATE: I found it.

I was looking over the database again and noticed a sunscreen called Mexitan/Tropical Sands. It has a similar label, same price, and same ingredients to Dr. Mercola's product. It does have a very good rating. And I think I might try it.

For the kiddos, zinemama (thank you!) on my other thread recommended TruKid and they also have kid's shampoo and conditioner that are well rated.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page