coconut oil as sunscreen?!?!?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How would this be different from the baby oil my olive-skinned mom used in the 50s/60s? And OMG, you should see her sun damage now - it's so bad.

I swear the ozone layer has made the sun more burn-y now than when I was a kid. I hardly ever burned when I was a kid, despite driving a tractor 10 hours a day. Now I live just a few miles from where I grew up, but I can't be in the midday sun for 20 minutes without burning.

I, too, hate sunblock chemicals, but in addition to hunting shade, I use chemical sunblock rather than risking a burn. And I put my DD in a rash guard shirt when she's out during midday.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#32 of 43 Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Looks like we'll be sticking with our lightweight long-sleeved shirts, lightweight pants, and hats. It IS so much cooler to be covered, anyway. I was a peace corps volunteer in West Africa and was so much cooler when covered with a local head scarf, top, and wrap skirt than in any of my Western clothes!

Happy and safe summer to all!
#33 of 43 Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 PM

As someone diagnosed with melanoma two months ago and who just had another suspicious biopsy taken yesterday - please, please, I beg you - do not rely on coconut oil to protect your skin.

I am very leary about sunscreens. But, I am fair skinned, redish hair and have gotten a few sunburns in my day. Not many but enough that I've clearly caused enough damage to cause melanoma.

It's terrifying and so sad that it's a pretty preventable disease. The key is to NOT get sunburned - ever. More than 4 sunburns in your life greatly increase your chances of melanoma.

Cover up. Make sure that the clothing you're using is adequate. You want to be able to hold the fabric up to the light and not see the light through the fabric. If you can see light, the sun is getting through the fabric to your skin. Dark denim is best and blocks 100% of UV rays - I know it's not so practical in the summer but, I now never leave my house without my denim shirt to throw over top of whatever I'm wearing. 100% polyester is also very protective but, again, do the light test.

Also, regarding fabric, dark colors are better - they reflect the sun.
Specially treated UPF clothing is another option - it is generally infused with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide and you're able to get away with lighter fabrics which really help in the summer. But, it may also be chemically treated so you want to check to see how the fabric is treated.

Wear wide brimmed hats whenever out in the sun.

Also, there are some natural sunscreens out there. Here is a list from the Environmental Working Group for the safest sunscreens:
http://www.ewg.org/cosmetics/report/...ns=1&overall=g

All I can say is please, please don't rely on coconut oil to protect your skin or the skin of your children. It's critically important to protect your skin but, it's especially important to ensure that your children do not ever get sunburned.
#34 of 43 Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
More than 4 sunburns in your life greatly increase your chances of melanoma.
Really? Um... damn.

I've been eating more TF this year (more saturated fats) and have noticed I haven't burned as easily this summer. I didn't correlate those things until now, but I wonder if there's something in it? That'd be cool.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#35 of 43 Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM

I read something at the beginning of last summer about how Vitamin D helps protect you against the sun (in addition to coming from the sun... go figure), and as it was the first summer I was really taking Vitamin D pills religiously, I figured I'd see how it goes.

I have very, very fair skin and I burn so easily you wouldn't believe it. While I ALWAYS put on sunscreen if I'm going to be out in the sun, I can't really be religious about it 24/7, and it usually only takes until about mid July when I have a sunburn on my shoulders just from the time it takes to go from the car to the supermarket, my house to the garage, etc. My back yard is also total shade (nothing grows, it's kind of a pitiful bummer) so I don't bother if I won't be out there all that long).

And last summer was the first summer I didn't get a sunburn at all, barely even a tan. Maybe a few freckles, but that's nothing compared to what I normally get.

I am googling for information on this now, and I can't find anything I would necessarily trust as reputable, but I read about it in someplace very mainstream (probably the NYT). It was an actual peer-reviewed study about Vitamin D levels.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#36 of 43 Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Very interesting! Do you know any good food sources of Vit D? I've only ever heard of it coming from the sun.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#37 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 AM

High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil, like the one from Green Pastures...we take in the Winter for extra help with D.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#38 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 AM
Banned

we live in NZ now, and skin protection is paramount here because we live under the whole in the ozone layer. the sun is different here.

kids are required to wear hats to go out to recess. i can't get DS to keep his on, so i need to find one that i can tie on! but, DH and I wear hats, long sleeves, long pants, and sunscreen on any exposed and could-be-exposed areas.

after sun, i use pure avocado oil. it actually heals the skin very quickly. i had a burn the first day i was here (a small patch on my foot did not get sun screen coverage apparently), and the burn was back to white the next morning. then i sun screened it.

the toughest area for us to keep protected is DS's hands when he plays in the water. we have waterproof sunscreen, but he has tanned there. so, we try to screen him every few hours. but that's the only space that he has color.

people here are surprisingly pale. sun protection is a big deal here. they even give away free sunscreen at street fairs and various outdoor events.
#39 of 43 Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
i am a redhead so. . . . . yeah. . . . . i WICKED burn. Been using coconut oil on my skin exclusively as moisturizer for over 3 years now and I still burn without sunscreen for what it's worth.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#40 of 43 Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post

I can't say this clearly enough. A tan IS a burn. It's just a matter of degree, but there's no such thing as "the glow of a healthy tan"

I dont understand this. I have learned that the tan colour is a result of increased production of the pigment melanin, which is the body`s reaction to protect cells from the UV rays - since melanin absorbs (some of) the UV.

Please explain what you mean when you write a tan is a burn :-)

#41 of 43 Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post

I am more willing to believe that our diets (like a pp mentioned) have more to do w/the rising skin cancer rates and our body's inability to handle the sun, than the theory that the sun is bad.

I just can't fig out why humans would be put on the earth w/sun, have to work and live in sun exposure when it would be so bad for us. What did people do thousands of yrs ago?

You mean back when there weren't huge holes in the ozone layer caused by CFCs?

Well, if they lived somewhere very sunny, they evolved dark skin as protection.  That's not much use to people of Irish extraction who are now living in Australia.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#42 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignes View Post

I dont understand this. I have learned that the tan colour is a result of increased production of the pigment melanin, which is the body`s reaction to protect cells from the UV rays - since melanin absorbs (some of) the UV.

Please explain what you mean when you write a tan is a burn :-)

this is from skincancer.org

Quote:
Doesn't the melanin acquired through tanning actually protect my skin?

Darker skin does offer greater protection than light skin against sunburn and skin cancer. However, that applies only to people with naturally darker skin. Tanning, like sunburns, attacks the skin's DNA, producing genetic defects that may cause skin cancer. 

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#43 of 43 Old 03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Your friend could not be more wrong.  Coconut oil magnifies sun rays.  Any color (tan or burn) is sun damage and potentially cancer causing.

I'm wary of chemical sunscreens too.  But we KNOW that sunburns cause cancer, and quite often.  I've had skin cancer.  It's really common.  So I prefer the possible theoretical risk of weird chemicals over the risk of cancer.

Also, your skin does not typically absorb things very well.  So something that is topical will mostly not be absorbed.  My concern, especially with little kids, is that they will ingest the chemicals.  So I don't do sunblock on their hands because they always end up in their mouths!

Mostly I try to either avoid the sun, or keep them covered up.  I have a full suit and hat from Coolibar (covers feet to hands like a wetsuit) that my toddler wears and I will get a similar one for my baby soon.  Yeah, my family makes fun of me.  So what. 

aja-belly likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page