homemade moisturizers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'd love to have your sweet dreams recipe for my 8 year old!! she loves a good sleepy ritual.

i've been using coconut oil, shea butter, and rose oil on my body, rubbing into my nails, and when i ran out of lavera moisturiser i've been using this instead, but i find it a bit heavy.

i would really like to make my own rose water. i have rose oil, do you think i need to use distilled water?

#32 of 57 Old 09-10-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
i'd love to have your sweet dreams recipe for my 8 year old!! she loves a good sleepy ritual.
Sweet Dreams spray for DD (age 8):

1 drop sweet orange EO
1 drop chamomile EO (I use Roman)
5 oz water

~ Shake and spray right before bedtime...spray all over room and bed and child (eyes CLOSED)...spray monsters, bugs, whatever....it is simply a fun thing that smells good and somehow helps little ones get to sleep. ~

Quote:
i've been using coconut oil, shea butter, and rose oil on my body, rubbing into my nails, and when i ran out of lavera moisturiser i've been using this instead, but i find it a bit heavy.
I hear lots of people talk about shea butter, but I have never used it myself. What I found personally was I used too much coconut oil at first. Just use a little bit and let it soak into your skin. It doesn't need to sit on top of the skin to be effective. I wash with Jason's rose hand & face wash, then I spritz with Heritage Products rosewater. I use 1-2 drops of a blend of oils for around my eye area (rose hip seed oil - 50%, vitamin E oil - 25%, sweet almond oil - 25%) and then I use a third of a dropper of coconut oil (unrefined, virgin....I poured some into an amber glass bottle with a dropper for convenience...it is liquid here since it is warm) all over my face, including eye area, neck and upper chest. Then, I rub my cuticles and the backs of my hands. If there is still more on my hands, I rub my knees and elbows and ankles.

Quote:
i would really like to make my own rose water. i have rose oil, do you think i need to use distilled water?
Well, I was a bit rusty when I commented way up on this thread about rose water being rose oil and water. I was correct in my other comments that rosewater is the by-product of the steam-distillation method of obtaining rose essential oil. It isn't rose oil and water in the sense of mixing those two ingredients. It is technically a hydrosol, which is an entire product unto itself.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#33 of 57 Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 PM

good to know! thanks!

and thank you for the recipe

#34 of 57 Old 10-07-2009, 05:53 AM

Received a while ago the J. Fitzsimmons and P. Bousquet book, Aromatherapy through the seasons. It is absolutely wonderful, I'm impressed!
Thank you sunnysandiegan again for recommending it
#35 of 57 Old 10-07-2009, 07:08 AM

sunny, i tried just rose oil in water anyway, as i had it, and we LOVE it. good enough! i'm not using it as a toner though..

if i am putting beeswax into a pomade, do i need to melt everything together?

#36 of 57 Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM

I have oily, acne-prone skin. Oil Cleansing Method, while it makes my skin feel soft and smooth, causes me to break out. Soap dries me out. Honey is ok. I'm looking for ideas to ease my skin woes--i'm too old to be dealing with this!

So tell me, what do you use on your face?
#37 of 57 Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber913 View Post
I have oily, acne-prone skin. Oil Cleansing Method, while it makes my skin feel soft and smooth, causes me to break out. Soap dries me out. Honey is ok. I'm looking for ideas to ease my skin woes--i'm too old to be dealing with this!

So tell me, what do you use on your face?
Oops! This was totally meant to be a new thread. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack! Ignore me.
#38 of 57 Old 10-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercat View Post
Received a while ago the J. Fitzsimmons and P. Bousquet book, Aromatherapy through the seasons. It is absolutely wonderful, I'm impressed!
Thank you sunnysandiegan again for recommending it
I am so glad you also love it!

Where did you buy it? I renewed the one I got from the library as many times as possible and it is due back soon. I want to own it for easy reference.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#39 of 57 Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
sunny, i tried just rose oil in water anyway, as i had it, and we LOVE it. good enough! i'm not using it as a toner though..

if i am putting beeswax into a pomade, do i need to melt everything together?

I don't think there is any reason you cannot use rose oil in water as a toner. I was just pointing out rosewater is a technically different. I'm personally not that picky, but wanted to be clear for others who are. Also, true (pure) rose essential oil is VERY expensive and rosewater is much more affordable......

I have yet to experiment with things that require heat. I don't know anything about making pomade firsthand. I have read a few books about homemade lotions and potions and such (my term ) and there are a lot of instructions floating around. Try google?

#40 of 57 Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Where did you buy it? I renewed the one I got from the library as many times as possible and it is due back soon. I want to own it for easy reference.
I bought it from play.com, a British online bookstore (like Amazon but it's got free shipping) for EUR 22.44. But as it is an American book perhaps you can buy it cheaper there!
I keep it by my bedside table
#41 of 57 Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I bought it from play.com, a British online bookstore (like Amazon but it's got free shipping) for EUR 22.44. But as it is an American book perhaps you can buy it cheaper there!
I keep it by my bedside table
Thank you! I had checked on amazon and overstock awhile back and neither had it for a reasonable price or at all. This time, though, I found a "very good" condition used copy for a little under $8 (including shipping). I added it to my shopping cart the other day, when you first posted the above, and finally finished my order tonight. My library copy has to go back tomorrow, so perfect timing.......

#42 of 57 Old 10-29-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I'd make a very small amount at first until you get the portions where you like 'em. If I were making it, I would start with the following:

1 oz olive oil
1/4 oz calendula infused sunflower oil
2 drops chamomile

Shake and smell. Smell your badger oil to compare them. Adjust the calendula and chamomile, as needed. I'd make it in a 2 oz amber glass bottle with a dropper, so you have room to make adjustments. Write down the ingredients and quantities as you go. This is pretty much how I make all my oil blends, except I am not always comparing to a known scented product.
Finally an update for you: I did make the calming oil blend for my toddler using more or less the proportions you stated above. It is wonderful I must say, although I'll try to make a few changes next time, eg. add a bit more chamomile essential oil. The one "complain" I've got is the intense smell of the olive oil; I've used an organic extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (the one I use for my salads) and therefore my oil blend has a lovely green colour but smells a lot like a Greek salad according to my husband
In any case, I guess I could have used a cheaper olive oil but then I know that pure olive oil is really good for the skin so I'm confident that it'd would be great for my son's sensitive skin!
#43 of 57 Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 AM

coconut oil might work well -it needs to be warm to be liquid, though. i have the same problem with olive oil. there are very refined versions, but i bet they have lost their good bits along with the smell.

#44 of 57 Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
coconut oil might work well -it needs to be warm to be liquid, though.
I have organic extra virgin coconut oil at home but it is very solid at the moment eventhough it is still not that cold here. I use it as a hand cream just before going to bed and I'm thinking to try it for stretch mark prevention when my belly grows a bit bigger (I'm only 2 months' pregnant). Has anybody tried it for stretch marks? I'm thinking that perhaps I should make a separate thread on this...
#45 of 57 Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Finally an update for you: I did make the calming oil blend for my toddler using more or less the proportions you stated above. It is wonderful I must say, although I'll try to make a few changes next time, eg. add a bit more chamomile essential oil. The one "complain" I've got is the intense smell of the olive oil; I've used an organic extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (the one I use for my salads) and therefore my oil blend has a lovely green colour but smells a lot like a Greek salad according to my husband
In any case, I guess I could have used a cheaper olive oil but then I know that pure olive oil is really good for the skin so I'm confident that it'd would be great for my son's sensitive skin!
I am glad to hear it worked in the main respect.

A different oil will create a different blend, of course, but appeasing loved ones is important.

#46 of 57 Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Just saw this bumped- I just was ordering more rosehip seed oil from mrh and wound up getting their facial cream in rose, and it is lovely. The ingredients are so simple though, that I'm going to try and make it myself when I'm done. I just don't know how to get this consistency. It is completely non-oily and soaks right in. Also, I have everything but beeswax. Where do you guys buy that?

These are the listed ingredients:
Organic Olive oil, organic Sesame oil, Grapeseed oil, organic Aloe Vera gel, organically cultivated flower water, organic Coconut oil, unrefined Beeswax, Vitamin E and a blend of pure essential oils.
I don' t think there is a preservative in there.
#47 of 57 Old 10-30-2009, 03:08 AM

Hazelnut take a look here: Wild Bee Honey Farm.
I found them on Etsy and bought a couple of pure beeswax candles a while ago and was so thrilled with them so I ordered a few more directly from their site.
#48 of 57 Old 10-30-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. They are all essentially things I put on my face anyway, I would just like it put it all together. Silly question: What does the beeswax even do? I was under the impression it just held it together and gave it consistency, but I don't really know. I know at warm enough temps that combo would just be oil. I'm wondering if melting shea butter would do the same? I keep meaning to do that and add some vit e/ rosehip for an undereye cream and haven't yet.
#49 of 57 Old 10-31-2009, 05:01 AM

Yes, wax is usually used as an emulsifier in natural creams. But pure beeswax also has healing properties for the skin. That is why you can find many baby salves for diaper rash or other minor skin ailments that contain just pure beeswax with a few drops of a soothing essential oil.
#50 of 57 Old 02-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I was looking for this thread to update y'all... I had two major "issues" with my face when I started using the rose hip seed oil:

1. I had a deep line running between my eyebrows with a few small lines on the outer corners of my eyes. The deep line bothered me; the little lines didn't.

2. I had what I consider major skin discoloration across my forehead and the outer edges of my cheeks (in splotches).

After three weeks of regular use (1-2 times a day, every day), the rose hip seed oil seems to have done its job quite nicely! : My skin is more even-toned (and we are still in the height of summer with maximum sun exposure daily) and the deep crease/wrinkle/line between my brows is merely a faint and non-solid line now. I have noticed the biggest improvement in the last week or so, after I mixed the oils. It seems that the rose hip seed oil is more effective in the blend than it was on its own. I am guessing it is due to synergy.

Meanwhile, I have been reading more aromatherapy books and am wondering more and more about the quality of straight vitamin E oil versus wheat germ oil. I'm going to further my research in this area....
What blend of rosehip oil? I really want to try this but don't know what to mim it with....

Quote:
I'd make a very small amount at first until you get the portions where you like 'em. If I were making it, I would start with the following:

1 oz olive oil
1/4 oz calendula infused sunflower oil
2 drops chamomile

Shake and smell. Smell your badger oil to compare them. Adjust the calendula and chamomile, as needed. I'd make it in a 2 oz amber glass bottle with a dropper, so you have room to make adjustments. Write down the ingredients and quantities as you go. This is pretty much how I make all my oil blends, except I am not always comparing to a known scented product.

Keep in mind, you are using slightly different products than what is in the badger baby oil ingredient list, so it may not smell identical no matter what you do.
I want to try this are you still using it?

Quote:
Thanks a lot sunnysandiegan! Will give it a try and keep you posted
#51 of 57 Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM

MomtoRyan yes I'm still preparing this oil for my toddler but I just use more calendula oil and a few more drops of chamomile EO to avoid the strong olive oil smell. I can tell you the exact amounts if you're interested, but I'm still improving it

I'm thinking of ordering some jojoba oil and add it to the blend, as I noticed that the Badger Baby Oil contains it and I really like its texture and smell!
#52 of 57 Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
MomtoRyan yes I'm still preparing this oil for my toddler but I just use more calendula oil and a few more drops of chamomile EO to avoid the strong olive oil smell. I can tell you the exact amounts if you're interested, but I'm still improving it

I'm thinking of ordering some jojoba oil and add it to the blend, as I noticed that the Badger Baby Oil contains it and I really like its texture and smell!
That would be GREAT!! Thanks!!
#53 of 57 Old 02-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I was reading up on coconut oil today. My commercially prepared non-SPF lotions are not moisturizing enough for my skin at night now. They are for oily skin and my skin is not oily anymore. Sooooo... I opened my coconut oil tonight and tried it. Mmmm... smelled and felt heavenly!

I washed with my rose face and hand soap, then spritzed with rosewater...both as usual. Then, I dabbed a drop or two of my rose hip seed oil blend on my ring fingers and lightly massaged it around my eye area. Lastly, I squirted one-third of a dropper of organic unrefined cold-pressed coconut oil into my mouth and a second one-third dropper into my palm and lightly massaged it into my face (overlapping the eye area), neck, and upper chest. I kind of ran out partway through my neck, so I used half as much of a third dropper for the entire neck area and upper chest and had leftovers, so I used it on my hands and knees and heels (lightly). It soaked into my forehead and eye area and nose and chin almost immediately, but is still sitting on top of my cheeks and neck and upper chest. I'll be experimenting with the amount over time.

Coconut oil is liquid in temps 76 degrees and higher, which we have mostly (70s nearly year-round here). It is solid below that, which will occur for a few months a year here. I hear it will melt easily if held in your palm for a bit, so I think it'll be easy to use year-round. It has a very long shelf-life, too.

I love EOs, but not on my face unless I want the healing properties for something specific and short-term. I think I have a good amount of the rose hip seed oil blend mixed up. It is a very small green glass bottle with a screw-top...maybe 5 ml. It is only slightly larger than the tiny clear vials that have the push-in, wiggle-out tops. I'm only using 2-3 drops a day and it will "keep" for a long while due to the vitamin E. I'm hoping for a 2 week to one month supply. I don't want to mix it up every day (too much work; likely to revert back to commercial lotions), but I also don't want it to sit around for months (rancid oils REEK and are not frugal!).

I've never used shea butter and would love to hear about your adventures with it.
I/ went out today in search of rose-hip oil and others you listed. I can't find them anywhere. Where should I be looking? Also the coconut oil I found is solid. Do I melt it every night?
#54 of 57 Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Here it is (sorry but it is written with the European metric system):

-100 ml extra virgin olive oil
-20 ml calendula infused sunflower oil
-10 drops of chamomile (Roman) essential oil

I'll update when I use the jojoba oil!
#55 of 57 Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 PM

Hi MomtoRyan!

I mix up my own blends all the time. Right now, my eye oil is a blend of rosehip seed oil (50%), vitamin E oil (25%), and jojoba oil (25%).

I got them at our local health food store, a discount store, and GNC. I do not recall which was where, though. Two are the NOW brand (available in many places) and I don't recall the brand of E oil because I used it all in blends and the original container has been recycled or repurposed without its label.

I use Heritage brand rosewater. I got my first bottle at the health food store. I got the rest at a local discount store. You can find this brand online, also.

In the summer, I use the coconut oil in its liquid state with a dropper. In the winter, I use the coconut oil in its solid state with my fingernail. I use an amber bottle when it can be poured. I use a small container (shallow, wide opening, screw-top) when it has to be scraped out of the bigger tub we keep in the kitchen for cooking. When it is solid, I scrape out just enough to cover my fingernail and then I warm it in my hands and pat it on my face. I forget the exact temp, but coconut oil melts around 70 degrees so it is easy to melt just what you need in your hands.

HTH!

#56 of 57 Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Here it is (sorry but it is written with the European metric system):

-100 ml extra virgin olive oil
-20 ml calendula infused sunflower oil
-10 drops of chamomile (Roman) essential oil

I'll update when I use the jojoba oil!
Thank you SO much!!
#57 of 57 Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Hi MomtoRyan!

I mix up my own blends all the time. Right now, my eye oil is a blend of rosehip seed oil (50%), vitamin E oil (25%), and jojoba oil (25%).

I got them at our local health food store, a discount store, and GNC. I do not recall which was where, though. Two are the NOW brand (available in many places) and I don't recall the brand of E oil because I used it all in blends and the original container has been recycled or repurposed without its label.

I use Heritage brand rosewater. I got my first bottle at the health food store. I got the rest at a local discount store. You can find this brand online, also.

In the summer, I use the coconut oil in its liquid state with a dropper. In the winter, I use the coconut oil in its solid state with my fingernail. I use an amber bottle when it can be poured. I use a small container (shallow, wide opening, screw-top) when it has to be scraped out of the bigger tub we keep in the kitchen for cooking. When it is solid, I scrape out just enough to cover my fingernail and then I warm it in my hands and pat it on my face. I forget the exact temp, but coconut oil melts around 70 degrees so it is easy to melt just what you need in your hands.

HTH!
OMW Thank you so much I am going to go to GNC asap and the health food store tomorrow. Again thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page