Mothering Forum banner

Professional Carpet Cleaning

558 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  3guys&agirl 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I need to have my carpets cleaned, badly!! Of course, I'm worried about the chemicals. But, I don't know what to ask for when I call. Are there specific thing that are usually found in these cleaning agents that are harmful? And would there be alternatives to those agents? Or does anyone know of any companies that only use natural products?

I would love to just get my own machine and use only natural stuff. But, we live in a small apartment and wouldn't have a place to keep it.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
I would recommed a Rainbow vacuum with a Rainmate. Yes, they are expensive but they are well worth the money. When you have someone come and clean your carpets most of the time they don't get all of the chemicals out which can lead to sickness and it also makes your carpet have to be replaced sooner. You could probably use a natural cleaner in the rainmate though I am not sure. But it rinses with plain water and at least you can see when you have all the "soap" out of the carpet. If you have anymore question you can pm me or post here and I can give you more info. Hope this helps, Brandy

#3 ·
The last time we got our carpets cleaned we used ChemDry...I know, it sounds bad but they told me that their cleaning solution doesn't contain any harmful chemicals...I think they said it was akin to cleaning with club soda (or something like that). Anyhow, the house/carpets did not smell like anything when they were done, and they did a very good job. They also don't saturate the carpet with water, so it was completely dry just a few hours after they were done.

#4 ·
I rented a Rug Doctor the other day for $30 at the grocery store. I didn't use the carpet cleaner is says to use, though. I used a little bit of dishwashing liquid (Ajax anti-bacterial) instead. It worked great.

I am not sure that is chemical-free enough (opinions?), but it seemed better than carpet cleaner to me.

I went over it several times to get it really clean. And then I went over it several times using just the vacuum (not holding the button down) to suck all the excess water out. It was very easy to use the machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.