Homemade conditioner & no-poo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-25-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have LONG hair and have noticed ever since i started no-pooing that my ends feel really dry and crackly (i have what's considered "normal" hair). I'd like to use conditioner here and there to fix this. Are there any recipes for homemade conditioner that you use and like? I'd like to avoid putting mayo in my hair if at all possible--dh will puke if he witnesses that.

Also, i've found dozens of websites on individuals' no-poo processes, but i'd like to know HOW it works. Why/how does bs clean your hair? How does acv restore the ph or whatever it does? Just curious. Plus i don't know what to tell my friends when they ask how it works.
#2 of 5 Old 08-27-2009, 03:29 AM

When my ends get dry I just rub a little coconut oil on them. It takes VERY little, otherwise you end up greasebally.

Baking soda does not work for me at all. It made my hair break off horribly and look awful, and I tried several variations on the solution from a paste to a rinse. I think it only really works if you have soft water, and we don't. To be honest, it was a complete failure for me. I suffered through two whole months of "detox" (which I sort of don't buy into anymore because it never got better) before I broke down and started using castile soap every other day. I really can't get away with going out in public otherwise, and I tried EVERYTHING. Baking soda, bentonite clay, conditioner only...no dice.

Now I use a very diluted solution of castile soap and water in a foaming handwash dispenser and finish with a cider vinegar rinse. I wash my hair every other day. I've also found that doing nothing on the off days is better than water only - every time I've tried water only, I've gotten it halfway dry, realized it looks oilier than before I rinsed it, said a few expletives and gotten back in the shower to wash it for real. Anyway, that was my personal experience...traditional nopoo didn't work for me but it did at least get me to switch to something without any harmful ingredients. I don't really know the science behind the baking soda and cider vinegar...I just know that the cider vinegar basically works like a conditioner for me and baking soda is best left for baking.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#3 of 5 Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTHamI? View Post
I've also found that doing nothing on the off days is better than water only - every time I've tried water only, I've gotten it halfway dry, realized it looks oilier than before I rinsed it, said a few expletives and gotten back in the shower to wash it for real.
I've noticed this as well! I think the hot water pushes the oil along the strand. Some people do well with a little oil on their hair, but mine is only slightly wavey, so the oil just looks BAD. I also only brush my hair before bed and before i wash it. Any more than that and it looks too oily.

Thank you for the coconut oil idea. I also put a little lotion on the ends when it was wet--good way to use up the not-so-good-for-you stuff--and the ends feel better. Think i'll just go with that.

I wonder--since bs is an abrasive, does it just scrub your hair clean the way it scrubs the bathtub clean? Still wondering about acv....
#4 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 AM
~D~

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber913 View Post
I've noticed this as well! I think the hot water pushes the oil along the strand. Some people do well with a little oil on their hair, but mine is only slightly wavey, so the oil just looks BAD. I also only brush my hair before bed and before i wash it. Any more than that and it looks too oily.

Thank you for the coconut oil idea. I also put a little lotion on the ends when it was wet--good way to use up the not-so-good-for-you stuff--and the ends feel better. Think i'll just go with that.

I wonder--since bs is an abrasive, does it just scrub your hair clean the way it scrubs the bathtub clean? Still wondering about acv....
Hi =)

I tried the BS method & ACV rinse because I ran out of the regular stuff. I use BS & EVOO to exfoliate & it works great. I use ACV as a toner, love that too... Why not, I ask myself...

So, I'm in the shower, realize I am out of regular shampoo:, remember all the great stuff I have been reading & decide I need to try it. it was awesome!! I just worked in a couple of handfuls of BS, try not to freak out b/c there's no bubbles, no nothing... I rinse with water & about a 50/50 ACV solution. After the shower, my hair was squeaky clean, but not dry... It's about 1/2 dry right now & feels great!! :

I wonder if it has anything to do with ph levels... Like everyone is different and not everything works the same for everyone, right?? I wonder if I can keep doing this?? We'll see, I may be a convert. I don't use soap on my face either...

~Diana~ Mama to DD 13 blahblah.gif and DS 10 jumpers.gif

#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

we've just returned to baking soda and vinegar (we call it a soda wash and and apple rinse, it just sounds nicer to the children) and if my hair is dry i use shea butter mixed with coconut oil as a pomade - as a pp said, not much!! i was also not very impressed with all the unstable foods folks suggest washing your hair in - i need something that can sit permanently by the tub!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page