The Ladycup!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
loon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: in the moment
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies,

if you like the Divacup, you might like the Ladycup. I have had mine for 2 cycles so far and I haven't even trimmed the stem yet (although I'm going to, I do like it shorter).
Anyway, it's a smidge shorter than the Diva, but comes in different colors; I got mine in a pretty green.

It's smooth, so it's much much easier to clean. That also makes it a bit slippery but I think all the cups are slippery anyway. LOL.

But like the Diva it holds quite a bit and I find myself not having to empty it as much, even on my heavy days (unlike my Mooncup UK, which is quite shorter) and the seal is great.

Here's the link

I also found a discount code online when I ordered, so I got 15% off.

Thought I'd throw that alternative out there.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
loon13 is offline  
#2 of 14 Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
 
Poddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooh, they look so pretty! Where can I find a discount code? Did you get the large or small? Will you say the large is similar in size as Divacup?

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
Poddi is offline  
#3 of 14 Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
loon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: in the moment
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just googled it last time, honestly. And if the number didn't work, just kept changing the last 2 numbers until I hit it. I was sent a discount code with my order, but I can't find it at the moment. Livejournal has a whole community about menstrual cups and the ladies there are very happy to share codes.

One livejournal link

Ladycup coupons

I ordered the large (over 30, 2 births, and I just know from past cups that's my size) and i found it about the same yet a tad shorter than the Divacup.

Here are actual measurements of all the cups in this Wikipedia link.

I have to say again it is super easy to clean since it's so smooth, but be careful it can get slippery when in use!

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
loon13 is offline  
#4 of 14 Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
loon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: in the moment
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I FOUND MY CODE! It came with my order so hasn't been used yet that I know of. I'll PM you with it.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
loon13 is offline  
#5 of 14 Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
 
mk12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13 View Post
Ladies,

if you like the Divacup, you might like the Ladycup. I have had mine for 2 cycles so far and I haven't even trimmed the stem yet (although I'm going to, I do like it shorter).
Anyway, it's a smidge shorter than the Diva, but comes in different colors; I got mine in a pretty green.

It's smooth, so it's much much easier to clean. That also makes it a bit slippery but I think all the cups are slippery anyway. LOL.

But like the Diva it holds quite a bit and I find myself not having to empty it as much, even on my heavy days (unlike my Mooncup UK, which is quite shorter) and the seal is great.

Here's the link

I also found a discount code online when I ordered, so I got 15% off.

Thought I'd throw that alternative out there.
Hey Loon, I bought/won a set of these on Ebay Saturday. They haven't arrived yet though. I will be receiving both the Small and Large size in green. I paid $19.99 for both of them with free shipping.

I believe the seller is the manufacturer. They have a lot of Buy it Now listings that are very high priced. I think they usually put up a bunch for auction every week. (I'm pretty sure there are auctions for the Lady Cup and colored cups ending this Saturday.)

Some of the individual cups were won for $10-$13 or so. Some went quite a bit higher, but were still a good deal.

I had read a lot of reviews before bidding, since this is my first cup and I wanted something that was not too large and easy to insert. I did read that removal could be slightly more difficult because it's so smooth which can make it more slippery, but I am more interested in comfort.

The Small Lady Cup is one of the smallest cups. I'm hoping it will work for me since my flow is pretty light.

The Large is similar to the small Diva Cup, I believe. I hope it is shrink-wrapped so that I can sell it if the small works for me. I had intended to just get a small, but I lost the first few auctions I was bidding on because they had a person who had placed a bid with maximum automatic bidding... and I was getting anxious that I wasn't going to get one at a good price. I should have been more patient, because there were one or two that never even got any bids that I could have gotten for the starting price of $9.99 or $10.99. Bidding on Ebay totally stresses me out.
mk12 is offline  
#6 of 14 Old 10-21-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
loon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: in the moment
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mk12, those are good prices. I know what you mean about bidding on Ebay. I don't even bother bidding until it's the day the auction ends. Enjoy your cup! I'd like to heart what you think of it...

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
loon13 is offline  
#7 of 14 Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 PM
 
mk12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13 View Post
mk12, those are good prices. I know what you mean about bidding on Ebay. I don't even bother bidding until it's the day the auction ends. Enjoy your cup! I'd like to heart what you think of it...
Yeah, I waited until the last minute or so because I didn't want to inflate the prices too much. There were quite a few where people put in bids for the starting price days before, and a couple of them never got another bid, so they got it really cheap. Lucky people.

I'm excited about trying the cup in a couple of weeks, but also intimidated. I've know about them for years, but used cloth instead because I'm super-sensitive and didn't think I'd be comfortable with a cup. I'm hoping the LadyCup is small and smooth enough that I won't feel it.

I saw a great video on Youtube where a lady was demonstrating insertion and removal using a glass tube. I really need to watch that again a few times before I try it.

Did you use the Diva before switching to the LadyCup? Was it difficult, when you first started using a cup? Any tips?
mk12 is offline  
#8 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 AM
 
mom2childs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOVE the DivaCup. Yes, there's a learning curve. The 2 hardest things are learning to insert and get that necessary suction so it doesn't leak, and learning to change it in public. In public I take 3 wet napkins into the stall to wipe the cup and my hands with. Oh, and I also put a little toilet paper in the toilet before I empty it, otherwise there'll be blood left behind when you flush - and I would hate to leave the stall like that after I've finished.
mom2childs is offline  
#9 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
loon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: in the moment
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk12 View Post
Did you use the Diva before switching to the LadyCup? Was it difficult, when you first started using a cup? Any tips?
I first started out using the Keeper way back in 2000. I was always slightly irritated by the Keeper, sort of like an inside itch, I think it was a latex sensitivity.

Then had dd1 and then when I got my period back in 2003 switched to the Diva because I preferred silicone over latex.

I loved the Diva but always felt a bit sore with it, I think it was too long. So I switched to the Mooncup UK in 2005. Much shorter than the Diva. A bit too short, I emptied that thing quite a bit.

Flashforward to 2008, my period returns again (after the twins in 2007) and I start looking for other options. Hence, found the Ladycup.

I used tampons before the cup so I had no qualms about inserting the cup. It did take a bit to make sure it opened properly. But I really I didn't find it very difficult. Allow yourself to time to adjust to it and follow your own learning curve.

The videos are great to watch, but you really need the hands-on experience.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
loon13 is offline  
#10 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
 
mk12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice Loon. I have one more question, if you don't mind. I have read that the little holes in the LadyCup are lower down than other cups, and because of that the volume it holds is less. I also read someone's post that it can fill higher than the holes and doesn't leak because of the way they are angled. I was just wondering if you noticed whether or not it tends to leak if it gets filled above the holes? I'm hoping it doesn't since that would make the volume the small cup holds extremely low.
mk12 is offline  
#11 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
loon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: in the moment
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk12 View Post
Thanks for the advice Loon. I have one more question, if you don't mind. I have read that the little holes in the LadyCup are lower down than other cups, and because of that the volume it holds is less. I also read someone's post that it can fill higher than the holes and doesn't leak because of the way they are angled. I was just wondering if you noticed whether or not it tends to leak if it gets filled above the holes? I'm hoping it doesn't since that would make the volume the small cup holds extremely low.
I don't mind questions. I just hope I'm helping with the answers.

I haven't found the holes to be lower down in the Ladycup. I found them to be extremely low in the Mooncup UK cup. That is why I had to empty the thing quite a bit.

Because the holes are small, if there were a leak, it's not a leaky, gushy feeling like you get with a tampon, when the tampon can't hold anymore. It's more like it starts to have a trickling feeling. At least that's what it is for me. I've noticed that when it gets toward the holes, it *feels* as if it's leaking (i.e. the trickling feeling) and I know it's time to empty it. I always wear a pantyliner as backup, sometimes a pad at night, for backup, anyway.

ETA: Here's a link that has pictures of the different cups. You can see where some of the holes are in the pics. The cups like the Diva, Mooncup, and Keeper have a rim, and usually the holes are under the rim. The smooth cups (the green Ladycup is exactly the one I have) are easier to see the holes. http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/2...-cup-pictures/

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
loon13 is offline  
#12 of 14 Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 AM
 
mk12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13 View Post
ETA: Here's a link that has pictures of the different cups. You can see where some of the holes are in the pics. The cups like the Diva, Mooncup, and Keeper have a rim, and usually the holes are under the rim. The smooth cups (the green Ladycup is exactly the one I have) are easier to see the holes. http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/2...-cup-pictures/
Thanks for the info, and thank you for posting that link with the photos of all the different ladycups. I know it's probably silly, but I was actually a little bummed when I ended up with the green one... but looking at the picture, I think the green ladycup (and its bag) is the prettiest. I know it's just a menstrual cup... but I am glad I'm getting a cute one.
mk12 is offline  
#13 of 14 Old 10-28-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
loon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: in the moment
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk12 View Post
Thanks for the info, and thank you for posting that link with the photos of all the different ladycups. I know it's probably silly, but I was actually a little bummed when I ended up with the green one... but looking at the picture, I think the green ladycup (and its bag) is the prettiest. I know it's just a menstrual cup... but I am glad I'm getting a cute one.
I don't think it's silly to want a certain color, not when they are offered in so many. I think it does help if you think your cup is cute. It makes a monthly thing that more bearable. I don't always love my period...the fatigue, the stains, etc. But the cup really really makes it easier for me.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
loon13 is offline  
#14 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
 
mk12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13 View Post
I don't think it's silly to want a certain color, not when they are offered in so many. I think it does help if you think your cup is cute. It makes a monthly thing that more bearable. I don't always love my period...the fatigue, the stains, etc. But the cup really really makes it easier for me.
My period started this morning and my cups were just delivered this afternoon. The green cups and their little cotton pouches are so cute! I'm really glad I got the green ones.

They are soft and pliable, but the silicone is a little thicker and sturdier than I was expecting. I though the cup part would be more like the thinner, pliable stem.

Well, I'm already wearing my cloth, so I don't think I will try them today. (I'm feeling achy all over and not quite up to the challenge of learning a new skill.) I may just wait until Saturday to give it a try.

I'm so glad they finally arrived though. I was getting worried because I didn't have a tracking number and it had been about 2.5 weeks. Understandable since it was coming to the US from the Czech Republic, but I had read others received their packages in a week, which made me a little concerned.
mk12 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off