Forum Jump: 

#61 of 435 Old 02-08-2004, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by kimberlylibby
Who has found a good boar hair brush?
I found one at my local natural health food store. Whole Foods/Fresh Fields carries the same (can't rememeber the name) brand. It cost about $20 and looked very well made.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#62 of 435 Old 02-08-2004, 03:32 PM

I found my boar bristle brush at Sally's Beauty Supply. It was 14.99, and has really nice, coarse bristles (which I need for my thick hair)
#63 of 435 Old 02-08-2004, 05:02 PM

It's been two weeks and mine looks terrible now. It looked GREAT the first week. I hope my body adjusts soon. I'm embarrassed to go out looking like this. I used to shampoo once a week- now I need to do sonmething more often.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#64 of 435 Old 02-08-2004, 05:59 PM

You know, I think we do need to do something to clean our hair. Most of us live in dirty cities and our hair does get dirty so I think it's unrealistic to think that we can just rinse our hair with water and that it will take care of itself.

If the baking soda route isn't working, try some other natural cleaning products. I was just looking at the www.care2.com websitewww.care2.com and there was all kinds of interesting info there. I also put a book on hold at the library called The Herbal Home Spa by Greta Breedlove. This is one of her recipes.

BASIC SHAMPOO FORMULA
Ingredients
2 tablespoons liquid castile soap
1 cup spring water
¼ cup fresh herbs (2 tablespoons dried)
1 teaspoon almond or apricot kernel oil
2 drops essential oil

To make:
1. Place herbs in a clean 10-ounce glass jar with a lid.
2. Boil the spring water and pour over the herbs.
3. Cover and let steep for 10 to 20 minutes.
4. Strain the liquid from the herbs into a bowl.
5. Add the liquid castile soap and almond or apricot kernel oil and mix thoroughly.
6. Scent with essential oil and mix again.
7. Bottle in a plastic container with a spout or a clean recycled shampoo bottle.

Yield: Approximately 24 shampoos

HERBAL HAIR CONDITIONERS
Herbal hair conditions help make hair more manageable and often impart a smoother and softer texture. They are especially good for those who cannot live without hot rollers, curling irons, and blow dryers.

Jojoba Conditioner
Ingredients
1 cup rose floral water
1 tablespoon jojoba oil
10 drops vitamin E oil

To make:
1. In the top of a double boiler, gently warm the rose water.
2. Once rose water is warm, add jojoba oil.
3. Pour the mixture in a blender and add the vitamin E. Blend at high speed for 2 minutes.
To use:
1. Wet hair with warm water.
2. Pour the conditioner onto your hair and scalp, massaging in thoroughly.
3. For damaged hair or extra conditioning, leave on for several minutes, perhaps while bathing.
4. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
5. Shampoo lightly and rinse again with cool water.
#65 of 435 Old 02-08-2004, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I found one at Kroger but it was NASTY and cheap!

I am on day 2 now. HUGE deal for me to go this long!!!! I am doing fine though! Hair looks & feels normal. Today I just rinsed with water and my shower was SO fast. It felt so weird to hop in and out!!

Kimberly
I bought mine at the hfs... it was $17.95 Stiff boar bristles, wide head (I have long hair) and wooden handle. Very nice!

I fear I've been set back though. Today is Day 10 and I realized that dd has head lice. I'm so mad! I have no idea where from. It took my mom and dh 1 1/4 hrs to go through my hair with a nit comb. They found one larvae and a few eggs but no lice... probably killed 'em with my new hairbrush! I better clean it well I guess. We're all washing our hair with a mixture of castile soap, tea tree oil and lavendar oil. I'm just :Puke at the idea of lice. Yuck!
#66 of 435 Old 02-08-2004, 10:45 PM

but before I do anything crazy I want to make sure I have a handle on how to give up shampoo and conditioner. So correct me if I am wrong, please....

"Wash" hair every few days with 1/4 cup of baking soda mixed with enough water to make a paste. Rinse.

Rinse hair with apple cider vinegar (2 TBSP to 2 cups water).

And buy a Boar Hair Brush.

Is that it? Is it really that simple?

JoyfulMomma
#67 of 435 Old 02-08-2004, 11:50 PM

busybusymomma
Being shampoo-free for 10 days might have saved you from a full-on lice infestation. They thrive in "clean" hair because the nits can attach to the hair strands better than they could to hairs covered in natural oils. Another benefit of being 'poo free!

Laurie

#68 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 12:43 AM

JoyfulMomma,

Yep, that's it!!

I'm debating doing the bs/acv again tomorrow.... that would be just one day of water-rinse and then "washing" again tomorrow.. but my hair feels Sooooooo greasyt onight!!

Not itchy yet, but greasy! I get oily when pg!
#69 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 01:25 AM

Well, last week my hubbie started to complain about my hair being smelly. I'm not sure if it was the acv rinse, or the coconut oil i had used to condition. Maybe it was a combination. The coconut does have a funky smell its true. It was helping to condition my hair, but I stopped using it cause it was stinky. I went ahead and got a "shampoo" bar...it's for body and hair, it's "Wisdom of the Ancients Cream and Coco Hair and Body Shampoo". It's made from the edible fruit and leaves of a certain tree in Paraguay. I used it yesterday and a few days before that. I got this "condition jelly" from aubrey organics, but its a "leave in" type and it leaves a film on my hair and it doesn't even condition well. My hair is long and wavy and I really need to find a way to condition my hair..it tends to get nappy and dry and frizz throughout the day. I will try the recipe for Jojoba conditioner.
It also helps if I only brush my hair when wet...it really tends to frizz when I brush it dry. Maybe if I find a good conditioner it will fix that....
So, anyway, it's been about three weeks now without chemically shampoo (was using pantene before). I've washed once with baking soda, once with baby shampoo, and twice with shampoo bar. The shampoo bar and the baking soda are both good....now onto conditioner.......

#70 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 10:32 AM

It has been 2 weeks for me - I have used the baking soda/vinegar wash twice. My hair looks better than ever...so far it is working wonderfully for me. I decided to try going shampoo/soap (I have used both at times) free as I shed a lot...I mean a lot! So, I am hoping that going poo free will help. I'll let you'all know...
#71 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akirasmama
busybusymomma
Being shampoo-free for 10 days might have saved you from a full-on lice infestation. They thrive in "clean" hair because the nits can attach to the hair strands better than they could to hairs covered in natural oils. Another benefit of being 'poo free!

Laurie

Yes, I think you're right! My dd had it much worse... I normally wash her hair with Burt's Bees Baby Bee Shampoo Bar.
#72 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! I just finally began reading this thread (!) and am so excited to stop pooing again. I go through phases and fall off the bandwagon often.

Can I recommend a book for those of you who are interested in making natural products?? I use lots of the salves she recommends too. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
It's "earthly bodies & heavenly hair' by dina falconi.
I heard her speak at a women's herbalist convention I attended last summer and she's wonderful. She hasn't washed her hair in 10 yrs, and is gorgeous (and not at all smelly). She has really thick, black, coarse hair, which seems to lend itself well to her ritual of using just oils and rosemary eo and brushing daily. My hair is fine, straight and reddish, and gets really greasy in a day , hence my shampoo addiction. Oh, she also doesn't use any soap.. just a spray of infused witchhazel on the 'stinky' areas.

I made her shampoo recipe (similar to the one posted back a ways with castile soap, EOs, oil) and it worked nicely.

Has anyone used beer as a conditioner? I did this as a teenager (my excuse for sneaking beer... I can't believe my dad let me get away with this! :LOL) I remember smelling suspicious, but my hair was shiny.
#73 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Kimberly
I got mine for $10 at target. When I clean hair out of the brush the bristles come out with it.

I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and found much nicer looking ones for about $7.
#74 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca
Can I recommend a book for those of you who are interested in making natural products?? I use lots of the salves she recommends too. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
It's "earthly bodies & heavenly hair' by dina falconi.
I heard her speak at a women's herbalist convention I attended last summer and she's wonderful. She hasn't washed her hair in 10 yrs, and is gorgeous (and not at all smelly). She has really thick, black, coarse hair, which seems to lend itself well to her ritual of using just oils and rosemary eo and brushing daily. I made her shampoo recipe (similar to the one posted back a ways with castile soap, EOs, oil) and it worked nicely.
How much of the book is dedicated to hair care???? That's the only topic I'm really interested in.

Can you describe the Witch Hazel spray? what brand do you use? ratio? TIA.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#75 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 03:53 PM

no poo update:

I used BS and ACV and my hair looks great again. I guess plain water doesn't work for me. It's back to being shiny and non-greasy and I'm having a good hair day.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#76 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 04:30 PM

So thats a little bit of a lie... I did use a smidge of poo this AM, as i did a Jojoba massage on my dry scalp, and the BS didn't get it all out. I'm doing well, although I still have a really dry patch of scalp that flakes at the front of my hair line. I'm doing the BS/ ACV every 2-3 days, and doing the jojoba massage the night before I do the BS/ACV.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#77 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca

Has anyone used beer as a conditioner? I did this as a teenager (my excuse for sneaking beer... I can't believe my dad let me get away with this! :LOL) I remember smelling suspicious, but my hair was shiny. [/B]
:LOL :LOL Thats too funny! I've used this on my hair as well as egg (not together) but dh found out I was using his precious beer and it didn't go.... he doesn't drink cheap beers is prob. why!

Anyway, all I can say is that I've seen the other post on no poo-ing but never had time to read it.... Now I've read this one and I'm going to try it!! I'm a SAHM so the hump period is ok as the only ppl who see me are dh and kids

We'll see how it goes.
#78 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 07:24 PM

Damn it, damn it, damn it!

I don't check in for a few days and come back to this big old thing! Already it's huge!!

I am on 3+ weeks of no poo. I got my hair cut Saturday (she's also a friend) and used BS before I went. She didn't really bat an eye when I told her what I was doing. I did let her put some product on my hair before using the flat iron (to protect it from the heat). No biggie...it was a fairly natural product (not really, but better than some).

I use Aveda at home (to protect from flat iron) and this is similar stuff. After the Aveda product is gone I'm not sure what I will do. I paid too much for it to throw it out.

Anyone else use a flat iron? What do you use to protect your hair?

Off to go back and read some...
#79 of 435 Old 02-09-2004, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
How much of the book is dedicated to hair care???? That's the only topic I'm really interested in.

Can you describe the Witch Hazel spray? what brand do you use? ratio? TIA.
There's a whole chapter for hair care. She starts by explaining a bit about soap, lists about 5-8 recipes for different hair types, has recipes for hair rinses (conditioning treatments) including vinegar rinses, scalp emollients, oil treatments and hair pomades for thick, frizzy or dry hair.

The witch hazel deodorant is 10 drops tea tree oil per oz witch hazel. There are also recipes for natural deodorants (using vodka, water and EOs).
#80 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 12:13 AM

#81 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 12:46 AM

Day 7 for me and I must say, I am amazed at how good my hair feels and looks. Better than any shampoo day.

I still do not understand how we can get away without soap, though. Does the baking soda actually clean the hair by removing the grease and with it, the dirt?

Anyway, until necessary I am going to continue with the baking soda and ACV.

Note to others, I put the baking soda paste on my hair and let it sit there for 15-20 minutes wrapped in a towel before I rinse it out. I don't know if that is why my hair is looking and feeling so great. I shampooed on day 1, and have done the BS and ACV on days 4 and 7. My hair was quite greasy on day 3 but was not really greasy at all on days 5 or 6. In fact, I was thinking it was looking a little dry.
#82 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 02:05 AM

I've been 'poo free for 10 days now, and my hair has never looked better! I've done 2 baking soda "washes" with a vinegar rinse, and nothing else. I'm so glad I ran across the original 'poo free thread - I never would have tried this on my own!
#83 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 03:53 AM

Found the new thread! I"m into week 5 I think of no poo. So far the results are pretty good. I went to the hairdresser today. I decided that I can't promote no poo IRL if I look like I have permanently been dragged thru a hedge backwards. So I went & got all my damaged ends cut off. I had just done a BS wash so I told her not to bother washing my hair as I had washed it this morning already. Little did she know what without . She put some icky "product" on it to get the curl back so I am thinking I will need to wash again tomorrow as the ends now look greasier than my sheep does. But she actually charged me $15 less as she didn't have to wash my hair!!!

Anyone's hair getting much lighter than normal ?
#84 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
doing BS and ACV combo 2x a week. Bought a boar brush - not sure its right for my thick hair. hair looks so-so today. not so good. i think i need to leave more BS on longer. i hope.

thats my rushed update

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#85 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 05:04 AM

Hi OceanMomma

Can I ask what you are using on your hair?

My hair is noticeably changing colour too - it's getting lighter and redder whereas it has always been very dark brown, almost black in some light. Now it is auburn - unfortunately it looks like I have spent a fortune at the hairdressers putting a load of chemicals on it to get the colours / highlights I have now

Ah well! I have no idea why it is happening, or if it is linked, but I'd be interested to hear of anyone elses' hair changing colour!

blessings
Rachelle
#86 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 05:10 AM

brushes:

If you can get Mason Pearson brushes over there, they are fabulous - expensive, but an investment. They do a boar bristle one, and they do a 'handbag' one which is really funky to use on children

I really think it is worth spending money on a decent brush if you are going to go no-poo.

blessings and *loving* spending time with you no-poo mamas - I feel like I've come home . No longer am I the 'odd one out!'

Rachelle
#87 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 05:11 AM

Just boring old baking soda in warm water. Massaged in for a few mins & rinsed off. When I can get at it, I use an apple cider vinegar rinse with rosemary tea. It could be the sun too. It has been like going under the grill this summer even if it is not that warm out.
#88 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 05:25 AM

I'm new to the no-poo life - I've washed once with BS in water, followed by an ACV rinse...That was on Sunday, and my hair still feels clean tonight.

I've noticed a few big differences already:

I normally have a very well-defined "natural" part (I brush my wet hair, and it appears, perfectly straight, with no effort on my part. After my first BS/ACV wash, my part is crazy - Not at all straight, and much narrower than before, and I can't get the old straight part back with any combing or brushing. This is OK by me, just interesting.

TONS of frizz - I have long, fine hair (used to be thick, before post-partum balding ), which has never been all that smooth - Now, each of my hairs is doing its best to form a frizzy aura around my head. Will this get better? Should I be using some sort of EO (I've got a bottle of rosemary and a bunch of others)?

My scalp feels more alive. I'm not used to feeling much of anything from my scalp, but I've been very aware of it for the past few days. Maybe because I'm thinking about it so much, but I like to think it's because it's enjoying the poo-free environment...
#89 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 09:08 AM

hmmm, i guess i'm about a month into no 'poo.
i've been doing bs/acv rince every 2-4 days, depending on things.
sometimes i add a bit of conditioner or olive oil to the ends.

i also bought a boar brush, but it is wierd to me bc I NEVER brush my hair, as it is almost waist lenght. :LOL

now i have a confession to make.... i color my hair (probably the worst thing for it) and need to either color it again or strip it so i can go natural. i don't think i have the funds to strip it, so we'll see. anyway, now i'm out of the closet. :LOL

#90 of 435 Old 02-10-2004, 10:07 AM

rebX: I'm guessing you will just have to wait a bit till the natural oils end up in the "right" spots....... I think it will all even out and your frizz will get under control.

Of couse, I'm on day 4, so what do I know?? LOL

My hair is FINE. A tad greasy at the roots, but I haven't done anything but water since Saturday!! Wowie! Today I will do bs/acv.

My cheapskate husband is thrilled. LOL

Of course, he hasn't seen the boarhead brush I want yet,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page