NO-SHAMPOO MAMAS (February) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 435 Old 02-11-2004, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am loving the pictures!
What are suggestions for straw hair? I guess that's the phase my hair is going through now on it's journey to it's natural equilibrium.
#122 of 435 Old 02-11-2004, 07:53 PM

Day 2 of no shampoo for me. I did wash with the shampoo bar yesterday and the gunk is still in my hair today. But I refuse to give in this time! I did the BS and ACV rinse today. Hair is pretty greasy, but I think that's more due to the shampoo bar than anything. I have to work tomorrow so I'm hoping it'll look better tomorrow. Still waiting on my shipment of EOs from Ebay so I can use the other rinses. I don't want to give up yet! Hair is thicker and feels softer too.
#123 of 435 Old 02-11-2004, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mona
T--- out of curiousity, how did you find out that your dd is alergic to peanuts. and is it all nuts? i am doing an elimination diet, and am dreading that she will be alergic to nuts since i am pretty much vegan.
She always had a "heat rash" on the back of her shoulders. I suppose because we ate a lot of thai food. I figured it was summer, it was hot, it would go away if I left her clothes off. It didn't but iwas ever so faint. She was about 4.5 or 5 mos old. I gave my dog a pil with peanut butter but when I went to wash my hands at the sink there was no soap so I just rubbed them together under hot water. There was peanut oil all over my hands and I picked up dd and she had to shirt on. She got massive, angry hives and screamed for two hours. I was trying so hard to figure out what it was and I wiped my nose and smelled peanut all over my hands. We eliminated peanut but occasionally people would hold her and she get small hives and it would turn out that they had eaten a PB&J sandwich a few hours earlier. Now we are really careful, typically don't let people touch her or kiss her until they've washed their hands just to be on the safe side.

ON topic, today I put a little organic ACV in a big bowl of water to rinse my hair and OMG!! it was so smooth!! Then I added some organic lemon juice to a jar of water and did a final rinse with that and my hair is so much smoother and shinier. I figure we can afford it if I do this once a week or split the amounts and do it twice a week. Right now I shower with dd at my feet and I stop up the tub. I don't want the BS to make the water too alkaline for her yoni so I've been draining the tub when I wash my hair and refilling after I rinse. Today I let the vinegar and lemon juice be in the tub because yonis are supposed to be slightly acidic. I washed her hair by using that water and massaging her scalp, then I watered down the lemon juice rinse I had left in the jar and rinsed her hair with that. It didn't get in her eyes but she did like the taste. Seems to do the trick, so I won't use soap until I feel like there is no alternative, and of course I'll ask here for advice first. My hair looks great today. I didn't rinse the last lemon rinse out and it acted like gel in my hair, it was so nice and smooth and under control!! Yay!
#124 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 12:06 AM

I am ready to jump on board.... I will let you know how it goes.

JoyfulMomma
#125 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 12:19 AM

Day 3 for me. I don't know if I can stand it for much longer! The greasy look is killing me. I did the bs wash and rinsed with ACV this morning. It brushed out wonderfully (usually is really tangly) but it's so oily around my temples and the back of my neck.

It looks pretty skanky but I'm hanging in there.
#126 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pepper
Day 3 for me. I don't know if I can stand it for much longer! The greasy look is killing me. I did the bs wash and rinsed with ACV this morning. It brushed out wonderfully (usually is really tangly) but it's so oily around my temples and the back of my neck.

It looks pretty skanky but I'm hanging in there.
Mine is over the hump I think (day 13). I think at most, I can skip one day of washing my hair. I'm thrilled with the way the baking soda cleans my hair and the diluted ACV (when the smell doesn't make me :Puke) works better than any conditioner I've ever used, including salon brands! I used castile soap for a few days but I like the baking soda better.
#127 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 01:13 AM

Akirasmama, thanks for writing the summary up! Veganmama - nice to read about how well your hair is doing. I'm not having such a great time.:

- Tonight I rinsed with 2-3 drops (diluted in a lot of water) Rosemary EO - that helped to FINALLY get rid of the horrible ACV smell - due to me idiotically dumping a cup onto my hair a week or so ago.

- I scrambled an egg and put it on my hair... now my hair smells like egg
- I'm noticing LOTS of DRYNESS (I think the egg made it WORSE!) under my hair (whereas a few days ago it was really oily on top.

- Maybe I'll try a beer rinse next time.

I am using a Shampoo Bar which I do like.

T Now this is really weird... I usually take a bath (I find it relaxing and I like to scrub myself clean). Lately I have been using a dry skin brush (it's supposed to be good for detoxifying the skin). I have used the dry skin brush on and off without any noticeable difference in bathwater... (except the FIRST TIME I used it... all the dirt that was on my skin REALLY came off and after that, it wasn't a problem in the bath water anymore).

Anyway, LATELY my bathwater is SO DIRTY!!! Two days in a row... I don't think it's my hair.... I think it's my skin... but I can't explain it. Weird. Any ideas???

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#128 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 03:58 AM

Wow Ladies - I have loved looking at the photos - you are such an inspiration

For 'straw hair' how could you apply a couple of drops of jojoba or avocado oil to the dry areas until it evens out? check your intake levels of EFAs too.

Gotta dash - Verona is claiming starvation and neglect
:

Have a great day everyone

blessings
Rachelle
#129 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 11:54 AM

For those worried about the cost of organic ACV... when you pour it over your head most of it goes down the drain. I have mine in a spray bottle. I can still soak my hair with it and it lasts a long time.
#130 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 12:14 PM

Monnie and busybusymomma-thanks for the pics. I think the pictures will encourage others to go no poo too.

Quote:
Anyway, LATELY my bathwater is SO DIRTY!!! Two days in a row... I don't think it's my hair.... I think it's my skin... but I can't explain it. Weird. Any ideas???
The skin is the biggest organ of the body, and is one of the bodies detoxification pathways. So, my guess would be that the skin brush is flaking the dead skin off, and along with your diet and excersize, creating and clearing a pathway for detoxification through your skin. Just a guess though. If it is true, showering the stuff coming off would be something you would want to do daily, keep brushing with the skin brush, keep eating pure, keep exersizing, and take vitamins, minerals, vit C, and lots of water. Yeah! for you.
#131 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 02:46 PM

I didn't think organic ACV was that spendy. I bought a 32 oz bottle at the co-op here for 3.59, and it'll last like 2 months probably with diluting it. That's way cheaper than the 8 bucks a bottle(or more) for organic conditioner...

I am *still* having flaking/itching problems. The day of the bs/acv wash and the day after are fine...then I am scratching like a mad woman. I might try rubbing oil into my scalp at bedtime the night before a wash and see if that helps, but man, I can't take the itching!!

Mamas~Your hair looks great!!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#132 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 03:53 PM

Anyone poo-less here with really fine hair? I have a lot of hair but it's really fine. It is basically stringy and so greasy in areas that it almost looks wet. Yuck!

I actually had the shampoo bottle in my hand in the shower today but held off. I'm on the shampoo equivalent of a tall building ledge, mama's! Help me be strong! :LOL

All the pictures here show women with such beautiful hair. I'm thinking that maybe my hair type is not going to do well with this.
#133 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 04:46 PM

Okay ladies, I am wanting to go poo-less, but I am so confused! What are the measurements of bs to water, and how much ACV should I use? My hair is down to the middle of my back. Does the ACV condition? I tried to wade through all of the previous pages, but there are too many!! :LOL Maybe a sticky thread with the different recipies for what people are making to use on their hair would help? JMHO.

AmiBeth

#134 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 05:33 PM

Hi, this is my first time ever visiting this area of MDC and I was wondering if someone could catch me up with what this thread is all about and what you all are doing and why, so that maybe I can join in. I don't really want to wade through 7 pages of posts or search the archives to figure it out. Thank!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#135 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 05:35 PM

I've been lurking and participating but hadn't posted till today. I lost count, but I'm on at least day 5-7 of no poo. Doing BS and ACV. Boy, is my hair getting RED, though!. I think next time I'm at the HFS I'll get some Rosemary eo and try it as an alternative.

I think soembody else mentioned having a broken-out scalp. I did like OceanMama and treated mine with TTO in the BS mixture, but put TOO MUCH the first time. Shoo! Stinky! But it did take care of the itch!

Will post a picture when I can get to the camera - DH has it!
#136 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 05:47 PM

pepper-
I have really fine hair, and all is going well. i'm over a month now, i think.
we have excellent quality water, so maybe that has helped me.

i am doing bs/acv every 3-4 days, and adding conditioner to the ends as needed. i usually keep the bs for the root hair, as it seemed to dry out my ends. (my hair is almost to my waist)
then i dump the diluted acv over my hair.

#137 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 07:19 PM

I lOVE all the pictures!

I am going to put one on here in a couple of days....I just popped out of the tub and my hair is clean (I bs/acv every 4 or 5 days)....when my hair looks like it usually does.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#138 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pepper
Anyone poo-less here with really fine hair? I have a lot of hair but it's really fine. It is basically stringy and so greasy in areas that it almost looks wet. Yuck!

I actually had the shampoo bottle in my hand in the shower today but held off. I'm on the shampoo equivalent of a tall building ledge, mama's! Help me be strong! :LOL

All the pictures here show women with such beautiful hair. I'm thinking that maybe my hair type is not going to do well with this.
nak

Me! Did you look at the picture I posted earlier in the thread? My hair is fine and thick, a weird combo! It looks SO much better now... I don't need to style it because it has more body. My ends have loong layers and that adds the appearance of more body I think... I think maybe I have less build-up in my hair now too.
#139 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 PM

I also concentrate the BS on the scalp. What I'm doing is taking a big plastic cup and dumping some BS in it before I get in the shower, then once I get in and wet hair, I fill the cup with warm water and swish it around, then pour on my hair and massage into the scalp.

This morning I needed a little "lift" but didn't feel like I was greasy enough for the BS so I just "washed" with a little conditioner on the ends, rinsed that out, then did ACV wash. Wasn't sure how it would work but it seemed to do just fine.
#140 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Tani......that's a great idea! I definitely need to establish a dry-brushing routine. I've also heard it helps with cellulite!! Wahoooo....I could definitely use help in that area.

PEPPER! Step AWAY from the ledge!!!!! Maybe Rachelle can give you some words of wisdom? Go out and buy yourself a gorgeous scarf.....or a funky hat. Something beautiful to take your mind off the state of your hair. I think my hair changes every day during this process. Its evening out......but you gotta be prepared. You can't expect to have gorgeous hair after so long a period of shampooing. It TAKES TIME! But sooo worth it

mamamoo.....can you use some tea tree oil to help? Your scalp WILL even out soon, I promise Make sure you're getting enough EFA's in your diet too (essential fatty acids). We use the Carlson's brand lemon-flavored cod-liver oil. The kids get it in their smoothies and don't even know it. They'll take it straight too. Gotta run...its 62 degrees here in Seattle.....lovely!

Lisa
#141 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 08:48 PM

Right now! I've got my acv ready and I'm off to the shower!

Wish me luck!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#142 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 08:54 PM

calimommie and scheelimama, welcome!

Take a look at akirasmama's posts on page 6. She did a good summary of what everyone has suggested.

There are so many suggestions because everyone's hair is different and so is everyone's water. Makes a difference to how things will work for you. You just have to keep trying different things.

In quick summary, most mamas are doing:

1. Baking soda (BS) wash
2. Vinegar rinse

every 2-4 days.

Try this to start...mix 4 tbsp BS with a bit of HOT water. It should fizz up like alka seltzer. Either apply to dry hair at roots before getting in shower or apply to wet hair in shower. The longer you leave it in the more grease/oil it removes.

Rinse out with plain water. Then pour a mix of vinegar and warm water (anywhere from 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar down to a 2 cup measure of water with just a slurp of vinegar) over your head. Most mamas are using apple cider vinegar, but lemon juice or malt vinegar have also been suggested.

Rinse again with warm water.

That's it.
#143 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 08:59 PM

tanibani, egg is an alkaline just as is BS, so it makes sense that it would dry your hair somewhat. It's not as strong an alkaline as BS so it shouldn't dry it as much.

I hope that's right. I'm still trying to understand the chemistry of all this.
#144 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

IslandMommy....bit OT...but how'd you do with the VS-C (virus stuff). Did your plane trip go okay????

I am not a very chemistry-savvy person myself.....so, I can't explain that part of it. Know basic stuff....but you're right...everyone's hair is different, not to mention the different water compositions.....experimentation is the key, I think.
#145 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 09:20 PM

spyiispy...are you confusing me with Islandmama...or have I gone on a plane trip I've somehow forgotten? Wouldn't surprise me these days.:
#146 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 10:25 PM

I'm on day 8. I almost caved today, but I didn't.

I've done three BS/ACV treatments so far. My hair feels a little heavier, not so fluffy, but not dirty. Just different.

My DH hasn't noticed anything different or strange about my hair and I haven't told him what I'm doing. He has, however, asked me why there are coffee mugs in the shower - that's what I've been putting the rinses in. :LOL I told him I was using them for cleaning.
#147 of 435 Old 02-12-2004, 10:46 PM

I've gone from every day, to every other day to twice a week with the "poo"

But the BS and ACV sounds AWESOME!

I didn't read all eight pages but do you ever itch? Do you get past it? I always break down and wash my hair (with 'poo) when my scalp starts iching (no flakes though)
#148 of 435 Old 02-13-2004, 12:08 AM

T spyiispy-cellulite is a sign of a sluggish liver! get to cleansing your liver now woman! Good place to start is carrot, beet, parsley juice or grate the veggies in a salad. Also milk thistle seed.

My hair is fine and thick-it is responding well to the bs wash and vinegar rinse! I'm loving this!
gotta go babe wakes
#149 of 435 Old 02-13-2004, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyiispy
Gotta run...its 62 degrees here in Seattle.....lovely!

Lisa
Oooooh! Now that was mean! It's a balmy 23 degrees here.
#150 of 435 Old 02-13-2004, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Myrhh....thanks for that info. No doubt my liver is sluggish. I could use a good cleanse...but I'm still nursing. I just may do that, though....I know some gentle liver cleanses. So, you're an herbalist? My mom is too....has been for ages...way before it was cool. Its a field I'll always be involved in...just need to get some classes (someday, Bastyr U).

kate! Noooo, don't give up! LOL You can do this, mama. It just takes some patience and perserverence. It took more than 8 days to get your hair to its condition, using shampoo....its gonna take more days to get it back to healthy & shiny. Hang in there!

Myboysmom.....itching is normal. You can use tea tree oil to combat this....but it doesn't last very long.

Welcome cali & scheeli's mamas......this has become much much BIGGER than I had ever imagined. So glad you've joined us. There's a lot of wisdom here...take advantage of it.

Lisa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page