Recipe for Homemade Vicks Rub - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Mamas!

A couple of years ago I got a fabulous recipe for a homemade vicks vapor rub from here. When someone came down with a cold in our family I would put it on their feet or on their chest. I loved it! Well, I recently moved and the rub spilled on the move. I can't find the recipe anywhere! It was a mixture of olive oil, clary sage, peppermint, eucalyptus and I can't remember if there were other EOs and I don't remember the amounts. If anyone has a recipe for this please share! We've got a cold making it's rounds in our home and I'd love to have some of this on hand! TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 AM

bump...

I'd like to find a recipe for this as well.
#3 of 6 Old 09-25-2009, 10:54 PM

Googled and found this recipe I'm going to try this year.

2c. olive oil (yes this is a volume measure rather than weight, sorry!!)
1.5 oz. beeswax
1 oz. Eucalyptus EO*
.25oz Peppermint EO*
.25oz. Rosemary EO*

*Honestly these are approximates. I used a shot-glass style measuring glass to "measure" so while it said "1 oz." on the glass, I can't be sure it weighed 1oz. if that makes sense.

Heat the olive oil and beeswax until the beeswax melts. Stir well and allow to cool down to where the oil isn't beginning to solidify, but it's not too hot to the touch. Add your EOs and stir well to combine. The vapor smell will be fairly overpowering if you're not a vapor rub fan, lol. Pour into containers and allow to solidify.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 PM

I make my own version, but I just mix the EOs into a carrier oil at the time it is needed. Takes a few seconds and rancidity is a nonissue.

I use a palm full of carrier oil (usually sweet almond oil and it equals about a tablespoon) and add one drop each of eucalytpus radiata, peppermint, and lavender essential oils. Rub on chest and feet and back. It is usually enough to coat our DD and myself, although my coating will be less thick (which I prefer anyway).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 6 Old 09-26-2009, 02:35 PM

I just made some the other day - I like to mix up everything I make in small batches & don't use exact recipes, so here's my guesstamates

Combine in a 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jar:

1/8 c Olive Oil
1/8 Tbsp Mango Butter (or any semi-soft or hard butter) - this is probably optional
1 Tbsp Beeswax, chopped

Microwave 1m, stir & repeat in 30 sec intervals until beeswax is completely melted.

Blend in:

1/2 Tbsp Vit E
20 drops Eucalyptus Oil
10 drops Peppermint Oil
10 drops Sweet Orange Oil
10 drops Lavander Oil
10 drops Tea Tree Oil

You could do any combination/ratio you want, really. As long as it has oil & beeswax it's going to stay together. I make my products by smell & preference

It cools into a nice semi-soft salve which stays put a lot better than an oil. I put it in my nostrils

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#6 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 AM

http://www.cookingtf.com/2011/09/16/homemade-vapor-rub/

Could this be the recipe you are looking for?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page