Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
#62 of 132 Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM

I have a lot of liquid Dr Bronners soap. Can I use this to make laundry detergent? Any recipes? Also, we'll be getting a front loader...so the recipe'd need to be compatabe w/ HE washers.
#63 of 132 Old 06-22-2007, 12:33 PM

I have been using the Maggie's Soap Nuts they reviewed in the June issue for my clothes. Has anyone tried making liquid soap or shampoo out of them? They have done a great job of making my clothes clean and soft, I was wondering what they could do for my body?
#64 of 132 Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
I have a lot of liquid Dr Bronners soap. Can I use this to make laundry detergent? Any recipes? Also, we'll be getting a front loader...so the recipe'd need to be compatabe w/ HE washers.
Oh. Until you mentioned the HE machine, I'd've just said you don't need a recipe, just use the Dr. Bronner's as liquid detergent. But the HE machine changes everything, it'd whip the soap into shaving foam!

What you'd need is a way to de-suds soap without de-deterging it, and that's asking a lot. Soap just foams strongly at detergent concentrations, and although I can think of things you could add to mitigate the foam somewhat while retaining or even enhancing detergency, they'd hardly be worth it. Better to just start over without the soap. Maybe you can use up the Dr. Bronner's in the old machine (even an old front loader) before the HE one arrives.

Robert
#65 of 132 Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 AM

Hi everyone! I'm very new to this discussion board but it is exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks for all of the great information!

Anyway, I just started doing the no-poo using baking soda and honey for washing and apple cider vinegar for rinsing. I have to tell you guys, my hair is naturally curly and veeery dry and tangly. After doing the above and rinsing with cold water, my hair looks AMAZING and soft and not so tangly! I was able to brush through the tangles in half the time! Thanks for all of the great tips!
#66 of 132 Old 07-09-2007, 01:16 AM

Sorry I forgot I do have a few questions. Will this^^ method work when your hair is really dirty? Like say after a day in the ocean or the lake or when something gross gets spilt in your hair?? Also I use flax seed gel as a hair gel and it spoils after a while. Would the no-poo method be able to get this out too? I wouldn't want my hair to smell!!
#67 of 132 Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensitive View Post
Sorry I forgot I do have a few questions. Will this^^ method work when your hair is really dirty? Like say after a day in the ocean or the lake or when something gross gets spilt in your hair??
What's your hair picking up in the ocean or lake that's comparable to something gross spilt on your hair? Is it an oil-slicked body of water?!
#68 of 132 Old 07-11-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecarma View Post
Washing Soda - Sodium Carbonate
Baking Soda - Sodium BiCarnonate

Washing soda is a little more caustic and caution should be used - do not use when washing delicates. Baking Soda is better for delicates.

Lots of Natural and Organic Recipes I've come across have Borax in them but I'm always amazed at this based on how toxic it is. (They use it to kill Roaches for goodness sakes!) I really don't see how using this could be good. Read the toxicity section.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax
What can we use in place of Borax? I make my own detergent with the 1 3/4c Washing Soda, 1 3/4 c Borax, and 1 bar of Pure & Natural soap or Ivory (depending on what I have on hand). I also use Sun Oxygen cleaner to keep things bright.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#69 of 132 Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What's your hair picking up in the ocean or lake that's comparable to something gross spilt on your hair? Is it an oil-slicked body of water?!
Well sometimes our beaches are closed for raw sewage spills. Does that count?
#70 of 132 Old 07-13-2007, 08:29 AM

I would really appreciate it if anyone knows the answer to my earlier question about the ACV/BS no-poo method being able to clean very dirty hair. Also I would like to know If anyone has found a way to counteract the ACV smell. I have noticed that the smell dissipates as my hair dries but I have very thick hair and it takes hours to dry totally. I usually have to got to work with semi wet hair and the smell still lingers. Is this a problem for anybody else? Has anyone come up with a solution?

I'm so glad I found this site, It is so informative!!
#71 of 132 Old 07-14-2007, 12:26 PM

this is my new favorite thread! i love this stuff.
had a question about "no-poo balls" (god that sounds bad! )

"A No Poo Recipe
I just wanted to share this since its working great for me.
I make no-poo balls, its a lot easier than mixing everything together in the shower.
I just mix together BS, water, honey, and EO's roll it into about 1/2"- 1" balls and let them dry for a few days. I keep a dish of them on my bathroom counter and just bring one into the shower, cup it in my hand, let some water mist over it and work it into my hair. "

anybody have a starting point for how much of each of these ingredients to use? i know its different for each hair type, but i have no idea where to even start with ratios here.
thanks for any thoughts!
#72 of 132 Old 07-14-2007, 12:28 PM

:
#73 of 132 Old 07-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellymama View Post
this is my new favorite thread! i love this stuff.
had a question about "no-poo balls" (god that sounds bad! )

"A No Poo Recipe
I just wanted to share this since its working great for me.
I make no-poo balls, its a lot easier than mixing everything together in the shower.
I just mix together BS, water, honey, and EO's roll it into about 1/2"- 1" balls and let them dry for a few days. I keep a dish of them on my bathroom counter and just bring one into the shower, cup it in my hand, let some water mist over it and work it into my hair. "

anybody have a starting point for how much of each of these ingredients to use? i know its different for each hair type, but i have no idea where to even start with ratios here.
thanks for any thoughts!
yeah I've been wanting to make, um, no-poo balls too. (Aren't no-poo balls what you find in your baby's diaper if she gets constipated?)

Anyway, any idea for ratios?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#74 of 132 Old 07-14-2007, 05:40 PM

what exactly is castile soap? i see at the store, but exactly what is it?
#75 of 132 Old 07-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well sometimes our beaches are closed for raw sewage spills. Does that count?
I would think that any time you thought your hair would pick up that kind of stuff, that you would avoid swimming in it even if it was open! I'd be a lot more concerned with its getting in my nose or mouth than in my hair.

So are you asking about an "emergency" situation in which you were already swimming when the contamination was discovered? And yet wanted to know if you could avoid soap? (Just trying to figure out your priorities!)

Robert
#76 of 132 Old 07-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellymama View Post
what exactly is castile soap? i see at the store, but exactly what is it?
Originally, olive oil soap (olivate). Now it could be any soap.
#77 of 132 Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I would think that any time you thought your hair would pick up that kind of stuff, that you would avoid swimming in it even if it was open! I'd be a lot more concerned with its getting in my nose or mouth than in my hair.

So are you asking about an "emergency" situation in which you were already swimming when the contamination was discovered? And yet wanted to know if you could avoid soap? (Just trying to figure out your priorities!)

Robert
Thanks for the concern Robert!
No I don't swim in the ocean when it's contaminated.
I was just using that as an example of dirty hair. I still don't know the answer to my question.
I guess what I really want to know is how well does the BS/ACV no-poo method actually clean hair? Would you need to keep shampoo around for when your hair is REALLY dirty?
Maybe I should explain that my reason for being interested in going no-poo is my being allergic to many of the chemicals in regular shampoo. Because of this it is really hard for me to find a shampoo that my skin doesn't react to. So if I can stop looking for a shampoo through trial and error and give my skin a rest, I would really like to do that.
#78 of 132 Old 07-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess what I really want to know is how well does the BS/ACV no-poo method actually clean hair?
I'm sure there are hydrophobic materials that you could get on your hair that alternating base & acid (baking soda & vinegar) would not budge.

Quote:
Maybe I should explain that my reason for being interested in going no-poo is my being allergic to many of the chemicals in regular shampoo. Because of this it is really hard for me to find a shampoo that my skin doesn't react to.
What do you use to wash the rest of your skin? Why not do your hair with that?

Robert
#79 of 132 Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It was asked earlier in this thread, but I don't think anyone answered...Does anyone have any suggestions for dishwashing soap for hand washing? I don't have a dishwasher. Would Dr. Bronner's work? Any good recipes? Thanks!
#80 of 132 Old 07-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
It was asked earlier in this thread, but I don't think anyone answered...Does anyone have any suggestions for dishwashing soap for hand washing? I don't have a dishwasher. Would Dr. Bronner's work?
Of course it works, it's soap, ain't it? This is not complicated. It's machine dishwashing that's tricky; don't try soap for that!
#81 of 132 Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course it works, it's soap, ain't it? This is not complicated. It's machine dishwashing that's tricky; don't try soap for that!
Thanks!
#82 of 132 Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 AM

"hydrophobic" Is that a fancy word for oily substances?

I am really interested to know because I do oil scalp and hair treatments.
#83 of 132 Old 08-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
"hydrophobic" Is that a fancy word for oily substances?
Yes.
#84 of 132 Old 08-04-2007, 04:21 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#85 of 132 Old 08-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Banned

Come to think of it, there are a few substances like talc that don't wet easily, yet aren't oily. And there are high molecular weight substances like polyethylene that you might not think of as "oily", but are hydrophobic. Aside from those exceptions, hydrophobic substances are oily.

Robert
#86 of 132 Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I would really appreciate it if anyone knows the answer to my earlier question about the ACV/BS no-poo method being able to clean very dirty hair. Also I would like to know If anyone has found a way to counteract the ACV smell. I have noticed that the smell dissipates as my hair dries but I have very thick hair and it takes hours to dry totally. I usually have to got to work with semi wet hair and the smell still lingers. Is this a problem for anybody else? Has anyone come up with a solution?

I'm so glad I found this site, It is so informative!!

I've been going no poo for almost 2 weeks. So, not as long as some of the people on this board. I put 2-3 drops of lavender EO in my ACV rinse and it makes my hair smell great. My ratio is 1/2 cup ACV or white vinegar in a 20 oz. jar, fill the rest of the way with water, add a couple drops of the EO.

I see that some people are putting honey on with the BS. I've been adding it to my ACV rinse, about a tablespoon to the mixture. How much honey are you adding to the BS? How does it work adding it to the BS? I've got all sorts of questions and I'm so happy to find this thread! I posted about wanting to do this on another board, and they all thought I was crazy!!

I am still in the transition phase, so some days my hair looks great, other days not so great. Since I started adding honey to the ACV rinse, I haven't had to add silicone serum to my hair and it hasn't been super dry, like it was the first week. My scalp has been kind of itchy, flaky and a little greasy this week. Does anyone have any advice on that?

Thanks!!

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#87 of 132 Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 AM

For those who say they wash their hair once a week using things mentioned in this post: Do you rinse with water inbetween the washings? Sorry I'm new to this and can't imagine what my hair would look like after a week of no scrubbing with shampoo.:
#88 of 132 Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&D2005 View Post
For those who say they wash their hair once a week using things mentioned in this post: Do you rinse with water inbetween the washings? Sorry I'm new to this and can't imagine what my hair would look like after a week of no scrubbing with shampoo.:
:

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#89 of 132 Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM

I have to say that the longer I am no 'pooing, the longer I am taking between washings. I couldn't imagine not washing at least every other day, but my hair just looks good for DAYS after washing, now. I woke up this morning and barely had to run my fingers through my hair and it looked just as good as yesterday. I don't suppose it would hurt anything to rinse your hair or wet it down, though. I do wash down the rest of my body with a cloth or a quick rinse in the shower, without "washing" my hair. I'd say I'm up to 4-5 days between washings, for the most part, but sometimes it's still every other day.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#90 of 132 Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 AM

For those who no poo hair...

I have wonderful curly hair. Soft, no frizz, not kinky, but pretty curls. I've been no pooing with conditioner only.... Now I want to go to a natural way. Any ideas?

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

Tags
Recipes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page