Shampoo alternatives besides no-poo? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
Ruth, by no-poo I mean baking soda. It just seems like a pita, rather than having something which can sit in the shower, and I don't have to worry about getting the container of baking soda wet and all. I'm definitely looking to use something besides water. (though admitedly, thats pretty much what I've been doing. I'd say we've been functionally out of anything but a drop or two of shampoo for months and I haven't noticed).

Interesting. I definitely condition more than I shampoo (which is almost never). I feel that conditioners are healthier than shampoos, even natural ones, with coconut based detergents.

I think I'll go ahead and give real soap a try for the occasional wash. Thanks.
On one of the blogs I read (can't remember which one) she mixes 1 part baking soda to 5 parts water in a spray bottle and let's it sit 2 weeks before using (then makes another) and that's what she uses on her hair. So no dealing with the baking soda box every time you wash your hair.

I don't use shampoo, I just use conditioner every couple of weeks.

I don't use anything for the kids and their hair is lovely.
#32 of 34 Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 PM

I just posted this on another thread but think it is relevant here as well

My husband and I have been using J.R. Liggett's bar shampoo for a few years now and we are in love!
This is from the website:
Why to use our products:
It's made entirely from pure 100% natural oils.
It contains NO animal products, or preservatives.
It doesn't strip hair of its natural oils.
It makes a luxuriously thick lather.
It rinses out clean and easily.
It's especially good for permed or colored hair.
It gives your hair body, and manageability.
It leaves your hair soft, healthy and smelling clean.
It's great for TRAVELING, OR BACKPACKING.
100% Biodegradable with minimal packaging.
No Petroleum Based Detergents.
No Sodium Laurel Sulfate or DEA.

The best thing is that it does not strip your hair and you don't need conditioner. It isn't cheap but if you buy from herbspro.com you can get a bulk discount. We bought 12 bars and just put the extras in the freezer until we were ready to use. I can't say enough about this shampoo!
#33 of 34 Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
I did try CO washing... worked OK, but required 15 minutes of full blast rinsing in the shower to get clean, not exactly earth or budget friendly. I switched to sulfate free shampoos two years ago, and that has helped with the hair loss I used to experience, but I still need that coco betaine to cut the grease!

Soooo... it is going to take some glowing testimonials indeed for me to make the leap of faith and stop using a sudsy, sebum busting shampoo.
I did COwashing for 3 weeks and then did an vinegar rinse and my hair got instantly greasy...couldn't get it to 'wash out' so I shampooed and, again, instantly my hair started falling out, breaking horribly! I have yet to find a way to get it to work for me, but at least my hair wasn't falling out in clumps when I was COwashing only...
#34 of 34 Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM

I use Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars on my (thin, fine, straight white-girl as my DSD would call it) hair. The woman from CVS recommends for dry hair to try her regular soaps since they are superfatted. For the girls (biracial black/white and black/mexican, thicker, dryer and faarrrr curlier than mine) I usually shampoo their hair once every few weeks, with conditioner only washes 1-2 a week in between.

signature currently in transition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page