Remedies for acne (and Ok during nursing/pregnancy) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-21-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have been using an OTC lotion with benzoyl peroxide it in since having my dd. I recently ran out and decided not to buy more since we're going to be ttc next month and there are mixed opinions on whether or not BP is safe during pregnancy. Well, my face broke out HORRIBLY. I always have acne but my whole face erupted with little pimples everywhere and then several big, swollen, cystic acne. I tried using a mask of honey (which helped during my last pregnancy) but that wasn't helping so I went back on the BP so that I could at least have one month month of better skin. But now I'm dreading what my face will do when I become pregnant so I'd love to find something that will help. In terms of my history, I have had acne for the past 20 years and nothing has ever made it go completely away. Different meds have helped, with the retinoids helping the most, but I still have had it, so I'd say my acne is pretty severe. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
#2 of 7 Old 12-22-2009, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perhaps look here: www.pureandsimple.ca

I would start by clicking on Knowledge on the bottom left and then read on! Good luck!

Heidi, mama to DD Abigail (Sept 2007), wife to amazing DH Gavin, BFing, Babywearing, Bed Sharing, loving every minute!

#3 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 01:13 PM

I recently posted about my sudden, horrible skin (was always bad, just not THIS bad), and someone suggested the book "The Clear Skin Diet. I found out that my main problem was the milk i was putting in my coffee every morning, and i also have a bit of a sensitivity to sugar. My skin is now looking better than it has since last spring.

It's basically about avoiding dairy and "white products" (white flour, sugar--anything that can cause your insulin levels to spike). I don't avoid either altogether, but i'm more conscious about those foods and limit them, and it seems to be working. Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 12-27-2009, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
what are you using on your face otherwise? makeup? face wash? lotion? Could it be that your skin is sensitive to something in it? I hate to trivialize your suffering, which I know is probably severe, but I swear to you that honey and coconut oil work. I had read so many people saying such wonderful things abotu them but put them off thinking that sugar and oil would clog my pores and make it worse. I would break out in big cystic acne bumps and be flaking with dry skin on my forehead at the same time for MONTHS at a time before doing this. Finally with 9 pimples and countless blackheads I decided that it couldn't get any worse and i tried washing with honey and moisturizing with coconut oil. I swear to you that I felt like my skin was softer and smoother right that very day. Within a week there were no new pimples. Within 2 weeks my skin was completely clear for the first time in my life. It's been 2 years now and I only break out right around my period and it's maybe one or two and that's it. I am really careful abotu touching my face and wash my hands often. I always shield my face from hair products and only use mineral makeup and sparingly at that. Most days i wear only lip gloss and mascara because my face is clear and there's no point to anything else. I wash my hands after using hair products or putting other lotions on my kids. And I use only coconut oil on my face and body. I'd like to tell you I follow some special diet but I'm like most people and fall prey to cravings and laziness. I try to eat healthy but I do indulge in candy or soda when I want, along iwth the occasional slice of pizza. I work out and maintain a healthy weight but that's it. For me at least, it really came down to not figuring out for 26years that i have really sensitive skin that was crying out to be released from chemicals. My sensitive skin does not like makeup and lotion and chemical face wash. When it comes to my face I follow the rule: if it's good enough to put inside my body and eat, it's good enough for the outside of my body.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#5 of 7 Old 12-29-2009, 04:24 PM

This is what worked for me:

Twice a day, I clean my face using a Clarisonic brush. I use Kiss My Face olive oil bar soap with the clarisonic brush.

To moisturize, I use pure aloe vera gel. I use a little bit of coconut oil around my eyes, and on dry areas.

Make up - Bare Essentials. I make sure to clean the brushes weekly.
#6 of 7 Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 PM

I just recently bought a skin brush as well (not Clarisonic, but a Pretika from Target) and I can't say enough good things about it! Why it works so well I'm not sure, but it has totally cleared up my skin. Now if I get a blemish it's totally dried up in 24 hours.
#7 of 7 Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
eliminate the most common allergens.. also if you cut a tomatoe in half, and rub that on your skin, it like a miracle cream also washing your face with pure honey helps,

Tomatoe recipe:

Tomatoes contain lycopene which helps to fend off pimples. Lycopene is found in red fruits like tomatoes and watermelon They are natural antioxidants for our bodies. It helps by reducing inflammation that tend to clog up your pores and cause pimples in the first place.

Step 2You can either consume tomatoes or do a ace mask using tomatoes. I prefer to do both since I love tomatoes, yet not everyone is a fan of this fruit.

Step 3TOMATO MASK -

Place thin tomato slices over your entire face.
Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes.
Now with another tomato, cut it in half and rub the smooth side of both the halves in small circular motions across your entire face.
Rise with warm water.
Pat dry.

Step 4Tomatoes work great because they de-clog your pores and are a natural astringent.

Step 5There are also tomato based masks you can buy at the store.

Honey recipe:
#1 Home Remedy for treatment of acne - Mix together 1/2 tablespoon of honey, 2 sprinkles of salt and oregano leaves, a capful of vinegar, and 1/2 finger of toothpaste. Put all this into a bowl and mix together for about 1 minute.

Wash your face first with warm water. Next, rub in the face wash for about 2 minutes. Be really gentle, you don't want to irritate the skin. Leave it on to dry for about thirty minutes.

Next rinse it off with warm water and pat dry. Wait 10 minutes then rub toothpaste on the affected areas of acne and let it dry. Toothpaste takes a long time to dry so applying this before bed is a good idea. The next morning wash off the hardened toothpaste.

It will take 5-7 days to clear your face of all acne

Garlic:
Acne treatment using Fresh Garlic - Rub fresh garlic on and around acne and pimples. Do this regularly and you will see your acne and pimples disappear without leaving a mark. You can also puree your garlic and leave in a jar for later use.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page