Tribe for Hairy Mamas in 2010 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 195 Old 07-29-2010, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aw thanks mamas. I was needing some love.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 195 Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You're welcome!

On the hairy side, I recieved a shocked/dirty look about my leg hair yesterday. I had my favourite wrap skirt on, so my lower legs were mostly in view, and this man checked me out from top to bottom and when he got to the bottom, a look of disgust crossed his face, and then he looked me right in the eyeballs with the same look! Thanks buddy, I didn't actually want you checking me out in the first place. Ugh. Then his wife caught him staring and elbowed him. Ahhh, sweet revenge. lol

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
#123 of 195 Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM

lol I would have winked and said "yep, that hairiness goes all the way up, baby"

#124 of 195 Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
lol I would have winked and said "yep, that hairiness goes all the way up, baby"
Love that!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#125 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 AM

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
#126 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 AM

mg! you have been missed!

#127 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 AM

i seriously doubt that, but thank you love.
I am happy to report that I am as hairy as ever.

and I am out in public frequently wearing my tanks (or bikinis ) freely and don't give a what everyone thinks despite the small conservative midwestern town i live in.

#128 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 AM

the way I heard it you've been out in public wearing only body paint on your gorgeous hairy self

#129 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Well i WAS wearing only body paint, but the sweltering heat and subsequent rain kind of left me, uh, well, you get the idea.

#130 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 10:01 AM

my mind wanders...

#131 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi peeps!

I've long since given up on worrying about what anybody else thinks of my body hair, but not much of my body hair is visible in public anyway due to religious modesty: my arms are always covered past the elbows and my legs past the knees, so the only body hair that shows is on my lower legs. I'm also single, so I didn't need to worry about what my husband or partner thought about my body hair.

The only person who's ever actually mentioned my body hair to me was my mother- at the pool she looked at me and said something like "looks like you need to shave" and I was like "I haven't shaved in years." She did the same thing twice, a year or two in between! If anybody else has noticed, they've kept their mouths shut.

For that wedding, I'd suggest textured pantyhose or dark tights- sometimes leg hair is still visible under solid black pantyhose. It might even be worth it to shave or wax just for the wedding- see how much the leg hair shows under hosery with the dress, what your relationship with SIL is like, etc. Will she be mad at you for years because of something so petty? Is she otherwise a nice person and worth having in your life? I'm guessing that it's too late to back out of the wedding party and just go as a guest instead, so you can wear what you want?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#132 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
For that wedding, I'd suggest textured pantyhose or dark tights- sometimes leg hair is still visible under solid black pantyhose. It might even be worth it to shave or wax just for the wedding- see how much the leg hair shows under hosery with the dress, what your relationship with SIL is like, etc. Will she be mad at you for years because of something so petty? Is she otherwise a nice person and worth having in your life? I'm guessing that it's too late to back out of the wedding party and just go as a guest instead, so you can wear what you want?
You know, SIL is one who really wouldn't care - it's her friends and df's family that'd be more likely to make rude comments and all that (based on my and dh's minimal interactions with them and it would likely be aside/after the fact stuff that might never even get back to me - I'm just pretty positive it will happen unless they're so distracted they don't notice).
I kinda don't care, but it's all pretty anxiety producing in general with having our young kids and other issues with their wedding that have been coming up. I don't mind something minimally visible, I think, like pantyhose would be but I haven't picked any up yet so I don't know how it'll really be. . . and I totally didn't think about this until recently. I don't know whether I'd really need to ask her if it's okay if I do hose anyway (like would someone really insist I took them off?) and I'm pretty sure noone else would have them. Gah, just something new to worry about.
#133 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM

ruthla!!! haven't seen you in ages! how's things?

mumkimum, don't stress it.

#134 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Things are fine, just busy. MDC tends to be a time-sucker so I try not to get on here too often, leaving me more time to spend with my kids. Right now DD1 and DD2 are on a weekend trip with the youth group that meets once a week during the year. They left Wednesday night and are coming home tomorrow morning. DS and I are having a "veg out day".

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#135 of 195 Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM

sounds cool. and yeah, I totally get the time-sucking thing. but I still come in for a couple of threads.

#136 of 195 Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Oh can I join this thread??? Pretty please??? Even if I'm very late coming aboard???

I've been super hairy for many years, but for the first couple of years I was a bit self-conscious about it in public -- I never wore tank tops, and always wore ankle-length skirts or pants. I still remember the very moment I decided to be really comfortable with it: I was at a festival and I got to know a woman who was there with her family, she was probably a few years older than me. And she was the most beautiful woman I think I've ever seen, hairy everything and all. I was so envious of how graceful and comfortable she seemed to be in her own skin, just completely at home in her body, and so unbelievably beautiful. And I thought, "what am I hiding my hair for? I could be comfortable in my skin like that too!" That same summer, I threw away all my cap-sleeved too-hot summer shirts and my too-long skirts, and I've been free and hairy ever since.

My DH actually doesn't like my leg hair very much, but he had the good sense to wait until we were married to tell me. I shave my legs occasionally to "treat" him. But mostly I'm still hairy. I haven't shaved my armpits since our wedding. I wasn't even going to do that, but my mother insisted, and frankly, I was fighting enough battles with my mother about my wedding that I found it didn't matter all that much. It grew back, so I can stop hiding my awful stubble and show off my pretty pit hair again.

As far as shaving for a wedding... I did shave for my brother's wedding, it was the first time in years, and I did it b/c my SIL-to-be was horrified by my body hair. I was a bit irritated that it was that big of a deal for them, but I gave in. I figured I loved them enough to do lots of things that were more distasteful than shaving for a day, KWIM?

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#137 of 195 Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 PM

welcome!

#138 of 195 Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
welcome!

Alway nice to see other hairy mamas out there, the more the merrier.
Hey Ruthla! I was just talking about you a week ago or something to my kid. He was asking me if I had more post on MDC than anyone else.

Anywho, I went to pool last month and this little girl kept chatting with me, and grabbing my feet that were in the water whilst I parked my poolside. She popped out of the water and exclaimed, "YOU HAVE HAIR LIKE A MAN! You need to shave!" I told her I have hair like a woman, and no I don't need to shave, or I choose not to, or something like that. It was hilarious. I will say that that was the last time that day she bugged me.

#139 of 195 Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Welcome to the group...

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#140 of 195 Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 AM

I can't believe I have found this thread. I long to be a purposely hairy mama. I currently don't shave often (maybe once a week) and even then it's below the knee and the face gets shaved every day. I have PCOS so I have hirsutism and I have hair all over the place. Back, tummy, breasts, etc. I hate shaving as I always bleed and then get ingrown hairs. I am terrified of being hairy in public so that is something I need to work on. I truly despise the fact that women's razors cost so dang much. I love the Intuition brand but come on over $10 for 3 measly razor heads? UGH!

So, my goal for the rest of the year is to not shave anything but my face. I wonder how it will turn out. Please send me bravery!

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#141 of 195 Old 08-16-2010, 06:02 AM

*bravery*

#142 of 195 Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Lilypie!

Would waxing your face be a realistic option, or is your facial hair too thick to easily remove with wax? That eliminates the risks of cutting yourself, and it looks more natural (not stubbly) when it grows in.

#143 of 195 Old 08-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Welcome Lilypie!

Would waxing your face be a realistic option, or is your facial hair too thick to easily remove with wax? That eliminates the risks of cutting yourself, and it looks more natural (not stubbly) when it grows in.
Ouch!!!

Welcome lilypie!
<-----the sending of bravery your way

I'm glad you found us.

#144 of 195 Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Welcome welcome, Lilypie! I had a close friend in college who had hirsutism and she was always super-anxious about her body and facial hair. It was very hard for her... and I remember having lots of conversations about it then. We spent a lot of time commiserating -- I have a fair amount of facial hair, too.

For loads of years I had determined to be proud of my facial hair and refuse to remove it, in part because I didn't want to have the perpetual anxiety about shaving and waxing that my friend had. I was determined to come to terms with it, no matter how long it took. Then, finally, just a couple of years ago, I decided on a lark to try waxing it. I love it. For whatever reason, I was always self-conscious about my mustache in a way that I'm totally not self-conscious about my pit/leg hair. So now it's the only hair removal that I do. And I don't feel anxious about it anymore -- and I don't get nervous when children stare and point, waiting for the inevitable giggle, "you have a mustache!!!" Somehow, I never could come to terms with it. So, all of that is to say, Lilypie, join the club of those of us who are deliberately hairy... except for our faces.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#145 of 195 Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post
So, all of that is to say, Lilypie, join the club of those of us who are deliberately hairy... except for our faces.

I have a mustache too, and I HATE it. Resorted to chemical depilation, which I also hate, but not as much. Sometimes I tweeze some of them. Sigh.

A friend of mine has the same thing as you and she shaves daily. Or she did. I haven't talked with her about it since I moved away, but she was under going laser hair removal which was effective, just was taking forever.

#146 of 195 Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasgroovin View Post
Anywho, I went to pool last month and this little girl kept chatting with me, and grabbing my feet that were in the water whilst I parked my poolside. She popped out of the water and exclaimed, "YOU HAVE HAIR LIKE A MAN! You need to shave!" I told her I have hair like a woman, and no I don't need to shave, or I choose not to, or something like that. It was hilarious. I will say that that was the last time that day she bugged me.
Kids will inevitably point out things they're not used to, or things they just suddenly notice, hey? A friend of mine was bending down to get something from a lower shelf in a busy grocery store, and her little daughter exclaimed "Mama, you have a BIG HEINY!"

Lilypie32, bravery your way!! As for hair removal on the face, it's the only kind my DP does right now as well. She has this battery-powered tweezing thinger. It gives me the willies though. She's thinking of getting laser hair removal on her chin... apparently it only feels like a sunburn for a couple days and that's it.

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
#147 of 195 Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 AM

Hello All! I am new to this forum and SO happy that I stumbled upon (today of all days (more on that later.)

A quick intro, I am a Minnesota mama with 2 children and a husband. I haven't shaved my arm pits or my pubic area for 4 years. I have shaved my legs about 4 times this summer and I do not shave fall-spring, however I have decided that I am going to stop shaving my legs all togeter starting about 4 weeks ago. I do tweeze my eyes brows some but it is mostly just to keep them "clean" I do not shape them or anything to drastic.

So, if I could segway into a insident that happend earlier today (x-posted in the main forum)

I recently started a new job and today was my 3rd day, it is at coffe shop and roastery. My (male) boss pretty much draged me away (politley) from the rush that we were having and brought me to the back room and said "I don't know if you are aware of this or not but you have a body odor." I was so taken aback, it had never occured to me that I had "body odor," even though I am keenly aware that I DO have a natural body smell, kwim? Nobody has ever said anything about my smell (other then compliments) before.

I do not wear deoderant, I think that it is gross and I have never liked it, plus I didn't think that I smelled foul.

He said that a couple of people complained! So, he sent me home and I was pretty embaressed

So here is what I think; I do have a body smell, it really isn't aweful but I think that people are so use to not smelling a normal body and they noticed mine and they thought that is was a sign of me being dirty or something.

Has anyone else ever experienced this before? Do you have your own smell that you don't try to overtly cover up? What would you do in this situation?

Thanks for the time.

Vanessa, human of many awesome and not so awesome qualities. ; married to my Scorpio
mama to Ayden 6 years and Gena born 9/16/09
#148 of 195 Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 AM

Hi Auroara Bobcat! Welcome to the tribe.
Wow, that was really harsh of your boss to send you home. How embarrassing. He couldn't have just asked you to wash up some right there at work and continued working?
I like a natural body odor too, but I do acknowledge that there are certainly times when my body odor (or that of others) is actually offensive. For instance, perhaps you were nervous, it being your third day of work and all. I find nervous sweat smells bad. Or it could just be that, even though normal body odor is not unpleasant, an assertive body odor and the strong smell of coffee roasting and freshly ground might combine to be kind of off-putting to the appetite.
I think chemical deodorant is awful, too, and I find the natural ones are expensive and don't really do much anyway. I have found that just a smear of coconut oil with a little baking soda rubbed on the pits after a shower does wonders with keeping bad smells away.
I hope it goes well for you!

Jen
#149 of 195 Old 08-22-2010, 12:30 PM

Thanks Jen. Yes, I think that him sending me home was the embarassing part. Any who I will work on natural was to smell less offensive to people
Glad I found this tribe.

Vanessa, human of many awesome and not so awesome qualities. ; married to my Scorpio
mama to Ayden 6 years and Gena born 9/16/09
#150 of 195 Old 08-22-2010, 10:55 PM

I spray diluted tea tree oil under my arms and I find that reduces odor a lot.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page