Tribe for Hairy Mamas in 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 195 Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Happy New Year!!!

You qualify as a "hairy mama" if you meet any of the following conditions: (parenthood is not required; "mama" here just means "woman")

1) You're a woman who doesn't remove any body hair whatsoever.
2) You're a woman who removes some body hair, but less than society expects.
3) You're a woman who only removes your body hair sometimes (such as only in the summer).

You're a "hairy mama lover" and are welcome to join us in this thread if:

1) You're a woman who's intrigued by the idea of "not shaving", even if you haven't (yet?) decided to stop removing your own body hair.
2) You're a man who's comfortable with the idea of "hairy mamas".
3) You're a person, of any gender or species, who's respectful of the idea of natural womanly body hair in adult human females.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#2 of 195 Old 01-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year!

So I have officially joined at this point because every time I shave right now I break out in hives and itch all night long, also I am having some odd rash/skin stuff and it was suggested that I don't shave for a while to see if that helps. I do pluck my eyebrows somewhat because I would seriously have a unibrow and more! haha. And I do keep my private area trimmed. Right now leg and pit hair are just starting to grow out. Poor DH, he doesn't know what to think about it!

~Jasmine - Hunka Hub 8/07 - Mini Man 6/08 ~ Blog in profile! ~ Supporting Mothering through the WAHMarket ~
#3 of 195 Old 01-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Yea for hairy mamas! I'm an on again off again hairy mama. I shave when I feel like not because I feel like I have to.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#4 of 195 Old 01-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Happy New Year hairy mammas!

I shave my legs below the knee (my preference), and keep everything else in it's hairy (but trimmed) glory. I have a serious obsession with my pit hair, I LOVE it!

Let's make it a good year! Peace~

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#5 of 195 Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Happy New year!!!!
fuzzy here. Pit hair and leg hair but yep i do wax my eyebrows because I too would have a unibrow otherwise. I also wax my lip and my chin otherwise well with hormones I would look like the warewolf (sp?) anyway that is how things are here. My hubby has no problem in the summer I do shave only if I break out in a bad heat rash. I try everything not to have to thought I even take scissors and trim the hair but last year I did have to shave my legs more then i wanted too because of heat rash(still not used to the humidity here in missouri) anyway welcome to all the new ladies that will be here or are here. I hope this year will find everyone feeling more and more natural and apreciative (again sp?) of their body.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#6 of 195 Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 PM

Well I shaved while we were visiting the in-laws in Florida during the holidays, but I really don't like doing it anymore. I had only quit shaving my legs for about 2 months before the visit, but I'm going to try it again. DH doesn't care about my legs, but he wants me to shave my armpits. I think I'll let both grow out and see if we get used to it. Shaving just seems so weird and unnatural to me now.

Oh and Happy New Year everyone!

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#7 of 195 Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm a partial shaver. I will shave my legs this week since I have a visit with the OB. I'm the summer I'll do the pits and below the knee. Never shave the bikini area.

PT dentist, FT mom to DS 5.5, DD 2.5 and DS 1/29/10
#8 of 195 Old 01-02-2010, 02:19 PM

I'm a "sometimes" mama. I haven't shaved my legs or pits since the end of summer. I figure nobody outside of my family or midwives is going to see it, so why should I? This is the first time I've ever had "long" armpit hair. It's so fascinating! My DH doesn't like it though. I'll be 36 weeks pregnant next week, and I'm going to start shaving again until after the baby is born, because I don't want to have to worry about hairy naked birth pictures.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#9 of 195 Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Checking in and subscribing to the new thread.

I'm a non-shaver/non-trimmer who just loves all that soft, downy hair - especially the underarm hair. Looking forward to reading this year's thread!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#10 of 195 Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 PM

Heh, I wish my leg hair was as soft and fluffy as my arm hair, but it's not. My lower leg hair is also quite sparse, but dark.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#11 of 195 Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM

lol, what a fun thread! When I got married my mom begged me to shave my pits and wear a bra Not that the two are dependant on the other. Can I just say that my hubby loves my pit hair, it cracks me up.
#12 of 195 Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Happy New Year!!!

You qualify as a "hairy mama" if you meet any of the following conditions: (parenthood is not required; "mama" here just means "woman")

1) You're a woman who doesn't remove any body hair whatsoever.
2) You're a woman who removes some body hair, but less than society expects.
3) You're a woman who only removes your body hair sometimes (such as only in the summer).

I've seen this thread from time to time and lurked a bit. I would say I definitely qualify as a "hairy mama". I do love to get the ole eyebrows cleaned up and only in the summer if the mood strikes me wax the legs & pits. So hello everyone!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#13 of 195 Old 01-03-2010, 06:03 PM

I haven't shaved in almost ten years. I stopped shaving around the time I met my husband. I suggested to him that I wanted to stop and he told me he had no problem with that, so I did it.
It took me a few years to truly get comfortable with being hairy. There were times when I was embarrassed to show off my legs of pits in public. Now I'm over that. I wear shorts and tank tops and don't really care who sees my hair.
#14 of 195 Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Subbing

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#15 of 195 Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Happy new year fellow hairy mamas!!

I have a question - I have not shaved my pits for over a year, and the skin underneath the hair is "angry"...it peels and is very much darker than the skin around it. Any ideas on what might cause that? I use Tom's deo maybe three times a week, and a natural, organic soap two-three times a week. Help my pits!
#16 of 195 Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 PM

So, just for fun I was wondering what it was that made each of you comfortable with being "hairy", mostly in public, and did it take time for your DH to get comfortable with it?

~Jasmine - Hunka Hub 8/07 - Mini Man 6/08 ~ Blog in profile! ~ Supporting Mothering through the WAHMarket ~
#17 of 195 Old 01-04-2010, 12:24 AM

So, it's only been a few weeks since I stopped shaving the underarms. I must admit, it is getting kind of uncomfortable. I have never since puberty gone more than a couple days without shaving, so this is so different! I'm excited to see how things end up... but a little uncomfortable! I'm determined to stick it out until I get used to it. I don't think it should take more than a few months.

The hubby doesn't say anything. I don't know what he thinks at this point.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#18 of 195 Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJazzy1 View Post
So, just for fun I was wondering what it was that made each of you comfortable with being "hairy", mostly in public, and did it take time for your DH to get comfortable with it?
I was in a hot tub several years ago. We were at a hotel, on a vacation, and I was relaxing in the hot tub with my arms stretched out beside me. There was a group of teenage girls nearby laughing hysterically. I had no idea what they were laughing at and I tried to ignore it, just let myself relax. After several minutes of constant laughter, I heard one of them say, "If my armpits were that hairy I would never go out in public." This was followed by more laughter, as I'm sure they were all aware she had said it loud enough for me to hear. I'm not sure if I was more embarrassed or angry, and I found myself holding in tears as I got out of the tub and walked red-faced back to my room. I told myself after that I had two choices, either shave or decide definitely that I wasn't going to care what other people thought about my hairiness.

But I'm not sure I could have done it without my DH's support. Weeks after I quit shaving he pulled me aside and told me that he actually liked it. Knowing that he didn't just tolerate it but actually liked it, made it easier.
Brendalee likes this.
#19 of 195 Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I'm still in the midst of "getting comfortable" with my decision. Its hard to overcome an idea so socially ingrained into a person and reinforced by everyone around you.

On the flipside - DH is fine with it most because I really had stopped shaving/waxing when pregnant with DS2, so the idea of it wasn't foreign to him as this is how I've been for a long time now. DH just wants me to be happy with me, my body, my image of me etc... as that's what he finds attractive.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#20 of 195 Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanythings View Post
Happy new year fellow hairy mamas!!

I have a question - I have not shaved my pits for over a year, and the skin underneath the hair is "angry"...it peels and is very much darker than the skin around it. Any ideas on what might cause that? I use Tom's deo maybe three times a week, and a natural, organic soap two-three times a week. Help my pits!
Does the Tom's have baking soda in it? I discovered that whenever I use a deo made with bs, my underarms turn red and start peeling. I finally found that crystal mists work best for me.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#21 of 195 Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 AM

Hi, Jen here, longtime hairy sometime poster.

Any of you sisters henna your armpits? What mix do you use, how do you apply and leave on and such?\
I'm thinking about doing mine, but then again I think I can get my pits red enough to match my hair just by spraying with drugstore peroxide and blow-drying once a day until they turn orangey-red (I've done that before and it worked.) (I have dark brown hair naturally.)

Happy 2010!

Jen
#22 of 195 Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
My mom never shaved when I was growing up. I remember her complaining when she started doing so after re-entering the workforce. I shaved during junior high and high school but never obsessed over it. I stopped in college and never felt very odd for doing so. I've always run with a "hippy" crowd, and while most do shave, it's not weird that I don't. DP grew up in an area where a majority of the girls are hairy (his sister included), so he could care less.

I practically live in tank tops during the summer so people definitely notice the difference. I've gotten to the point in my life where I really could care less about what others think of me. I do realize that I'm lucky to be surrounded by such a tolerant community and I feel for those who are harassed by their friends, family and other loved ones. It's just hair for goodness sakes!

Peace~

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#23 of 195 Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 AM

Hi!!
*(.)(.)*
#24 of 195 Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 AM

why henna? to make the hair turn color? that's it?
I've never heard of anyone I know doing that. Hmmmm............
#25 of 195 Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I just really never think of it as being different. And, I've found that nearly no one (except children) has ever had the guts to ask me about it, unless he/she was supportive.

My dh met me hairy.
#26 of 195 Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm a sometimes, most of the time.... I have anything on my face that grows where it "shouldn't" waxed... the benifits of having a goodfriend who is a make-up artist.

I sometimes shave my legs in the summer... I maybe shave my pits once every 3 mo in the fall, winter, spring. More so in the summer.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#27 of 195 Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM

I am curious about the henna too...

Question for some of you longtime mamas? Does the texture of your hair get softer over time? I keep hoping my legs & pits will hmm... be not so coarse, but more soft. Do I just have to be patient?

#28 of 195 Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Question for some of you longtime mamas? Does the texture of your hair get softer over time? I keep hoping my legs & pits will hmm... be not so coarse, but more soft. Do I just have to be patient?
In my experience, the hair definitely gets softer over time. If you can just make it past that itchy, stubby phase you should notice a difference.

#29 of 195 Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
It's been about a year since I shaved and it is all soft now. Don't know how long it took but it's been a long while since it bothered me.
#30 of 195 Old 01-10-2010, 02:53 AM

I guess I belong here....Who knew insomnia and searching MDC could lead me to this community!

I shave my legs below the knees in the summer; I shave my armpits about once every 3 months and occasionally if I feel like it I'll trim up my pubic region. I tweaze in between my eyebrows and my chin if I need to. Sometimes if it's really noticeable I will bleach the hair above my lips (it gets the darkest about 1 day before AF arrives and stays that way for about 6 days).

I'm fine with the face that I don't shave, but I'm not used to others seeing it. DH hasn't said whether he minds or not...sometimes I wonder if he can feel my hair through his hairy legs, lol...is that a weird thought?

I stopped shaving my armpits so frequently after I started getting multiple ingrown hairs. Right now I haven't shaved them for about 1.5 months. I've had these same darn in grown hairs in my left armpit since September!! They won't go away and they hurt!!

And PS I'm subbing this thread

Not TTC, but not-not TTC...if that makes any sense!
for guidance while fostering dogs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page