*~~~Dready Mamas 2010~~~* - Page 20 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#571 of 636 Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

thanks :)  yeah I moved to springfield several years ago from the seattle area. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#572 of 636 Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please check this out Mamas!

http://www.mytangledknots.com

I'm a SAHM of 3.  Just starting my own business.  3.5 years dready.  Lovins.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#573 of 636 Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Sharlla, just beautiful!!!!

Mamayogibe, no, my hair was halfway down my back when I went dready.  Sorry I can't help. 

Here's my 11 mo update! 

008.JPG022.JPG025.JPG

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#574 of 636 Old 07-08-2011, 11:24 AM

thank you.  man your hair looks great.   i cant wait until my hair grows and dreads more.  it's shrunk several inches lol

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#575 of 636 Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yeah, mine has always been below my shoulder blades each time I start to neglect it again. I also think neglecting my hair wouldn't do anything so I'd have to comb them in anyways. I just really miss dreadies right now:( But i suppose each time I grow my hair out is another lesson in patience just like each time I let them get knotty.

Also I love your locks, especially the color! Is it natural or henna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Sharlla, just beautiful!!!!

Mamayogibe, no, my hair was halfway down my back when I went dready.  Sorry I can't help.

be good family...

#576 of 636 Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 PM

is the girl in the 'small miracles' picture from berkeley? her farie wings look just like the ones one of my friends from berkeley has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica View Post

Please check this out Mamas!

http://www.mytangledknots.com

I'm a SAHM of 3.  Just starting my own business.  3.5 years dready.  Lovins.

be good family...

#577 of 636 Old 07-08-2011, 04:52 PM

haha saw that the question was for someone else

#578 of 636 Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

is the girl in the 'small miracles' picture from berkeley? her farie wings look just like the ones one of my friends from berkeley has.

Not from Berkeley.  =)

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#579 of 636 Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Yeah, mine has always been below my shoulder blades each time I start to neglect it again. I also think neglecting my hair wouldn't do anything so I'd have to comb them in anyways. I just really miss dreadies right now:( But i suppose each time I grow my hair out is another lesson in patience just like each time I let them get knotty.

Also I love your locks, especially the color! Is it natural or henna?

Thanks!  I don't know how to answer about the color, lol.  I used henna about 10 years ago, so I'm sure that part had grown out and been cut off before I went dready.  The rest I had dyed (chemical) for years and years and years (23? years maybe).  When I was a kid I was WHITE blond.  Then it turned dishwater blond.  Then I started to dye it.  What is left of the chemical dye is what you see in my dreads, but it has been 2 years since I dyed it, so I would think most of it has faded out and this is what I'm left with.  I have LOTS of gray, esp. in the front in my bangs.  I'm so undecided about what to do with it now because my bangs are a different color than the rest but it kinda looks like the color in my dreads is mostly from the sun.  (we swim in salt water, not regular chlorine pools).

I have a bottle of an ash brown dye sitting in my bathroom.  Not sure if I should use it to try to even it out or if I should just leave it alone. 

Anyone wanna tell me what to do, lol???

Sharlla, if I combed my dreads out the hair would be down to the top of my butt!!!  I am amazed at how much they shrunk!  I knew they would shrink alot, but I had no idea they'd shrink this much!  I haven't had hair this *short* (looking) in about 20 years, lol.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#580 of 636 Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I have a bottle of an ash brown dye sitting in my bathroom.  Not sure if I should use it to try to even it out or if I should just leave it alone. 

Sharlla, if I combed my dreads out the hair would be down to the top of my butt!!!  I am amazed at how much they shrunk!  I knew they would shrink alot, but I had no idea they'd shrink this much!  I haven't had hair this *short* (looking) in about 20 years, lol.

once upon a time when i was a teenage punk rocker i dyed my dreadlocks hot pink and black, and another time i dyed them green and purple. here is a tutorial as best as i can remember as this was about a decade ago!

you have to seperate each dread and dye it alone. use tin foil or saran wrap to isolate the dread and dye. completely cover the surface of the dread with the dye and don't rub it in just let it soak in. wrap it in wrap and tie with a rubber band at the base. let it sit a little longer than the recommended time. do this for each lock. the use of tin foil or wrap keeps them from splattering your skin and neighboring dreads you do not want to dye. if you have accessories in your knots you will want to isolate these and wrap them with a cover before dying or that pretty glass bead may end up tinted some odd hue.

after remembering that the odd smell in the room is the dye you decided to put on your natural locks negating the naturality of them but making them pretty ***ing cool none the less, run to the bathroom to see if the dye burned through them to make them all fall off (you will have this fear although I know of noone who has had their locks fall off from dying them:) turn the shower on a medium temp so you won't run out of warm water too quickly and wash for ever. even after there is no color coming out keep on washing them until the water is so cold that your skin is turning bluer than the dye. at this point take a dark colored towel and sop off the moisture while you wait for the water heater to kick in again.

you then want to use something to soak out the dye that may have soaked in and not washed out of the locks. i tried baking soda and it took out way too much of the color so from then on i would soak my almost dry locks in apple cider vinegar and then rinse that out until i'm frozen in the shower again. if you no poo with bs and acv you will loose color each time you use bs. oh and if you want a cool color go with dharma dye for silk and wool it rocks and lasts a million times longer and brighter than dye intended for hair.

but now that i'm a mom  i would never do something like that to my hair dreadlocks or not;) i would use henna now adays for a more natural spin on things... this post made me nalstagic for freight trains, the pogues and  southern culture on the skids

be good family...

#581 of 636 Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Well, I've dyed them once w/chemical dye, now that I think of it.  It was probably about 2 months after I went dready.  I had totally forgotten! 

A friend of mine dyes wool yarn and does silk painting and has every color of really good dyes I could ever want to experiment with, lol.  I may do a dread here and there a neato color, but nah, not all of them for sure.  I think for now I'll just use the ash brown on some of them, and my bangs and see what it looks like.  If I don't like it I can always run get another bottle and finish them off. 

#582 of 636 Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 AM

I bleached and dyed my tips.  There are pictures here.  I had them done at a local organic salon so I can't help with DIY advice.  

I use California Baby on my hair (about once every 7-10 days) and I don't think my hair lightened any faster then my Manic Panic days in high school.  

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#583 of 636 Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Has anyone here started their locks when they were short?

My hair was at my jaw line. You only need like 4 inches I've heard. Mine are natural plus a bit of twist and rip.
Quote:

My dreads have always been dyed chemically. I would leave yours alone. The process has been so drying on my ends since that hair has been there for so long I guess.

Here is my 3 year dreadversary pic!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#584 of 636 Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi!

I had dreads a couple of years ago but DH asked me to cut them off...sigh.

Any ideas to convince DH that dreads are awesome? He is hesitant again this time.

I am restarting my dread journey with my now shoulder-length (a little longer maybe) hair. I am simply not combing or brushing and separating them out when necessary. I may just do a few dreads and leave the rest of my hair straight as a compromise. Not sure yet. Honestly, DH still isn't sold, suggestions?

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#585 of 636 Old 07-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Hi Crunchymama, not sure I have advice on convincing DH dreads are awesome, but maybe when he sees how happy it makes you, he will come around?

I only ever did a few dreads in my hair, about 4 or 5 on the top/front and one in the back. I was nervous about taking the plunge at the time, but loved having a compromise and my own DH didn't mind just a few (though I think he's not so sure about a whole head either) After a couple years, it got to be a pain to do 2 different care routines for one head. I conditioned the rest of my hair, but had to be sure I didn't get conditioner in the dreads. In the end I cut them out and didn't have to sacrifice any length of my long hair. But I wish I had just done them all in the beginning. Now I'm thinking of doing it again, but I think I will just do the whole head to make it easier. Hope that helps.

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#586 of 636 Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Indigo, I love the colors!  So cool!  Very nice indeed.

MSF, your dreads (and you!) are just beautiful!  I'd like to see the back.  I haven't seen a pic of the back of your dreads since I had to steal your driftwood idea.... :o)

As far as convincing a dh....um, is there a specific reason you need his approval? 

#587 of 636 Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Indigo, I love the colors!  So cool!  Very nice indeed.

MSF, your dreads (and you!) are just beautiful!  I'd like to see the back.  I haven't seen a pic of the back of your dreads since I had to steal your driftwood idea.... :o)

As far as convincing a dh....um, is there a specific reason you need his approval? 

LOL! Yeah I know, but I feel as a Christian I need to respect his wishes and desires. However we are going on a few weeks and he hasn't said anything or asked me to get rid of them so I am just going to roll with it. So far going natural is doing fine. Although my hair is superstraight and fine it dreads really fast, I already have 6 recognizable dreads!

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#588 of 636 Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Hey, knotty girls! Here's my locks and my belly:

dp.jpg

Glad my DH loves my dreadies, it would suck to have to worry about him not liking them.

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

#589 of 636 Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Wow, you, your belly, and your dreads are beautiful!!

#590 of 636 Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Wow, you are truly beautiful! I hope to have dreads like that some day. However, after only 3 weeks or so of not brushing my hair, I have 3 almost fully formed dreads already and more coming along!

#591 of 636 Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks! Just bought some.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#592 of 636 Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Gorgeous, Jessima!!

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#593 of 636 Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 AM

Jessima, most beautiful pregnancy picture I've ever seen! This is exactly what I had hoped for but my dreads just didn't grow fast enough!

#594 of 636 Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM

My dreads :)

2011-05-26 14.11.55.jpg

namaste.gif
#595 of 636 Old 08-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Midwitch, your dreadies are just gorgeous!

I wish I'd had dreads while pregnant.  I'm done now.  :o(  Oh well.  I had this beautiful pic of me up on my horse w/gauzey white material around my breasts and blowing in the wind...Dreads would have really completed it.  One day recently my oldest dd found that pic on some website w/"weird pictures" or something like that.

Ha, here it is.  Be warned there are some other pics that little kids might not need to see.  http://2lolz.com/weird-pregnancy-photos-ever/

#596 of 636 Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Midwitch - love it! How old are they? I think that's what mine will look like, they seem to be the same size...so exciting!

Chicky - what a site! Some of those aren't weird at all (including yours, which is beautiful). I especially love the newspaper one were the girl is smoking and the caption reads that she's scared of jackhammer sounds for her baby eyesroll.gif

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#597 of 636 Old 08-06-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

Midwitch - love it! How old are they?

The pic is from a few months ago, they're now about a year old- which is why they are more dreaded at the top, than at the bottom ;-) they still have some shrinking to do, I'm curious to see just how much they'll shrink...

namaste.gif
#598 of 636 Old 08-06-2011, 12:05 PM

yippiehippie, thanks.  And yeah, there were some interesting pics on there for sure.

Midwitch, mine were down to where my bra hooks in back when I started.  I figure the hair would be down to my butt by now, and all of the sudden they shrunk like mad after we got a salt water chlorinator for our pool, lol.  They are up to the top of my shoulders now.

#599 of 636 Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:

Midwitch, mine were down to where my bra hooks in back when I started.  I figure the hair would be down to my butt by now, and all of the sudden they shrunk like mad after we got a salt water chlorinator for our pool, lol.  They are up to the top of my shoulders now.

Yes, most dreads will shrink with anything between 25% and 80%. And saltwater helps dreads lock, so it makes sense yours would shrink after that :-) When I started mine a year ago, they were down below my bum/upper thigh, now they're just above my bum and they have still got a lot of shrinking to to.

namaste.gif
#600 of 636 Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM

I would be horrified to find my pic on one of those websites! I thought your pic was beautiful though.

My dreads never went through a shrinking stage I think because they locked up so slowly (2 years until they were fully locked up). I guess my hair was growing fast enough to make up for it plus a little. Midwitch your dreads look great. What method did you use to start them? I always thought it would be hard to start with super long hair.

Tags
Natural Hair Care

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page