*~~~Dready Mamas 2010~~~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
adoptmama they look really good. I love my curly ends too.

Nice dreads KristaDJ. Reminds me a lot of mine, similar birthday.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 03:34 AM

thanks, mamas!

a cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, attachment-parenting, adoption-promoting, natural-birthing, graphic-designing, dready mama to two sweet girls!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Hey, dready folks!

My DD cut her dreads off this winter, after two and a half years. She's happy with her short hair.

My hair isn't long enough yet, but I am considering dreading it when it is long enough. Last time, there was a lice emergency with some very close friends and I just didn't want to risk bringing it home to DD.

I am feeling unsure about dreads this time around because I have my own business and I don't want it to affect my work. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep it looking "professional"? Reasonably so, not necessarily perfect! Right now, my hair is pretty basic and I am not into doing my hair.
I was wondering if maybe leaving some front hair un-dreaded would help? Just to make it look neater if I covered my hair...? I'm not sure what I"m looking for! Just needing to ramble, I guess.
My very short-lived dreads here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/anderso...7615580020636/

My DD's beautiful dreads here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anderso...7615579926824/
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

nemesis...your dd's dreads were beautiful!! when did she decide she wanted them (what age)? my dd is nearly three and has this beautiful curly hair, and is saying every now and again that she wants dreads. i would love for dd and i to both have dreads, but at 3, the idea of that kind of commitment escapes her. i guess we could always cut them off, though. hair always seems to grow back!

your dreads were super cute, but you also look STUNNING with a shaved head! as far as "neater looking" dreads go, i just pull mine back or i wear a bandanna over them. i am a midwifery apprentice for a midwife who sees some pretty conservative clientele, but so far, we've had no issues with anyone being insulted by my appearance. i also just make sure to try and do weekly upkeep on them. i trim away the stray hairs, palmroll like crazy, rinse them once a week, and felt them every so often. keeps them pretty neat, until 9m/o ds tugs on the (he's a grabby little baby!). as much as the neglect method appealed to me, my life as an apprentice dictated that i had to do otherwise in an effort to look presentable.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Hey, dready folks!

My DD cut her dreads off this winter, after two and a half years. She's happy with her short hair.

My hair isn't long enough yet, but I am considering dreading it when it is long enough. Last time, there was a lice emergency with some very close friends and I just didn't want to risk bringing it home to DD.

I am feeling unsure about dreads this time around because I have my own business and I don't want it to affect my work. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep it looking "professional"? Reasonably so, not necessarily perfect! Right now, my hair is pretty basic and I am not into doing my hair.
I was wondering if maybe leaving some front hair un-dreaded would help? Just to make it look neater if I covered my hair...? I'm not sure what I"m looking for! Just needing to ramble, I guess.
My very short-lived dreads here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/anderso...7615580020636/

My DD's beautiful dreads here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anderso...7615579926824/
awww. makes me miss my DD's dreads *sniff* *sniff*. I remember our DDs started their dreads at about the same time.
and yeah, I can't say what you should do about yours; depends a lot on what work you do. most people with dreads tie them back in a bun or something, with a kerchief for work. (mine can't be so easily hidden, but I'm an independent MW so it doesn't really matter). and I agree that you look GORGEOUS with a shaved head

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 AM

Nemesis your dd's dreads were gorgeous! You would look great with some fringe. I think you'd have to wear a bandanna the first few months while they got through the fuzzy stage.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Loving these pictures! Love the way baby dreads look. And the little girl's dreads were beautiful! Makes me think about letting my DDs hair dread. She is two and a half and hates to have her hair brushed. But her hair is red and curly, much like MF's DD's hair, and I just love it.

I have a question. Forgive me if this has been answered. I haven't seen anyone discuss it, yet. I have serious loops and twists and turns in my four-month-old dreads. Are they going to stay forever, or will they straighten at all? I've been really low maintenence with my hair. What to expect??

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 PM

Narn in my experience the loopies will straighten out/flatten down and your dreads will look just fine. Mine were the very loopy sort as well but it all worked out. I don't have the patience to crochet every loop.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 AM

yeah. loops generally smoothen out in time. just be patient, it's all part of the charm.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM

I had a question for you ladies, if you back combed to start your dreads did you use bands or something to hold them for a while. I had a friend section my hair, and am starting to back comb but was having the ends work themselves out a bit. thanks in advance.... also how long before you did your first wash?

:
Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Hi Everyone,
I am really new to this board and idea of getting dreads. I've always had funky hair but since having 2 beautiful children (now 3 and 8) I've had boring hair and have hated it. I've been thinking about a change and my dh suggested dreads. Since I've always loved unique hair styles, and have loved seeing other people's dreads, I thought this is a GREAT idea. I'm very excited about getting them. But, I'm really nervous about doing them myself. However, it sounds to me like a lot of you dreadymommas have done them yourselves! I want to do them *right* so worry that I might not make them right. After reading thru these posts though, it sounds like most of you are so relaxed about the process of doing it yourselves and the dreads are turning out great! I've been on knottyboy web site and wish I lived in Vancouver but since I don't, I'll probably do them myself. I have some questions though I'm hoping you guys won't mind answering:

1) my hair is shoulder length, is this long enough?
2) can I still dyed/bleach my roots? I know, not so natural but it is one of my vices...
3) is it possible to do this by myself?

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, a dreadymomma hopeful
tasha
Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 AM

hi giaana - yes to all three.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 PM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/...0d2f0b1715.jpg

hi all, I have not posted in a while. I felted in some of my roots last night and ended up felting in some of my spinning fiber as well. I loved the effect. green is my color so thats what ended up in my hair.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 PM

omg auburnmamma that looks awesome!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:22 AM

Beautiful!!!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks guys! I went to my favorite fiber studio today and they all wanted to help felt in some more color in the back. I'll go back sometime and show off more pictures. On the the fibers actually has some sparkle to it and I (covet) it!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 PM

lovely!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 PM

Nice dreads and I see you have Jedi in your house lol.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Yes, we have 3 little Jedi and 1 big one :-)
Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM

Lol, is the big one you or your husband? I'm the geek in my house.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 PM

mmm geeks
and goodness, I've created another geek (see my blog)

Old 03-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Awww! lol a little techy

Old 03-21-2010, 11:45 PM

yeah. it's a proud moment for all us geeks
if only she still had her dreadlocks.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:07 AM

Hi there everyone, I'm going on my 2nd week of my dreads... I'm really enjoying all this craziness on my head. My hair was straight and a little fine. I always hated how it was to thin, not long enough, too short, not straight enough, to frizzy.. I have never really been happy with how it was at the moment.. But these dreads feel good, feel right.. I feel more like me then ever before.. It does seem strange that I feel so good when my hair is so crazy, unruly looking... I keep thinking that this how I feel inside and now I match, my outsides match my insides..
Ok, enough of my deep thoughts ...
This 2nd week my dreads are all a little different...Some are loose, some are bumpy and getting tight, the top of my head a frizzy mess and I can't seem to tame any of the frizz into the nearby dreads.. I'm a little scared that they are going to come out, but don't really see how that could happen.. Some of them are tight and I'm loving that.
Any encouragement would be great, is this normal??? I was palm rolling them every day but read somewhere that it is bad to do it too much so have not done that as much.. So, I'm not doing much to them... Should I be doing more?? Also, the ends of each dread is smooth, fine, undreaded hair is there someway I can keep this backcombed or do you all think it would be fine to just let it be.. Sorry for the long post.... I really enjoy this thread and love seeing pictures... I will post some if I can figure out how.. Thanks again...

:
Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 AM

sounds pretty normal. it's an evolution, and just 2 weeks in they aren't really locked in yet. Some people find the very ends don't lock up, don't worry about that too much. either they will or they wont. After 14 years I still have a few with loose hair poking out of the ends. As long as the hair nearer the scalp is tight, they'll be fine in the long run (though as it grows there's usually about an inch of unlocked hair before the real dread starts). keep it up

Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 PM

dinan6, I would just let them be. They'll turn out great. I would separate and palm roll like once a week. After they get all tight in like 9 months, you can work on rounding the ends or crocheting the undreaded hairs. Don't worry about doing anything like that now though.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the information... I am really enjoying watching them change.. and so happy I did them.. I'm a bit obsessed at the moment. I'll keep posting on my progress...

:
Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM

I've been having crazy dreams about my hair! I am also pregnant. I have lots of strange dreams when I'm pregnant.

In one dream I kept twisting a dread until my scalp under it started twisting, too. I had this big long blob of twisted skin before the dread started. It was so creepy!

In another dream three of my dreads fell out and left a big, purple blood blister underneath. It kind of felt like one of those dreams where my teeth fall out. It was so vivid.

Anyone else have weird hair dreams??

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 PM

nothing weird like that. I sometimes dream that i've cut my dreads off.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 PM

I had a dream that I was standing in line for something and two ladies were behind me talking about my dreads. One of the ladies said she could fix my ends, which at the moment are loose so she then took one of my dreads and did something like burnt it with a cigarette or fire and then walked away.. My one dread was all nubby on the end... Very weird..
I have a question for you all, when you first had dreaded or started to dread did you have a period of missing certian things about undreaded hair.. Like, running your fingers through it, or how silky soft it feels after a wash... I'm having those feelings maybe it's because this week is a little crazy with my dreads....

:

Tags
Natural Hair Care
User Tag List