*~~~Dready Mamas 2010~~~* - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 636 Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome hartfelt! I really want long dreads but I think I'll end up cutting them as I can just imagine the weight being an issue for me. I already get headaches when I pull my hair up.

dinan6 it's really early to do any maintenance but you could try sewing loose hairs into the next dread with a yarn needle. I sew hairs from the root right down through the middle of the dread so they disappear.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#122 of 636 Old 04-06-2010, 02:56 PM

MoonStarFalling......how do you sew the loose hairs? I have tons of these loose hairs. I have been trying to crochet them in but they keep coming right back out or so it seems.

Has anyone or does anyone like to use aloe gel? I have this aloe gel from knotty boy that I like because it makes my dreads look like dreads in that they are formed and defined but it makes them feel crunchy anf crispy. so much that I barely ever use it.
#123 of 636 Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM

Hi mamas
My dreads are 3 1/2 months old. They were started with sectioning and backcombing. Then at two months old I had someone do a little maintenance to them, crocheting in the TONS of loose hairs and re-separating some sections that were growing together at the roots, it was kind of like one big web of hair behind each of my ears, AAAACCKKK!
Right now my dreads are all loopy and zig-zaggy and I love it. They are shrinking a lot and still have loose ends. I am not doing much to them other than making sure they aren't growing together. I have had some issues with dandruff, I think I have it under control, but I think I might have to stop using Dr. Bronners...what do you wash with? I was thinking about trying the Knotty Boy bar shampoo.
We are a full time traveling family of 7. Currently we are in the Phoenix, AZ area. Check out my blog if you want to see some of our adventures: www.wechoosethis.blogspot.com
#124 of 636 Old 04-06-2010, 10:16 PM

I love long dreads too but I know I can't let mine just grow . I have a neck injury that gives me problems pretty much every day and I can't even wear my hair up all day or have a towel around my head for more than 10 minutes or so. I'm going to let them get as long as I can though, I would LOVE dreads down past my butt .

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#125 of 636 Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 PM

: my longest dread broke yesterday.
I stepped on it and it snapped 43cm (16") came off. it's still 93cm (36") long even after that, but still.
now I only have 2 left that are down to my knees. the rest are just past my butt.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#126 of 636 Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 PM

so sorry majikfaerie......
#127 of 636 Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 AM

yeah. that's the irony of finally having dreads long enough to step on... you step on them!

#128 of 636 Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
: my longest dread broke yesterday.
I stepped on it and it snapped 43cm (16") came off. it's still 93cm (36") long even after that, but still.
now I only have 2 left that are down to my knees. the rest are just past my butt.
Aww no!

But that's kind of cool, though. If I were a 16" tail of a dread I think that's how I'd wanna go out.

Hey, what did you do with it??

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#129 of 636 Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 AM

thus far, it's sitting on my desk

#130 of 636 Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Oh Majik, I'm so sorry..

:
#131 of 636 Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM

My dreads are 2.4 years and have finally started to grow. I started with hair in the middle of my waist and they shrunk a LOT! I have fatter dreads than most. Not as fat as MF's, but definitely fatter than most which is why i only have 16 not including three tiny ones I started with hair that grew out after ripping them apart in the beginning. I felted my loose hairs on my dreads but I have a small bit of hair that isn't dreaded that grew oout from ripping that I leave because I have so few dreads it fills in the space.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#132 of 636 Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 PM

Aww bummer majikfaerie. RIP little dready.

hadassah, for long hairs coming out of the scalp or if you have a tiny dread that you want to join with a bigger one next to it the yarn needle thing works. Just sew it down the center of the dread. Yeah I really didn't like the knotty boy aloe gel. Regular pure aloe works OK. I tend to just use a dab of coconut oil as needed.

wechoosethis, dr Bronners liquid didn't work for my dreads. The Dr B bar soap worked a little better. A lot of people find that it causes build up. I use Avalon Organics now (after trying a half dozen things) about once a month now and other than that just plain water.

#133 of 636 Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Hey mamas,
Finally took the 3 year desire plunge and got dreads. my friend and I finished them 2 days ago.
what do you think. 2 days old, think they have some potental?
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...woolies027.jpg

any tips on your newbie maintance? we backcombed and used small amounts of fresh aloe gel and of course palm rolled. i know this is going to be a long journey or love and patience - i hope the end results is everything i hoped for
#134 of 636 Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM

rawmamanibbles they look great! I would just separate and palm roll like once a week.

#135 of 636 Old 04-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Cool, that what i will do. and i broke down and bought some lock peppa too, i know i prolly "dont" need it but i wanted it, lol. in the mean time salt water spray here and there before a palm roll is what i was thinking.
when can i go to the ocean?
#136 of 636 Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 PM

I used some salt water spray early on. I don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt anything. I would probably wait a month before I went dipping them in the ocean. I dunno. I go to the beach almost every day and I never have put my dreads in lol. It's been too cold plus I'm nervous about getting things in my dreads (like sand). Salt seems pretty drying and my hair is already uber dry. I'm doing a deep moisturizing mask on them tonight.

#137 of 636 Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM

tomorrow will be day 3 so i was thinking of doing the salt water spray, and some palm rolling with aloe gel. think that will be fine?
how long have you had yours?
#138 of 636 Old 04-10-2010, 02:04 AM

I love seeing everyone else's dreads! Here are mine(hope the link works...)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...15614868455673
I am blunting the tips with a crochet hook(the ones that I can) and I wish I could do all of them. It really makes them seem more solid to me.
Love reading this thread when I get the chance.
The aloe has me confused...aloe like the plant we use for sunburn? Just glob some on and palmroll?

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#139 of 636 Old 04-10-2010, 03:47 AM

looks good wendy! and nice tatt

#140 of 636 Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 AM

nice dreads Wendy.... I like how the ends look.. Mine are all wispy, smooth like my hair used to be....

:
#141 of 636 Old 04-10-2010, 03:09 PM

*wendybird*

you have the most amazing dreads! How long have you had them? ok so how do you "blunt the ends with a crochet hook"?
#142 of 636 Old 04-12-2010, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the kind words everyone! My dreads are only 6 months old, I am so looking forward to seeing how they progress. I used the crochet hook to loop the bottom through about 1/2 inch above...I looked on youtube. I think I searched "how to dread tips" and just waded through a bunch of videos and tried it. Some of the dreads worked and some are still too young.

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#143 of 636 Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 AM

Hi everyone! I've been thinking about getting locks and even have someone scheduled to come over this week to start the process but am now getting a little anxious about getting locks. I'm hoping some of you may have some thoughts for me about this whole thing...

Here are some of my concerns:

what if they really turn out looking horrible...in other words, what if he actual locks themselves look bad...not sure anyone can help with this, it's just my fear!

how much maintenance is involved in the first 6 months, until they hopefully lock up? do I have to sleep with something on my head at night? how messy will it look? I do realize that my hair will not lock up until months later but just wonder about the process itself and how much maintenance is involved.

How will sweat (I'm trying run for excerize) and being on the beach (sand) effect my hair? Anyone have these experiences?

Sorry for all the questions but I am starting to get some doubts about doing this. When I look at other locs, I love how they look and I would love to have them but I guess, I'm just getting nervous

The other worry I have is, my 3 yo dd is not very happy about my decision to get this done. She doesn't know what dreads are (she didn't want to see pictures of them) so I think she has this image of me changing so drastically. I've tried to talk to her about it but she doesn't really want to talk about it. I feel bad b/c I think she really doesn't want me to get these done and I worry about how she will respond to my new hair.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
tasha
#144 of 636 Old 04-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Tasha,
I just backcombed my hair 4 weeks ago, now I'm doing twist & rip on the ones that have come loose.. I have wanted to dread for a long long time so now that I'm on my way I love it. I love how crazy they look, how unique they are to me.. It is a bit daunting I think at first because it's hair and hard to hide, most days if I'm around the house I let them fly free but cover them up some when going out. I feel that the maintenance for me is very low key, although when I was looking into this lots of people said the first year is very high maintenance.. Right now I wash every 3 days, and pull them apart to keep them from growing together.. so personally the maintenance is not that much at all.. I have faith that they will turn out exactly how they are supposed to.
I have a 16 year old that was very against me doing them. She had no interest in researching anything about them. But, although she does not agree that I have them she has gotten over the initial shock.
Really, for me I quickly realized after doing them that it does not matter what others think. It just matters how I feel about me, if I like the way I look and feel very good like this then that is enough. I think you should do them and just see, it can be an opportunity for personal growth. good luck...

:
#145 of 636 Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 PM

giaana, if you like the way dreads look, you'll like yours. don't worry about that. maintenance depends on which method you use to lock them. neglect is close to no maintenance, ranging up to professionally made dreads that require a lot. also depends on your hair type. some people with very fine hair find they have to keep back combing, or twisting and rubbing in or whatever regularly, while others don't have to do much. also depends on how "dreaded" you want them to look from the start. if you want them to be neat and even from the outset, and stay that way, it's a lot more maintenance than letting them grow a bit more organically and living through the "messy" stage for a few weeks.
perhaps your dd would enjoy helping you start them off?

#146 of 636 Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks so much ladies! since posting this yesterday, I did even more research and decided that I may just start these locks off naturally and not get them "done" by someone. the natural way seems to appeal more to me and I'll save a bunch of $. I just didn't realize how easy it might be to get my hair locked naturally. So, with this being said, I think that I will have a more low maintenance, messier look (at first) but it seems that the hair should move to locking pretty easily. I'll keep you guys posted and hopefully get some pics up one day.

I think my dd will adjust easier to my hair with the natural way b/c it will be more in stages instead of her coming home to find my hair all locky right away. I feel so much better now to start this process. I was looking for a way to keep her happy and me happy and I think I found it The funny thing is she hates to have her hair brushed so it never gets brushed...so she may be able to relate a little

thanks again, you both have helped me a lot!
tasha
#147 of 636 Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 PM

Can someone tell me how to post a picture... I want to post pics to show you all my dreads.... thanks in advance...

:
#148 of 636 Old 04-14-2010, 02:55 AM

you need to have your picture hosted somewhere like Flickr or photobucket, etc. (so join one of those sites and upload the pic you want). I use Flickr - there's even a group on flickr called mdc_dread or something like that.
once your pics are uploaded, you need to grab the direct link URL. it will be a web address that ends in .jpg
on flickr, these links are found if you click on "all sizes" and then select the size you want (medium or small are good for forums) and then below the pic will be the link (don't copy it out of the address bar).
then you paste it into the compose box between image tags: [img] your url here .jpg [/img ]

#149 of 636 Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 AM

Thanks Majik..... I could not figure out how to post them that way, but I do have a share photo site, if you all want to see my progress from 1 week to 5 weeks now...
www.6dragonflies.shutterfly.com
I hope it's ok to post that on here... I just wanted to show you all my hair... Let me know what you think..

:
#150 of 636 Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM

nice one!

Tags
Natural Hair Care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page