*~~~Dready Mamas 2010~~~* - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 636 Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
glad to hear you're in a better place! happy dready mothers day to you all!
#182 of 636 Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Good for you hram!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#183 of 636 Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 PM

Hey there ladies, I'm at 8 weeks dready now.. and had a question for you all. I have some nice tight dreads on the topish back of my head but then all my hair towards my neck is not as dreaded, it really looks odd...which is funny because my whole head looks odd ... So my question is can I just let all this loose hair be and will it dread on it's own... I have some dreads on the sides of my head that did their own thing.... I think I need some words of encouragement that maybe this is normal and someone experienced the same thing... thanks..

:
#184 of 636 Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 AM

The hair at the nape of my neck didn't even start dreading up till I was over a year into having dreads. Once it went it went fast. I had three really tight dreads in a week.

I had a hard time with the underside of my hair. It is several months behind the "top" of my hair. It's softer, since it doesn't see the sun, so I guess had a harder time dreading.

I still have hair around my ears that didn't dread. That's really normal.

#185 of 636 Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 PM

Thanks Moonstarfalling, I'm sure it's normal but it really looks weird.. like the top layer of my hair is dreaded and they have shrunk up but under neath is straight with some crazy trying to dread hair.. I'm really loving the dreads that have shrunken up... I do think all the hair underneath will be way behind my top dreads..

:
#186 of 636 Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 AM

Hi dinan6,

be encouraged.....from what I know the underneath hair (baby hair if you will)sometimes takes AWHILE to dread up. Not all of mine have dreaded and my dreadies will be a year old in June! It's kind of like the soft hair that frames your face, it's tough to dread up for some. I keep mine sectioned off there beneath my top hair and have just let them do their thing. Palm rolling will help and keeping them seperated. I have been actually thinking of braiding mine.
#187 of 636 Old 05-22-2010, 02:55 AM

I am seven months in and the hair at the back is just starting to work its way into dreading. I did at some point braid some of it. That was cool. The one thing I like about that hair being so long is that I can put everything up into a kind of ponytail thing. But it is way behind.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#188 of 636 Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks ladies,
I might have my friend braid a few or maybe twist and rip them again. It is nice having them long because it makes it easy to put up with the ones on top that have shrunk up so much..... my crazy hair....

:
#189 of 636 Old 05-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Ha! dinan6......you just described my hair to a T
#190 of 636 Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 AM

I saw something today that I just had to tell you ladies about. DSS and I were at 7-11, and the guy in front of us had beautiful dreads. On the ends instead of beads or bands he had the tops from beer and glass soda bottles, bent in half with a pair of pliers so they held the ends tight. He said he picked up the caps from the ground, one from each state he had traveled to so he would have a tangible reminder that he is he brothers' keeper as far as picking up litter goes. I wish I knew so many more people like that.
#191 of 636 Old 06-01-2010, 01:36 AM

wow, that's beautiful tatangel19

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#192 of 636 Old 06-01-2010, 09:14 AM

Tatangel19 that is very cool, I also wish I knew more people like that. Well Ladies I feel discouraged these days. I'm really trying to be patient, the only way right now I can wear my hair is up. I'm tired of that so at home I wear it down but when going out I put it up. I'm sure this is all part of the process, I'm really just trying to ignore it but it's driving me crazy. Does anyone else notice how much hotter it is with dreads, my head heats up like crazy now. And the few dreads that have tightened up have shrunken up a lot. Anyways, hope you all are doing well.

:
#193 of 636 Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm pregnant and it's so hot and humid here, very unusual for this time of year. I have to wear my hair up most of the time to keep cool. But then I usually get a headache from wearing it in a bun for more than a couple hours. Even a loose headband I get so sick of wearing all the time. Not sure what I will do!

#194 of 636 Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM

Since I went from bra band length crazy curly hair to just barely shoulder length year old dreads... I have to say hot weather = wearing my hair up. So I don't know if I am much help.

But I do my best to wear it up in a few different ways: goddess wraps, stretchy head bands, bandanas, high ponytails, pig tails, french twist using a few of those really small jaw clips or really big bobby pins (so the pins don't get lost in my roots).

I had finally decided to dread my hair (after year of thinking about it) because I found I was just braiding my hair every day. What was the point of long hair if I didn't have fun with it?

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#195 of 636 Old 06-02-2010, 01:38 AM

when it's really hot, I wet my hair. I find that keeps me cool

#196 of 636 Old 06-19-2010, 04:57 PM

Ladies, I have a question about my dd dreads. She has had them in for a good three or four months, she just turned 3 yesterday But I have to seperate them daily or they will become one big dread. Im not opposed to letting the ones that need to grow together, but thats not hte case. They all grow together! I think some of the problem is that she had dreads before when she was almost 2 and because of pressure from family I brushed them out. So we got into this cylce of letting her hair get really tangled and just brushing once a week. So that damage along with her never having a haircut has really has damaged her hair. Its not like before where they naturally formed and for the most part stayed to themselves So about how long does it usually take before the growing together at least slows down? Until then I just have to seperate and roll, which is the only thing that temporarily helps.
#197 of 636 Old 06-19-2010, 08:05 PM

I don't know hram. for some it might never end. if it's getting to be a real hassle, you might consider wrapping the tops of the (separated) dreads with string (some nice coloured cotton or something like that), just to keep them neat for a while.

#198 of 636 Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 AM

You know, I thought about doing that since its just the underneath that is the main problem. The ones on top arent so bad. But I will have to wait until I go to town, which who knows when that will be.

And I was peeking around on your blog and saw you mention healing some cavities. Im looking into that now. My poor kids are having a hard time with their teeth. Im trying to find a more specific nutrition guide though.
#199 of 636 Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM

oh, hram, check out the dental and traditional foods sections of MDC. there's LOADS of information. there's a book called Cure Tooth Decay by Raimel Nagel that's great (I haven't read it, just get his email newsletter and have heard a bunch about the book), and check out the weston a price foundation (google it).
HTH

#200 of 636 Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM

hram, it really slowed down around 9 months for me. I'm 2 years in and yesterday found four dreads growing together at the root. I had been keeping pretty close tabs on things so I'm pretty surprised and frustrated as they just aren't behaving well lately. Seems like sometimes they just attach overnight. I actually said to DH yesterday, "should I just chop it off or try and comb it out"?! Fortunately he's not about to let me do that

#201 of 636 Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 AM

Thanks ladies. I have been just pulling them apart daily. Its amazing how long play dough will keep a kid entertained. Im expecting hers to take a while anyway. Some is super baby fine and wont lock up at all. And soem is crazy knotted. Its cool, her hair finally matches her personality. And since I havent been paying attention to mine lately they have really been knotting up in crazy loops. Its great.

Majikfaerie I have been reading the weston price web site, but I am looking for more info on preparing more traditional foods. Our main change will be raw dairy and lots of bone broths. Im already on the look out for local farms for when we move, hopefully in two days. We are all doing major changes to help our teeth. So I hope that and taking out the mercury fillings my mother was so kind to have put in when I was young, will really help out. Ill be on the lookout ofr that book. Thanks
#202 of 636 Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 AM

hram, I have the book Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon, which is a recipe book that also contains loads of nutritional information, and I use it a lot. you can also get into the traditional foods section on mdc.

#203 of 636 Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 AM

I took a look in there last night and I think its my new obsession There is a lot of stuff to learn but I think its going to be great. I had a burn out on cooking last year because of a horribly small kitchen (and a great sushi place next to my houes) but its definatly time for a change. I was looking at that book on amazon. Once we get settled Im going to have to make an order. Thanks
#204 of 636 Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 PM
jmo

hi ladies. I am about a week into my second set of dreads. My first set was about 12 years ago and I've totally regret cutting them off ever since. This time I had someone help me section and backcomb (last time was pure neglect method). So far they are looking pretty good. I've got a few questions for you wise mamas, though. First, how much maintenence should I be doing right now? I washed for the first time today with some dr bronners and did a little separating but it didn't seem like they really needed much. I keep hearing that you need to do a lot of maintenence in the beginning if you want nice dreads but I'm not sure what I should be doing? Palm rolling? Also, I'm trying to decide if I should try to blunt the ends w/ a crochet hook. I've got several inches of undreaded wispy hair at the ends. I'm not really sure if I want to lose the length. How long does it typically take for the ends to dread naturally?
Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2326222...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23262229@N02/4739269607/

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#205 of 636 Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 AM

they're looking great jmo! some people find the ends never really dread up, but I wouldn't worry about that. after 14 years some of mine still have loose hair at the ends. you also might find they lock up - a crochet hook supposedly helps.
I wouldn't worry too much about maintenance as long as they're looking fine and feeling firm. if they start loosening, you might want to crochet, or palm roll a bit.

#206 of 636 Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 AM

I just got some maintenance done on my dreads this weekend. And since she took before & after pics, I have some recent pics to share. LOL

I am the photographer in the family so candid shots of myself is a rarity.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/myindig...57624368401912

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

#207 of 636 Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 AM

looks awesome

#208 of 636 Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo View Post
hi ladies. I am about a week into my second set of dreads.
Looking great! I just washed, separated and palm rolled a couple times a week. I haven't heard that you need to do a lot of maintenance. I've always heard that doing a lot will cause problems. I really like wispy ends and kinda regret crocheting mine in. Some of mine rounded by themselves, some didn't.

Indigo, wow! They are looking awesome. I wish I could find someone to do that for me.

#209 of 636 Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM
jmo

thanks, mamas. I guess I have been reading too much stuff online and about how you need to wax, palm roll, separate, crochet hook, etc...it all sounds overwhelming! Indigo, wow! Your dreads look great! So neat!

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#210 of 636 Old 06-28-2010, 02:20 PM

JMO, I meant to answer your questions. I don't wax, don't palm roll and occasionally crochet a weird spot. Two or three times I've had someone clean things up a bit, this last one was major and I am happy I did it even if my poor head is a bit itchy from the tightness. I will probably ignore it for another 6 months and treat myself again.

Moon, I know my friend is sponsored by DreadheadHQ, maybe one of the others are near you? http://www.dreadheadhq.com/sponsored-kids.php

Tags
Natural Hair Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page