*~~~Dready Mamas 2010~~~* - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 636 Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi jmo - sorry i don't have any helpful thoughts for you since i only use dr. bronners, but when my scalp gets itchy, it's usually because the hair at the root is sick of being in the same spot/matted to my head, so I re-wash or rinse with water and that helps the roots fluff up and re-situate themselves if that makes sense... i think i might wash/rinse more frequently than most though (1-2 times per week)...

i had a question for you mamas... my dreads are almost 5 months old... they're pretty tight and have been shrinking up quite a bit... the new growth is dreading nicely, but not shrinking yet, so it's relatively thinner than the bottom of the dread... does new dread growth eventually shrink up, too, and get thicker??

a cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, attachment-parenting, adoption-promoting, natural-birthing, graphic-designing, dready mama to two sweet girls!
#242 of 636 Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 PM

I find it does

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#243 of 636 Old 07-16-2010, 12:06 AM

jmo, have you tried a rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar? I would probably just wash with plain water/ACV rinse every other time and see if that helps.

adoptmama, I think it will. My roots/new growth are doing a lot better now. More uniform.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#244 of 636 Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 PM
jmo

I haven't tried an acv rinse yet. I think I'll give it a go this weekend. Between the dandruff and the several inches of really wispy, undreaded tips, I'm feeling kind of a mess right now. Patience. Patience. Right?

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#245 of 636 Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 PM

It will get better!

#246 of 636 Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

i second the acv rinse. i wash my hair first and towel/air dry it until it is just damp, then i do the acv. i pour some acv in a spray bottle and dilute it to full with water. spraying it on at the roots makes it go on a lot easier. then i put a shower cap on and let it set for about 1/2 hour. then i rinse with plain warm water. it has really helped break down the dandruff that gets stuck inside at the root of each dread. my scalp is having trouble not being able to "breathe" this go 'round, apparently. i do this about every 3rd wash or so, and i wash every couple of weeks. do be warned, though; acv doesn't smell so great, even diluted, but it really helps with dandruff and itchiness. good luck!
#247 of 636 Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 AM

I'm back!

I think of you ladies often!

I'm rarely in photos because the camera is in my hand, but here are a few shots that were taken on vacation...

Can't tell the length, but they tickle my elbows.

This one is blurry, but you get the idea.

Oops! Found another!

I think they're lovely! Gray and long and lovely. Love my hair!
#248 of 636 Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 AM

wow mamabear, they look fantastic! I look forward to having grey dreads.
actually, as a midwife, grey hair is usually a bonus

#249 of 636 Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 AM

Thank you, dear. You know, they don't look all that gray in these photos! Hmm. Usually my head is glowing!!
#250 of 636 Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Mamabear, beautiful pictures. Love your dreads...

:
#251 of 636 Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Really nice Mamabear! Thanks for sharing.

#252 of 636 Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Moon, your hair is longer than I last saw (obviously)! I love the color - you're so pretty!

MF, loved your photos, too!

Buddha - I was surprised to see that you'd cut, but your new style looks really nice on you.

High-fives to anyone I missed...can't be on here much longer...
#253 of 636 Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
jmo

thanks for the info, grooveynaturemama. I did an acv rinse today so hopefully that will help w/ the itch/dandruff scene. Things are definitely getting a little loose in spots, which is kind of bumming me out. Should I be palmrolling more? It honestly doesn't seem like that does much.

mamabearto4, gorgeous, gorgeous dreads! How old are they?

#254 of 636 Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Ok, so I'm taking the dread plunge, lol. I have secretly wanted to for a LONG time, so I'm just gonna do it! I have about 20 done so far. Doing them myself. I am not using wax, and kinda doing a combo of backcombing and twist and rip. My son broke my camera, so I can't take pics, but will asap!

Anyone else done this w/no wax at all? I'm just not interested in wax. I want smaller locs, not big fat ones (they just wouldn't suit me, I think).

Love all the pics I've seen (read the whole thread).

I'd love to hear some of the reasons behind your decisions to have locs.

For me, it's just something I think is ultra cool and will totally piss off my mommy, lol. Ha! I'm 38 and still rebelling....Next will be 2 piercings I want (nose and eyebrow). My dh is totally on-board w/my loc journey and my oldest dd is fascinated (she has Aspergers and will not be able to not touch, lol). My dh has long hair (below his shoulders) and always has, but has lately been considering cutting it short. It would be hilarious if he cut his short after all these years and I dread mine, lol.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#255 of 636 Old 07-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Welcome Chicky2! I've never used wax. I almost did, after reading at knotty boy that you had to start dreads with wax, but thankfully I read later about how yucky it is. I can't imagine having anything in my hair now. I like that it's just clean hair and nothing else.

I wanted dreads mostly because I thought they were amazingly beautiful, especially on women, and secondly because I have wavy thick dry frizzy hair that never looked like I wanted it too. I always wanted it long but hated combing it out every day.

#256 of 636 Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
I like that it's just clean hair and nothing else.

I wanted dreads mostly because I thought they were amazingly beautiful,
I told a friend I was dreading my hair and she said, "Ew, how yucky and dirty and stinky! Why would you do that?" Then we talked today and she said she'd love to have her opinion changed, so I'm kind of on the spot now, rofl!

ITA w/them being beautiful, esp. on women. I like them on men, too, but on women they are just so Earthy and beautiful.

I got mine all done! I can hardly believe I'm done. I have absolutely no regrets. I LOVE them! I am having a hard time believing all it took for me to feel so *me* was a hair do. This is sooooooooo me! Can anyone else identify w/that feeling? I did this at the best time possible, too. We had a tragic death here recently, and I really needed something.

I had hair down to my bra fastener. Now it is about 3" shorter. Will that shrink up more as it locks up? I left one tiny long braid to hang over my shoulder. I also left my bangs and will grow them out a bit more.

I'll have my kids count dreads later, but I'll bet there's at least 50.

Off to change my siggy....and search my oldest dd's craft box for cool beads and stuff.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#257 of 636 Old 07-21-2010, 11:40 PM

oh thats so excieting chicky2! I gotta do mine, Im worried Ill mess them up, I have like two I did but neglected them so they are braided and held together by a hair band. Sounds so lovely, I think I understand what you mean about finding a style for your hair that feels right, Im not even near done but it totally feels right.

Mamabear, you look full of wisdom!

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#258 of 636 Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 AM

Well, as my dd and I were wrapping hemp w/beads on it around some dreads, we redid a couple before it's too late. I have 42!

We put in some pretty wooden beads and hemp and some sea glass. I have some driftwood I'm going to dig out and see if it's the right size for a ponytail holder. I also have some fossilized salamander eggs that would be so cool if we can tie it in somehow...

I so have to get someone w/a working camera, lol!

#259 of 636 Old 07-22-2010, 05:26 AM

welcome chicky2
I never used wax or anything on mine

#260 of 636 Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Beautiful pictures MoonStarFalling and Mamabear. Thank you for sharing!

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#261 of 636 Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Ok, here's the back on day 2. They look much more "dready" now. I'll get a new pic asap.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dready%20mama/

#262 of 636 Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM

looking awesome chicky2

#263 of 636 Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Those are going to look awesome chicky!

I don't know what's up with my dreads but I swear they look so much fatter to me this week. Love being a pg dready mama.

#264 of 636 Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM

hello everyone, Chicky2 your new dreads look great and they will get even better. So, I'm almost to 5 months and my hair is crazy which is ok, but we went camping this past week and having these dreads made me crazy. with all the heat and swimming and them just looking like a big old mess right now. I'm really hoping they turn out ok, it seems to me when I look at others time lines their dreads look much neater at this time frame. But I don't really do much maintenance other then seperating and washing. Anyways, if I can find a picture or take one soon I will send it.. It would be nice for some encouragement.

:
#265 of 636 Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 PM

At 5 months I'm sure people couldn't even tell I had dreads. I probably just looked like I didn't brush my hair until about 9 months in.

#266 of 636 Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM

I found this thread from the "Moms with Dreads" thread on Diaper Swappers - I'm Jenn, crunchy mama to 7. I wanted to post about my dreads, which just turned 4 months old!

At one week old and 3 months old, comparing...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...207_456024.jpg

After finally rounding my tips...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ads3months.jpg

Taken last weekend, just because
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...uly2010036.jpg

Peace!
Jenn
#267 of 636 Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
At 5 months I'm sure people couldn't even tell I had dreads. I probably just looked like I didn't brush my hair until about 9 months in.
Yes! My hair was a hot mess for about a year. One morning, I woke up and was in love! I had some really funny looking pictures, for sure!

Dinan - Your hair is your own, and it's just not fair to you to compare yours to anyone else's, OK? Keep at it, sister.

Jenn - How did you round your ends?
#268 of 636 Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan6 View Post
I'm really hoping they turn out ok, it seems to me when I look at others time lines their dreads look much neater at this time frame. But I don't really do much maintenance other then seperating and washing. Anyways, if I can find a picture or take one soon I will send it.. It would be nice for some encouragement.
Well, I loved the other pics you posted! Everyone's hair is so different. I think yours look cute and spunky. I have a daughter w/Aspergers and the intense need to touch and handle things. She palmrolls my hair almost nightly and separates and backcombs if needed and uses sea salt spray. I'm quite sure that's helping mine along nicely. If it weren't for her, who knows what mine would look like, lol. My hair has also always gotten easily tangled. That's gotta help, too.

I like wearing mine up the most right now. I have long hair, so I have one dread wrapped in hemp w/a pretty green glass bead that I hand down above my breast. It was a bead that my grandfather had in a box of rocks and beads and stuff he use to work with. Most he found and polished himself. This one is not natural, but pretty. On the other side I have 3 pretty wooden beads on one dread and a tiny braid next to it I drape over my shoulder. Then I have a piece of white sea glass wrapped in wire w/a few other small beads on it that I put holding 2 of the top front dreads, like a barrette. Then I pull the whole mess up into a high ponytail held by a piece of driftwood (found by my grandfather) like MSF had in her pics. I totally had to copy I loved it so much!

I just love to decorate!

So I didn't piss off my mommy today, lol. She and my sister came for a visit and neither one of them said anything negative at all. One of them said something about my "Bo Derek look". I was shocked, and maybe even a bit disappointed, lol. How sick is that??! (that's really not why I got dreads, rofl)

Earthymama....very nice dreads! And nice pic of you and your kiddos, too!

#269 of 636 Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks ladies, this is such a journey that I really don't know what its going to look like in the end.. so all is well, I feel encouraged to go ahead and ignore the mess again for a few weeks or something like that.

:
#270 of 636 Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 PM
jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthymamawitch View Post
Wow! Your tips look amazing! It doesn't even look like you lost that much length from rounding them. I have to know exactly how you did this!!!

Tags
Natural Hair Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page