Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
happy new year!!!
#2 of 636 Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

well, it's a new year, and my dreadlocks are now 4 months old. they are for the most part locking up nice and tight, but i find that washing them is time consuming with kids (back in my kid free days, i could spend HOURS washing, drying, palmrolling, felting, etc; it was a whole part of my routine)! felting has def. helped in rounding up the stray hairs (in the rare instance i have the time to do it), though my 7 month old son is grabby and quick to make my dreads a frizzy wonder . it's hard to keep up sometimes, so i've resigned myself to doing very little maintenance, unlike in the past. they look nice, though, so i'm not complaining!

how is everyone else doing?
#3 of 636 Old 01-03-2010, 04:45 PM

I have a hard time making time to do maintenance. I have lots of crazy loops and a bunch of loose hair at the scalp. DH promised to help sew it in this week. I'm also looking at dying them red again this week. I'll be glad to have some more uniform color.

We've been on the road for three months and it's been fun finding things to make beads out of. DH made me a piece from some driftwood we found on the west coast. They're such nice reminders of places we've been.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 636 Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 AM

Mine are almost three months old. I don't know how they're doing since I've never really been around anyone with dreads for more than a few minutes. I'd like a mentor!

The only thing I do is rip them apart after I wash them. I didn't do a whole lot of backcombing initially, so I think they have a long way to do. The thinner ones unravel still. Some of the thicker ones are getting tighter, though. The hair on the bottom of my head is barely knotting up at all. It is an interesting process!

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#5 of 636 Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Mine are 4ish months old, and still have 1 more to backcomb in. That will make 21, I had a friend count for me yesterday :P .The two I put in last week not counting my dreads are locking up wonderfully. I have some wispy hair throughout(how did I miss it all?) but I love my hair now. I love wearing a ponytail and looking put together, and I love wearing it down and feeling primitive. Next step is definately beads,soon! The cool thing is that all the naysayers and conservatives at the least concur it suits me, and alot of them said they actually like it! One girl at my church has approached me to put hers in, but the youth pastors have stepped in and asked my help in having her wait a bit. I sent her to picture searching at knotty boy and dreadhead and she is determined to have it done, but willing to wait until school is over. She will look beautiful dreaded!

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#6 of 636 Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Mine are approaching their 9th month. I lurve them. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Unfortunately, I have arthiritis in my wrist & shoulders so can't do as much rolling and other maintenance as I'd like but I am fortunate to have a local salon (for a fee of course) and dready moms willing to help out.

I tried to count mine, just did half my head and got 33, so I think I am in the 50 -70 range. I have a ton o'hair and many of my dread are on the small side (pencil to sharpie sized) which works for me.

Need to get some current picture taken.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#7 of 636 Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Hi

I've decided to take the plunge and begin the patient process of allowing my hair to loc. At first I thought I'd backcomb and palmroll them in(no wax!). But I think allowing my hair to do the process on it's own feels right for me.

I'm not usually a patient person, this will be a challenge. I have a few reasons for wanting this but I think the most important one to me, is to let go of trying to be someone I'm not. To let the real me show. To let go of caring what others think.

I have barely begun, I'm on day 3 of no brushing. And have stopped using shampoo and conditioner in favor of baking soda water wash and vinegar water rinse(my hair feels so much cleaner too!). As my locs start forming I will 'rip' them apart to keep them from forming one huge loc!

I am here for support and advice from other lovely loced ladies

Jenny
#8 of 636 Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM

Hi ladies, I will try to keep this short. I have been really thinking of what I want to ask but it always ends up a very long story. So I have been lurking for over a year and always wanted to get dreads but lately its all I think about. It seems to fit where I am in life, Im really trying to be myself and not what society thinks is beautiful. But that has been a huge struggle. I came from a home where my mother and grand mother have never left the house without spending hours washing, drying, curling, teasing, spraying their hair, fulll face of makeup and ironing every piece of clothing (even tshirts!) And I also realized the other day that I have never been told I was beautiful without spending hours getting dressed. So Im fine with that now. I stopped wearing makup the last few years and have recently stoped shaving as well. That has been wonderful and not so embarassing since dh is deployed for six months, I feel like I can get used to it without worring about his reaction. But the reactions my family has expressed has been almost hurtful. My mother says Im manly and its just gross. And if I get dreads mine and my husband's family will not be accepting. It doesnt help that I live in the Bible Belt of the south! So Im a little worried about the reaction I will get. My dd had dreads last year and I brushed them out because I was recieving so many nasty comments.

Also I am a midwifery student and hoping to get an apprenticeship in about a year and Im worried that dreads will limit my options. There are only 2 midwives in a two hour drive of my home.

It comes down to me being worried about the reaction of others. Im a pretty plain person but people dont see that. Im kindof the wierd-o of town because I not only had a baby naturally but at my house also, and I breastfeed a toddler. I have had people tell my mother they want to meet me because I sound so weird. DH doesnt like the no shavign or dreads but he said he loves me and wants me to be happy. We have both made a lot of changes in our lives since we have been married and we are closer than ever so I dont see getting dreads as being a problem. He will probably tease me and think is rediculous but Im sure he will help me palm roll them every night

Ok, that turned out really long, but I would love to hear the emotional process of getting your dreads. Im sorry if this is totally rediculous, Im just trying to figure things out. Thanks ladies, I really enjoy reading all the posts!
#9 of 636 Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM

(((hram))) I just hear so much sadness in your post and it sucks that others think they should have any say in how YOU look.
I saw a tee shirt at my husband's tattoo studio that said something to the effect of tattoos being windows to the soul...you either see something special shining through or are so focused on what is on the outside that it is an armor to keep you out. Dreads definetly do the same thing! People either see that you are natural and beautiful the way you were made, or they automatically see what they want and you know to use more care around allowing them in. I see it as a sort of radar...
I am also in the Bible Belt, and it is so funny to me to constantly hear how my husband and I don't look like "normal" christians! I guess I get a kick out of weird things though .
So that was a longish post about how I just think that dreads are a wonderful form of self expression. I used to feel slightly rebellious with some things but that was sorta a negative feeling to me and I didn't like it so I try not to feel that way anymore. It is more like a positive statement about how society doesn't make my rules instead of me breaking theirs...it makes sense in my mind lol.

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#10 of 636 Old 01-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Thank you so much wendybird. I have been such an emotional wreck the last two days, just really missing my husband. He is the one who reminds me that I make the decisions for myself and shouldnt let other people infuence me.

"It is more like a positive statement about how society doesn't make my rules instead of me breaking theirs...it makes sense in my mind lol. "

This is my new quote to live by! Thank you!
#11 of 636 Old 01-09-2010, 04:16 PM

The process of letting go of what other people think was one of my goals/challenges. I wore a bandanna the first several months because it took a while for me to get comfortable with how people might react. Where I was living you just never saw anyone with dreadlocks (or hairy legs). I was at a point in life where I needed to be my own person and it took courage. It was a confidence boost to gradually become more and more comfortable with the way I was not worrying about what other people thought of it! It took a year or more but now I don't think twice about going out with my dreads down and a skirt on!

We have traveled all over the US and I love experiencing the different cultures. By far the stares and comments were very noticeable in Texas of all places. I was surprised. wendybird we were in OK for a while and they were just the nicest people by far. We were warned before we got there but I was really pleased.

ETA: if anyone is in Florida and knows of a place to get good maintenance done let me know. I'm considering going to dollylocks studio.

#12 of 636 Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM

Ok, so I really am not very patient. I decided that my hair needed a jump start to the locking process. Me and dh twist and ripped my hair into small thin sections. I let my hair section itself pretty much(I haven't combed in over a week). This is how I look! It really doesn't look like dreads yet, buy I'll leave them be and let them morph into beautiful locs

Jenny

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/...eat=directlink

PS. If the links aren't working let me know, I suck at adding pics.
#13 of 636 Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaria View Post
PS. If the links aren't working let me know, I suck at adding pics.
Here are your pix, Jenny.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FMMQcI_1Lvg/S0...6/IMG_0252.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FMMQcI_1Lvg/S0...6/IMG_0255.JPG

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#14 of 636 Old 01-14-2010, 06:14 PM

Jenny you look awesome. I started out with some twist and rip in small sections and they matured just great. I had a lot of them combine naturally so I have a good number of thicker dreads now (like 35).

#15 of 636 Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Thank you Indigo for your help!! I really need to get handier at adding pics and links.

Good to hear they should mature into lovely dreads moonstarfalling I keep telling myself they will cause right now it's all on faith. Just a note, I had my dd in May and lost half my hair(as usual), so now I have a whole head of fuzzy regrowth about 1/2 inch long. Will this lock into my dreads do you think? I did my dreads so thin because I know I only have about half the hair I usually do. Thanks

Jenny
#16 of 636 Old 01-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Oh, and can I be so cheeky to ask to see some pics of your guys' dreads?
#17 of 636 Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 PM

I"m subbing
I had dreads for over a yr and a half, and then pregnancy and super sensitivity led me to take them out a couple of months ago. I couldn't stand it though, i missed them and didn't feel like me, so i just finished putting them back in this evening!

I feel much better now

Hopefully my hair loss after this birth won't affect them too much

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#18 of 636 Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 AM

Jenny, they are so cute! They're going to look great when they mature.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#19 of 636 Old 01-16-2010, 05:29 PM

That makes sense Jenny. That extra growth coming in should combine and make them thicker. I have a whole bunch of growth that's about 4 inches long and I'm trying to get it to combine w/ the dreads but I'm afraid I'm failing at that! I need to figure something out because I'm getting sick of being a fuzzy head.

Here is a pic from December. The ends were wet.

katbomumof3 and welcome!

#20 of 636 Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 PM

Thanks Narn Moonstarfalling, loved seeing the pic of your dreads they are so lovely and thick. You don't look like you have fuzzy head at all, you should see my head right now! I haven't done too much since the initial twist and ripping. I had to redo about 4 that fell out altogether. And at the roots and the very ends they are not knotted. I'm still having faith that my hair is just going through the process and I will have real dreadlocks in the future. Meanwhile I'm getting used to my hair kind of looking like crap, I can't believe I'm allowing this. It feels kind of good

Jenny
#21 of 636 Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM

It takes time but you'll love it. It wasn't until about the 9 month mark that my hair really looked like dreads. I am so happy I waited it out it was a fun couple years and still my hair is changing all the time. Loops come and go, the ends change, some get fatter or longer than their friends. In a year they're going to be so much longer, I'm really excited for that!

#22 of 636 Old 01-21-2010, 05:11 AM

happy new year dready mamas
i just got home from vacation in new zealand, and it took me a while to find you all.
my dreads are now 14 years old, and mostly past my knees. you can catch up on my journey on my blog http://majikfaerie.com if you're bored enough

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#23 of 636 Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 AM

Well, it's been a couple of weeks now since I've twisted and ripped sections of hair and about 3 weeks since I've stopped brushing. This is such a loooong slow process...they still don't look very dready...just a frizzy mess on my head. This really is going to look good one day, right...?

Majikfaerie...I love looking at the pics on your blog. You and your daughter are beautiful souls. 14 years is a long time to have locks, do you think you'll ever cut them?

This whole journey has prompted me to think about my body hair as well. I have stopped all shaving for the time being. I haven't seen my armpit hair since I was about 15(I started shaving earlier but had longer lapses than now). I have been curious as to what I look like au naturel, and I'm going to find out. My husband isn't too enthusiastic about this venture...but at least it's winter

Jenny
#24 of 636 Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 PM

thanks lunaria, and yay for your journey! have you joined the hairy mamas tribe as well?

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#25 of 636 Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM

I haven't joined the hairy mamas tribe yet, but I guess I should eh? I am getting to be a hairier mama by the day

Jenny
#26 of 636 Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM

I stopped shaving my pits years ago. I tried doing it a year ago and OMG it is so incredibly uncomfortable! LOL I don't think I will ever try that again! Maybe you will get hooked too Jenny.

#27 of 636 Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Hi Dreadie ladies!
I am here...My dreads are about a year and a half old and locking up nicely. & They are by far the easiest hairstyle I've ever had!
#28 of 636 Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM

Hi PaisleyStar!

I have a few pics to share. I have two new trinkets. A piece of driftwood we found on an Oregon beach that DH made into a bead using copper wire. Also in the pic; I found a shell with a hole on the beach last week in Florida.

I discovered a good use for some of the driftwood we picked up on the Oregon and California coasts. Large ponytail holder and a small one. I just loop an elastic around each end. I love putting natural wood in my hair.

You can see that I dyed my hair red last week. DH spent an hour putting two different colors of red on my locs. It is such a pain to dye dreads! They got a little fried so I did some store bought moisturizer. It didn't help. I decided to add back some protein by putting eggs on. It was hard to wash all the egg out but it did help make them soft again. After a few days the frizz died down and they look great now! I've done some palm rolling in the shower and it's helped tighten and lock in some stray hairs.

#29 of 636 Old 01-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
Large ponytail holder and a small one.
I LOVE these!!!

So I'm subbing. Again.
I just got dreads put in for the third time. Let's hope this time, it's a charm.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#30 of 636 Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 PM

^ 3 is a magic number, you know!

Tags
Natural Hair Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page