Brown age spots--does anything really work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 41 and over the past few years, I have developed nasty brown age spots on my face. I also have brown discoloration above my lips that looks like a mustache. Clearly, this is not a look that I am going for!

I am not a great looking lady, but at least I always had really nice skin. I am just mortified by this. Make up doesn't cover it unless I really slather it on, but I hate that look, too.

I have researched some products online, but hate to waste money. Does anything really work? I went to a dermatologist a few years ago, but she kind of blew me off . . . I'm not very good with doctors, so maybe I didn't make clear how much it bothered me.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM

I have lightened/got rid of some brown spots from scars by using Kojic Acid in products. I bought a homemade product off of Ebay w/papaya and kojic acid in it. It works. You have to dab it only on the darkened area though. I think it's from a mushroom extract. It's better than hydroquinone or whatever it's called. GL!

Oh and putting sunscreen on the darkened areas when in the sun, eventually the rest of my face evens out. This part is important, because any darkened area will only get darker in the sun no matter what your putting on it at home

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#3 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Well firstly I would suggest using a sunscreen that can protect your skin from the sun. The sun can also cause age spots. I have a thread called Make up Counter- Cosmetic Corner. There I speak about make up primer which can help also with skin imperfection.. I would advise you to go to a cosmetic store or counter and ask a sales representative on which cream you can use to remove age spots and also contains sunscreen benefits in the product. In addition you do not want anything thats to harsh for your face.

Worlds Best Mom
#4 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 PM

Reviva makes one with kojic acid.
#5 of 8 Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 AM

Could it be melasma?

Melasma is caused by adrenal fatigue, or so I've read. Apparently people have healed their adrenal glands, and the melasma has gone away.
#6 of 8 Old 01-29-2010, 02:51 AM

I'll be 41 in a couple months and started getting one on my face as well. Blech. Now first my disclaimer. I take horrible care of my skin. I basically never wear liquid foundation except maybe once a year but always wear a powder foundation combo thing. The only time I wash my face is in the shower with regular soap. End disclaimer. One thing that I've noticed though, which seems rather odd to me at least, is that one the occasions where I actually take care of my face, do the whole facial scrub, cleanse, etc., it gets significantly lighter to the point where it can easily be covered by concealer. It's not a "fix" but maybe that will help a little until you do find something that works?
#7 of 8 Old 01-30-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
I'll be 41 in a couple months and started getting one on my face as well. Blech. Now first my disclaimer. I take horrible care of my skin. I basically never wear liquid foundation except maybe once a year but always wear a powder foundation combo thing. The only time I wash my face is in the shower with regular soap. End disclaimer. One thing that I've noticed though, which seems rather odd to me at least, is that one the occasions where I actually take care of my face, do the whole facial scrub, cleanse, etc., it gets significantly lighter to the point where it can easily be covered by concealer. It's not a "fix" but maybe that will help a little until you do find something that works?
OMG, that is so true--I have noticed that, too.
#8 of 8 Old 01-30-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'll look into the kojic acid--never heard of that before.

FTR--I do use sunscreen on my face every day--just wish I had done that back in my teens and 20s!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page