cloth menstrual pad recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am fixin' to make the switch to cloth menstrual pads...
I could make 'em myself, but I'd rather try the pro version first! Any recommendations? I've seen online glad rags and schoon... Are these good? What about a really good WAHM version? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM

In terms of a TERRIFIC WAHM pad, I would hands down say Fussy Butt. Christy makes some great pads in tons of sizes and gorgeous colors. They really are wonderful. That would be my absolute first choice.

Other pads, that I really like are the Mommy's Touch brocade pads. Beautiful and absorbent.

You didn't mention Lunapads. They are super popular as well.

Welcome to the other side. Glad you made the switch.

WAHM to three, all natural, organic and sports-obsessed boys:. MDC7 for 7% off at www.cottontailbaby.com or www.mamaclothonline.com for all your cloth diapering and natural family living needs:
Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 PM

I'm a big fan of Homestead Emporium pads. They are comfy, work well, and look lovely too.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 PM

+1 for Lunapads.

I have only tried a couple of other brands though.

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 AM

I Lunapads too. They last forever.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 PM

I have only ever tried Gladrags. I love them and would suggest them to anyone. I have only ever had one pad not work out, and that was a broken snap. I am sure they would have replaced it but I didn't bother.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
a couple of days ago party in my pants was sending one out free.

oh! still are. i would get one of these to test it out, then order from a member here who makes them. http://partypantspads.com/shop/sale

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Another vote for Homestead Emporium! I tried a few different brands from etsy/hyena cart, and loved Homestead Emporium the best. I placed a large custom order with her, and now that I've used them for several months, I'm very happy with my decision!

Cristina
CPST and mom to Toby 6/06 and Caleb 8/09
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
I'm a big fan of Homestead Emporium pads. They are comfy, work well, and look lovely too.
this w.o question.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 03-10-2010, 02:02 PM

There are sites specifically dedicated to reviews on diapers, cloth pads, etc. You can read a ton of reviews and ratings there.
For example The Diaperpin
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like new moon pads. inexpensive, sturdy, no wings, and nothing complicated. good customer service too

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 PM

I LOVE Party in my Pants. I wanted an AIO pad that was thin and didn't require layers. These are great! Bit expensive, but so far they are the only ones I like. The Cotton type are better then the flannel in my opinion because the don't pill after lots of use.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Another vote for Fussy Butt!

Mommy to DS (4)
Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 PM

Imse Vimse. I don't like the idea of all that color down there...so I like that they are unbleached organic cotton. Very nice!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 PM

Perfect timing! I'm trying to convince my brain to try out mama cloth. I've found these, and they are my favorite in terms of looks so far. Advice? Good price, do they look like quality? The PIMP looked nice too, however they're a bit more expensive both in cost and shipping.
Actual Pack I'm looking at
General Store

Am I better off going with just the PIMP due to the reviews? If it matters... I'm about 120lbs, have a fairly light flow. I generally use pads only on days I'm sitting at home, or if I'm at the end of my flow, but still a bit too heavy for just a liner. How do cloth liners compare to regular pantyliners? Maybe I'd be better off with them instead? TMI- but I hate the feel of the blood actually coming out, so generally if there's a significant flow at all, I'll switch to tampons. For disposable pads right now I use the lightest, thinnest ones available without them actually being liners.

So much info, but it feels like such a big decision!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
1. Good price, do they look like quality?
2. How do cloth liners compare to regular pantyliners?
3.TMI- but I hate the feel of the blood actually coming out, so generally if there's a significant flow at all, I'll switch to tampons.
4. For disposable pads right now I use the lightest, thinnest ones available without them actually being liners.
5. So much info, but it feels like such a big decision!
1. They look very nice for flannel/PUL pads. Because of material cost flannel and PUL pads will most likely be your cheapest option (materials other than conventional cotton for the top and core layers and PUL for the barrier layer are often 2-4 times more expensive so the retail price would be higher as well)

2. more comfortable of course. depending on material used they can be as thin as disposable without sacrificing absorbency

3. You may be more comfortable with a top layer that wicks moisture away from you such as bamboo velour (if you want a natural material) or minkee or micro fleece (if you want synthetic). Cotton flannel tends to feel soggy more easily IMO.

4. Depending on what materials you choose you can have something very absorbent and very thin in cloth as well

5. It is! A good pad is a joy to own for years. A bad pad is a pain in the rear. lol Don't invest in a big stash of all the same kind. Just like cloth diapers what you think you might like, might not be what you really love in the end. Just try a few different kinds and go from there.

I used disposables after my first birth and had an allergic reaction to them. It was awful. Messed up my whole baby moon to be in such discomfort. After my second baby I used cloth and what a difference!

You might come to cloth for the environment but I bet you'll stick with it for the comfort.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
I've found these, and they are my favorite in terms of looks so far. Advice? Good price, do they look like quality?
As PP mentioned flannel-topped, PUL-backed pads tend to be the least expensive which is a plus. On the flip side many women find that waterproof fleece backing makes them much less sweaty than PUL. Also, I'm not sure how flannel wears over time, it might get pilly after being washed a lot? But if you just want to try a few and see how they are that might be a good strategy. I wouldn't invest in a lot without trying them first because of these concerns.

Quote:
I generally use pads only on days I'm sitting at home, or if I'm at the end of my flow, but still a bit too heavy for just a liner. How do cloth liners compare to regular pantyliners? Maybe I'd be better off with them instead? TMI- but I hate the feel of the blood actually coming out, so generally if there's a significant flow at all, I'll switch to tampons. For disposable pads right now I use the lightest, thinnest ones available without them actually being liners.
I know what you mean about that yucky feeling - I hate it too. I use a DivaCup (previously used tampons) to prevent it. I use cloth liners (pantywraps from HE as mentioned above) for backup with the cup, and for the beginning/end when my flow is very light I use the "light" cloth pads which have a bit more absorbency. Usually with the cup the liner doesn't actually get anything on it (unless there's a leak emergency) so it doesn't need much absorbency.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 PM

I found the ones I'm going with!! They're minkee, waterproofed 'with' zorb, super cute colors, and they're actually made by a friend of the family. I just messaged her and then hopefully put an order in. I'm so excited!
Treehugger
They're $9, which is more than I thought I'd spend, but since they're in my city, no shipping, and they're minkee-- which I never realized doesn't stain apparently. Bonus!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 03-21-2010, 02:34 PM

I got a bunch from this WAHM who sells on etsy and was loving them until I ended up pregnant. LOL http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladybug9753 I've bought her panty liners, pads with PUL in them, and the pads with inserts. I really like all of them and had used them for about 6 months and they are holding up well. She ships really fast, too.

I've also bought some from this store: http://manymoonsalternatives.com/index.php. They have really nice overnight/PP sized ones and are so soft! Also have been using for about 6 months and they hold up well and have not stained, despite being unbleached cotton with no print. They do have some prints, but I went for the organic cotton, which unfortunately, I do not see on their site right now. It's a Canadian store, but they ship to the US and the shipping was pretty inexpensive.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
Old 03-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Subbing!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 PM

I've tried Happy Heiny with fleece, Swaddlebees bamboo velour, Swaddlebees with zorb, Party in my pants liner, regular, queen and Sorella luna cotton.

Happy heiny is pretty good -- gets twisted but is very absorbent and feels dry

The zorb feels synthetic and I really don't like it during summer.

Don't like bamboo or cotton -- feel real wet when wet

Love party in my pants queen (heavy flow). Regular would be great for the poster with light flow. I don't find them uncomfortable at all when wet. They don't pill, two prints faded a bit when I added bleach to wash. fit is great. Very absorbent.

LOVE LOVE swaddlebees little pouch for on-the-go.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:04 PM

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Old 03-22-2010, 01:08 PM

I really like www.crimsonmoonpads.com

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Just a little reminder:
Quote:
Advertising in discussion threads is strictly prohibited. Do not post to advertise your product, business, website or blog or in any other manner from which you would financially benefit. Advertising in signatures is only permitted with a Signature Advertising Package. Blogs linked in signatures may not contain advertising/promotion without a Signature Advertising Package. Information about acceptable board advertising may be obtained by contacting [email protected]. MDC sales and fundraising information may be posted by administrators, moderators and designated members. Members may not use their business or product names as a username.
http://www.mothering.com/boardsignatures

And

Quote:
Do not post or start a thread to discuss member behavior or statements of members made in other threads or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreiberwriter View Post
The zorb feels synthetic and I really don't like it during summer.
I am pretty sure the zorb is supposed to be sandwiched in between natural materials. It's not supposed to be the only absorbent layer.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Ok, so I'm sick of stupid disposable pads, and I can't use tampons since my ds was born. So....I'm trying mama cloth!

I ordered the free one off party in my pants. I really hope I like it!!!

The one thing I REALLY hate about disposable pads are that I seem to get super sweaty b/c they are synthetic - does mama cloth eliminate that? Especially in the summer - its hot and humid where I live.

Umm...any other random advice for a mama cloth newbie?? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I figured better to do that than start a new one
Old 03-31-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
The one thing I REALLY hate about disposable pads are that I seem to get super sweaty b/c they are synthetic - does mama cloth eliminate that? Especially in the summer - its hot and humid where I live.
It will probably depend on the material. PUL is waterproof but it's not breathable so if your leak barrier fabric is something like PUL then it's going to feel sweater than for example a waterproof but breathable fleece like Windpro.
Of course it also depends on how thick everything is.
If you got a bunch of stuff in your underpants it's going to get hot more easily than with a thinner but more absorbent material
Hope you enjoy your venture into cloth pads! A great pad is a joy to have for years. A bad pad is a pain in the rear.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 PM

I got mine today and I am in looooooovvveee. I've seriously never been so excited for AF before. I have a feeling the material will feel sooooo much less 'sweaty' and gross than the plasticy part that tops regular pads. This one is soft, and so although it may get hot, I don't anticipate the same sticky yuckiness. They're definately thicker than I'm used to-- however, again because of the material, I feel like I can sit here and wear them longer without having to keep shifting and adjusting. yay!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 AM

After my lastbirth I tried some homemadepads, with snaps, from a pattern I found on line. I found them to be very shifty and inneffective. I use pads with sticky backs and they don't shift so are there any brands that hold still? Also, I am a large woman with a heavy flow so whatbrands cover that? I would love to make the switch butI can't afford to shop around tooo much.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 AM

I can't tell you how much I love these:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Popples

The design is brilliant, and she offers different sizes. Cute fabrics, too, and so soft and cozy.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

User Tag List