Homemade Detangling Spray? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my daughter has easily (constantly) tangled hair. We are giving way too much money to Johnsons & Johnsons. I'm sure that recipes have been posted on MDC for detangling spray, but was wondering if those who make their own could post here so it's all in one place? TIA!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 PM

I have been wondering this same thing! I am so curious if just mixing some condintioner and water would do the trick. J&J no more tangles is ridiculously priced. My DH found an off-brand at the dollar store ... haven't tried it yet, though.
#3 of 9 Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just mix water and a little squirt of conditioner in a spray bottle and it works fine for me. Both my DDs have hair that gets tangled very easily, so it's something we use daily.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 9 Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 AM

I went through that stuff so much in high school for my crazy hair, but now i have dreads, and husband doesn't use conditioner. so when DS hair started to get long i started buying the J&J stuff. but then read in "Super Baby Food" that take about a TBS of conditioner and fill the rest of the bottle with water (the old J&J pump bottle) and shake. I get the suave (for only .74 this week on sale) conditioner and it lasts for almost a year!!!! i find it works just as well. or you can put a lil dab of conditioner when you get out of the tub and rub it in. But i find the other way last longer and works better.

dreadlock mom to Israel 01/23/07bikenew.gif & Titus 07/10/09kid.gif

#5 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 PM

I have a friend who uses a little bit of apple cider vinegar and EO in a spray bottle and says it works great.

I have considered trying it on my LO, I think I am going to give it a try after her nap. I'll let you know...

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#6 of 9 Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
I have a friend who uses a little bit of apple cider vinegar and EO in a spray bottle and says it works great.

I have considered trying it on my LO, I think I am going to give it a try after her nap. I'll let you know...

That's what we use. Stinks to high heaven, but once the hair dries it doesn't stink anymore.
#7 of 9 Old 02-27-2010, 12:00 AM

^that is what I have used as well and it does work well. It does stink but once it dries it doesn't really smell.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#8 of 9 Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post

Does EO = essential oil?
I've heard apple cider vinegar is good for hair.
I use detangler for both my children...this is good to know about.
I just bought another bottle this week, maybe no more!
#9 of 9 Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Yes EO= Essential Oil.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page