need hair color advice...going natural - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I hope that I am posting this in the right place.

For many years I highlighted/bleached my dark ash blonde hair to make it a much lighter blonde. I'm tired of putting chemicals on my head, so I haven't highlighted it since last summer.

I now have about 3-4 inches of my natural color at the roots, with the rest of my hair (just past shoulders) a much lighter blonde. It looks terrible and I don't know what to do with it. I don't want to highlight it anymore, but I don't want to cut it all off that short either.

Are there any natural dyes (like maybe henna?) that I could find a dark ash blonde shade so that I could dye the light parts of my hair to match the roots or use for all-over low-lights?

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#2 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out that there are organic hair salons. Perhaps google that along with your city and see what you come up with. I live in a...hmm...less than progressive area, i think, and we have two.
#3 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I'm in Alabama in a really not progressive town myself, but I will look into it. Thanks, amber913!

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#4 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Do you have an Aveda salon?

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#5 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 PM

What I did was get my hair dyed "one last time." I had the colorist match the dye to my natural color the best she could. It looked great and you could barely tell the difference between my colored hair and my natural hair when it grew out...
#6 of 9 Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koofie View Post
What I did was get my hair dyed "one last time." I had the colorist match the dye to my natural color the best she could. It looked great and you could barely tell the difference between my colored hair and my natural hair when it grew out...
I am kind of liking Koofie's idea. You should try what she said. Find a shade that is near to your hair color and for one last time, just dye it. At least when your hair grows out it will blend naturally with the rest of hair you dyed.

Worlds Best Mom
#7 of 9 Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 PM

i'm in the process on growing my natural colour as well. im 2 years into it and i have about 4 inches left of dyed hair. i had the same idea as you so i picked up a semi-permanent colour close to my natural, but it changed it to be sooo much lighter than my natural( sounds like yours), it's just a word of warning that you might be better off keeping it the way it is and trim the dyed hair off frequently...it's hard but i know its worth it...im so glad im going natural

Shawna young single liquid gold feedin intactlactivist co-sleepin mama to my mixed baby boy Carter Jesse (aug 26th 09)
#8 of 9 Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 AM

i like the idea of getting the old color dyed to match your new growth, if you can afford it. since you don't have crazy colored new growth, that'd be the easiest fix. i am growing out my grey right now, and have about 4 inches of salt and pepper brown and 8 inches of dyed brown. im using a semi permanent dye every month to blend the two until the salt and pepper is long enough to be an actual hairstyle that i like
good luck!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#9 of 9 Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM

OP, I'm in the same boat exactly, but I am too scared to dye it "one last time". Every time I get color I love it...for a while. Then regret it big time. I don't know if a colorist could exactly color-match my natural shade.

Highlights are such a racket. They cost soooo much and you have to get them redone so often. Gah! I am done! A few years ago I went totally natural and had a whole head of natural color hair. Then I got married and redid my highlights for the wedding. Ugh! Why-oh-why?!?!

p.s. I'm also growing out my super-short pregnancy haircut, because I don't have time to get it trimmed every 4 weeks! I'm even cutting my own bangs now, just to avoid the trip out. Sorry to get so OT on you.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page