How often do you wash your hair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering how often you wash your hair? I took a poll of the females in my life and it seems like everyone washes their hair at least every other day, if not every day.

I was shocked because I usually go four days. Unless I get obviously sweaty or something.

I am just curious as to what sayeth the people on MDC? Since most of the people in my life are really mainstream. I wonder if that makes a difference at all? Seeing as I can see it as a resource/water issue, because it does seem wasteful to do it every day.

Just curious

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#2 of 31 Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
prolly once a week. it isnt great for your hair to wash it every day with the detergents most people call shampoo. it just strips everything good from your hair. along with the water issues.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 31 Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM

I haven't used shampoo in years. I do a CO (conditioner only) wash every 2-3 days. If I go longer, my scalp gets dry and itchy.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#4 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 AM

Every three days. I use a great shampoo by Aubrey with Green Tea (it is for greasy hair I think). But if I had to go to work every day I'd probably wash it more often.
#5 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Once a week..... but I have dreads

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#6 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 PM

I rinse my hair every other day and wash it (with shampoo), about every three days. I would probably wash it less, but I work in a zoo and things can get pretty smelly up there.....

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#7 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 PM

hiya op, how come your only asking the "females"? and not the males?

just curious.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#8 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 PM

i wash 2-3 times a week, i either have it in a ponytail or braided so it doesnt need as much washing. when i was working i washed it every day or every other day because of the products and to keep it fresh smelling and looking

Shawna young single liquid gold feedin intactlactivist co-sleepin mama to my mixed baby boy Carter Jesse (aug 26th 09)
#9 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
hiya op, how come your only asking the "females"? and not the males?

just curious.
All of my coworkers are female, so that is why I wrote that. I did ask my Dad but he doesn't actually have any hair I don't really have any males in my life right now other than him, so I worded it that way.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#10 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 02:42 AM

I've always washed my hair every day and just recently started doing a conditioner only day in between shampooing. I tried a couple of times going no poo in several different ways and none of them worked (I gave it lots of time and tried differing variations - my hair was always gross).

IRL, I only know one person who goes more than one or two days at most in between shampooing and she has dreads. Maybe I just live in a mainstream area as well?
#11 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 03:50 AM

Every 2-3 days for me. I have short hair and tend to play with it a lot with my hands, so I suspect I'm transferring a lot of gunk from my hands onto it.
#12 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
All of my coworkers are female, so that is why I wrote that. I did ask my Dad but he doesn't actually have any hair I don't really have any males in my life right now other than him, so I worded it that way.
thanks! i was super curious. i had all these reasons in mind like ohhhhh she is going to be asking about men in another thread, or maybe women wash their hair more then men, or....

#13 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 12:32 PM

I'm black, so probably not what you're looking for, but I cowash (conditioner only wash) my hair every night before bed and shampoo it twice a month. For my family, that is EXTREMELY frequent. My mom, grandma, and aunt wash their hair every two weeks.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#14 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 12:51 PM
2xy

I usually wash every other day....maybe will stretch to a third day if my hair still looks okay. My hair is very fine and tends to get oily, so it can look gross. Plus, I work in a restaurant and don't like the restaurant-stink lingering in my hair. Sometimes I just rinse it out, but that doesn't work very well if there's hairspray or anything in it.
#15 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
I'm black, so probably not what you're looking for, but I cowash (conditioner only wash) my hair every night before bed and shampoo it twice a month. For my family, that is EXTREMELY frequent. My mom, grandma, and aunt wash their hair every two weeks.
i'm white, or rather have caucasian hair and appearance, and i prolly wash my hair every two weeks. more frequently then that and i am a mess. with dry broken hair.

i do believe in the inclusion of all people

#16 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
thanks! i was super curious. i had all these reasons in mind like ohhhhh she is going to be asking about men in another thread, or maybe women wash their hair more then men, or....
I am totally fine to ask men, I just don't know any My STBX washed his every single day. He had nice hair. But I don't have any other men to compare him too

But my Dad does wash his head with shampoo daily, for the record. But I don't count that really as hair washing, just scalp washing

#17 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 PM

my dad hasn't washed his hair daily since his mama was giving him baths. in person i do not know a single person who washes their hair daily. i cannot imagine how many chemicals, how much water, time, etc. are being used to do that.

geeze, that came out a little judgmental, and not how i meant it. for us, it works better and smoother, is better for our hair skin, environment and economically better to shampoo only e.o. week.

#18 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Before I had a husband and kids it was every single day. Now, not so much. Maybe once a week or every other week. Just depends on what it looks like when I think about it. I don't use any hair care products so there isn't really anything to wash out of it every day.
#19 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I do conditioner only 2-3 times a week. I use a little shampoo on my scalp when things get oily, but that's only once or twice a month. I've never had a very oily scalp, when I stopped using shampoo, I was amazed at how nice and unfrizzy my hair was!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#20 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 PM

I have to wash mine every other day or else my hair is greasy and my scalp is itchy.

This thread just reminded me though...remember on the old black and white tv shows when a young woman would get asked out on a date (or something) and she would say something like, "I can't go out tonight, I have to wash my hair." Like hairwashing was this big event that was scheduled. I just wonder at what point it all changed to an everyday occurrence--for many people.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#21 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 PM

I wash 1-2 times a week but massage my scalp and rise well with water in the shower on the days I don't wash.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#22 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 PM

wash and condition 4-5x/week.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#23 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM

Once a month
#24 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 PM

I had a very oily scalp pre-pregnancy. Once I got preggo, it wasn't oily at all. I seriously only showered and washed my hair once a week, and I wasn't stinky, and my hair didn't get greasy. Ever.

Now that DS is almost three, my hair is starting to get a bit oily again, but I still only wash about every 4-5 days. It will start to get a bit oily at the roots by then, but I just put it all back in a ponytail at that point and it looks just fine. I usually only wash once my scalp starts getting itchy.

I do like the idea of conditioner only. I have heard of that and am now wondering if I that would work for my hair. It does tend to get dry, and shampoo seems to make it flyaway and frizzy. Hmmm....

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#25 of 31 Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I was a teenager I washed once/week, now it`s every other day. My hair did look much nicer back then..
Just curious: why is it better to use conditioner only?

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#26 of 31 Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 AM

I'm pretty sure there's a no-poo thread somewhere here that explains the horrors of what's in (most) shampoo, but I stay away from it because it strips all the oils from my hair and dries my scalp out horribly. I am biracial and have tight curls with ends prone to being dried and frizzy----my hair needs all the natural oils is can get.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#27 of 31 Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 AM

My hair is water only, with VERY infrequent conditioner washes, so by a lot of people's standards, my hair hasn't been WASHED persay in ummmm lets see I last shampoo in june? july? over 6 months.

It might not work for everyone, and many people have a 2 month greasy transition period (I didn't really, my hair is so dry).

I do water wash my hair oh, at least once a week, and get it wet more often (I only comb my hair wet, because it tangles less that way). When I wash my hair, I massage the scalp under the water, and make sure it gets nice and clean. I also rub the natural hair oils through my hair with hands and a boar bristle brush.

also, if my hair is smelly, (I pay very close attention to this, I don't want smelly hair), I will condition only wash. This is needed only oh... every couple months.

It doesn't smell, not to me, nor others. It's also not oily. Then again, with my hair... I don't think it COULD be oily. I do oil treatments (deep oil treatments where I apply oh... a couple tbs of olive oil, enough that my hair looks soaking wet), wear it in a scarf for two days, and by the time 36 hours rolls around, my hair doesn't even look particularly shiny in a greasy way, just a healthy way.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#28 of 31 Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 AM

Once or twice a week, with coconut oil on the ends before at last one of the washes.
#29 of 31 Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 AM

I work out hard at the gym (weights and running) and I ballroom dance competitively with my DH...so, 5 times/week. at least recently that's how frequent I do. Whenever I have an off day, though, you can bet I won't shampoo!

We do just use an all-purpose "wash"...for hair, body an face. It's a really good no chemical one - kinda like Bronners just looks more like shampoo.
#30 of 31 Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 AM

Every single day I tried no-poo for a couple of weeks but for some reason that I can't recall right now, I stopped. I'm going to try again

CPST & mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page