NO-SHAMPOO MAMAS (March) - Page 12 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#331 of 353 Old 04-05-2006, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spastica, do you have any suggestions for a container or something for the bs? i'm so lazy, i've just got my trusty old box in the shower but it is pretty nconvenient and getting wetter by the day. i though about a sprinnkler jar but i bet the moisture in the bathroom might clog the holes?

ideas? i also feel like i am wasting alot.....
#332 of 353 Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 PM

In the baking section at grocery stores, Arm and Hammer actually has the plastic shaker bottles (with lid, I may add) to keep baking soda moisture-safe and spill-proof. I find them in Kroger and Publix all the time.

I keep refilling those plastic bottles. I have one shaker bottle in the kitchen for my dishwasher and kitchen cleaning purposes, and I have another one near my bathtub for no-poo, and face and body scrubbin'. I have another shaker under my bathroom sink for cleaning the bathroom with.

I have a huge plastic container with a pour lid top (used for flour and sugar) that I use for my laundry. I use a measuring cup to scoop out baking soda as needed.

It's good to keep baking soda dry and in closeable containers so it's easier to use and it stays odor-free.

I never keep the original boxes around water - they get so mushy!

Another thing I do is pre-mix my baking soda and other stuff in a small travel sized shampoo/lotion container. It lasts me a few weeks, probably more for people who don't shampoo often. The mix I have in that travel bottle is baking soda and oat flour (ground uncooked oatmeal). At times I'll add a squirt of honey and/or some drops of essential oils. I put a little bit of water in this and stir with a chopstick to make a homemade pasty shampoo.

I still keep the plastic bottle of baking soda near my tub, I scrub my face and armpits with it. I have a spray bottle for my diluted apple cider vinegar, which is used for my no-poo and armpits (after I scrub them with baking soda and rinsing).

I'm having more luck with the no-deodorant thing and using baking soda and apple cider vinegar than I am with no-poo lately. I actually bought some Avalon shampoo yesterday and my hair is not responding at all. I thought if I used some shampoo my hair will improve from the flat state it's been in a few months after I started no-poo. Nope - still flat.

Can your hair be so healthy that it goes flat and doesn't want to do anything? Or can your hair start growing strange and doesn't want to lift at the roots?
#333 of 353 Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM

So then a heavy amount of ACV rinse is not nessasary? The convenience of a spray bottle sounds nice, but can long haired people use it too? I have a lot of hair and it's thick so I don't want my hand to start cramping from all that spraying. But I don't want to waste either. How about a shampoo type bottle and some squirts. And how long will either BS(diluted) and ACV (diluted) last in bottles b4 going bad?
#334 of 353 Old 04-05-2006, 05:02 PM

Neither Baking soda nor apple cider vinegar spoils - but water can. I don't dilute the baking soda beforehand, but my apple cider vinegar is diluted in a spray bottle. I can use it for a 3-4 weeks and then I refill. If you would like it to last longer and don't want to worry about spoilage - use distilled or purified water instead of plain shower water or tap water.

Shampoo bottle and squirts should work fine. For my hair, I just know that too much apple cider vinegar makes it look stringy so I spritz it onto my hair and finger comb it through. I also have a big spray bottle, not a little one. So the handle and sprayer does not make my hands cramp and I've got a good grip on it.

You can probably hold the length of your hair in one hand and use the spray bottle to spray the apple cider vinegar to that length. I honestly don't think that much apple cider is needed that you need a big jug and dump it over your head. That just sounds cumbersome!
#335 of 353 Old 04-05-2006, 05:20 PM

All Mamas,

Do you find better results if you dilute the baking soda first in a lot of water in a bottle and then putting it on your scalp? What do you then, the scalp massage?

I've been using a water and baking soda paste, does it make a difference on how well it cleans your hair or how it looks?
#336 of 353 Old 04-05-2006, 09:46 PM

Hmm, may have answered my own question.

I couldn't stand my flat hair that was losing it's curl, so I did the heavily-diluted baking soda hair dump and scalp scrub, water rinsed, and misted my apple cider vinegar, then rinsed.

I also kept my hair slightly damp while scrunching while using my blow dryer on low heat.

It looks MUCH better already, let's see if it stays or if it falls flat and straight again.

I probably had a combo of too much pH basic stuff in my hair and static from the low moisture in my house and at work (the air is so dryyyyy).

I don't feel like such an ugly duckling right now. Yay.
#337 of 353 Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 AM

i personally like the diluted baking soda better than using it as a paste. i tried that once and found that it didn't distribute as well throughout my whole scalp (i have long hair.) i dilute about 2 tbsp of bs into 2 cups of warm water in a plastic bottle with a spout (i got this at the dollar store, it works great.) then i do the scalp massage.

thank goodness the greasy transition period is over. not sure if it had anything to do with visiting my mom--she has softened water. as soon as i washed my hair there, the greasies were gone. but i've since returned home and it's still fine, so it might have just been a coincidence and the transition period was over.

one question--you recommend half and half acv and water for the rinse? i've been using about 3 tbsp in about 3 cups of water (but i only use about 1/2 cup at the most per rinse, and only rinse the ends.) should i try using more acv? the ends of my hair are pretty dry.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#338 of 353 Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer
i dilute about 2 tbsp of bs into 2 cups of warm water in a plastic bottle with a spout
I've tried this and like it better too. It's easier I think and gets it on more evenly.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#339 of 353 Old 04-06-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
one question--you recommend half and half acv and water for the rinse? i've been using about 3 tbsp in about 3 cups of water (but i only use about 1/2 cup at the most per rinse, and only rinse the ends.) should i try using more acv? the ends of my hair are pretty dry.
I've been no pooing over a year now and I use about 2tbs of vinegar (I use red wine raspberry vinegar because I like the way it smells) to about 6 oz of water and put it in an 8oz cup and pour it over my scalp as the ACV rinse. If

I also put about 2tbsp of honey in my baking soda mix to aid the dryness of my hair as a humectant. If my ends are still dry I have some coconut oil that I use just a touch of on the ends of my hair.

HTH

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#340 of 353 Old 04-06-2006, 06:43 PM

I never knew this thread existed, and I am excited! I haven't used shampoo in about four years. I have naturally curly hair, and I started this on the advice of the book Curly Girl (a great book by the way, full of recipes for natural hair care products using essential oils and whatnot - and it address very curly, sorta curly or just wavy hair.)

I don't miss the poo at all. It does take some time for your scalp to understand the fact that it won't be scorched by cleansers all the time, and to even out its oil production. My hairdresser (who recommended the book) is even amazed at how incredibly healthy my hair is. I used to have a lot of breakage - now my hair is lustrous, strong and healthy.
#341 of 353 Old 04-06-2006, 08:01 PM

BlissP - I've been reading the online info on CurlyGirl too! That's how I stumbled upon no-poo and this forum too.

Rareimer: I think the 50-50 solution of apple cider vinegar is the benchmark - people add or not put as much water depending on their hair. Any stronger than 50-50 and I know that apple cider vinegar will make my hair super stringy on top. You might try the 50-50 if you think it may help your hair (you can always dilute it, right?).

I tend to spray more of the apple cider vinegar on the ends because I get the dry ends problem too. Sometimes, the ends still feel dry and I resort to using a lima bean sized drop of silicone-free conditioner (Suave Tropical Coconut is hella cheap, silicone free, and has hair and scalp beneficial essential oils like coconut and rosemary).

Other people wait til their hair dries and use a drop of olive oil, jojoba oil, or other hair-friendly oils in their hands and rub it in the ends of their hair.

You can also try an mister spray of distilled water and one of the following combinations:

- Essential oil only
- Conditioner only
- Essential oil and conditioner

Shake up your mister spray and you can spritz the ends of your hair and any other areas that feel dry.

I have a Burt's Bees Lavender facial mist that I use for absolutely everything, hair, armpits, face refresher, and perfume. It has distilled water and Lavender, Bergamot, and Cedar Leaf essential oils in it. These oils are great for promoting hair growth and is good for your scalp as well.

Because these oils are antiseptic and astringent, it's a great armpit spritzer and I don't use deodorant anymore (I just scrub my armpits with baking soda in the shower, rinse with water, and spritz my apple cider vinegar from my spray bottle, rinse again with water). When I get out of the shower and I'm dry, I spritz the Burt's Bees Lavender facial mist. I'm sure I can make my own as you can too - I NEVER find any bottles of lavender in any store, they're ALWAYS gone.

Hope this helps!
#342 of 353 Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 PM

BlissP - Are you doing the entire baking soda no-poo hair cleansing or just the CWC/conditioner only hair washing?

I find that the conditioner only makes my scalp oily. What tips and tricks do you have that works on your curly hair? I can't tell what type I have, but I think I have type 2A, 2B or 3A. My hair ranges from wavy to loose curls (especially at the nape of the neck). I used to have much thicker hair, but I have PCOS and a uterine fibroid so my hair's thinned out a lot
#343 of 353 Old 04-08-2006, 02:19 AM

i upped the acv in my rinse a bit today, and the results are great. my hair is much less dry and is softer. i used about 2 tbsp per cup. i'm going to try a little more next time. i'll just keep adding more until i start disliking the results.

it took a bit of time to get through the transition period and get used to the difference...but my hair is at least as nice now that i'm not using shampoo and conditioner, if not nicer. i think patience is the key...

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#344 of 353 Old 04-08-2006, 03:10 PM

Absolutely - patience and the willingness to fudge around with the recipes.

I had some great luck using some orange essential oil in my baking soda solution today. Scalp feels super clean.
#345 of 353 Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona
i have a really hard time combing my hair after i shower if i don't put some kind of conditioner in it. anyone else have this issue? does anyone put oil in their hair before they comb it? i put jojoba on my ends, but after i've combed as i don't want the oil on my scalp... the avc does not seem to "condition" my hair well enough. of course, my hair is rather long, so i suppose that is the issue.
This has maybe been answered already (still reading and only on page 12 or 13)... I just went shampooless the other day (last wash with suds was on Friday and I've done to BS/ACV washes since then) but have always had to condition. I'd shampoo and then condition and then when I was combing out my wet hair, spray it with a mix of conditioner and water (don't know the ratios - a good long squirt of conditioner into a Kaboodles spray bottle of warm water) especially on the ends and my front hairline. I've continued to spray it lightly even with these last two "washes".

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#346 of 353 Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
I only use BS every few weeks. I am *very* worried about lightening, so I use it as rarely as I can.
Does it continue to lighten indefinitely? After two washes with BS/ACV I think I can see a bit of colour change (blonder) but that's not necessarily bad. What can I expect in the future if I continue?

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#347 of 353 Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 AM

Well the first time you do the baking soda/apple cider vinegar thing, you'll see a difference because baking soda gets rid of any old residues in your hair, including minerals and old hair products that dull your hair.

You may find some lightening, but no - it won't be drastic, nor does it damage your hair as long as you keep up with the apple cider vinegar rinses. If your ends are dry, you can use a drop of oil in the palm of your hands and rub it into your hair. Or use a silicone free conditioner (sometimes the really cheap conditioners have zero silicones and are actually better for your hair).

Most of us have healthier and stronger hair now with no poo!
#348 of 353 Old 04-12-2006, 09:58 AM

anybody have any tips like curly girl for people with straight hair? my sister in actually interested ( i can't believe it ) in trying this but hse has always had very very straight hair....and i wonder if there are different things one could do.
#349 of 353 Old 04-12-2006, 10:35 AM

Is her hair oily, or dry, or JUST right... Look at me.... I might as well be writing Goldilocks & the 3 hairs.

#350 of 353 Old 04-12-2006, 03:15 PM

oily, but i partway suspect it is because she is always cleaning cleaning and stripping her natural oils
#351 of 353 Old 04-12-2006, 03:39 PM

I'd just start out with the BS and a lighter ratio of vinegar to water then.

#352 of 353 Old 04-12-2006, 05:26 PM

Janebug, a lot of women on the LongHairLoom Forum have straight hair. They have some nice oils and methods they use. Check their forum out.
#353 of 353 Old 04-13-2006, 09:25 AM

thanks, will do!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page