NO-SHAMPOO MAMAS (March) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to ask the same thing - how do you use the honey?

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jentle
ShannonCC

I was figuring she'd need the boar bristle for distributing hair oils regardless of her curls... do you think a wooden bristle would be better for her? Or maybe just better for when she's getting ready for work?
I don't know about the oil distribution, I just know that this type of brush doesn't do great things for my hair (and is hard to use) so I haven't even bothered to try. I always assumed it was because of my curls making it hard to brush. I was always a finger comber instead but now a wooden bristle brush works great too (because of the wide bristles). Anyway, my hair is looking great without a boar bristle brush so it's definitely not required, but if your roomie likes it, then why not?

Megan, I use honey too. Just mix it into something liquid. The other day I added 1 tbs honey to 1 scrambled egg and 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and washed my hair with that. It turned out AWESOME. I have also come accross recipes adding honey to oil and I tried that and it was just too oily for me. I'm not sure what the honey does, but it smells nice
#63 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Here's my mix that I take to the shower. Two glug, glugs of acv into a large glass (which I later fill with warm shower water), a small cup of bs (probably 4-5 tablespoons) and into the bathroom I trot.
Into the bathroom, I trot, I trot, into the bathroom I trot. Hmm. Off to the writer's thread....:LOL - oh, sorry! Can I use your idea for my new poem? :LOL

Cindi, thanks for the great summary. That's essentially very similar to what I am doing except I hadn't been thinking to do the BS all over like that, had still been using white soap on pits. Hmm. May try that with tomorrow's shower.... :

I have similar results - I brush more because my hair is essentially straighter. I love the way my scalp feels. Somebody said on the February thread that they felt "more aware" of their hair for the first time and I think that sums up how I feel about it. Like I'm connected to my own scalp and hair instead feeling frustrated or enslaved by it. Like getting to know it for the first time ever.
#64 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veganmamma
:LOL The one i'm breastfeeding? Yeah, she's mine.
:LOL :

Shows you how much I'm used to seeing mamas BFIP~ I didn't even notice you were BF! :LOL (That's a compliment BTW)

AmiBeth

#65 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I dont beileve it!!!
I did it and i dont belivev it! : : : :

it has been since 2-25 since last poo, i did it this am and

:LOL

9 days no poo, had to today my hair gets REALLY GREASY althought i dont mind... we are doing choppin so i did it!

i used 1/4 cup bs mixed in i think to much water but oh my did it FEEL GOOD while i slowly poured it on my head, my head was tilted back, i have pretty long hair, almost touches the back bra strap, if i wore one!:LOL

and then after ,well i let it sit a while and then i used, ohhh 1/4 acv, mine is from hiens? not pasturized??? its all i had and i mixed it with water, it was a little styinkiy, but after i used the bs i could FEEL that my hair was umm clean???

so then i got out, dryed off and blew dryed a little im sitting still in aww!

thanks guys! this is so much fun!:LOL :LOL
#66 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 04:42 PM

hi

I had a sprained wrist when I wrote, so I was trying to keep it short (Feels much better now, btw).

Anyway, I'm putting about 1 tbs baking soda in a glass dish, pouring honey over the top (about 1 tbs as well, maybe less), then I add a tiny amount of hot water (just enough to mix and get a slightly runny paste -- last time I added too much water, and it wasn't as good).

I put it directly on my scalp -- dry hair, rub it in (also it gets on my hair, and makes it stand up funny!) then I take a bath (I am SUCH a bath person!). Eventually, I rinse it off. Works best if I can leave it on awhile (the honey does good things to my scalp).

I'm not using ACV, since it seems like it would sting.

I must say, though, that if I wanted *big hair* using the honey would definitely do it! It makes me laugh how poufy my hair is right before I get in the tub!
#67 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 06:09 PM

alexis - do not fear the acv!
I've actually noticed far more of a tingle from the bs.

The honey idea sounds awesome! I'll have to experiment.

edited to add -- I'm glad your wrist is better.
#68 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 06:43 PM

Well I was inspired by the ideas here to use egg and honey in my bs wash. I tried it and it felt really good, the slimeyness of the egg made it all a lot more pleasant to squoosh around in my hair and it smelled really neutral. I rinsed with my usual acv and now I've applied coconut oil to the ends because they were getting really really really really dry.

Dd also took part in the experiment because we took a bath together. She didn't like it at all but she never has so that was no change.

I'm interested to see one more possible outcome from all this no-pooing. We save our bath water to use on the plants and I wonder how they'll like the egg, honey, bs and acv?

One question though to you non-soapers. If you shave, what do you lube up with first? I could manage my legs with the egg water but it just wasn't slick enough for my sensitive areas and I ended up using dd's Aveeno Calming Bath stuff.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#69 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 07:35 PM

well in m y last washing with egg and vinegar i added a bit of olive oil...MISTAAKE!
i now have oily hair! no greasy limp, just shiny oily wet look.
what do you susgggest? baking soda rinse??
and acv rinse didn't help much.

plantspirit
#70 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 07:39 PM

I've done a couple of only-ACV rinses too and they don't seem to help me either. Probably BS & water would work to "strip" out some of that extra oil, probably okay as long as you rinse with something more acidic afterwards to restore the balance.
#71 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 07:42 PM

plantspirite, I made tha tmistake too :LOL It wears out. It took a few days but it wore away eventually. I thin it was 3 days? I did the normal vinegar and stuff meanwhile.

nak
#72 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Quote:
If you shave, what do you lube up with first?
I am curious about this, too. I have been using Castille soap but it seems to be very drying. Are there any better ideas out there?

JoyfulMomma
#73 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 11:10 PM

You can lube up with oil. I said in the other thread I think, that travel shaving lotion is oil with eucalyptus in it. It is supposed to be three drop for the whole face. I am still using my intuition. I know, I know. I have like, 10 refills though. It's just my legs and pits, :LOL I use a plain razor for my yoni.
#74 of 353 Old 03-05-2004, 11:49 PM

plantspirit - Maybe you could sprinkle cornstarch liberally (on dry hair) and give it time to soak up oil and then brush and rinse it out?

Just a thought.
#75 of 353 Old 03-06-2004, 12:45 AM

I confess.....we went swimming and I used soap to shave with....old habits ya know.

WHAAAHH..........my 3 year old dd was last seen with my boar bristle brush three days ago

My hair looks great though! I think the chlorine ate the oil off today. So no need for cornstarch. I just kind of ran my fingers through my hair and went with the tossled look. I've borrowed my other dd's headband, which does wonders in a crisis
#76 of 353 Old 03-06-2004, 04:14 PM

Damn it. I keep missing the new threads! I was thinking "I haven't gotten any emails..." and just realized it's March already!

So it's been...hell, I don't know...7 weeks since I used shampoo. I think. Maybe. At least that. Yeah, I think that's right. Seems I BS about twice a week these days. Hardly rinse in between anymore. Tried the cornstarch and that was nice. Been using a boar bristle brush when I think of it.

It's been onger for DS's hair, but he's only 4 months I have no plans to wash it. Hell, I barely bathe the kid. He gets a nice sponge bath with the wipe solution every few days though. He doesn't do anything to get dirty, right?

I don't use any cleanser on my face anymore either. Only the same BS mix I use on my ahir. I usually have some dry patches and they are now gone. I hardly use any soap on my body as well. If I do it's Dr. B's peppermint. Mostly BS there too. I should invest in some BS stock.

DH is considering it now that he got his hair cut. Dunno. We'll see I guess.
#77 of 353 Old 03-06-2004, 04:29 PM

So I've been 'poo free for about 5-6 weeks now. So far it's been going well. A couple time a week I use a paste with a couple TBLS of bs then rinse with diluted ACV, followed by a rinse with rosemary eo. Well, now I have zits cropping up in my scalp! I've never ever experienced anything like this before! How do I get rid of them? What am I doing wrong?
#78 of 353 Old 03-06-2004, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It's been onger for DS's hair, but he's only 4 months I have no plans to wash it. Hell, I barely bathe the kid. He gets a nice sponge bath with the wipe solution every few days though. He doesn't do anything to get dirty, right?
:LOL :LOL

This was always my philosophy with babies! Much to the shock and dismay of my friends. :LOL
#79 of 353 Old 03-06-2004, 05:34 PM

So none of the feed stores in my area carry BS in bulk, however, the restaurant supply stores do. It was $4.19 for 5lbs of BS at Smart and final and $22 for 50lbs at Cash and Carry. C&C ordered the 50lb bag for me and I'm picking it up on Monday. I'm stoked b/c I use it to scrub, for dishes, laundry, personal hygeine, cat litter, and everything else you can think of. :LOL I probably use 2lbs a week, so this should last a few months. Woo hoo!
#80 of 353 Old 03-06-2004, 10:02 PM

bs for cat liter? really? tell me more!!!!
#81 of 353 Old 03-06-2004, 10:25 PM

I don't use it as the litter itself, although I could-- I use it at the bottom, underneath in a thick layer and then as I pour in litter I layer it with BS. Keeps the stinkies away
#82 of 353 Old 03-06-2004, 11:45 PM

Mia, you have been no-poo for weeks and this *just* happened or has it been happening all along? If it just cropped up (within the last week) I'd say it's something else. Have you done anything different? Used different hair products (different EO's, or changed your routine?) Eaten differently lately?

Alexis, vinegar doesn't sting unless you have open wounds on your skin. We dilute it too, so it's really not an issue. Don't get it in your eyes though!

I did my egg shampoo today and again, have to heartily recommend everyone try this! One egg, some vinegar (maybe 1/4 cup) some honey (maybe 1 tbs) (the "maybe"s are because I mix it up in the bathroom and just eyeball it). Scrub it in, rinse it out, then follow with a vinegar rinse. It really works well for my hair! I'm going to do this once a week.

And thanks again to whoever suggested rubbing oil on your hands and then gently running your hands through your hair ends. I'm doing that (not every day, but whenever I feel my hair is getting a bit dry) and it's working nicely. MUCH better than the oil/honey mix I tried.
#83 of 353 Old 03-07-2004, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShannonCC
Mia, you have been no-poo for weeks and this *just* happened or has it been happening all along? If it just cropped up (within the last week) I'd say it's something else. Have you done anything different? Used different hair products (different EO's, or changed your routine?) Eaten differently lately?

Thanks for replying!
I just noticed the zits in my scalp this past week. I can't think of anything different that I've eaten/washed with/used. The only difference is that I've been under a LOT of stress recently, so maybe that caused it?
I'm doing a bs/acv wash tomorrow, and I'm going to make sure to rinse really really well. I may do a tto rinse instead of rosemary this time.
#84 of 353 Old 03-07-2004, 12:56 AM

oooh, i wanna be "poo free".

scanning the threads and have 2 quick questions:
how/where do you keep BS/ACV for easy access?
where to buy bulk BS?

thanks mamas!
regina
'poo-free-wanna-be
#85 of 353 Old 03-07-2004, 01:26 AM

Quote:
how/where do you keep BS/ACV for easy access?
I bought two plastic bottles to keep in the shower. I mix the BS and boiling water, let cool and put in one bottle. Then I just shake before using. Same with ACV mix. Works well for me. Each lasts a few weeks.
#86 of 353 Old 03-07-2004, 01:54 AM

great, thanks!
#87 of 353 Old 03-07-2004, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by radish
[B]where to buy bulk BS?B]
You can get it in bulk at restaurant supply stores. I have a 50 pound box coming on Monday. I have lots of jars I use for storing things, I am going to fill those and put them in tall the spots I use it.
#88 of 353 Old 03-07-2004, 04:58 AM

I remember reading that someone (sorry can't remember who) was using nettle tea to wash their hair. Can anyone tell me how to do this? And what type of hair it's good for? TIA!

AmiBeth

#89 of 353 Old 03-07-2004, 01:02 PM

veganmama - thanks! ill look into it
#90 of 353 Old 03-07-2004, 03:18 PM

I am at one month poo-free! I can't believe it...I was a poo every day sort of gal. I am doing this no frills-bs with tto, acv and the occasional coconut oil. I have never felt or looked better. My hair looks awesome! I think I might try the egg anmd honey action, but I'm worried that the honey will make my scalp greasy. Anyone?
I also began the no soap journey and everything just seems BETTER. My skin is softer, I don't sweat nearly as much, etc. I am due in a couple of weeks with numero two ans simplifying has made all the difference-kwim? My next big prject is to get rid of my mainstream mattress and free our home of those chemicals. Ahhhh, it's such a journey. Oh, and I'm loving the pictures ladies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page