NO-SHAMPOO MAMAS (March) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rose Water Un-Shampoo

Here is a fun and simple way to help clean hair between shampoo days (or between non shampoo days as the case may be :LOL )

Take Rosewater (or Lavender Water ...I would think that you could even use Witch Hazel, though I've never tried it?)

spray onto a thin cloth or piece of gauze and pull it over your brush. Begin brushing through and the wet fabric will help pull dirt and grease onto the cloth and off or your hair.

For those who just need something a bit More
you could take a small amount of liquid castile soap mixed with some water and a little bit of carrier oil. Optional essential oils can be added too.

This will be a concentrated cleaning spray to be used maybe once a week or so. It works great on my hair!
I usually use Bronners, about 1/2 Cup, 1 - 2 Cup water, 1 tsp oil, 7 drops of chamomile and lavender essential oils.

#122 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 11:07 AM

Regina, Autumn and PammySue

Welcome

I loved hearing your story PammySue - on the non-washing days I don't personally do anything - just brush through - I love your ideas though Lala - I've heard the idea about the cloth over the brush before, but never actually tried it; thanks for posting it.

For cleansing my face btw, I use oats and yogurt mixed together - it works as a gentle cleanser and exfoliator and I just rinse with lots of cool water - no need for a toner or moisturiser anymore (unlike when I religiously cleansed, toned and moisturised with shop-bought products and I desperately needed mositurising afterwards : )

When I feel like treating myself, I'll do a facial steam with a handful of herbs.

Have a lovely day ladies
Rachelle
#123 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 12:26 PM

Hi! I've been lurking here for about a month now. I've been no-poo for 3 weeks and loving it!

It actually started by accident because I was so busy and hadn't had time to shampoo my hair for four days. I decided that was a good head start so I did a BS wash and ACV rinse and loved the result!

My only complaint had been that my hair was feeling dry to touch it but it didn't look dry. It was weird. It almost felt like straw. So I used some Jojoba oil and aloe to condition it but then it was so oily afterward I almost went back to the poo. I held out though!

I've been experimenting with EO a bit too. I put a few drops of TTO in my BS wash. Then I rinse with diluted ACV. I usually then rinse with Rosemary EO mixed with water but yesterday I did Rosemary EO and Peppermint EO mixed with water rinse. My hair is less dry today. I have no fly-aways and it feels wonderfully soft to touch. I've been running my fingers through my hair all day.

More later. I have to run!

Kelli
#124 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 03:25 PM

Hi- I'm jumping on the bandwagon. You ladies are inspiring- and write lots about it.

The BS/vinegar works great for not being oily. But I'm not sure I like smelling like vinegar all the time. I do use some TTO and lavendar, and I just bought some rosemary- I have had some itchy dandruffy scalp, and all this discussion made me think that maybe it was the shampoo that was doing it to me in the first place. Well, that and ds's birth, because it was never like that before.

So- can you rinse after the ACV? Or does it remove its purpose?
and is the goal with all this to eventually stop washing your hair all together? Or just to continue on with the BS/vinegar?

I don't think I could possibly go a week without washing. Every few days it needs it.
#125 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 04:14 PM

i always scent my vinegar rinse with some ymmy smelling essential oil . last night was lavender and lemon...i dilute the vinegar in a full cup of water...32 oz water, maybe 2 oz vinegar, IF taht... plus a few drops of the oil.
pour over my hair, then i just rinse off and stand under the hot water cause i like it, so most of the viengar rinses out...
it doesnt stink at all i think.
#126 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 06:59 PM

I scent my ACV as well, whatever EOs are nearby and suit my fancy at the time.

And YES, you can totally rinse out the vinegar. The whole concept with the vinegar is that we're using acid to correct for hard water's inability to get all the soap/BS/etc out of our hair, so it doesn't need to stay with you all day.

I've put oil in my hair prior to BSing to keep the drying down.... Basically I do the rubbing oil into my hands and then stroking through my hair repeatedly, and I focus exclusively on my length. I also brush with my boar bristle in between each oil application to evenly distribute. I'm just going for a little extra shielding on the areas of my hair that need it, not full on oil. It seems to work pretty well....

I also focus the BS on my scalp...

The experimentation process is so much fun.
#127 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 07:25 PM

I rinse my ACV, but not my lemon juice. I like the smell of lemon. Jentle is right, the vinegar is helping get out alkalines like BS or soap, but also vinegar and other acids help keep the skin and hair's pH balanced. I've found that my hair get's oilier faster when I don't rinse my vinegar, but I'm guessing b/c I use unfiltered ACV. When I put lemon juice on my hair after it's all washed it workes kind of like gel, it is stiff and holds the hair in place. (full strength lemon juice on my hands, run thru my hair.)
#128 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 08:11 PM

I chopped my hair off! Ten inches so I can donate it to Locks of Love. I'll post a pic later tonight.

I got to thinking, hopefully I'll be able to control my hair when it's short and not washing daily. Maybe the jojoba oil on my ends will work good.

Does anyone scent the jojoba oil they put on their ends? Sometimes I'm in the mood for citrus and other days when I feel like Hot Momma I like patchouli.
#129 of 353 Old 03-09-2004, 11:09 PM

Four weeks no-poo for me! I am so proud of myself for sticking with it! Tonight I'm going to try nettle tea on my hair.

AmiBeth

#130 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 12:29 AM

Ok, it's been 5 days no-poo for me and I keep thinking, "what the hell am I doing. I haven't shampooed my hair since Thursday!" Then I pass by a mirror and I think "who is that woman with the shiny hair?" My hair has not been shiny for as long as I can remember!

So, I am very back and forth on this. My hair looks different (I think or maybe its been so long since I actually paid attention to my hair I don't know what it normally looks like anymore ). I has more volume at the roots, it is very shiny, but not greasy or oily, it looks and feels clean. But it does not look as lively as I think it did.

Well, I am going to keep doing this even though I keep thinking I need to poo. I had to write this because I need to put in writing my commitment to do this for at least a month and try very hard not to BS my hair until Friday.

I know this seems like a lot of drama, but I have been kind of obsessing about my hair since I started this. I go to the bathroom at work just to look at my hair.

I think the big issue is to start thinking about my hair differently. I need to remember that the way my hair looked before was becasue it was damaged and my hair will look different and so much better when it is healthy. And that I do not NEED to wash it everyday or even every other day.

Thanks for listening to my craziness!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#131 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 02:14 AM

I obsess over my hair now too.
#132 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 04:37 AM

I'm at least six, maybe seven weeks into this and I still obsess over my hair now, also. I keep waiting for dh to notice and then I'll tell him what I'm doing. He's going to think I've gone too far in my anti-chemical campaign.
I know that it keeps getting mentioned that people think theit hair is thicker after a few weeks. While I know it's impossible for new hair to grow this quickly there is a definite thickness to my hair, I've never had. I had 5 inches cut off and some color added. It's not as blond as usual because I'm hoping to phase the color out, but I miss the blonde.
I bought some Dr Bronners Castille soap today, the lavendar scent...mmm. Now that I have it, I know several people have mentioned it, what do I do with it????
Do you all have a refrigerator in your bathrooms? Most of what you use is refrigerated: eggs, lemon juice, pineapple juice, yogurt face masks...I'm still not organized enough to take the stuff up to my bathroom the night before.
#133 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 03:46 PM

I made the olive oil mistake. I did put it on my hands and run it through my hair, but I think I was overzealous. It looked horrible when it dried. Acck. I managed to save it with some cornstarch, but it's still not great.

I am thinking maybe another type of oil will work better, almond or coconut? I hope it doesn't take days to recover.
#134 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 04:02 PM

I am loving how my hair looks. Even my mom has started to comment on how good it looks! Has anyone done the no-poo while traveling?

I used a bit of Dr. Bronnder's Peppermint in ds bath (he's 3) and he said it "smelled nasty" :LOL Maybe he'd like the lavender or almond better?

AmiBeth

#135 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 04:04 PM

After much prompting, I did it! I rinsed my hair (after the bs/honey wash) with vinegar! (Tarragon white wine vinegar to be exact, as it's one we never ever use and I don't have any acv. I thought about balsamic, but I'm blonde).

Fabulous results! I immediately noticed the softness! (My hair is the same amount of shine, though, I think.) And the fullness as well -- it seems to me like the shaft of my hair isn't deflated like it is after washing with 'poo -- does that make scientific sense? It was actually extremely pouffy after I got out of the bath.

So -- for the record, despite my skepticism about v it: a) did not sting even a tiny bit b) rinsed out just fine (no smell) and c) gave me very nice results! I am converted...

My hairs a bit messy today, though, as I made the mistake of sleeping on it damp. Oh well, it's the "tousled look" :LOL

My dh hasn't noticed, but he's rather a space cadet when it comes to hair. I did mention I hadn't washed my hair in awhile last week and said "does it look OK?" and he replied "it looks great," but how much of that was just him thinking I look great cause he loves me, I don't know. He also claims to have never noticed I have acne (!?!).

(PS, my kitchen is adjacent to my bathroom and nothing I use needs to be refrigerated. I just grab it all while the bath runs -- I detest showers! And as an fyi, you don't really need to refrigerate eggs, though most of us probably do. I haven't used the egg wash myself, as I cannot abide the stench of egg yolk... :LOL)
#136 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 04:30 PM

I usually use stuff I keep in the bathroom (the vinegar and honey are in the cabinet). However, we've recently adopted a not so house trained dog and she can't wait for me to have a shower in the morning. I take my son to the toilet, throw on a bathrobe and then take her out the back door ASAP so I have to go through the kitchen anyway.

Keetsmama, when I put olive oil on my hands, I rub it in REALLY well before running my hands through my hair. If I've used too much, I even wipe my hands on a cloth before doing my hair. So yeah, don't get your hair all oily

busybusymomma, where's the pic?

I did chamomile today. I also left the vinegar in for the second time. I don't know why I have some sort of mental block or something, but I keep feeling like I have to rinse it out. When I leave it in, I get better results. Guess I have to just get over myself, :LOL So chamomile and balsamic vinegar, not rinsed out, looks great on my hair

I think I want to start a shoot off thread. I am interested in the no soap thing and I think another thread might be more manageable for me to ask my questions
#137 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 08:53 PM

Oh good, I am gald I am not the only one obsessing. I feel better.
Quote:
I keep waiting for dh to notice and then I'll tell him what I'm doing
Ha! Me too. :LOL
I have not told him b/c he will think I have lost my mind. If he says something nice about it first, then maybe i won't seem as nuts.

Another question: it seems that people are using cornstrach to "soak up" the greasiness on dry hair and brush through. Why not use BS? Does it matter?

ShannonCC-please do the spin off. I would also like to explore that more. I am trying to go no-soap also. I went no-soap (BS and rosemary rinse on pits) and deoderant free today. It was a little . And ...(sniff, sniff)... a little stinkier than I would care for but maybe no one will notice.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#138 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 08:55 PM

I just noticed your spin-off in the thread list ShannonCC.

#139 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShannonCC
busybusymomma, where's the pic?
Here it is!

My new 'do, ten inches shorter!!

My hair before, if you're curious!

(It's hard to take your own picture! :LOL)
#140 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 09:54 PM

OMG!!!
You look beautiful busybusy!!!

#141 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 PM

Your hair looks great, Michelle!!!!! That's a beautiful style for you.
#142 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 10:13 PM

Looks good!!

So for the first time in my life since age 11, my hair is 100% natural. It is not colored a single bit.

O

M

GAWD!!! I want to dye it SO BADLY. I want to bleach it and dye it pretty colors!! Rainbow colors!!

I think I need restraints.
#143 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 10:27 PM

busybusymomma - You look FABULOUS. How are you doing with the big change?

veganmamma - Leaving lemon juice in your hair sounds...... yummy.
#144 of 353 Old 03-10-2004, 11:06 PM

yeah, you're super cute!
#145 of 353 Old 03-11-2004, 12:51 AM

pammysue, I try to avoid BS because I worry about my dark hair being lightened. I only use it if I think I really need it. So far I was able to go 2 or 3 weeks without it with no problems. (now I have to get over and see the no soap thread )

busybusy you look great with short hair! (of course you looked great with long hair too ) The last few days I've suddenly had the urge to chop all my hair off and start fresh I'm thinking about it. I doubt mine is long enough for locks of love though.

I stumbled on this page tonight. http://naturallycurly2.com/curlscene...ytype=articles It has specific info for curly hair, but also just generic info for anyone interested in using herbs for their hair.
#146 of 353 Old 03-11-2004, 01:23 AM

thanks for the link shannon! that had some great info!
#147 of 353 Old 03-11-2004, 01:46 AM

Maybe this should be on the no-soap thread, but I mentioned it here first, so I'll post it here. This is taken directly from Roberta Wilson's "Aromatherapy: Essential Oils for Vibrant Health and Beauty".

"For cleansers, choose a base of clay (bentonite, French green clay, fuller's earth or Redmond clay), oil (hazelnut, hemp, jojoba, olive, safflower, sesame, or sunflower oil), honey (raw and unfiltered), or yogurt (unsweetened and plain.)

To 1 tsp. clay, honey, or yogurt, add 1 drop of essential oil. Blend with water as needed and massage into your skin.

To make an oil cleanser, you can add 3 to 6 drops of essential oil to 1 ounce (2 tbsp.) of carrier oil. Blend well. Massage about 1/2 to 1 tsp. into your skin. Blot off with a clean towel or splash off with water for a very moisturizing effect."

She's got a whole list of EOs that are good for different types of skin (normal, dry, oily, mature and sensitive). I can post these too, if anyone wants. I've been using lavender and cedarwood in jojoba for 8 days now and I LOVE it! I'm trying yogurt tomorrow and honey next week! Dropping soap is WAY TOO FUN!
#148 of 353 Old 03-11-2004, 03:12 AM

cute new hairdoo, Michelle

Lauren -- I know *exactly* what you mean. I've been wanting to dye my hair blue for about 8 months now. (My neighbors all ganged up on me and said blue would not be good... what is it with gay men hating blue hair?)

And now that I'm ttcing dye is out I must admit, I do think I can forsee dying it a crazy color again sometime in my life, though. I am not as natual living as *that* to not ever be purple haired again! (Of course, I usually dye it a dark enough color that I do not have to strip much, if any, color out.)

Hang tight mama
#149 of 353 Old 03-11-2004, 11:40 AM

lauren and alexis,
do it! do it! do it! gosh it's been so long since i've dyed my hair a fun color. i miss it! i think all the hair on my head is virgin hair by now though because the last time i did was 5 years ago or so. it stunk though because i couldn't get blues to come out nice and bright because my hair was too dark. i always wanted blue hair but usually ended up with pink/red/purple because it took best.

what kind of color would you use? i wasn't particularly into natural haircare at the time :LOL and really did a number on my hair several times. :
#150 of 353 Old 03-11-2004, 12:02 PM

Thanks for all the compliments! I'm really liking it... and when I DO wash my hair, my shower is much quicker because I can get my scalp rinsed so much quicker! :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page