NO-SHAMPOO MAMAS (March) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2004, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sooo, is anyone using soapwort in their regimen?? I am really trying hard to find seeds/a start....but no luck so far. My mom tells me it used to grow wild around here.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 03:46 AM

I saw a start at the nursery a couple weeks ago for about 2.00. When I went there today there wasn't any and the staff looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about it....
How're you doing with your regime? Have you discovered a pattern that works, or is it still evolving?
Old 03-01-2004, 04:43 AM

bumping myself in.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:08 AM

And seems to be doing very well. I've been using only baking soda and wash with it about twice a week. I have decided to grow out my bangs (one less thing to fiddle with ) I'm also planning on getting a few inches cut off. I have hardly cut my hair in the past few years and it is quite long for me. (shoulder blades). I think that shoulder length would be nice. Long enough to pull up still.

My DH has cut back on his shampoo since I started. Seeing that he has a buzz cut I was perplexed as to why he felt compelled to wash it every day with shampoo. : The almost shampoo bottle we have is still there. A month ago he insisted me needed more (and I bought it back then). The new bottle is sitting in the cabinet.

Yea! Another money saver. Gotta love it.

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:39 AM

I wish my dh was interested! He's all about chemicals, Coca-Cola (like 6-8 per day!), pre-packaged food etc etc.

As for me, things are going well although using the Burt's Bees Herbal Treatment Shampoo threw my hair off for awhile (I was doing lice preventative!). I'm back to using the BS/ACV routine. I think the BS dries my scalp out too much if I use it more than 2x/week or so, so I'm going to aim for washing my hair twice a week.

So, that's my saga so far. I picked up some rosemary eo to add to my BS mix too, see if that helps my scalp out. OH, it's raining here today instead of dry, cold weather and that will help too I'm sure. Yay Spring!
Old 03-01-2004, 03:46 PM
RAF

Hello, it has been a while since I have posted about my no-shampoo adventure, but things are looking good. My hair isn't frizzy anymore finally and seems to have more shine to it. My husband says it has more color too.

About the soapwort, I am gonna be planting some of this stuff, so Lisa, I guess you're just gonna have to come back to good ol' Eastern WA to get some of this neat plant!
Old 03-01-2004, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Seeing that he has a buzz cut I was perplexed as to why he felt compelled to wash it every day with shampoo.
LOL sounds like my dh. I buzz him to 1/4" every month or two yet he insists it needs to be washed every day (and conditioned too!). He is liking the bs so far though (its been about over a week now) and is only doing every 3rd or 4th day. I am surprised!

Laurie

Old 03-01-2004, 04:41 PM

We are a no-poo household - over a month and going strong!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:25 PM

My dh and I have just joined in on the no-shampoo "movement"! He has a problem with flaky scalp, and after doing the BS followed by ACV rinse with a couple of drops of Rosemary EO, his scalp is looking pretty flaky. Any recommendations?

We're hoping to have a chemical-free household by the time baby arrives (EDD 3/17!!) Shampoo and the comet and bleach under the sink- all purchases by the in-laws- are the last to go. We're very excited.

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
Old 03-02-2004, 02:39 AM

mamalex for going chemical free!!

For flaky scalp, All I can think of is to get jojoba oil, a few drops and massage into the scalp? I haven't tried this, but it may be worth a try.

I am still poo free. I had some rough days around the four week point, but now am glad that I stuck with it. I am really beginning to know my hair, it is a connection that I have never had before, when just using shampoo and conditioner. Now, I can get when it needs cornstarch, bs/rosemary, brushing, or a few drops of oil. I am happy with it. If I have a greasy day following using bs, I use egg white mixed with rosemary tea for a shampoo, followed by egg yolk conditioner.

For those of you who are NOT using soap...what are you using instead? I am feeling kind of yucky not using soap......been 3 weeks.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:56 AM

I just posted on the old thread not realizing there was a march one.

It's been a month now without shampoo. I did break down and use regular conditioner on the ends once because i had some tangles that weren't coming out. Otherwise it has just been bs and acv, with occasional use of essential oil in a water rinse or added to bath water. My hair looks a million times better then it did a month ago...a lot less frizzy for sure. I will post a picture when i have one. Any good ideas for detangling? It seems like when I leave my hair down it tangles within the hour, and I have to brush it constantly....

Old 03-02-2004, 03:55 AM

Bestbirths - Are you talking about not using soap for body cleaning? I've been using BS and ACV all over personally.

And of course I'm an EO addict.
Yummmmmmmm...

So, lemme see if I've got this straight... We use basic things to clean and acid things to rinse... Tea would be a good rinse because of the tanic acid, but what about rosemary (EO or infusion)... Is rosemary acidic?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:15 AM

Yeah, I was talking about not using soap for body cleaning. I did start using bs paste on the bod, but was just wondering if there was any other things to use. I don't use EO's because my family is sensitive to fragrances. I was especially thinking about my face. Are you using bs on your faces too? What other chemical free products are you using on your faces? What do you clean, tone, and moisterize with? What do you use for facials?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:42 PM

My DP has also gone poo-free and his hair is doing so well (but don't get me started on his "style," he's got this awful 70s fringy thing going on that drives me nuts), soft and shiny. Since I posted a couple of days ago, things have been a little better. I've been more conscious to really massage my scalp in the shower and I've been brushing more as well. I used some chamomile tea the other day and it was pretty good, although my hair was VERY fluffy afterward (not a bad thing, just so FLUFFY! heh.). I've gotten back to a place where I'm more peaceful with the adjustment period, more hopeful my head will eventually stop producing so much oil, or, if it doesn't, well, that doesn't necessarily mean I have to go back to being a poo slave!

As for soap on my body, I'm using a lot less of it these days. A very small amount of Dr. B, mostly under my arms and a very gentle facial soap. I've also been ditching makeup (not that I even wore much anyway) and am just feeling in general like my skin/hair/self is more healthy.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:26 PM

I tried to post this last night and due to a glitch it got erased.

For my pits I use BS with ACV before I rinse BS to make a little fizz. It works for odors way more than BS alone.

For my yoni I use water iwth diluted ACV or lemon juice rinse.

For my bum I use BS with ACV or lemon diluted rinse.

For the rest of me I use an organic bristle brush from WF ($5) and brush my skin in small circles and then just use water to rinse. That way the dirt and extra cells go but the oil doesn't. It exfoliates, unclogs pores and frees up ingrown hairs. on my face I have been using BS with ACV rinse with no problems, I tone with distilled witch hazel, rosemary EC and comfrey extract.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:56 PM

Hello! Popping in to say I've joined this no shampoo bandwagon. I'm on day 7, I think. I've been using bs/acv every third day. Things are going pretty well. I haven't noticed it looking either better or worse really, but the biggest plus is that I haven't had to use any defrizzulator and I can brush my hair when it's dry and not have it turn into a great big poofball! Yay!

Once we have some money I'll probably try adding some eo's to my routine somehow.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:20 PM

Two weeks into no-poodom and things feel nice. My short salt and pepper hair is really soft. I plucked some rosemary from my garden and made a rinse, so yesterday's routine was bs for pits (took three times to tame a nasty bo start) then bs on hair, rinsed with acv and then rosemary rinse. I feel a little itchy but haven't brushed it today. For my pits, I put on a dab of lavender eo under each. What might be a good carrier or supplement to this to spread the eo around a little more and help it not irritate the skin (which it hasn't, but I am concerned it might).

This seems like a great week to go do free and body soap free as my boys both have chickenpox. They are getting oatmeal baths (oldest is on his 3rd of the day), so no matter how itchy I feel, I know they feel worse. I like cotton clothing but have a few mom shirts with some polyester mixed in for stretch. They sure seem to hold any bo more than cotton. I used an agava washcloth on my first no soap shower, which felt good, but I love the idea of the body brush. Maybe a special treat for myself for making it through the week with two sick kids.

Luckily it is sunny here so we got outside, which brings me to my last idea/question. Since we are going down this old-fashioned road (that what it feels like, plus earlier in the year I read Nutritioning Traditions, an nutrition food advocating old-fashioned foods), does anyone use rainwater for washing your hair? We have two rain barrels for our garden and I always viewed the water as dirty since it came off our roof, but maybe during the rainier seasons, it might be worth a try. Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:38 PM

I am in week three of being poo free and am loving it.

JoyfulMomma
Old 03-02-2004, 10:53 PM

I've always loved rainwater, and I seem to remember hearing it called 'good for hair' in some way or other. I think it would mostly depend on what the rain in your area is like - I'd worry more about possible air/water pollution issues than dirt from the roof...
Rain here in Cali is usually fine, growing up in Texas it was great - really warm, but when I was living in Illinois the rain was downright toxic - would melt nail polish and panty hose off women I knew, left residue on my car, smelled funny. (ick) I was scared to go out in it, and I *love* being in rain.

Would like to know if anyone knows exactly what about normal rainwater is supposed to be good for hair though.... I'd be up for giving it a shot.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:00 PM

for my face i've been using a devine gentle scrub i make at home, with white clay, ground up oatmeal, ground up rose petals and lavenderflowers, some cornmeal, and adrop or two of e.o. for the whole batch..
1 cup white clay
3/4 cup oatmeal (ground to a fine powder in the blender)
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup each ground rose and lavender flowers
2-4 drops e.o of choice ( i use rosemary, chamomile, orange or lavender would also be really nice!)
i just mix this all up in a glass jar, and store it dry in the cupboard. then take a tbsp amount in my hand, mix with water and gently rub into my skin and then rinse!
so nourishing, and good for the skin!
i also make my own body and face lotions with aloe vera gel beeswax, and jojoba, sweet alomond and coconut oils.
SO delightful!

as for pits, i find a dab of tea tree mixed with a handful of aloe gel spread on under neath works great...and i'm a stinky girl!

this is week 2 of no shampoo... i plan on washing once a week, and tomorrow is my day, but even though i'm a LITTLE greasy on top, it isn't so bad anymore...at least in my eyes...
Old 03-02-2004, 11:37 PM

plantspirit I have to bow to your greatness....
Old 03-03-2004, 01:32 AM

It has been over three weeks for me, and I love it. My dh even jumped on board.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:41 AM

Ok, first to ask a question I asked on the other board Anyone have any tips for thinning hair? (besides going no poo since I'm already there :LOL).

So today my hair was outstanding! Fantastic! The best it's been in a long while (LONG while - poo or no poo!). Beautiful curls, a definite lack of frizz, nice texture, just awesome!

This morning I washed with one scrambled egg mixed with about 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1 tbs of honey (approximate amounts since I mixed it up in the bathroom). I rinsed well with water and then did my normal balsamic vinegar rinse.

YOWZER! Seriously, my hair was to die for today! I don't know if it was the "shampoo" I made or was it the tail end of friday's oil experiment? Well, I'm going to try the egg again once a week or so and see. I wish my hair looked like that every day

I think I'm on week 3 of no poo and almost 2 weeks of no BS, whoo hoo!

Cindi I hope your chicken pox'd guys are feeling better soon! Your maiden name (if you changed it) doesn't start with a W does it? (my best friend from grade school spelled her name with an "i").
Old 03-03-2004, 01:44 AM

Just wondering why everyone is going Shampoo- and soap free? Aren't there healthy ones out there?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:05 AM

I think different people are doing it for different reasons

The basic theory is that shampoo actually strips your scalp of oil so it over compensates by chugging out more oil, which you strip the next time you poo, and it throws out even more and so on and so on and so on . . . . .

And there are some people who worry about the definitions of "natural" and how some so called natural shampoos really aren't all that.

And then, there *are* some great natural shampoos but they cost an arm and a leg (like Aubrey Organics - nice stuff - too much $$$!).

Me, I'm doing it cuz I'm a nut ild and think stuff like this is fun :LOL

( I use soap though! I'm addicted to my yummy oatmeal soap )
Old 03-03-2004, 03:40 AM

One of the reasons I am going no poo is that my son is allergic to shampoo, even the ones from the health food store. They have chemicals in them, most all do. He doesn't use shampoo except maybe once every four months, and I wanted to experiment with my hair using different things to see what can be done without chemicals. He just lets it get really greasy not washing it for months, and with bs and all of these other things, I am showing him that he does have options. His hair is long and flowing way past his shoulders now. When he does wash it, as he did yesterday, it looks very shiny and healthy though. Makes you wonder.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 5talentservant
Just wondering why everyone is going Shampoo- and soap free? Aren't there healthy ones out there?
Soap is defatting to the skin and alkaline. Skin is a little more acidic than neutral, and so is hair. Soap and shampoo remove oil that is naturaly there and the body overcompensates by creating more oil to make up fo rit. We are trying to get back to the natural balance where our skin produces the oil that it needs. Amongst other things. I haven't found an all natural shampoo, though many seem like they are. The only thing that comes close is castille soap and Dr Bronners is making organic now. Still, it is drying and alkaline. Regardless of the better soap and shampoos out there, this is a better way to clean bodies. IMO anyway.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:50 PM

Is this apple cider vinegar? Or what?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:20 PM

It has been 3 weeks & one day no-poo for me! I love how my hair looks! My mom keeps calling me her "little greaseball"! But of course she's just teasing. :LOL I'm sure she thinks I've gone off the deep end, as I am the girl who for years got my nails done (acryllic pink & whites) and her toes done (alternate weeks). Mt best friend keeps asking "What happened to you? This is ot the Amy I know!" I just tell her that I've done some research & changed my life-style accordingly! Really, my hair isn't very greasy, just heavier than it used to be.

AmiBeth

Old 03-03-2004, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yequanamama
Is this apple cider vinegar? Or what?
Yep, it's Apple Cider Vinegar. Diluted of course.

AmiBeth

User Tag List