Sponge for AF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking at alternatives to tampons/pads. I have heard about sponges just quickly. Do any of you use them? Do you like it? How's it work? What kind of sponge would I be looking for? I'm someone who is scared to try something if I don't really understand all the steps, so feel free to really spell it out.

If you think it's a bad idea or you've not had a good experience with it I'm definitely interested in hearing about that too!

Thanks!

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.
#2 of 8 Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 AM

I don't know anything about sponges but I LOVE my diva cup

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#3 of 8 Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Perhaps the sponge is even more alternative than the folks here. Haha.

Maybe I should look further at the Diva Cups. They just seem so big and intrusive....

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.
#4 of 8 Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I switched to the diva cup last summer and I love it. It does look a little intimidating at first sight ;-) but I got used to it very quickly. As an especially appreciated side effect I save laundry.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#5 of 8 Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 PM

I think I want to order a diva cup, is it comfortable? I've also thought about sponge, but Diva Cup looks much easier to clean.

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#6 of 8 Old 03-10-2010, 02:49 PM

It's great when you get it in right. Some women can never get a good fit with one, though, so you buy it and hope for the best. It is SOOOOOO worth it if it works for you though.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#7 of 8 Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 PM

I looked into the sponges but from what I read it seems to work best if you have a fairly light flow. Since mine is medium/heavy (more on the medium side since I stopped using tampons actually!) I passed.

Like the above posters I also use the DivaCup. There are several different cups out there to choose from, the Diva is the only one I could find locally though. It took a couple of cycles to get used to getting it in and out well but I love it. I can't feel it once it's inserted, just like with tampons (but without the dryness that tampons cause).
#8 of 8 Old 03-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I've done the sponge thing in the past. You do have to have a lighter flow, it wouldn't work for someone with seriously heavy days. Also you have to check it regularly - if it gets too full and you cough or sneeze, to quote Inga Muscio "you get a big red how-do-you-do" on your undies. Some people also are concerned about TSS or the harvesting of them as well.

As to your questions:

Do any of you use them? I used to, but not for heavier days

Do you like it? Yes I did, it was comfortable

How's it work? Upon getting them, boil in water for three minutes (I"m pretty sure that's how long) and let dry. When you need to use it, wet it, and stick it in. When you notice it's full, take it out, rinse it out and either switch it with another one or put it back in. When you're finished, soak in vinegar/water solution and allow to dry (dry in the sun for stains). You can use them over and over to a point. YOu can boil them again too if you prefer.

What kind of sponge would I be looking for? Sea sponges. I've bought them from an arts/crafts store or you can buy them from Jade and Pearl

You can also wear them during AF DTD, if you're into that, but if it is full it can get squeezed out, if you catch my drift.

Actually I think I might try using them again. My flow has decreased quite a bit since DD was born and it might be a perfect solution for me.

Edited to say, that on the Jade and Pearl brochure site they recommend not boiling them, as it toughens them and reduces their life span. But, I've never noticed much of a problem. They do have a life spane though.

signature currently in transition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page