Deodorant rash, need an alternative - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH developed a red, blotchy rash in his armpits that went away when he stopped using deodorant. Problem is, he has body odor now and is embarrassed about it. He's tried using natural deodorants and they caused the rash, too. He's tried using Axe body spray, which helps a bit, but he can't spray it under his arms or he gets a rash. He says he washes his armpits 2 or 3 times a day but still gets body odor pretty quickly.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 03-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Has this always been an issue or is this a relatively new development? Did he change brands recently? What brand does he use? My husband and I have reacted to several brands, but now we use Sure solid - Original, NOT INVISIBLE!! I'm sure there are other brands out there he can try, but in general I'd recommend trying products that have been around and unchanged for a long time. Body odor is also a response to bacteria on your skin, so maybe folks have some suggestions on how to work with your body's natural flora instead of against it...

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 13 Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 PM

I stopped washing with soap and no longer have BO. Washing away the good bacteria on your skin gives the bad bacteria a leg up and then you end up with stink, the more you wash the worse it gets. I'd tell him to just use water and try a crystal stick if he hasn't already.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#4 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM

I dealt with that (after using Funk Butter) and couldn't use any deodrant for over a year. I made my own deodorant just using coconut oil, arrowroot powder, and baking soda and that is working great. There's also the crystal rock deodorant. I haven't tried it yet but just got it yesterday to experiment but I know a lot of people have had success with it.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#5 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM

I, too, have been loving homemade deodorant!! I used to use Dr. Hauschka, and also Weleda (which is a lovely spray-- he might try something like that?). But I still had BO and had to re-apply several times a day. With this recipe I can apply once in the morning and am good all day! I love it!

http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angr...de-deodor.html

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#6 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It occurred suddenly a few months ago, and he hadn't changed deodorants. He was using some regular brand. It just keeps coming back with anything he uses.

The crystal stick didn't work - can't remember if it was because it caused a rash, too, or just didn't work. (FWIW, I tried it after he gave up on it and I didn't like it either.)

I'll share the ideas with him -- maybe just water, no soap, and the homemade deodorant may work. What ratio of oil, arrowroot, and baking soda do you use?

Thanks!
#7 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 PM

2 tablespoons each of baking soda, arrowroot podwer, and coconut oil. You can add a few drops of essential oil. I did lavender.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#8 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM

This is prob. a dumb question but where can you find arrowroot powder?

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#9 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 02:48 PM

I would NOT use baking soda with that rash! Absolutely no way. Once it's cleared up it'd be okay to try it but baking soda itself makes a lot of people (myself included) break out in an itching, burning rash.
FWIW crystal sticks never worked for me either until I quit using soap

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#10 of 13 Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful~Life View Post
This is prob. a dumb question but where can you find arrowroot powder?
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com

#11 of 13 Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 AM

^thanks!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#12 of 13 Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
2 tablespoons each of baking soda, arrowroot podwer, and coconut oil. You can add a few drops of essential oil. I did lavender.
Great! I appreciate getting this recipe and the link to one earlier. I have the ingredients for this one on hand, so will try it for both of us

The rash is gone now - it always clears a few days after he stops the deodorant - so hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks, everyone!
#13 of 13 Old 07-31-2011, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wouldn't recommend baking soda either, until the rash is gone and even then, the BS may cause it to come back. I use just coconut oil (virgin) and it works for the most part, although sometimes not so much. But if he's washing multiple times a day, he could certainly reapply CO a couple of times throughout the day to freshen up too. Of course, it's preferable not to have to do that, but I'd rather do that than have that rash!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page