Nose piercing Update 4/13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas!

I have wanted to pierce my nose since the first Indian woman I saw when I was little. I thought it was so beautiful!

Here is my dilemma: I have various allergies to various metals and I am not sure I would be able to tolerate a nose ring.

I have heard they use a special type of metal for the nose that people are less likely to be allergic to. Does anyone know about this?

My ears are pierced, but I don't wear earrings too often (maybe once every couple/few years). I usually put them in every time I want to pierce my nose to remind myself that it might not work. I seem to be able to wear my studs (surgical steel, I believe) and I used to be able to wear earrings that dangled. I wore 14 k gold earrings that didn't dangle (the last time I put earrings in) and they drove me nuts by the end of the day.

Please let me know your experiences. I was also thinking about talking with a piercing place. Also, what's a good place to have it done? The only place I can think of are tattoo parlors that do piercing.

What do you think?

Healing Mama to :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM

go for gold, silver or stainless steel. Stay way from "cheap" metal. I can only wear these things as well.
#3 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 PM

fwiw I cant wear earrings in my ears for very long or they get infected. I have had my nose pierced 5 yrs now and have never had a problem.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#4 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Banned

what you want is titanium--it's the most bio-compatable metal and most commonly used for replacement joints and the like.

second to that, you want surgical grade stainless steel.

gold and all others tend to be very reactive. the jewelry will be more expensive, but worth it.

be sure you go to a very good piercer. check out Body Modification E-zine for listings and reviews of people in your area.

i had my nostril pierced in copenhagen at gorlubb by jack. he's one of the best in DK, and I really love him. It was painless and quick, and they had surgical steel nostril studs in stock (you can ask about that).

I had my septum pierced in philadelphia at infinite by kevin jump. kevin is now in cincinatti (but visits philly to guest pierce). I also had my nipples done there by Megg--one of the owners of the shop. she was amazing. the original jewelry for all of the piercings was surgical steel (based on availablility) by anatometal (one of the best jewelry companies).

i highly recommend finding the exact right person to do your piercing. what i've found is that you really create a relationship--even if you don't have other work done.

i had my piercing done in copenhagen back in 2002, and i still have contact with jack. i talk with kevin pretty much every week via FB. so, you know, you form a relationship. i don't talk to megg so much.

and here in wellington, we met two awesome people who own a shop here--Ninjaflower. we really llike them, though it will be a while before i get more work done (nipple piercings migrated out, long story, but then i got pregnant and started nursing so i won't get anything done until DS weans; and i am thinking about getting a clitoral hood piercing done also--though i might go to Kevin for that in particular, though scott is a great guy and i trust him, i just have a longer relationship with kevin and that's an important piercing for me).

so, yeah, find someone really good--using BME site--and ask around, meet people, interview. talk about your sensitivities (eg, metals and your ears), and they can help you out.

have fun with it!
#5 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! And Zoebird, I will check out the sight. I learned a lot from your post--I appreciate it.

So, it sounds like it may work for me! Anyone else with experiences (positive or negative), I welcome your input as well.

Healing Mama to :
#6 of 15 Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 AM

I have extremely sensitive skin and am allergic to most metals (except for sterling silver) and I have had my nose pierced for 5 years. I have loved it and haven't had any problems with it at all. I got mine pierced at a tattoo parlor and they did a great job.

Good luck!!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#7 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 PM

The implant grade is surgical stainless steel 316L. You clean it with dial antibacterial soap, and if you get crusties use yellow Seabreeze facial astringent on a Q-tip to gently work them off. The nose is a hard pierce to heal for some, but it is worth it in my eyes. Take Ibuprofen right after you have it done to keep the swelling down since that is really where you get a bunch of pain. The soreness and swelling should subside in a few weeks, but keep it clean with the 3-4 times a regiment I mentioned till fully healed and it should be fine.
#8 of 15 Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM

^that is good advice!

Also when I got mine pierced the guy that was piercing it tried to get me to go with a hoop because he said it would heal easier and faster than a stud. I went with the stud though and it still healed fine.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#9 of 15 Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

also, over-cleaning can make it slow to heal for some people. our piercers often recommend 1-2 washes per day (though kevin prefers 0-1 wash), and salt water soaks when it feels bad.
#10 of 15 Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 AM

thanks for all of this great info...this answered all of my questions!

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#11 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatangel19 View Post
The implant grade is surgical stainless steel 316L. You clean it with dial antibacterial soap, and if you get crusties use yellow Seabreeze facial astringent on a Q-tip to gently work them off. The nose is a hard pierce to heal for some, but it is worth it in my eyes. Take Ibuprofen right after you have it done to keep the swelling down since that is really where you get a bunch of pain. The soreness and swelling should subside in a few weeks, but keep it clean with the 3-4 times a regiment I mentioned till fully healed and it should be fine.

See, I have read a few piercing sites now, and they do not recommend Seabreeze and the like. It looks like they mostly recommend salt water rinses. And I have to say, the salt water rinse has worked for me with my earlobes (I recently put my studs back in after not wearing for a long time, I think I repierced one--I don't know, but they hurt for a while until I started using saline solution--awesome stuff). I guess I will follow what my piercer says if/when I get my nose pierced.

Thank you everyone! Has anyone had a bad reaction? Not that I am looking for negativity, but I do want to know if this has happened to anyone and how it was resolved.

You guys rock. I appreciate the info!

Healing Mama to :
#12 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 04:10 AM

Strangely enough I react to so many cheap metals (watches, necklaces, earings) yet I can wear the cheapest nose studs I can find!

Hope you go for it, I love my nose piercing.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#13 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 AM

I wanted to add that there is a natural product that my piercing lady introduced me to, nutattoo. I found it very helpful for after care. I wish I had some of this years ago during my first piercing.
#14 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
What you are probably allergic to is nickel and it's found in the cheaper metals and even in gold. I too can't wear gold or sterling silver. They itch, they get all red and gross and eventually infected. I only wear stainless steel because titanium is so expensive. I have my eyebrow pierced and my ears and had my navel done until the end of my last pregnancy. I had no issues with the stainless steel once I got that figured out, no issues with healing or long-term. I've had a stainless steel captive bead ring in my eyebrow for almost 11 years now and it's never given me a single bit of trouble.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#15 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

I got my nostril pierced! I LOVE it!! This is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time.

Thank you all for your input!!

Healing Mama to :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page