Shaving your legs, pros and cons - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the feeling of freshly shaved legs, so while I hate shaving, I do it for the reward.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#32 of 48 Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
Doesn't that just hurt like ... like ... like something that hurts REALLY A LOT? You're just ripping the hairs out by the roots, aren't you? And not all in one fell swoop, like waxing ...
I guess if one has been shaving for years it'd hurt a bit at first but it is just a matter of time before you get used to it.

The hairs get thinner and scarcier with the epilator as the time goes by, so I personally do not feel any pain at all, just a minor discomfort, even in my armpit area.
#33 of 48 Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM

I can stand the pain of waxing, but epilating is just too much. It hurts like fire ants biting me all over my legs. I refuse!

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#34 of 48 Old 04-01-2010, 02:37 PM

OT: KaylaBeanie, I LOVE your sig! I am cracking up over here!

Anyway, I am contemplating this question myself. I don't shave during the winter, but I love wearing skirts and shorts in the summer. And dresses and tank tops. I don't really care what others think (well, a little), but I like to look nice and groomed sometimes, and I have a hard time reconciling my hairy legs with a nice little sundress at my husband's work party or whatever. You know?

But I'm not shaving, at least for now. Too lazy.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#35 of 48 Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 PM

I hate the hassle of shaving and i dont like the societal view that women have to DO so much to be considered "kept up" or beautiful....but my conditioning has been conditioned and i just feel cleaner and more sexy when i shave

I usually dont shave very often tho I try to step it up during the warm months and because i know the hubs prefers me shaved. Im interested in epilators, but i detest waxing and im scared that epilating will hurt even more.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#36 of 48 Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM

I just waxed last week for the first time in 10 years. I did not shave my legs for a long time either, maybe 2 years? Anyways... I love waxing and will continue doing it. I hate shaving. Hate. hate. hate it!!

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#37 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Well, I ended up shaving my legs, but not my underarms. I don't mind the armpit hair nearly as much as the leg hair, I even think it's kind of cute. But the leg hair was driving me up the wall, and I'm happy I shaved it. It would be awesome if I could learn to love it, but oh well.

#38 of 48 Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Birdie B. ---- I love my freshly shaved legs but could never bring a razor to my armpits Enjoy what makes you feel good!

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#39 of 48 Old 04-10-2010, 11:23 PM

@ Shadow Moon - that's so funny that you do the same thing! I figure, I"m comfortable this way, so that's all that matters.

#40 of 48 Old 04-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananas View Post
I love the feeling of freshly shaved legs, so while I hate shaving, I do it for the reward.
Ditto. I LOVE the feel of freshly shaved legs, although it does kinda bug me about fresh sheets touching them. Dunno why, just don't like the feeling after a few minutes.

Seriously?
#41 of 48 Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 AM

Time. I have no time to shave regularly. I'm crunchy enough that no one I know would care if I stopped shaving completely, and I'm secure enough in this way to not care. It doesn't make me less lady-like. But my leg hair is coarse enough that it gets uncomfortable in jeans and in dance tights.
#42 of 48 Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
jkn

I could take it or leave it. I don't shave my legs often, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I HATE the feeling of prickly legs, but sometimes it's worth it for smooth legs.
#43 of 48 Old 04-16-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie B. View Post
OT: KaylaBeanie, I LOVE your sig! I am cracking up over here!

Anyway, I am contemplating this question myself. I don't shave during the winter, but I love wearing skirts and shorts in the summer. And dresses and tank tops. I don't really care what others think (well, a little), but I like to look nice and groomed sometimes, and I have a hard time reconciling my hairy legs with a nice little sundress at my husband's work party or whatever. You know?

But I'm not shaving, at least for now. Too lazy.
Ha thank you! I have gotten so many LOLs at my sig, when it was a total accident! My browser was freaking out, so I accidentally deleted my signature. I made one up quickly, and decided to keep it after having people find it so funny

Also, I totally agree with the laziness thing. I occasionally get this awful rash on my legs (whether or not I shave ), and it itches so bad I scratch the skin off. Shaving over scabs is no fun, so I'm rocking the jeans in this gorgeous 80 degree weather

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#44 of 48 Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Pros:

1. quick
  2. cheap (ish)
  3. easy
  4. smooth legs
  5. less painful than waxing

Cons:

1. dry skin
  2. ingrown hair (possibly)
  3. safety (may get cut)
  4. probably not as sanitary as salon waxing
  5. have to repeat regularly to maintain smoothness

btw (by the way) im not a mom

#45 of 48 Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love waxing. I use an organic soy wax and it removes the hair easily.  And it is true, when you wax, the hair comes back soft (no blunt edge from shaving) and sparse.

#46 of 48 Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM

laura what brand of organic soy wax do you use instead of shaving? I would love to stop shaving my legs because they always itch so badly afterward.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#47 of 48 Old 05-16-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativarain1 View Post
I would love to stop shaving my legs because they always itch so badly afterward.

exfoliate well before hand, use a good sharp razor, apply body oil while still damp. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#48 of 48 Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 PM

I hate, hate, hate shaving and haven't for a year now.  It gives me terrible razor burn everytime no matter how many bajillion blades the thing has or fancy moisture strips or if I use the shave gel/cream for sensitive skin.  I have coarse, thick, dark brown hair and pale skin so no hair removal is very noticeable.  I wax once a summer for the family beach trip and that's it.  I'm not comfortable rocking my hairiness, maybe someday... 

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page