Shaving your legs, pros and cons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't shaved my legs in 4 years, and for some reason I decided that I want to this year.
I'm thinking maybe I will enjoy feeling lady-like and somewhat "pampered". But then think about how white my legs will look, and they'll be prickly if I don't shave every other day.

Just would like some opinions from you ladies to help me make up my mind
#2 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
How long did it take 4 years ago for the feel to go from prickly to silky when you grew it out? I would think just a few months, so if you decide to shave you can always grow it out again if you end up not liking it or not wanting to keep up with it.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM

I hate shaving, I hate stubble, and I hate having "spiky" legs if I don't shave every single day. So when I want to go hair-free on my legs I wax. It is soooo much more pleasant in the long run.
#4 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 PM

The cons are that it's more work than not doing it, you can get razor burn, and the upkeep is a hassle.

The pro, aside from the obvious social acceptability, bla bla bla, is that it exfoliates your legs so your skin actually looks nicer and healthier. And your legs feel wonderful to touch, at least during the pre-stubble phase ...
#5 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I shave. I used to not shave, but I work out a lot now and the feeling of breezy hair on my legs while I'm riding my bike or running, is not something I care for. I don't mind shaving, it gives me a chance to soak in the tub for a bit.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#6 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
I hate shaving, I hate stubble, and I hate having "spiky" legs if I don't shave every single day. So when I want to go hair-free on my legs I wax. It is soooo much more pleasant in the long run.
This!!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#7 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM

I shave every day because I hate the feeling of stubble and I hate waxing. (I would have really hairy legs if I didn't shave, not just peach fuzz.) It takes me... what, like 30 seconds to shave? It's totally a nonhassle. I take showers or baths every day anyway, what's an extra few seconds? I don't do a careful job of shaving knees or anything, I just run the razor up and down and whatever. I don't remember the last time I cut myself, maybe 10 years ago? The only downside is buying razors (disposable ones are crap) because it's like $30 for a refill pack now, but it lasts a while anyway. I buy one maybe once every 4-6 months I guess. It is totally a nonhassle and I feel fine - not even "pampered" or special or anything, just normal.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#8 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 PM

I really enjoy the groomed feeling that I feel about myself when I shave. I've gone the non-shaving route, and it's just not for me. I always felt as if I wasn't groomed and was not presenting myself in the best way I could. Do I care about societail pressures? In some ways yes, others not so much, but I felt better about myself and how I was choosing to present myself to the world. My feeling on the matter is what has convienced me to continue to shave.
As for the expense.. Not an issue. maybe $10 a year in cost of razor blades, if that? The time, what maybe 2 minutes max if I want to do a detailed job? Not an issue for me either.

Good luck on figuring out what will make you feel best, and if you do shave this year, you can always go back and stop. Sure you'll have a month or whatever of pickles, but it's a fairly fast process to stop shaving and grow your hair.
#9 of 48 Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 PM

I haven't shaved in over a year but I used to shave everything on my body below my neck so I want to throw in my opinion

Pros: other people don't look at you funny if your legs are shaven (at least not because you have hairy legs lol)

Cons: stubble (for me it's like 5:00 shadow), it itches, razor burn, nicks, expense of razors, dries my legs out, garbage produced by the razors (they have to go somewhere when you're done with them and they aren't recyclable), you don't get to experience the wind in your hair, you always have to worry about whether or not you shaved when you put on a skirt or shorts (my hair is black and my legs are WHITE so it's very visible), it takes too long and uses more water, using shaving cream puts more chemicals on your skin and down your drain, I feel it buys into a whole system of oppression of women and refusal to accept us in our natural state.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#10 of 48 Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
I hate shaving, I hate stubble, and I hate having "spiky" legs .....

Yeah me too....I loathe having to shave....I'm just lazy I guess...but I hate looking like a gorilla even more...so....I shave.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#11 of 48 Old 03-17-2010, 04:10 AM

I've got serious hair leg. I wish I liked it and felt comfortable with it but I don't. It's fine to grow out for cold weather months, but in the warm months I wax.

I use 1 cup white sugar and 3 cups white vinegar. Heat it stirring constantly on the stove until you get a single thread when holding the spoon up from the mixture. Let it cool some (it still needs to be warm though) and apply with a wooden crafting stick going with the grain of the hair. Then use a strip of cloth, cotton, but not t-shirt type, press it to the wax and lift off against the grain of the hair. So normally, you apply it in a downward motion on your leg, and remove it starting from the lowest point and lifting up. It's a bit painful, but not bad. Actually the pain is much preferable to razor cut in the shower IMO. I usually shower after to get rid of residual stickiness and I have smooth legs for 2 weeks. If I keep at it the hair on my legs does grow in less thickly.

The cloth strips just get thrown in with a hot wash and they are re-usable. It takes some time but works better for me cuz I usually don't get to shower alone since I'm a single SAHM of a toddler. I can do this while she naps and because the hair isn't "cut" with a razor, regrowth is less stubbly or prickly feeling, if that makes sense.
#12 of 48 Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 AM

I shave my legs and that's it. I do it because I prefer the feel of smooth legs. I just run an electric razor over them in them morning. The biggest con for me is itchiness once the stubble grows in.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#13 of 48 Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
you don't get to experience the wind in your hair
#14 of 48 Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
LOL! It's true! I always thought that shaved legs were great because they felt so good on silky sheets or warm jeans, but nope, wind in your hair feels soooo much better than that. Wind in your armpit hair is an even higher level of pleasure I like to stand outside in the sunshine in the summer and just feel the wind on my hair, it's awesome.

Theia, I have serious leg hair too. I live next to a college town and I think it's hilarious that I have bigger boobs than most of the girls AND hairier legs than most of the boys I'm pretty out there though, dreadlocks and all that good stuff, so comfortable with leg hair isn't much of issue for me

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#15 of 48 Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post
I've got serious hair leg. I wish I liked it and felt comfortable with it but I don't. It's fine to grow out for cold weather months, but in the warm months I wax.

I use 1 cup white sugar and 3 cups white vinegar. Heat it stirring constantly on the stove until you get a single thread when holding the spoon up from the mixture. Let it cool some (it still needs to be warm though) and apply with a wooden crafting stick going with the grain of the hair. Then use a strip of cloth, cotton, but not t-shirt type, press it to the wax and lift off against the grain of the hair. So normally, you apply it in a downward motion on your leg, and remove it starting from the lowest point and lifting up. It's a bit painful, but not bad. Actually the pain is much preferable to razor cut in the shower IMO. I usually shower after to get rid of residual stickiness and I have smooth legs for 2 weeks. If I keep at it the hair on my legs does grow in less thickly.

The cloth strips just get thrown in with a hot wash and they are re-usable. It takes some time but works better for me cuz I usually don't get to shower alone since I'm a single SAHM of a toddler. I can do this while she naps and because the hair isn't "cut" with a razor, regrowth is less stubbly or prickly feeling, if that makes sense.
How long does the hair have to be for this to work?
#16 of 48 Old 03-19-2010, 05:03 PM

About a 1/4 inch I think. lol I'm not good with measurements, but I usually have to let my hair grow out for a week or 10 days for it to be long enough for the wax to hold it.

You can always make your batch, do a test patch, if the hair isn't long enough then cover and set it aside for a few more days. I've never had to refrigerate it between waxing sessions. Just reheat and go. I will say it is a bit smelly, the vinegar when it is heating, but when the weather is nice you can open windows. It also helps to put a towel on the floor for your work area to sit on, you will get drips and stuff. The towel makes for easy clean up.
#17 of 48 Old 03-19-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
Theia, I have serious leg hair too. I live next to a college town and I think it's hilarious that I have bigger boobs than most of the girls AND hairier legs than most of the boys I'm pretty out there though, dreadlocks and all that good stuff, so comfortable with leg hair isn't much of issue for me
See, I wish I was funky like that (I mean it in a good way). But I'm not I do have some serious leg hair though. They are very manly looking ATM. I'm waiting for a bit more warm weather to start my waxing for this year. I do like not having to deal with it at all in the winter months....
#18 of 48 Old 03-19-2010, 05:50 PM

I haven't shaved my legs since the Reagan administration.

Everytime I think about doing it again, I think of what a pita it was, how you have to keep up with it for them to look good, how I can't even keep my kitchen floor mopped regularly...and I quickly revert to the status quo.

If I really liked the feel of smooth legs, I might do it. But I don't, particularly. And I resent the idea that I should remove something natural to be attractive.
#19 of 48 Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM

If I feel like shaving I do. If I don't feel like shaving I don't.
#20 of 48 Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 AM

This may seem evil to you, but one time I shaved just one leg after not shaving our entire marriage (only 2 years at that point). Then, I asked my husband to feel both legs and tell me which one he thought I had shaved. He couldn't tell! I've never shaved since.

To be fair, I do have white skin and blond leg hair. I also have enough American Indian in me to make my body hair scarce. My poor sister got the german genes and she has to shave daily. Sometimes I feel guilty about my shiny legs, but then I get over it.
#21 of 48 Old 03-26-2010, 03:46 PM

I could have written this last week. I did end up shaving as dh and I were on a "romantic" weekend and he didn't even notice. I hadn't shaved in over four years! When I finally brought it to his attention, he said he didn't care one way or the other but he'd prefer that if I wanted to shave to do it daily as it does get prickly. He personally preferred it long. Guess I'm growing it back out. haha

BTW, I hated it the second the razor hit my legs and 24 hours later I had razor burn behind my knees and under my arms and I hate the feeling. I have really dark, long hair so it looks odd but I don't care.
#22 of 48 Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Oh, ow!

I never shave behind my knees (when I bother to shave ...). Is there even hair back there? I can't find any!
#23 of 48 Old 03-27-2010, 04:51 AM

As far as pros, I think it depends on the person! I know that I'm one of those girls who feels absolutely amazing and sexy with freshly shaved legs and a home mani-pedi. So, if you feel like it'll make you feel sexy and put together, give it a try! I know that in the winter, I'll go weeks without shaving and be fine with it, but once I shave I regain that groomed, put-together feeling I love so much.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#24 of 48 Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 AM

See, at this point in time the only person who see's me nekkid is my 2yo DD. She doesn't care, and I don't mind either. But I am light skinned with dark hair also. I want to have that groomed feeling that KaylaBeanie speaks of. I don't need it all the time, but I want to feel like I can go swimming with DD and not be self conscious of the hairy stuff. Not that people should feel self conscious of that. It's just where I am. FWIW, if I shave, I don't shave much above the knees, except for the area's where it starts getting dark on the inner thighs about mid-way up. That is a big point of sensitivity for me. I'm fine not grooming that if it's just me. But if there is a swimsuit or anyone else (aside from DD) that is going to see that much of me, then I feel like I look best if I attend to that. Otherwise I would be incredibly self conscious. Ugh... I wish we didn't have such silly standards in society at large. Women should be allowed to be hairy and accepted. Just like the men with super hairy backs, you know!?
#25 of 48 Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 AM

Interesting. I'd really, really like to not shave...I think. It seems to take me an extra like 5 min. in the shower, and I do it every other day. I hate the time, the cost of razors, and the water I'm wasting. But...I really like having smooth legs. And I live in Florida, where shorts and/or skirts are the norm for at least 6 months of the year and of course bathing suits, too. I think I'd be willing to do it (I'm anti status quo enough as it is, what's one more stance?) but DH absolutely LOVES it when I shave.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#26 of 48 Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Epilators are not popular there? I think an epilator is one of the wisest investments a girl can ever make

I've been using an epilator for all parts of my body (legs, underarms, bikini area) ever since I was a teenager and now at 33 the hair on my legs is so thin and scarce that one can barely notice it! And once I use it then I forget all about hair removal for at least a couple of months!

I have never shaved, I personally do not like the feel and look of shaved legs (I can definitely tell when a girl is shaving instead of waxing or epilating, perhaps because shaving is not that popular here) and I hate the feeling of hot wax on my legs (not to mention the mess and the cost). I find that epilation is the secret to really smooth and lasting hair-free legs, give it a try!
#27 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusfloatus View Post
If I feel like shaving I do. If I don't feel like shaving I don't.
That's what I do, too. Maybe if I'm getting dressy, I'll do it, just like I'll throw on a tiny bit of makeup. Or if I get an indulgent soak in the tub. I like how good it feels to have smooth legs between the sheets, but I don't think I'd revel in that feeling if I had it everyday, KWIM?

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#28 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercat View Post
Epilators are not popular there? I think an epilator is one of the wisest investments a girl can ever make
Can you recommend one? I'd like to try a good one. I once bought one that didn't work at all, I think it was pretty cheaply made.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#29 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
Can you recommend one? I'd like to try a good one. I once bought one that didn't work at all, I think it was pretty cheaply made.
Do you have the Brown brand over there? I'd say that this is the most popular here in Europe. Also the Philips epilators are said to be very good.

I bought a very basic Brown Silk-Epil more than 10 years ago and it is still perfect. Of course the epilators nowdays come with all kinds of fancy accessories (flashlight, massaging tool et) but I find that I only need the basic function.
#30 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 PM

Doesn't that just hurt like ... like ... like something that hurts REALLY A LOT? You're just ripping the hairs out by the roots, aren't you? And not all in one fell swoop, like waxing ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page