If you DO use shampoo, what do you use? Looking for products as toxin-free as possible. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
How do these other SLS-free shampoos work for shiny,wavy hair? My hair is naturally very shiny and somewhat wavy but with no-poo and Aubrey Organics it leaves my hair dull and limp. I use a conditioner now afterwards (I'm using Aubrey Organics) but it's still not the same as it used to be.
Try the Giovanni line. They have a few different options.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for super fine hair that tends to be oily?
#33 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Try citric acid if you don't like the smell of vinegar (can't stand it myself and it makes husband crave fish & chips). Cheap enough if bought in bulk rather than at the pharmacy, and works just fine without any smell. I use 2 teaspoons per 8 oz/500ml of water and my large amounts of curly wavy hair are softer and less tangled than with anything else I've ever used. And I shed a lot less hair.

Happily married, with DS 08.2010
#34 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 04:22 PM

I'm glad to see so many recommendations for Jessicurl, not bad for a cottage industry! I've been using them for a few years now. They are spendy but if you buy in bulk it's about half price for a gallon. They even ship internationally now.

They also have tips and tutorials for several hair types, although it's geared principally towards people with curly hair. There's quite a regimen if you want to get into it, but I find Gentle Lathering shampoo/Too Shea conditioner plus a few drops of the Confident Coils after letting it air dry keeps me healthy, shiny, curly, and frizz-free.
#35 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM

I really love Alba hair products. I love the natural smell, the quality, and the way it makes my hair look. I also love the bottles (which counts for very little I know...but...something about those colors makes me smile...)

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#36 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
I love Organix...the coconut or shea formulas are the least drying of all I've tried.
I also like Organix coconut. I love the smell so much that I've become a total product line junkie - shampoo, conditioner, and detangler. The skin deep database isn't as lovely as some other stuff out there, though. Link

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#37 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove View Post
This is my hair too. I have been really liking Hugo everyday naturals. I wash my hair every other day.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#38 of 59 Old 05-19-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove View Post
My hair is like this. I use Aubrey's Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo and it works great. I used to wash every day or every other day and now I wash it only twice a week and it looks just fine!
I never use a conditioner though.
#39 of 59 Old 05-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
shampoo bar all the way. no waste packaging, easy to use and control the amount. no squirting out too much shampoo. i love them. there are several mama's here who make shampoo bars. i do, so does 3bee's1flower.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#40 of 59 Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the fine/oily hair recommedations! I will definitely be trying them out!
#41 of 59 Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I've tried no-poo regimens and have no luck with them. My DH uses baking soda and ACV, and likes it, and the two little ones I just use Dr. Bronner's on their heads, because they still really just have baby hair, but DD1 and I were blessed with these big bushy heads of wiry hair, and it just dries up like straw with the no poo. Besides, I LOATHE the smell of the vinegar. I make DH wash the shower every time he washes his hair, because I dislike it so much.

But the ingredients in some of even the more supposedly "natural" products are pretty questionable, aren't they? I don't know much about this. I'm looking for something that won't dry the heck out of my hair, but that is truly and genuinely safe. I don't wash my hair that often-- maybe once in the week, and DD1 maybe twice-- so I don't mind paying $$$ for something that's right for us.
I use matrix sleek look. I've used it for years and love it. I have long hair that tends to be dry and this works great for me
#42 of 59 Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I love John Master's products, but they are incredibly expensive, so they are only a once in awhile treat. I also really like Giovanni shampoos and conditioners.

#43 of 59 Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 PM

I just ordered some Giovanni! And then, Murphy's Law happened...I was shopping in Marshall's and found HUGE bottles for only $12.99! So, if you have a Marshall's near you, check it out! I never find organic stuff at such low prices. I am all stocked up now!

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#44 of 59 Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 AM

I have fine hair and I love Desert Essence Organics Green Apple & Ginger Thickening & Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner.
#45 of 59 Old 05-22-2010, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
I just ordered some Giovanni! And then, Murphy's Law happened...I was shopping in Marshall's and found HUGE bottles for only $12.99! So, if you have a Marshall's near you, check it out! I never find organic stuff at such low prices. I am all stocked up now!
Ooo, I'll have to check that out!

#46 of 59 Old 05-22-2010, 05:35 PM

I use shampoo bars from http://www.chagrinvalleysoap.com. I also buy soap from them, too. I love her stuff!
#47 of 59 Old 05-22-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscureepiphany View Post
I use shampoo bars from http://www.chagrinvalleysoap.com. I also buy soap from them, too. I love her stuff!
hey, thanks! I think I might give that a try. I've been looking up all the brands in this thread on skindeep and most of them score horribly. Chagrin gets a 0-2, and besides baby shampoos, I wasn't finding much else in that category. I don't care if my hair looks great; I don't want to scrub a bunch of toxins into my head.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#48 of 59 Old 05-23-2010, 04:52 AM

not sure if this has been mentioned. I've been using burts bees (the baby shampoo & wash) for my own hair too! I once asked the same question in a thread and got lots of replies and that was suggested, and I tried it and liked it and have been using ever since! lol

Here was mine

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...532&highlight=

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#49 of 59 Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 PM

I've been scouring the cosmetics database, too, to find the most inexpensive, well rated shampoo that is easy to find in Canada (many are available via web ordering from the US, which may result in duty/customs for us). I found http://well.ca/products/jason-natura...ily_10840.html which I believe ranks a '2' on the database and is reasonably priced. I ordered some and will see how well it works!

I'm going to check out the shampoo bars, too. I like the minimalist packaging, and was using baking soda, but found it really dried out my hair.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#50 of 59 Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM

I love Tigi Catwalk. It's sulfate free but I don't know how crunchy it is. Neither does my hair. We like it.

Joy, mama to Aquaboy (10), Goldilocks (8), Squidge (4)
#51 of 59 Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 AM

I've used Giovanni before and I really like it, especially the tea tree one, it makes my scalp tingle .

Right now I'm using Everyday Shea shampoo and conditioner. I love it! The shampoo is soap based, but I haven't found that I need vinegar or anything. They've only got a few ingredients, like 6 I think. Its pretty moisturizing, which is great for me. The best part though? The price, at Whole Foods its $9 for a 32 oz bottle! WAAAY cheaper than any other organic shampoo (Giovanni is that much for 12 oz. here).

I also like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, its pretty pricey so I only use it as a deep conditioner now and then, it is very moisturizing as well.

Mommy to DS (4)
#52 of 59 Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've tried everything! I have long hair with an oily scalp. So, I need to get my scalp clean but, not dry out my ends.

I hated Yes to Carrots just in case anyone is thinking aobut using them. It left a terrible coating on my hair and dried it out.

I just tried Organix and so far I really, really like it. I bought a couple varieties (it was on clearance at Target) and so far I really like the pomegranite variety. It works great on my hair - it cleanses without drying. And it works great on the kids. This one is a keeper!
#53 of 59 Old 06-26-2010, 12:42 AM

I've been way into the Pure Life Soap Co. lavender shampoo and conditioner. It's totally vegan, and free of sls, petrochemicals, parabens, alcohol, formaldehyde (which is in diazolidynyl urea (sp?)) etc. AND is the only shampoo I have ever used that doesn't make my hair get all poofy.
#54 of 59 Old 06-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
ETA: I have since switched to WEN after being unhappy with other no-poo methods. It's outrageously expensive but doesn't have terrible ingredients and I love my hair now.
I have long thick hair and was at my wits end with all the organic hair products making my hair like straw. I was almost going to go back to L'Oreal just for my hair and I was given the Wen products as a gift. I don't like thier other stuff but their shampoo is awesome but SO expensive!
I have not bought it since and use Giovanni but don't like it as much.
#55 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 06:58 PM

I get regular emails from the Dr. Mercola website and the most recent one brought me to his shampoo and conditioner collection that I think I want to try.

I keep finding that my favorite Pantene is messing with my scalp skin. AHH Or I suspect it is anyway.

Thanks to all those who have shared on this thread I will look into others that I may possibly find in health food stores or what not near here as I don't like shipping. My mail person has a habit of knocking once lightly and just leaving packages and I worry about it because we are not in the best neighborhood for that. DD scooter already got stolen TWICE within a few minutes being out. I got it back the first time with the handle bar pads pulled off but now its gone for good.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#56 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscureepiphany View Post
Also love their bars. Currently alternating between Ayurvedic herb and Chammomile & Citrus shampoo bars. Also use the Castile and calendula on my ds.
#57 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I did not read the whole thread...

The only thing I use is California Baby. So clean you could nearly eat it. No Sodium Laureth/yl Sulfate anything. That is my number one drawing factor. That is what makes my head and skin crazy!!!

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

#58 of 59 Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Those organic products at whole foods really work. My best friends mom works at one here and got her some diaper ointment because her newborn was having some rashes. Even the prescription med didn't clear it up. Then she used the organic brand her mom gave her and it was gone quick.

I'd like to try some of these shampoo bars but still need a conditioner on my long thick hair or I won't get a comb or brush through it easily without damaging hair more.

Do you use a natural conditioner too if so what?

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#59 of 59 Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM

I just use traditional black soap, it's organic and it is amazing on my hair cause it lathers so well. Then I condition with a mix of coconut oil, jojoba oil olive oil, eggs and shea butter (as a base to thicken the oily mixture) Leave that on for up to an hour or more. (wrap in shower cap or saran wrap) sometimes if i'm not too busy I'll sit under the dryer, but that will make the mixture runny so make sure you seal tightly. My hair feels so silky, it's shiny and healthy looking. I love all natural remedies, it's really fun! It's like art craft! Honey is good too, sometimes if I have it on hand, I use it in my conditioning recipe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page