If you DO use shampoo, what do you use? Looking for products as toxin-free as possible. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried no-poo regimens and have no luck with them. My DH uses baking soda and ACV, and likes it, and the two little ones I just use Dr. Bronner's on their heads, because they still really just have baby hair, but DD1 and I were blessed with these big bushy heads of wiry hair, and it just dries up like straw with the no poo. Besides, I LOATHE the smell of the vinegar. I make DH wash the shower every time he washes his hair, because I dislike it so much.

But the ingredients in some of even the more supposedly "natural" products are pretty questionable, aren't they? I don't know much about this. I'm looking for something that won't dry the heck out of my hair, but that is truly and genuinely safe. I don't wash my hair that often-- maybe once in the week, and DD1 maybe twice-- so I don't mind paying $$$ for something that's right for us.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The only organic/natural shampoos that I liked are Aubrey organics and jessicurl, and I have tried a lot of other organic shampoos before I came to this conclusion.

But then I used shampoo bars and loved them even better! And I use a small amount of curlybrunette's leave in conditioner.

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
Old 04-21-2010, 06:52 PM

I have been using Hugo Natuals "everyday" shampoo and feel like it dries out my hair.
I wash everyother day and it is definately dry. I would also like some suggestions.

I didn't like the Baking soda either. Never even tried the ACV.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 PM

I really like Kiss My Face's obsessively organic hair care line. It's $8 a bottle for shampoo (or cheaper if you buy a 3-pack from Amazon), but it works well for us.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 PM

I tried the baking soda thing and it worked out ok. But I went back to my Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint shampoo bar. It has no nasty ingredients, lasts a long time, and usually costs between $5-$6.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the recs so far!

I have a friend who works for Whole Foods, and she gets free samples, so if I put together a list of brands I want to try, she'll bring me samples to try to see what I like... I'm going to ask her about those that you all mentioned so far...

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 04-22-2010, 04:21 AM

There is a similar thread in Frugality and Finances. I listed a bunch of brands there, as did other people. That thread will help you with your list for your generous friend!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 04-22-2010, 01:02 PM

I go back and forth between Dr. Bronner's and Shikai brand shampoos and conditioners.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM

I used to work for WF in the Whole Body dept so I have tried everything.

Aubrey Organics all the way. Specifically the Blue Chamomile shampoo if your hair tends towards dry. I love love love it.

ETA: Its hard to get samples for Aubrey, but if you buy it at WF and it doesn't work for you you can return it, even if its open and half-gone. If your friend buys it for you she can get you a discount.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
There is a similar thread in Frugality and Finances. I listed a bunch of brands there, as did other people. That thread will help you with your list for your generous friend!
Thanks! I will certainly go check it out!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM

I use J.R. Liggetts shampoo bar. It's awesome!

Baking soda and vinegar left my hair icky. Baking soda and honey turned it into straw. The shampoo bar leaves it soft.

I sometimes use coconut oil after a shower, to help keep it from getting too dry. This is the healthiest my hair has been for years.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
Old 04-22-2010, 06:27 PM

whole foods 365 brand has these glycerin bars that are awesome (plus they run typically under $3 depending on type of bar) they are awesome. We were orignally using an organic bottle shampoo and soap but then switched to these because well im cheap and everyone in my family has some severe fragrance/dye allergies and everyone having a different kind of soap was too much.

They are organic and glycerin without any added gross things plus they do have some fragranced ones like rosemary,oatmeal,tea tree, olive oil (great for my dry hair) LOVE LOVE LOVE them plus they last a long time. We use them for body/hair and im sticking to it with this baby as well as they are very gentle.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM

I use Giovanni shampoos/conditioners.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Old 04-25-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post

Me too. Just switched to these about a month or so ago. I really like them. I tend to get sensitive to products after a while. So far, so good. And you can buy small sample sizes of these at WF. Good luck!

Healing Mama to :
Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 AM

My very favorite shampoo brand is Aubrey Organics. It's a bit pricey IMO, though.

I also make my own shampoo using the recipe by Rosemary Gladstar in her book The Family Herbal. It's easy enough to make. The ingredients are liquid castile soap, jojoba oil, drops of essential oils and herbs based upon your preference/hair type.

I have also used Whole Foods brand shampoos, but am not in love with them.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 AM

I love Organix...the coconut or shea formulas are the least drying of all I've tried. 365 and Nature's Gate are really drying ime. Jessiecurl is OK as far as drying (the cleanser is actually more drying than the shampoo ime). ETA: I have since switched to WEN after being unhappy with other no-poo methods. It's outrageously expensive but doesn't have terrible ingredients and I love my hair now.

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM

nature's gate , kiss my face, avalon organics, and dr.bronners have all worked well for us

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Banned

i also use shampoo bars. we started with lush's coconut oil one. it's great. my hair feels great and we have hard water. one bar lasts us about two months.

another thing that helps is not washing every day, and using a wooden comb or boar-bristle brush (natural fibers) to draw the oil down from the scalp. i wash every 3rd day or so (sometimes less), and brush twice a day. it's where those 100 strokes by the brush rules come from.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
I love Organix...the coconut or shea formulas are the least drying of all I've tried. 365 and Nature's Gate are really drying ime. Jessiecurl is OK as far as drying (the cleanser is actually more drying than the shampoo ime). ETA: I have since switched to WEN after being unhappy with other no-poo methods. It's outrageously expensive but doesn't have terrible ingredients and I love my hair now.
Shelli - WEN is nothing more than conditioner. There are tons of thread about the "Conditioner Only" method. Basically, you buy cheap conditioner - I think VO5 is one that's commonly recommended - and you use that as your "shampoo". You can do this yourself without spending all the money on WEN products.

If you google WEN and "conditioner only" you'll get lots of info.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint shampoo bar. It's part of their "outdoor" line so it's in a green package, not yellow. I love this! Works great on my face and body, too. Simplifies things in the shower and great to travel with!

lady.gif
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBoo View Post
I use J.R. Liggetts shampoo bar. It's awesome!

Baking soda and vinegar left my hair icky. Baking soda and honey turned it into straw. The shampoo bar leaves it soft.

I sometimes use coconut oil after a shower, to help keep it from getting too dry. This is the healthiest my hair has been for years.
Another vote for J.R. Liggetts. It's amazing. Before I discovered it, I used to condition my hair twice: at the beginning of my shower to get out all the knots, and after the shampoo so my hair would look good when it dried. Now I don't even really need conditioner at all. And my hair looks great for days after using it. You have to mail order it, but it's sooooo worth it.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 PM

For really curly/wiry/crazy/frizzy hair, IMO you can't do better than Miss Jessie's. Amazing products, have transformed my hair completely.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 PM

I have really, really dry hair and have tried tons of different all natural shampoos and conditioners. The one that seems to moisturize the best for me is Aubrey Organic's J.A.Y Desert Herb shampoo and conditioner. I don't love the smell, but my hair looks and feels really healthy when I use it.

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
I use them to, but have a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE problem with them, the Tea Tree Triple Treat variety, specifically.

The problem? It smells so yummy that I want to wash my hair every day, which is both bad for my hair/scalp and our already limited water situation .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:53 AM

I like Gentle Lentil by Lush. It is a shampoo bar, you have to get it off the website, it isn't in stores.

I also like Jessi Curl

I am trying the curly girl method atm so I am just using conditioner.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM

I've used African Formula Let it Grow for many years now. I use it alone--no conditioner follow up. A little pricey, and only available online...but we stock up and save money on conditioner
Old 05-09-2010, 02:44 AM

I just switched to Live Clean and it is sulfate and parabean free, has organic botanicals, is vegan and is found at local drug stores. It has a light scent and a good lather. I'm a week into using it and I like it.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Another big, BIG vote for Giovanni products! I've tried just about every brand under the sun and they were HANDS DOWN the winner! They are so wonderful! The shampoos behave and lather like a real shampoo, and I use the Smooth As Silk Conditioner which behaves just as a traditional conditioner should! I found most of the other brands were either too mayonaissy/greasy and nearly impossible to apply because they were so thick or too watery and didn't condition at all. This stuff is AWESOME and is actually one of the least expensive natural brands out there!

I will say that since I only wash my hair about every 4 days, I need to shampoo twice. I actually like to use their golden wheat variety for the first wash to get everything out and then the smooth as silk shampoo for the second wash. I find if I don't my hair gets greasier faster (I've always washed it every 4 days cuz it's really dry and I hate how it puffs up when I wash it!)

The Smooth as Silk conditioner has a rating of a 2 on cosmetics database, and the main thing that boosts it's score is an ingredient rating of a 4 for "trace minerals" that are "unspecified" - I can live with that. The smooth as silk shampoo isn't listed but the golden wheat is a 3 for similar "trace minerals"

P.S. - I always get compliments on how my hair smells
Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Dr. Christopher's BF&C shampoo and conditioner are completely natural like Aubrey products. These products work even better than Aubrey for me and smell wonderful. You might have to order them online though. I rarely see them in stores.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM

How do these other SLS-free shampoos work for shiny,wavy hair? My hair is naturally very shiny and somewhat wavy but with no-poo and Aubrey Organics it leaves my hair dull and limp. I use a conditioner now afterwards (I'm using Aubrey Organics) but it's still not the same as it used to be.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

User Tag List