Mothering Forum banner

Switching to mama cloth, how much do I need?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Purple*Lotus 
#1 ·
What does your stash consist of? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much I need.

Also, do you wash it on its own or with something else? Towels?

#2 ·
I went and counted, just for you.

I alternate between cloth pads and a Diva cup throughout my cycle, with no pattern that I can pick out.
I have 5 pads and 10 liners. I probably only needed 3-4 pads, but it took me a bit to figure out what I needed and liked. If I didn't want to wash mid-period I would need more. And, I actually have 5 more liners that I don't use at all that you can have (PM/email me). I found that I really only like the liners with wings.

By the second or sometimes third day of my period, the flow is light enough that I switch to using the liners at pantyliners. I sewed ric-rack into a couple of pairs of underwear, modeled after these.

I wash with either diapers, sheets, kitchen rags (nothing greasy), towels, etc. Obviously, no fabric softners or scents. I mostly use Charlies, although I have been looking for a free and clear natural laundry detergent. I don't really care about stains, but do regularly line dry in the spring, summer and fall and the sun keeps them mostly stain-free.

#5 ·
I use my Diva cup, and have 3 pads with wings, and 4 pantyliners without wings that I almost NEVER use. I wash them with diapers, if I didn't have diapers I probably would wash them with towels.

#6 ·
I also use a Diva cup so this may not be too helpful if you're not because my pads are only for just-in-case backup and lighter bleeding at the beginning/end. I have 2 light pads and 3 pantyliners with fleece waterproofing, plus 3 pantyliners that are not waterproofed. I use the non-waterproof ones for non-blood discharge and everyday kind of stuff. All of them have wings.

I usually handwash my pads and hang to dry, though sometimes I'll toss them in with my delicates. We don't do that much laundry around here so I don't want to have the bloody ones sitting around. I've found that one thing to consider if you are air drying is that the thickness of the pad will affect the drying time. My non-waterproof liners will dry overnight, the waterproof liners (with a backing fleece layer) take about a day, and the light pads (with a fleece layer and one absorbent layer in the middle) take about two days. So I would expect that a thicker pad would take even longer and you might need to use the dryer to make sure the inside is thoroughly dry? Anyway just a thought on laundry stuff.

#7 ·
I have 6 nice big ones with wings~ I'm a fluffy mama and need the length, and about 6 short pantyliners I NEVER use. Again, because I need the length. I have 3 long liners I do use though.

I purchase all of mine through etsy wahmies. I admit I have far more than I need for my typical moon but I plan on purchasing about 3 more heavies for my ppbleed after this babe.
I wash with towels with a f&c and no softeners of course.

I love my cloth~ I have some really funky prints and actually think they are fun

I switched a few years ago to cloth and wish I had soooo much sooner.

#8 ·
I have about six I think.

I wash mine on cold with *whatever*. We don't wear fancy clothes in this house. It's true that if I see DH's white sweater in the laundry pile I will put it in a different load, and when I wash my fancy velvet skirt once a year I probably wouldn't mix that JUST in case. But otherwise, no special load. I have NEVER experienced any clothes being stained.

Washing with bath and kitchen towels, and family cloth, is also easy, too.

#9 ·
Hey,

Until very recently, I was using cloth pads full-time (got a diva cup last cycle). I sewed all my own out of flannel left over from rag quilts. So, I have enough pads to get me through my cycle. Just a sec, let me go count how many that is...

I have 12 PUL-backed huge AIO's for my heavy days and then 22 stuffable envelope-style smaller ones for regular or light days.

I have a slightly heavier-than-average period but I rarely go through all 22 of the light-flow pads. I probably only ever need about 12 of them.

I crocheted a cotton net bag for the used pads that I keep by the toilet, then I throw the net bag full of pads in the wash and dryer and then voila! They're all clean for next month.

I went through a cloth-pad making frenzy about three years ago, which is why I have so many of them. I made the envelope-style ones first which is why there's so many of them... I had to perfect it. Then when my friend was pregnant, I made her some PUL-backed mama pads for her post-birth... and while I was at it, I made myself a dozen, too.

Hope that's helpful.
-Danielle

#10 ·
My main stash consists of 10 pads and 20 liners. I have extra liners in case of a super heavy day. For nighttime I have 6 pads for that, 2 liners each.

That usually gets me through most of my period.

Since I live with my parent's now, I wash them alone in a small load. When I lived on my own I washed them with towels. For some reason I am not comfortable doing that with communal towels. So that is why I do it seperatly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.