diagnose my menstrual cup problem, please?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a diva cup (size 2). This is my 3rd period using it. I cut the stem off completely on the first cycle because it was poking/pinching. On the second cycle, I learned about turning it inside out to make it shorter, which helped the comfort factor immensely.

I've never had leaking problems & insertion isn't a insurmountable issue. It is comfortable, barely (if at all) noticeable when I've gotten it optimally inserted.

The HUGE problem is that by the end of my period (say, 3 days into my period), my vagina is soooo irritated, itching, burning, etc. Both previous cycles. Feels like a yeast infection. It is NOT a yeast infection, it goes away within a day or two of stopping using the diva cup.

So I am definitely not in love with this particular menstrual cup. Anyone else have what is feeling like a kind of allergic reaction to the diva cup and go on to find something more suitable. Shorter and or softer would be better. I'm worried it's the material and I think almost all of them are made out of the same material.

Anyone have any suggestions?

ETA: I've bee looking around and it looks like it may be an allergic reaction, albeit rare. I wonder if any of the other silicone cups are different enough so as to not cause a reaction. Which brands offer money back guarantees? Anyone?

--amy
DS1 is 5, DD is 3, DS2 is 2.
#2 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Could it be the product you are using to wash the cup?

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#3 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not washing with anything. Just hot water. Could *that* be the problem?

--amy
#4 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 PM

I kind of understand what you mean. I have a Keeper (the original rubber one), and I've been using it for 6 years or so. Some months, I find it a little annoying. The more often I remove it, the worse it is. During heavy cycles, I find it more annoying. I've found that it helps to use (cloth) pads occasionally during my cycle. Usually I wear a pad one night during my cycle, and I wear a pantiliner or nothing (and just plan on dirty underwear) on the last couple days of my cycle when the flow is diminished.

If you think the problem is the shape of the cup, you could try something else. I really like the shape of my Keeper. They make a silicone version, it's called the Moon Cup
http://www.keeper.com/ordering.html

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 14 Old 05-30-2010, 11:06 PM

I experience something similar, although perhaps a bit milder. Feels just like yeast to me. Basically what I've started doing is using light cloth pads for the first day and the last couple, when my flow is quite light, and using the cup for the middle 4 days. It depends on the length of your period, but it might be doable.
#6 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 AM

Try soaking it in sterilizing solution between uses or boil it in water for 10 minutes before reinserting it.
This means, every time you take it out!

It is annoying but for some women this is the only possibility.

Washing only is not enough for some women.
I bought a second one due to this and things have gotten much easier ;-).
#7 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 PM

I had similar issues with the Diva Cup. It just wasn't a good fit for me.

But I have loved using a Ladycup. It is softer, smaller, and shorter. It did have a stem that bothered me. I cut the stem off, and then filed the rough edges with a nail file. (I tried turning it inside out, but this made it leak)
It really is a perfect fit for me. I bought mine on E-bay. If you are not particular about the color, be patient, and you can find a good deal. I think typical price is around $20, but I have seen them sold for $12.
#8 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM

How often are you emptying/removing?

I have a silicone keeper (moon cup), and I get irritated if I take it out too frequently.
#9 of 14 Old 06-04-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larablue View Post
Try soaking it in sterilizing solution between uses or boil it in water for 10 minutes before reinserting it.
This means, every time you take it out!

It is annoying but for some women this is the only possibility.

Washing only is not enough for some women.
I bought a second one due to this and things have gotten much easier ;-).
I think I will get a 2nd, just in case, a different brand, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nancy~ View Post
But I have loved using a Ladycup. It is softer, smaller, and shorter. It did have a stem that bothered me. I cut the stem off, and then filed the rough edges with a nail file. (I tried turning it inside out, but this made it leak)
It really is a perfect fit for me. I bought mine on E-bay. If you are not particular about the color, be patient, and you can find a good deal. I think typical price is around $20, but I have seen them sold for $12.
Thank you for the specific tips. I love ebay & I can be patient, so I will watch for a deal. Thanks! I need shorter & softer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
How often are you emptying/removing?

I have a silicone keeper (moon cup), and I get irritated if I take it out too frequently.
I'm only taking out twice a day (morning and night).

I'm extremely embarrassed to say that I think I solved the problem. I had been just rinsing well in hot water at changes. I boiled it. Then I began washing really well with soap at every change. Not even a touch of the irritation that I've gotten before. So it was a cleanliness issue.

Thanks ladies!

--amy
#10 of 14 Old 06-10-2010, 02:54 PM

I wash mine with soap and water at every change (morning/night) and occasionally I will soak it in hydrogen peroxide or alcohol. I keep meaning to boil it but have never gotten around to it. I've had mine for 7 years. I only use it for about 2-3 days per month.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#11 of 14 Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM

I had the same problem with my Diva Cup too and had to switch to the rubber Keeper. I haven't had any problems since!

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#12 of 14 Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM

Glad it worked for you!
#13 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 PM

Stay away from silicone cups!! I used them and was allergic. The only truly dependable cup is a German brand called MELUNA. I can't rate them highly enough. No irritation and they do more sizes and have a soft version with more stems. They are the best!!
#14 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Stay away from silicone cups!! I used them and was allergic. The only truly dependable cup is a German brand called MELUNA. I can't rate them highly enough. No irritation and they do more sizes and have a soft version with more stems. They are the best!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page