Taking care of curly toddler hair. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds2 has very curly hair, but dh and I (and also ds1) have stick straight hair. I'm not sure how to take care of it, and what if anything extra needs to be done to keep it from getting so tangled. We'd really hate to cut it.

Here is his hair dry

Here is his hair wet

TIA!

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#2 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 PM

dd has really curly hair and we use a pick. when we shower her, we take the tiniest amount of conditioner after washing and run it through her hair with the pick. we do this maybe 2-3 times a week. i also use water in a spray bottle with the pick when it's dry and is in need of de tangling. the process is long, as i'm very gentle when getting the tangles out, but it works really well for us.
#3 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
my youngest has curly hair and i have wavy hair. My biggest advice is not to really brush it and to wash infrequently. Wash only when you have to(ie, food, chlorine, etc) and other days just rinse with water or condition only. Run your fingers through it when wet but don't brush. Brushing separates the curls and makes for frizz. After nap if you have a bozo-style hairdo spray with a spray bottle and finger-comb and let it air dry. If you condition well every time he is bathed, you will probably have less tangling, but honestly, that's the nature of curls. They are tangly. It's one of those thing syou just live with. But conditioning well and not brushing helps a TON.

oh and this is my little girl after sweating through a nap this week.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...bugs/001-2.jpg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#4 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds about like what I've been doing. When he gets baths, I shampoo him first and then put in conditioner and leave it in while I wash the rest of him, making his hair the last thing to get rinsed. I also use a detangling spray after I towel dry his hair. I only really wash his hair when he gets food in it and have been making an effort to try to get any tangles out before bed and when he wakes up in the morning.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#5 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's mommy View Post
That sounds about like what I've been doing. When he gets baths, I shampoo him first and then put in conditioner and leave it in while I wash the rest of him, making his hair the last thing to get rinsed. I also use a detangling spray after I towel dry his hair. I only really wash his hair when he gets food in it and have been making an effort to try to get any tangles out before bed and when he wakes up in the morning.
I'd say you're doing pretty well. I also second justmama's recommendation to never, ever brush curly hair. It's probably the worst thing you can do.

I have absolutely insane curly hair. I wash it only when necessary. I also use a cream leave-in conditioner in combination with a detangling spray. You could try using the spray all over and using the cream on the top layers of the frizziest/most tangled spots.

Also, get a wide-tooth comb and use that to make sure the conditioner is spread evenly before you wash him. That's key, I've found.
#6 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Even though he is a boy, I suggest checking out the book Curly Girl from the library. It has a wealth of information about how curly hair is different from straight hair and includes several important tips. The fancier stuff is unnecessary for many people (boys or girls), but it is nice the authors included it for those who wish to go that route.

I have curly hair and my daughter has straight hair. We both read the book several times from the library. My hair has always been rather easy-care, but I learned a few tricks that have been GREAT! My daughter's hair has been challenging due to excessive tangling and dryness. The methods described in the book have helped her straight hair, too!

The WAY you shampoo and condition can make a big difference. Shampoos can be very harsh. Drying hair can be problematic (not just with a blow dryer, but different methods). All I changed with my hair care is the method I use to wash, condition, and dry my hair. I didn't change the frequency nor the products. BIG DIFFERENCE!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 7 Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM

My daughter has SUPER CURLY, ringlet hair. She is 4 and when wet and straight it is all down her back! LOTS of tangles! I also have stick straight, fine (and oily) hair - complete opposite!
I agree with everything the previous posters said - one thing I swear by it Honey Hemp Conditioner from oyin handmade.
So what I do is wash with a 2-and-1 shampoo/conditioner in the tub.... rinse out.... when she gets out of the tub, I wrap her up and out to the couch or bed we go - I put in a quarter to half-dollar dollop of the honey hemp conditioner and then comb through with a pick..... Yes, it is a leave-in for her.

The curls look great, smell great, and stay healthy.

In my opinion, if you DON'T comb through it and just finger pick - well for my daughter, you'd have dreadlocks in 2 days flat..... it gets matted quickly. I will say my hair knots like mad so maybe she got that part from me.

Good luck! I'm going to check into that book that was recommended to see if i learn anything new. I had no idea either - I learned most of what i know from my mop top midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page