Alternatives To Bleach???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-03-2001, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, all. I have just moved into a home that has white tile and white grout and white sinks in the kitchen. Any non-bleach suggestions for keeping the surfaces white? Thanks, Calgal
#2 of 9 Old 12-03-2001, 11:22 AM

it really does work. you can get it at Sam's, that way you don't have to order off tv. i also use it in the laundry. scuse the terseness and lack of caps, but i'm nak!
#3 of 9 Old 12-03-2001, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I will try it! Thanks for the tip. Now, go get dressed!
#4 of 9 Old 12-03-2001, 01:39 PM

Nonononono -- the lack of caps WAS confusing, wasn't it? NAK stands for Nursing At Keyboard, not Naked. Not that I'm not naked at my 'puter on a regular basis, but it would have no effect on my grammar or punctuation.

Namaste,

Pallas
#5 of 9 Old 12-03-2001, 02:22 PM

Dh brought home some of that oxyclean stuff. Is that what you are talking about? Is it suppossed to be non-poisonous, better than bleach? I was curious bc I thought I had seen commercials advertising how good for the environment or safe to use around kids, but on the label it seemed to advise that it was a poison. Maybe I'm talking about st different.

btw I also have white porcelin sinks, and they are a devil to keep white. Lately I have been using baking soda as a paste and scrubbing. Works pretty good, but not as good as comet unfortunately, but I am determined to only use non poisonous cleaners any more.
#6 of 9 Old 12-03-2001, 07:24 PM

I had trouble with my white porcelin sink after switching over to baking soda & vinegar only. I bought a plastic tub (like the kind you get at a hospital to bath baby in). I set it down in my sink and use it to wash dishes in, it keeps down those ugly black marks that take a lot of elbow grease to scrub out. I refuse to go back to chemicals!
#7 of 9 Old 12-03-2001, 07:29 PM

I have the same concerns about having a non-toxic household. I make my own laundry soap, use ecover in my dishwasher, clean with vinegar, baking soda, salt, lemon -- you get the idea. I feel pretty comfortable with this stuff. I wouldn't DRINK it, but I've done some pretty intense cleaning with high concentrations and no gloves, and my hands don't have that chemical feeling that they used to when I cleaned with mainstream products.

(I also have tile & grout countertops so I completely understand the challenge of getting it clean without bleach.)

So that's my .02!
#8 of 9 Old 12-04-2001, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Pallas,
Guess I gave away my age there; haven't had a nursing babe for nine years (sniffle -- would have had dozens of babes, but number 2 was high-risk, and frightened us!) Anyway, I got a good laugh out of the little misunderstanding. Naked at Keyboard gives an immediate visual. . . Calgal
#9 of 9 Old 12-06-2001, 05:06 AM

is one alternative...or is that what is in oxy???

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page