natural hair conditioner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-02-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother has recently switched to natural shampoo bars (which I've been using for 2 years now). I use a vinegar rinse to condition my hair and it's fine. But she is finding that her hair is getting quite dry, even with the vinegar rinse.

Is there anything she can put in her hair before or after shampooing that would condition it and restore some moisture? She is 74 and has white hair, though it is thick and healthy. She also swims regularly so is battling the chlorine effect, too.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#2 of 11 Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 AM

I'm actually surprised that her hair is dry after using the vinegar rinse--I find it to be the MOST conditioning. I wonder if she could just do a conditioning treatment maybe once a week...like with a hot oil, or beer, mayo, eggs...I'm sure there are threads on here with different deep conditioning concoctions
#3 of 11 Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
is she a curly head? ime, ppl. curly hair get dryer hair then those with straight hair. try olive oil, jojoba oil, glycerin...

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#4 of 11 Old 07-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Coconut milk works wonderfully.
I usually use the canned kind for my hair.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#5 of 11 Old 07-04-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

She is half Asian so her hair is straight and thick. But it is all white and I'm sure that changes the texture somewhat. Still, I find vinegar conditions my hair beautifully so I'm also surprised. She may have damaged ends.

So how do you use coconut milk or the oils? Do you put it in before you wash your hair?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#6 of 11 Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 PM

i add a dab, depending on length and texture, to the ends of my hair. i have just about waist long hair and its thick and curly so i add. two or three tablespoons for the bottom foot of my hair.

if she has short hair i would add a dine sized squirt to the palm of her hand, maybe less, and smooth it into her hair.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#7 of 11 Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ian'smommaya. Do you do this before you wash your hair or after (leave-in)?

#8 of 11 Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM

i use it as a leave in. you can do just about any kind of "good" oil you like. cooconut, olive, sweet almond, i would go with coconut or olive.

#9 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
She is half Asian so her hair is straight and thick. But it is all white and I'm sure that changes the texture somewhat. Still, I find vinegar conditions my hair beautifully so I'm also surprised. She may have damaged ends.

So how do you use coconut milk or the oils? Do you put it in before you wash your hair?
Sometimes I use as a treatment before or after washing. I blend it up with a banana and some type oil(flax, evoo, coconut). I put it on followed by a shower cap and let it sit awhile.

Other times, I just use mixed with some water or hair tea (nettles, lavendar, etc) and poured over my hair as a conditioner after a wash.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#10 of 11 Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies!

Mum was here visiting this week and I had a chance to see what happens after she washes and conditions. Turns out her hair is doing great - she is used to taking a finely-toothed comb and combing through the whole length of her hair in one sweep. I told her you cannot expect that when you are not using gooey chemicals that coat your hair with crap! I showed her how I comb my hair and she agreed it was quite acceptable. After her hair dried it looked fabulous and healthy, and she agreed that she could tell her hair was getting healthier.

The problem is her hair ends, which are badly damaged and feel like straw. She is going to get the bottom inch cut off and then do a treatment as suggested above. Thanks, everyone!

#11 of 11 Old 07-09-2010, 12:11 PM

i use organix coconut milk shampoo and conditioner and it has transformed my hair

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page