Diva Cup? Can't wear tampons, would a DC work instead? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, ever since I had my munchkin I can't wear tampons b/c they cause me to feel swollen and are just not comfortable at all. Do you think that a diva cup would work better? I really hate pads (sposies and mama cloth alike - I just hate them!) and want to use something internal since I liked tampons before I got preggo.

Any insight would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM

I'm new to the whole reusable menstrual scene too, but I ordered a LadyCup based on some reviews I read. Apparently there are a lot of drawbacks to the Diva in terms of comfort and ability to keep them clean (I think they have little holes on the top that get plugged). I don't personally know about all the ins and outs (so to speak), but I did find some really good reading material...
try checking out
http://ecomenses.com/ and http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM

I've just recently gotten a Diva Cup and have found it more comfortable than tampons ever were.

I've just finished my 3rd cycle with it and have had no problems with the holes getting plugged (the holes help create a bit of suction to keep it in place while it's in) You just fill it up with warm water, put your palm on top, turn it upside down and push a bit to force water out of the holes.

I was kind of sad when I found out that there were other brands that came in colors. I'd kind of like a colored one.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM

I hate tampons and am on only day 2 of using the diva cup and love it! It felt like it was falling out at first and even cutting the stem off didn't help so I flipped it inside out and fell in love! It is way better than tampons!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
I've just recently gotten a Diva Cup and have found it more comfortable than tampons ever were.
Ditto! I never loved tampons. Always felt like it was impossible to get them in right AND that I bled way too much for even the plus-plus whatever size. THEN after giving birth, tampons felt like cardboard hell. The smooth secure silicone of the DIva is sooooo much more comfortable!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Another Diva Cup fan here. I think it may be easier to buy than some of the other cups which is why it's so popular. Anyway, you can find some good deals online for menstrual cups so you might want to look for a good sale just in case it doesn't work out for you. I do like it much better than tampons though (also not a fan of pads, except as backup).
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM

I use a Diva Cup too but wondering if anyone else flips theirs inside out like Katie T? I haven't tried flipping it inside out but if it makes sense to do it that way I will! I love the diva cup but there was a bit of a learning curve so stick with it! Took me 5 or 6 cycles to figure out how to get it just right each time.

:
Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM

I love my Diva cup. I used to use tampons before I had my kids. Couldn't stand them after I had my first dd and all of my kids were c-sections. Go figure! lol But I love my Diva Cup and recommend it to everyone. When it's time to replace it I will get another one.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM

I am ordering a diva cup next week, a week before my cycle starts.... tampons irritate the heck out of me and dry me out. Pads cause vulva irritation which is HORRIBLE and the worst feeling I have ever felt, worst than a yeast infection imb.... I hope you find comfort in your new cup

hola.gif
Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 AM

I also love the Diva cup, but found it uncomfortable before I flipped it inside out. There's a livejournal community about menstrual cups (google took me there) that answers any question you could ever have, I'm pretty sure, and was helpful to me.

I do use cloth pads as backup on heavier days, as I can't always get the time to empty it when I need to.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 AM

Another vote for the Diva Cup!! Just got one recently after having a Keeper for close to 10 years. Loved my Keeper but it's hard to clean. Love that you can boil the DC.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 PM

I have NEVER been able to wear tampons- so uncomfy! but I LOVE my Diva!

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM

i was "assaulted" if you catch my drift a few years ago and CAN NOT wear tampons but i do wear my Diva and you really can't feel it. I love it.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

User Tag List