Diva cup or Keeper? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I've had my Keeper for almost 10 years now, and it's time to get a new one. I'd say I got my money's worth! I was looking about Diva Cups, and found that they should be replaced once yearly.

Has anyone used both and which do you prefer and why?

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#2 of 18 Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

no one?

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#3 of 18 Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 PM

I read your question but I've only used the Diva cup, sorry!
#4 of 18 Old 07-31-2010, 05:46 PM

I love my femmecup SO much. It's worth checking out too.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#5 of 18 Old 07-31-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of that one! Thanks for the tip.

#6 of 18 Old 07-31-2010, 06:30 PM

I used a Diva Cup for a short while. I had trouble with it pinching me. I never used the Keeper so, I cant give you an opinion on preference.

But... Today, I just got an email from Glad Rags advertising a 25% discount on the on the Moon cup which is the silicone version of the Keeper. I copied and pasted the email below:

Save 25% on Moon Cups!

Through August 7th, score a Moon Cup for only $26 and never experience that discomfort again! Plus, the Moon Cup makes all kinds of summer fun possible. From swimming to cycling, you'll be worry-free! Just enter coupon code SWIMFAN to get your discount.

Also, I should mention Free Shipping on all U.S. Orders!

Through August 6th, all orders within the United States ship free. There's no minimum order or coupon code, just place your order by 12 pm on August 6th to have it shipped for free!

I think I am going to pick up a Moon Cup and give it a try... After the baby is born and my period returns, that is.

Jennifer, first time Mom, working full time, married to Paul. Katherine "Kate" Mary Lou was born 8.10.10.
#7 of 18 Old 07-31-2010, 06:40 PM

This is a good site to research Menstrual Cup options.

http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/

Jennifer, first time Mom, working full time, married to Paul. Katherine "Kate" Mary Lou was born 8.10.10.
#8 of 18 Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Can I give this a bump? I can't use diva cup but am contemplating trying a keeper.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#9 of 18 Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 PM

hands down the keeper. I loved mine and replaced it with the diva cup after dd was born and wished I never did. (I had no idea that the diva needed to be replaced yearly though...gives me an excuse to get another keeper!).

the keeper is more comfortable, is made of a renewable resource, and NEVER leaked. The diva leaks constantly, so much that I mostly only use my cloth pads and only use the diva at the end of my moon.

after this baby comes and I am back to using a menstrual cup, I'm buying a keeper...

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#10 of 18 Old 09-04-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrymamma View Post
hands down the keeper. I loved mine and replaced it with the diva cup after dd was born and wished I never did. (I had no idea that the diva needed to be replaced yearly though...gives me an excuse to get another keeper!).

the keeper is more comfortable, is made of a renewable resource, and NEVER leaked. The diva leaks constantly, so much that I mostly only use my cloth pads and only use the diva at the end of my moon.

after this baby comes and I am back to using a menstrual cup, I'm buying a keeper...
Did you find the keeper to be shorter than diva? I'm also wondering about sizes. I got the post birth size diva. I had a c/s and am petite (tmi, maybe I have petite lady parts too? It took me years to figure out tampons) I'm wondering what size keeper to order or if I should just try sea sponges as those are cheaper and prob have an easier learning curve?

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#11 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerMother View Post
Did you find the keeper to be shorter than diva? I'm also wondering about sizes. I got the post birth size diva. I had a c/s and am petite (tmi, maybe I have petite lady parts too? It took me years to figure out tampons) I'm wondering what size keeper to order or if I should just try sea sponges as those are cheaper and prob have an easier learning curve?
I did find my keeper to be shorter yes...but of course following vaginal birth everything is very different and I have no assurance that a keeper will work now either, but that said, I'm giving it a try for sure.

I'm not sure what size maybe someone else?

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#12 of 18 Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM

the diva says something about the fda or one of those reccomendign to replace it at 12 months b/c of what its used for....so do you HAVE TO....well i say if its still in fine condition whats the point?

as far as the moon cup/keeper or the diva goes I bought the diva b/c it was at my local store and therefore was more convienient and eco-friendly (vs having it shipped)

now if i were to have it shipped i would have gone with the moon cup b/c its from the US...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#13 of 18 Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 PM

I didn't know I was supposed to replace the diva, and I really can't see why you would have to. I keep it excessively clean. It seems like a way to make more sales to me. 30$ for the next decade is way too cheap!

That having been said, I love love love my diva. I had a couple of years of nonstop heavy bleeding and it saved my sanity. Now that I'm turning 30 and having my first baby I'll need a new one, but I'll probably stick with the diva. It seems to fit my body (I could never use tampons). I've never tried a keeper though.
#14 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a Keeper for about 10 years pre-baby, and now have had a Diva for just a few months.

They're pretty similar actually. The Keeper was a little stiffer and got discolored over time; the Diva is a little softer but the difference isn't huge.

My Keeper also came with a long stem, which I preferred as you could cut it to your specs; my Diva came with just a little nub at the bottom.

I couldn't wear either on heavy flow days. I use tampons for the first two days (when I am soaking through a super tampon every 2-3 hours) and the cup for the last three days (just spotting, I empty it every 12 hours).

I didn't know about the yearly replacement for the Diva. I don't see why that would be necessary and I don't think I am going to replace mine. If I had to do it again I'd probably get the Diva because it is slightly softer, you can boil it, and it doesn't contribute to latex allergies. HTH

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#15 of 18 Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 PM

I've tried both Divacup and Keeper and like the Keeper so.much.better. No leaks, no staining, no lingering odor after cleaning. It's more comfortable too.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#16 of 18 Old 10-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-mac View Post
I didn't know I was supposed to replace the diva, and I really can't see why you would have to. I keep it excessively clean. It seems like a way to make more sales to me. 30$ for the next decade is way too cheap!

That having been said, I love love love my diva. I had a couple of years of nonstop heavy bleeding and it saved my sanity. Now that I'm turning 30 and having my first baby I'll need a new one, but I'll probably stick with the diva. It seems to fit my body (I could never use tampons). I've never tried a keeper though.
I always thought the different sizing for pre and post vaginal birth was a way to boost sales too but nope, I had a Keeper from before I had my son and when I got my period back, it did not contain leaks. I have the post-birth size now and it rocks the house. I've found that when you insert it, you give it a single turn counter clockwise and that stops any initial leakage you might get. I have no intention of replacing my Keeper every year. That's absurd. It gets used for 12 weeks a year and I clean it every day. That seems like a definite way to boost sales. I'm not buying it.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#17 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Diva cup is 5 years old and still looks great. I don't think you need to replace it as long as it's in good shape. Mine does not have any stains or color change either. It's as nice as new.

I use a size 1 (the small one) even though I'm 38 and had two vaginal births. It works for me. The large ones seem to leak more and are less comfortable. I've tried the large with Keeper (the rubber one), Diva and Ladycup and I think I'll stick to the small ones. I've never tried them before childbirth.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#18 of 18 Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been using a keeper for over 10 years. After my first baby, I could not use it, even though I switched to post birth size. It seems to drop down a little and agitate my vaginal opening. I tried buying a Diva and couldn't figure out how to use it. Apparently it is worn differently than a keeper. Now I had my second baby and it is happening again. I really don't want to use pads as I never have. The enviro. friendly ones are not working for me, so I'm using Always pads. So aside from not wanting to wear pads, I'm wearing chlorine bleached disposable pads right now.  Anyone have this experience with their keeper? Do you think maybe I should be using the pre birth one too, like Poddi? Unfortunately I threw my pre birth one away...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page