Irritation from homemade deodorant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I decided to make my own deodorant using 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 5-6 tbsp coconut oil (I used organic, not virgin but noticeably less refined than the louanna type stuff). I have no complaints about odor or anything, but I seem to be reacting to it . I have pretty sensitive skin, it's been making my armpits red and sore and I noticed the other night my skin is actually peeling off Just two days of going back to regular (aluminum filled ) and it's clearing up.

What's up? Could is possibly be too much baking soda for my skin? Should I try doing half the amount of baking soda? If so, would i need to increase the cornstarch? Or maybe it's the cornstarch and I should try arrowroot instead? TIA!
#2 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the baking soda. For those of us with sensitive skin, this stuff regularly causes 'pits of fire'.

I have been using generic Milk of Magnesia whipped into some melted coconut oil as deodorant. It works very well, and does not irritate my underarms at all. You can just smear the Milk of Magnesia on, and that works too, but I felt it was drying out the skin, so I added coconut oil and whipped it into a cream.
#3 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM

try adding something more moisturizing. I make one with shea butter and cocoa butter along with the baking soda and cornstarch. I hate when I get a reaction in my pits, it hurts like crazy... good luck

:
#4 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM

If you shave your pits, make sure you never put your deodorant on immediately afterward. I make a similar deodorant and it was really irritating my skin when I put it on right after shaving.
#5 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! I have been putting it on right after shaving, too, so I'll make sure to wait a bit. I'll pass on what I had made try one of the alternate recipes, too. Thanks!
#6 of 13 Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 PM

Hey not to hijack or anything- but I also wanted to try this, but am worried about the coconut butter staining my clothes... What have you found??
thanks!

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#7 of 13 Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 PM

I had the same irritation so made a new batch with arrowroot powder and coconut oil only--no baking soda. It works the same and no irritation.

Haven't had any staining from the oil although I wondered about this, too!
#8 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 02:57 AM

First I was putting it on with my fingers and I think I was causing irritation by the way I was applying it so I stuffed it into a empty deo dispenser and that seems to work much better with no irritation, just a swipe or two and off I go!

Proud nursing SAHM to EC'd DD March 25/09! Wife to Truck Driving DH March 1/06!
#9 of 13 Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 PM

How much of the milk of magnesia and coconut oil do you use?  

#10 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM

I stopped using baking soda in my deodorant because it irritated my skin terribly (I don't shave.)  Now I use coconut oil, cornstarch (really that's just there to make the mixture thicker and easier to apply, I don't think it does anything toward actually deodorizing), and just a touch of frankincense/myrrh. (The frankincense/myrrh blend is from Ancient Essence; as far as I can see it has no additives, and it is in a roll-on tube which makes it a bit tough to get a few drops to add to my deodorant blend. I just roll it on my finger a bunch of times then stick my finger in the coconut oil mixture! It really does wonders for deodorizing, you just have to be careful not to use much because the scent is veeeery strong.)

I think it's neat how everyone seems to have their own blend that works for them. For instance, so many people use tea tree oil. For me, tea tree oil makes me have really aggressively BAD body odor! It must kill off the wrong bacteria for me or something. Patchouli will cover odor but not prevent or stop it, for me. But coconut oil plus a little frankincense/myrrh, and I have no odor at all. AND it will neutralize odor if I've already started to smell. Good stuff.

#11 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Own View Post

It's the baking soda. For those of us with sensitive skin, this stuff regularly causes 'pits of fire'.

I have been using generic Milk of Magnesia whipped into some melted coconut oil as deodorant. It works very well, and does not irritate my underarms at all. You can just smear the Milk of Magnesia on, and that works too, but I felt it was drying out the skin, so I added coconut oil and whipped it into a cream.

Do you find that this milk of magnesia deoderant keeps you dry and smelling fresh? I am going through a difficult time right now finding a natural deoderant that works. I have tried the baking soda home made versions, and I have even bought the baking soda and toms of maine deoderants and I still will smell bad after I start sweating. (I think some people have a more difficult time with this than others)

novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   homebirth.jpg    lady.gif of 4:bikenew.gif5 yr    blahblah.gif    4 yr   sleepytime.gif   2 yr   baby.gif  2 mo
#12 of 13 Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM

I use a homemade deodorant that I have adapted over time. It contains: bentonite clay, arrowroot powder, coconut oil, beeswax, and essential oils (rosemary, lemongrass, lavender, and bergamot).

I live in a warm climate and the VCO+baking soda+cornstarch recipe becomes a melted mess that irritates my skin. The clay replaces baking soda and the arrowroot powder replaces cornstarch. The beeswax firms it up for use in a deodorant container and/or warm climates. The EOs aid in the effectiveness AND give a nice scent. My EOs are also insect repellants, so I get double-duty protection. While traveling last summer, my deo was so effective in bug protection I received ZERO bug bites while everyone else got several and *I* am usually the one with triple the number of anyone else.

My original recipe was a combination of the angry chicken's (blog) second deo version and crunchy betty's (blog) second version. It has been adapted several times since and I no longer measure or keep track.

The current version in my deo container is not an attractive color (dark gray from the clay), but hasn't discolored any clothing. It goes on as a light gray that blends in and sort of disappears, even though my skin is NOT gray! LOL I used it at 6 am yesterday after a shower (I shaved before applying; no irritation) and had a VERY LONG day (8 am - midnight) out in public with a lot of walking and temperature changes. I fell into bed at 1 am this morning and slept until 8 am and it is now 10 am. So, 28 hours and my deo is still keeping me stink-free, bug-free, and irritation-free. ;)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#13 of 13 Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 PM

I have the same irritation issue with my homemade deodorant and I have managed to keep it under control the majority of the time by putting oil on my pits before I apply the deodorant.  Lately I've been using calendula infused jojoba oil, but straight up jojoba oil works too.  Good luck!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page