Natural Ecezema Remedies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sweet little 2 year old suffers from ecezema on his knees and wrists. I don't think the steriod cream the Dr gave him is working so I'm looking for any natural rememdies. We've tried coconut oil but that doesn't seem to help. Any other suggestions?

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 AM

I would ask around and find a good Naturopath in your area. Find the cause of the eczema. For my dd, it was food allergies. Once we identified and eliminated the foods causing her problems - and added probiotics - her skin cleared up completely and remains clear. I would encourage you to focus on finding the cause of the eczema.

Good luck - I know how challenging this can be - keep searching!
#3 of 9 Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM

my 3 year old has been fighting eczema for a year and a half and it's just awful and incredibly frustrating. We use intense healing hydrocortisone cream when it's really bad. It works pretty well and has less side effects than the prescription we were given. Also, all natural shea butters well. What I have comes in a tupperware container and was bought at an ethnic hair care place for $6 (cheapest place you can get it and is the same thing as the expensive boutique stuff). I've also head of using african black soap, but haven't tried it yet. I also heard singulair can help (of course that's not all natural, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do). I hope you find some relief soon. I know how frustrating this can be.

Kathy wife to one awesome husband and 4 beautiful children (and cooking 1 more due Dec 25!)
#4 of 9 Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Here's a thread I've been following with TONS of insight RE eczema, treatment and cures:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1236426

I've personally found homeopathy in combination with the right lotion or cream (for topical dryness) to be the best solution. As you'll see from the thread above, so many different things work for different folks! Hope you find a cure!
#5 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 02:51 AM

I went to see a homeopath for DD,
he gave me belladonna to help get it under control, I give DD 1/4 tsp of fish oil a day, and put her on probiotics, I also make sure to use a good natural lotion every night and a natural baby oil after her shower!
She is doing much better her rash has been gone for a couple months and I am just crossing my fingers that it won't come back once winter hits!

Proud nursing SAHM to EC'd DD March 25/09! Wife to Truck Driving DH March 1/06!
#6 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM

I swear by Dudu Osun black soap! It's the only thing I know that helps with my eczema and my friend's daughter psoriasis! I haven't seen a dermatologist in years because of it and I highly recommend it to you. Good luck!
#7 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM

I think the most important thing is to get to the root of the eczema. It might be hidden food allergies or a sensitivity to someone else.

I would start with eliminating some of the major culprits (ie. dairy). Also keep a diary of what she eats and when when it is worse.

Definitely good probiotics. Supplementing with high-powered foods like cod liver oil, liver, etc. will also be really beneficial.

Good luck!

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#8 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 PM

we had had luck with an oatmeal natural bar of soap as well as using homade body butters made with shea butter/ olive/ oile and coco butter you can google lotion bars and make them they are easy! plus us an amber neckalce to help with infammation

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#9 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM

I have to agree about getting to the root of the problem. For my dd it was food allergies. You have to be dilligent about moisturizing. I'd leave the moisturizer by the diapers and slap some on her whenever I changed her diaper. The allergist recommended petrolatum hydrolatum (you can get it on amazon.com). Once we got her under control I started looking for other things. We now use an all natural unscented shea butter that works fantastically. Also, believe it or not sun and ocean water. A friend told me her ds's ezcema cleared up after a week at the beach. I took the kids to the ocean and filled up a clean bucket and put some on her. She's been clear for about 2 yrs now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page