How often do you shower? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if I'm a stinky oddball, but I only shower maybe 2 times a week? I dont like to wash my hair to often, and Ive noticed it doesn't get as nearly oily as it used to. I shave my pits often, couple times a week, I dont like the black stubble and I use deoderant. I shave my legs..oh maybe twice a month? Thats if Im wearing shorts somewhere or wearing a bathing suit. And i mean I wear my clothes until they arent fresh anymore, 2-3 times and I use a couple spritzs of perfume. Im sure I dont smell bad, but..am I dirty? Most people I know shower 1-2 times a day or every other day. I just dont feel dirty enough to shower, i mainly shower just to freshen my hair up

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#2 of 29 Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 PM

I don't think you're stinky I actually heard it's better for your hair if you only wash it once or twice a week. I do shower everyday to every 3 days..that's mainly b/c I live in NC where it's crazy hot and I get super sweaty and stinky with these pregnancy hormones I have racing through my body!

Kathy wife to one awesome husband and 4 beautiful children (and cooking 1 more due Dec 25!)
#3 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 AM

I used to shower more before I had DS, but now I also usually only shower 2x a week.. Pretty much the same as you! I have longer hair, so it doesn't need to be washed as often.

I doubt you are dirty, unless you feel dirty! And think of all the water you are saving by not showering 2x a day!
#4 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM

I normally shower every 3 or even 4 days. I do wipe down my pits and crotch daily though. As a PP mentioned, I too have had to bump that up to at least every other day thanks to pregnancy stink.

9/2011 items decluttered
#5 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 02:01 AM

I feel nasty in the am and shower daily for my mental health. But I think it is better for you to not shower very often. I have short hair that gets oily. Some times I just rinse it with water when I shower instead of using soap. I would like to get to a every other day (a stretch it feels with how greasy my hair gets now) for showering hense the only using water.

I don't think it is gross and my dh will go several days with out a shower and he doesn't stink at all IMO.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Well, I'm in the bathtub everyday with DS but use soap only every 2-3 days after workouts, I wash my hair every 3-4 days.

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#7 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 AM

I shower about 2 (maybe 3) times a week unless there's a real reason why I need another shower like I've been working in the yard all day or something.

Momma to my beautiful blessing pinktongue.gif (Nov '08) and two Spirit babies angel3.gif (Dec '09) and angel2.gif (July '10)

#8 of 29 Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 AM

I'm with you, I bathe (shower or bath with DD, depends) twice a week. I feel I need to wash my hair about every 5-6 days (by day 6 I really need to wash it) so my "twice a week" schedule doesn't fall neatly into a 7 day routine. I work from home so I get away with it. I don't feel filthy but I do develop body odor between washings in the summer - but I don't find body odor inherently offensive. (Sure if it's really strong or smells sick, yeah). If I go out between bathing and feel stinky, I'll do a little armpit soap and splash in the sink. I'm not anti-deoderant but i consistently find that it makes me smell sour after a few hours (and yes, I've tried 100 brands). So I feel there's no point in applying a product whose purpose is to keep me from smelling, which makes me smell. I only apply it when I really need to smell perfectly fresh for a few hours - like a job interview or something.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#9 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Every day. I don't wash my hair everyday but I shower everyday. I'm overweight, chasing three kids in the humidity at the beach, park, wherever. If I can smell me I shower lol. Now hair washing I do about 2 times a week. It depends on the week and if we've been swimming. Or I should say I try to shower everyday. I have been known to do the "whore bath" (washcloth under arms and crotch area) lol.
#10 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM

I shower about 2-3 times a week, more if I need to "get away" for a min and that is my relax time lol.

I wash my hair about once every 2 weeks, it is long thick and curly and doesn't get oily for at least 9 days after washing.

I "wipe down" every day

Single mom to 2 boys
#11 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 PM

I shower, and wash my hair every day. Well, every once in awhile if I'm sick or something, I'll skip a day. I guess I'm an oddball - b/c if I don't bathe daily I feel icky.

I also wash my clothes after one wear - except jackets and such.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#12 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Most of the year, I shower every other day or every third day....based entirely on need, not habit finally.

If I am in the shower, I generally wash from top to bottom, including my hair. That is out of habit more than anything else. It happens to coincide with my hair's needs now that the frequency is less than every day, though.

In the summer, between the heat and sweat factor and frequent pool and beach days, I end up showering 5-6 times a week. My hair gets a bit dry and the ends need more frequent trimming as a result.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#13 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM

I shower every day and put on fresh clothes every day, plus fresh pajamas each night. I think that moist privates get smelly, quickly, especially with the added moisture of my partner's secretions. I am relatively active and ride bikes, walk, go places, scrub floors, load dishwashers, do laundry, etc., and I sweat and get smelly.

OP, how do you know you don't smell to others? My husband never knows whether or not he smells because he killed his sense of smell with smoking (or he just plain never had one, he can barely smell a thing).

I smell other people all the time and it's not pleasant for me (perhaps I have an extra-sensitive sense of smell). I don't mind a musky natural smell (like from someone who doesn't use antiperspirant or deodorant but still probably showers daily) and actually quite like it, but there's something far different about a dirty-smelling person.
#14 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I shower, and wash my hair every day. Well, every once in awhile if I'm sick or something, I'll skip a day. I guess I'm an oddball - b/c if I don't bathe daily I feel icky.
Me too. I know a lot of women who skip washing their hair but I think I must not have the right texture. Mine is really fine and thin. If I skip even one day it looks so gross. I wear my jeans several times before I wash them but I change into sweatpants/shorts as soon as I get back home from going anywhere so I figure they aren't that dirty. I wear a new shirt every day lol my son seems to see to it that I either spill something on it myself or he rubs food or dirt on it. I shower at night so I usually wear the same pjs a few days in a row.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#15 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 AM
2xy

I work in a restaurant. I shower every day. If it's my day off and I don't feel or smell gross (I have the nose of a bloodhound), I might skip it, but still wipe down with a cloth. I wash my hair when it looks gross....usually every other day. Sometimes if it doesn't look gross but has kitchen stink from work, I'll just rinse it out.

I plan not to be in this line of work for more than a couple of more years. I'll probably still shower every day. Maybe every other day in the dead of winter.
#16 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 AM

I shower 3-5 days a week. I always wash everything though when I do shower however. I can't not wash my hair. feels weird to skip it.
#17 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
At least every day. Try living in 115 degree heat..., it will make you cranky, hot, sweaty, and crave another shower after dinner.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#18 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post

OP, how do you know you don't smell to others?
uh, im not sure how to respond to that, is that a shot?

I have my work clothes (uniform), home clothes(oldtshirts, shorts/cottonpants) and going out clothes. I luckily live where its not really hot weather, I dont sweat much at all. I work in veggies, fruit and flowers so I wear gloves to keep my hands clean and do a good scrub of my arms and hands after work. I wash my face twice a day, clean undies twice a day and all that, i wear a tshirt only to bed so I wear a new one normally every time I shower. If im DTD, then that calls for a shower, but im a solo parent so thats not a daily occurrence I might shower more if i was going to be so close to someone like a DH, just for their preference not mine so much.

I didnt know if i was just thinking like a hippie again here, but I dont like to just consume, consume, consume, just because i "can". Unless my clothing has stains on it or doesnt have that laundry smell anymore, its hung up and kept clean. Or if my hair isnt smelling nice, then ill wash. Other than that I try use as little water and products as I can, I dont use the dryer, i use a clothes line that kind of thing. I trim/shave the pits and bits, or ill use a washcloth to freshen up. I use perfume when i go to work or whenever and i find my hair retains alot of the shampoo smell.

Im surprised how over the last 2 years of choosing a more natural focus how my body has adapted to produce less oils or produce just enough. My skin isnt dry nor oily, my hair stays lights and soft, its great, i feel good about using our resources as needed.

id like to think i would know if i smelt bad, if i can smell my laundry smell, perfume, shampoo etc then i should be able to sense the opposite

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#19 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 PM

about 3 times per week for washing. I may take a soak in there for a headache or down time too.

hh2.gif

#20 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 11:39 PM

I often shower 2x a day or more in summer but it's hot and sticky down here. I only wash my hair about 2x a week though. I'm just not going to feel guilty for the 2 minute rinse off showers I regularly take.
#21 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhippie View Post
uh, im not sure how to respond to that, is that a shot?
A shot? Like a pot shot?

Well, no. It's just that I know a few people who likely don't know they smell when they smell. My DH is notorious (to me) for not knowing when he has bad breath or is smelly from a hard day at work. I know a lady whose children often stink and I'm positive she just can't smell it. There are people who I encounter just in every day life who stink, and I'm guessing they don't realize they stink, at all. Do I have a super sensitive bat-nose or something? Or do they have less-sensitive or damaged senses of smell? I have no idea, but I just know that to me, they kind of stink.
#22 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I also wash my clothes after one wear - except jackets and such.
This is me too. My hair is long but, my scalp gets so oily. I have to wash it daily - I've tried everything and my scalp just never "adjusts" to not being washed daily.

Plus, I live in the desert - super hot and stinky, plus, I do 50 minutes on the treadmill every day so, daily showering is a must.

I wash my shirts and underwear after wearing them once. I can go a couple times with my bras and jeans / shorts / skirts etc...
#23 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 02:16 PM

I shower every 3-4 days, or after getting really sweaty/dirty. I wash my pits and crotch more often. Honestly there are days when I know it's really time to take a shower but I don't have time before running out the door to do more than wash my pits and apply deodorant.

In terms of hair, I almost never wash it. I shampoo my hair a couple times a year. the rest of the time, I rinse it (and "lather" without soap) most times I shower. Occasionally (once or twice a month) I'll wash it with conditioner. It's self-regulating now. It almost never gets oily (it never has, I've always had dry hair), if it does, those are the few times I shampoo it. If it feels dirty I'll wash with conditioner. Otherwise, a thourough water washing, and plenty of brushing/combing with boar bristle and/or wood is enough for my hair.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#24 of 29 Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM

It varies wildly. I only wash my hair once or twice a week, but I'll shower anywhere from once a day to once every 3 or 4 days. It depends on what I did at work, if I'm going out somewhere special, if it's hot out, or if I just need a cold shower to wake up.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#25 of 29 Old 08-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I often shower 2x a day or more in summer but it's hot and sticky down here.
Same here. I sweat a lot during the summer months. I shower in the morning but sometimes I need to rinse off before bed. When it's cooler my morning shower is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
I feel nasty in the am and shower daily for my mental health.
#26 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 AM

I like to shower daily. My hair person said it is better for hair not to be washed daily or twice a day, but instead every other day or every 3rd day.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#27 of 29 Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 AM

I take a bath every.single.day.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#28 of 29 Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
I don't mind a musky natural smell (like from someone who doesn't use antiperspirant or deodorant but still probably showers daily) and actually quite like it, but there's something far different about a dirty-smelling person.
I think its great that you acknowledge someone who smell may still shower everyday. What I have noticed is that a person's smell has more to do with what they eat, how much stress they experience and what body care products they use than how often they shower. For example I can always tell when my DH has a class lecture because he sweats some serious rankness...because it makes him so nervous! Conventional deodorant and wearing synthetic fibers was making this problem even worse. Yet normally he can go for days without showering and not smell at all.

I am a twice a week shower-er. When my hair was long I went for longer time periods because my hair did not look dirty. But I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle, chasing after imp-like toddler notwithstanding.
#29 of 29 Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually bathe or shower at least once a day but simply because I really enjoy it. I pretty much never use soap (unless I'm truly dirty) & I only wash my hair if I've been swimming (to try to get rid of the chlorine) or it somehow got really dirty. I do condition it regularly (I have extremely dry hair - it never gets oily).

Dh & I had a conversation the other day about camping out for an entire summer & whether it would be something we could do to enable us to build the house we want. We decided that unlike many people the inability to bathe constantly wouldn't really bother us. It's something I always think is funny when I camp for the weekend that people get really stressed about not being able to shower for 2 days.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page